Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

everlast75 wrote: »
    In response to Trump's statement, this happened

Its unsettling how, after almost 3 years, each day is still a 'school day' for the Trump Administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Are people still genuinely shocked by Trump's craziness or are they just pretending to be shocked because they don't like him?

I think many of us aren't shocked at his behaviours, but rather the general apathy and indifference they seem to instill amongst the Republican party supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I have said this before - probably also on here - he is an attention whore who becomes more dangerous when he is an ex-president who can no longer get himself top of world news whenever the mood strikes him simply by sending a tweet. That's when he's going to start revealing top-secret things - and even exaggerating them if not completely making them up if necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Call me Al wrote: »
    I think many of us aren't shocked at his behaviours, but rather the general apathy and indifference they seem to instill amongst the Republican party supporters.

Well, Bill Kristol's taken out an ad targeting Trump in a negative way.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1139283984440070145

So, not ever Republican's rolled over for Trump. Not sure Kristol matters anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Are people still genuinely shocked by Trump's craziness or are they just pretending to be shocked because they don't like him?

Your question appears to suggest that we should just accept things as being "normal" now.

They are not normal.

Nor should we ever take it to be so.

Each and every day is a new low in this administration. It should be recognised as such.

The idea that the question should be "why are you shocked?" is wrong.

The question should be "why aren't you shocked?". Or "why aren't people doing anything about this?" Or "why are people defending this guy?"

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Well, Bill Kristol's taken out an ad targeting Trump in a negative way.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1139283984440070145

So, not ever Republican's rolled over for Trump. Not sure Kristol matters anymore though.

But then you have this.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

87% approval amongst Republicans. And that percentage is fairly consistent.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

But then you have this.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

The base love Trump to be unconventional and controversial as if this is a way to drain the swamp, when in reality the swamp has never been bigger or deeper since he took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

But then you have this.

87% of those who still call themselves Republicans

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Let's not forget the cult of personality is spawning these kind of outliers; now, maybe since then they've been shown to be plants or trolls, but if not these fellows ably demonstrate how partisan and cultish the following of Trump has become - or indeed the notion of politics-as-sports.

So you can be fairly sure that to the likes of these Trump supporters, they honestly don't care if Trump takes information / bribes / whatever from foreign interests... they'd rather him commit crimes than be one of 'dem baby killing, tax-and-spend Democrats.

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1026150926271143936

• Registered Users Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I have said this before - probably also on here - he is an attention whore who becomes more dangerous when he is an ex-president who can no longer get himself top of world news whenever the mood strikes him simply by sending a tweet. That's when he's going to start revealing top-secret things - and even exaggerating them if not completely making them up if necessary!

It'll be hard to tweet from jail when he's serving time for campaign finance fraud and, possibly, obstruction of justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

Deranged trump supporter assaults transgender actress Indya Moore in NYC. They need to set a precedent and come down hard on these sort of attacks, otherwise they will happen more often.

Video of the attack in link below

https://www.theroot.com/pose-actress-indya-moore-attacked-by-trump-supporter-in-1835380804

hcf500 wrote: »
    Deranged trump supporter assaults transgender actress Indya Moore in NYC. They need to set a precedent and come down hard on these sort of attacks, otherwise they will happen more often.

https://www.theroot.com/pose-actress-indya-moore-attacked-by-trump-supporter-in-1835380804

A man tries to prevent someone from stealing his property, and he's guilty of being a "Deranged trump supporter" guilty of "assault"! :rolleyes:

This is the kind of nonsense that convinces Trump supporters that Trump is a victim!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have to agree. She was the aggressor in this situation and that article is a shambles. She was taking his property (and possibly scraping/damaging his bike which it seemed to be attached to) and while he was physically aggressive in trying to stop her (pushing her rather than attacking her), she caused the incident.

A man tries to prevent someone from stealing his property, and he's guilty of being a "Deranged trump supporter" guilty of "assault"! :rolleyes:

This is the kind of nonsense that convinces Trump supporters that Trump is a victim!

Have a look at the video. It is obvious who the violence is coming from!

Have a look at the video. It is obvious who the violence is coming from!

If she tried to take my property, she'd be getting worse than that!

If she tried to take my property, she'd be getting worse than that!

Proper hard man he was! Needed to validate himself by attacking a woman! Lots of them about it appears!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Proper hard man he was! Needed to validate himself by attacking a woman! Lots of them about it appears!

She could have let go of his property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

But then you have this.

A republican president is going to have almost total support from republican voters. George Bush Jr enjoyed 95-98% approval among that base during 2004 election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The whole thing is a mess but there's the resting issue of these Trump Ultras - to borrow a term from football - where I question the honesty of their demonstrations. Are they as passive as they claim to be, simple innocent public declarations of love for their man - really who does that anyway? -, but given where these outpourings tend to take place, ranting narratives over "fake news" this, or "liberal media" that are never far away; they can quickly descend into exactly the kind of passive-aggressive posturing that winds up ... well, the people they want to wind up. Liberals. A transsexual black woman at that.

It's a sh*tshow, but it's one that is being stirred by this bizarre narrative of the Republicans / Trump supporters are victims of prejudice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

pixelburp wrote: »
    The whole thing is a mess but there's the resting issue of these Trump Ultras - to borrow a term from football - where I question the honesty of their demonstrations. Are they as passive as they claim to be, simple innocent public declarations of love for their man - really who does that anyway? -, but given where these outpourings tend to take place, ranting narratives over "fake news" this, or "liberal media" that are never far away; they can quickly descend into exactly the kind of passive-aggressive posturing that winds up ... well, the people they want to wind up. Liberals. A transsexual black woman at that.

It's a sh*tshow, but it's one that is being stirred by this bizarre narrative of the Republicans / Trump supporters are victims of prejudice.

It is exactly that. You just position yourself in a group you want to target and whip out your Trump poster/MAGA hat, shout a few slogans and someone is going to take exception.
    If an LGBT activist went to a Trump/gun nut rally and started prancing around in feathers and leather gear, they would be thrown out and a lot less carefully.
    And they would be told it's their own fault.
    And I've never seen or heard of anyone wearing a MAGA hat who wasn't a colossal asshole.
    So, good that the LGBT community gets a bit tougher, no harm that people know they're gonna get a few slaps if they think they can act the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

everlast75 wrote: »
    Your question appears to suggest that we should just accept things as being "normal" now.

They are not normal.

Nor should we ever take it to be so.

Each and every day is a new low in this administration. It should be recognised as such.

The idea that the question should be "why are you shocked?" is wrong.

The question should be "why aren't you shocked?". Or "why aren't people doing anything about this?" Or "why are people defending this guy?"

I'm not shocked at all.

Most of the stuff he says is ridiculous and funny. Prince of Whales, oranges for origins etc. Mad stuff. It's hilarious.

I'd be more interested if it was our Taoiseach but not if it's a foreign leader.

There is a very real danger that when trump loses in 2020, he will not leave peacefully! If you think about it, it would make sense that trump supporters are far more likely to own guns. This is very worrying going forward. There needs to be very direct action taken to secure the safety of our people and our planet. Guns need to be taken, by force if needed. Environmental changes need to happen, and quick. There will be countless deaths caused in future generations by the current administration. The only way to avoid this is by extreme action. We need lots more to follow in the footsteps of Antifa. They will be seen as heros in the new world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

It is exactly that. You just position yourself in a group you want to target and whip out your Trump poster/MAGA hat, shout a few slogans and someone is going to take exception.
    If an LGBT activist went to a Trump/gun nut rally and started prancing around in feathers and leather gear, they would be thrown out and a lot less carefully.
    And they would be told it's their own fault.
    And I've never seen or heard of anyone wearing a MAGA hat who wasn't a colossal asshole.
    So, good that the LGBT community gets a bit tougher, no harm that people know they're gonna get a few slaps if they think they can act the arse.

Agree with your analysis. Problem is as each side escalates things get worse. At this point it's going to take either a very special leader who can bring people together or some kind of
    immediate existial threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,979 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There is a very real danger that when trump loses in 2020, he will not leave peacefully! If you think about it, it would make sense that trump supporters are far more likely to own guns. This is very worrying going forward. There needs to be very direct action taken to secure the safety of our people and our planet. Guns need to be taken, by force if needed. Environmental changes need to happen, and quick. There will be countless deaths caused in future generations by the current administration. The only way to avoid this is by extreme action. We need lots more to follow in the footsteps of Antifa. They will be seen as heros in the new world!

1. I agree it may get messy.
    2. Well I don't know if they'd be more likely to own guns since people of all political stripes and none in america seem to own guns.
    3. Yeah good luck with that one. Not happening.
    4. Extreme action will not help so let's not do that.
    5. Antifa aren't angels you know. Which new world would this be exactly ?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    A republican president is going to have almost total support from republican voters. George Bush Jr enjoyed 95-98% approval among that base during 2004 election.
    I understand that completely.
    But let them not dare talk about traitors to the flag kneeling instead of standing when their R president admits he'd be ok with taking opposition intelligence from foreign states. That is what they're supporting.
    It's extremely hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You're posting this into a Trump discussion because someone tried to steal a Trump sign? Wow. Are you even watching the same video? Or are you purposely warping the truth to suit your agenda? It is very clear in the video that Moore attacked that man, invading his personal space and tried to steal his property. Moore was at fault and if you believe otherwise, you are delusional.

You're posting this into a Trump discussion because someone tried to steal a Trump sign? Wow. Are you even watching the same video? Or are you purposely warping the truth to suit your agenda? It is very clear in the video that Moore attacked that man, invading his personal space and tried to steal his property. Moore was at fault and if you believe otherwise, you are delusional.

How someone can look at that video and blame Moore is beyond me! I don't really blame trump supporters for being the way they are. I guess it has a lot to do with the environment that they are brought up in. Now I don't want to paint them all with the same brush but I have observed that the majority of them tend to be either racist, homophobic or uneducated. Maybe all three even.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

How someone can look at that video and blame Moore is beyond me! I don't really blame trump supporters for being the way they are. I guess it has a lot to do with the environment that they are brought up in. Now I don't want to paint them all with the same brush but I have observed that the majority of them tend to be either racist, homophobic or uneducated. Maybe all three even.

They're still entitled to their property rights.

They're still entitled to their property rights.

He was not entitled to assault a woman to protect that crappy property though! I hope to god that she sues his a5s off. He might think twice before wearing a hate symbol in future!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

That article made my head hurt. What a horribly distorted worldview it purports. Happy to see others call out such madness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement