Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

hcf500 wrote: »
    He was not entitled to assault a woman to protect that crappy property though! I hope to god that she sues his a5s off. He might think twice before wearing a hate symbol in future!

So if I look up the New York Penal Code, section 35.10, I see that "The use of physical force upon another person which would otherwise constitute an offense is justifiable and not criminal" in the case of paragraph 6, "in order to prevent larceny of or criminal mischief to property"

Larceny is defined in New York law under Section 155.05, "A person steals property and commits larceny when, with intent to deprive another of property or to appropriate the same to himself or to a third person, he wrongfully takes, obtains or withholds such property from an owner thereof"

So, yes, under New York law, it seems he was entitled to assault a woman to protect his crappy property.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

I cant keep banging the same drum forever. I genuinely feel sorry for people that cant understand what is actually going on but what am I to do? Maybe people need to travel more and take in more culture. I have travelled the world over and met some amazing people and I can see the delicate balance that exists. The US is very unstable at the moment but it will improve, as will the rest of the world once trump is gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

I cant keep banging the same drum forever. I genuinely feel sorry for people that cant understand what is actually going on but what am I to do?

Sort yourself out maybe? Who knows.

You're wrong and garbage articles/reasoning like yours is part of the reason why Trump won in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

I cant keep banging the same drum forever. I genuinely feel sorry for people that cant understand what is actually going on but what am I to do? Maybe people need to travel more and take in more culture. I have travelled the world over and met some amazing people and I can see the delicate balance that exists. The US is very unstable at the moment but it will improve, as will the rest of the world once trump is gone!

What are you talking about? A person has a right to defend their property, with force if necessary. Nothing to do with Trump.

peddlelies wrote: »
    Sort yourself out maybe? Who knows.

You're wrong and garbage articles/reasoning like yours is part of the reasoning why Trump won in 2016.

You are wrong. The reason trump won was because there was not enough people like me. I don't want to argue with you. Its obvious you are anti trump and I respect that but you just don't see the fuller picture. Maybe someday it will click though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

You are wrong. The reason trump won was because there was not enough people like me. I don't want to argue with you. Its obvious you are anti trump and I respect that but you just don't see the fuller picture. Maybe someday it will click though

Reading this gives me a good chuckle about that New York times article about right wing radicalization on youtube.

Don't want to argue either, best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

hcf500 wrote:

Are you unbalanced?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Deranged trump supporter assaults transgender actress Indya Moore in NYC. They need to set a precedent and come down hard on these sort of attacks, otherwise they will happen more often.

Video of the attack in link below

https://www.theroot.com/pose-actress-indya-moore-attacked-by-trump-supporter-in-1835380804

Rewrite that to read Trump supporter chooses time and place to annoy another person into doing what he wanted and you've got it right. He's a provocateur and she fell for his trap. I agree that she should have taken action but it would have been better to deride him publicly and get him angry, not use force to take his property and make him the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭amandstu

aloyisious wrote: »
    Rewrite that to read Trump supporter chooses time and place to annoy another person into doing what he wanted and you've got it right. He's a provocateur and she fell for his trap. I agree that she should have taken action but it would have been better to deride him publicly and get him angry, not use force to take his property and make him the victim.
    You not think it stretches things to call a banner like that "property"?

Property is generally (well by me) understood to be for one's personal use and that banner (Or any such banner) is designed to influence other people without their asked for consent.

It is a bee in my bonnet but I think that any advertising boarding etc is fair game for non violent attack.

It seems like advertising is accepted as if it is a civic right to impose on the public.

amandstu wrote: »
    It seems like advertising is accepted as if it is a civic right to impose on the public.

Ummm.. It is. It's called "Freedom of speech", is in "the First Amendment", and most folks around these parts think it's something of a big deal.

The public has no obligation to listen or read what is being put out, and no obligation to even interact or acknowledge the existence of it. Or they can counter-speak, demonstrate or argue. However, with very specific limitations, the man has every right in the world (Well, in the US), to stand there with his sign.

And is the sign property? Here's the definition, under New York Penal Code:
    "Property" means any money, personal property, real property, computer data, computer program, thing in action, evidence of debt or contract, or any article, substance or thing of value, including any gas, steam, water or electricity, which is provided for a charge or compensation.

So, it counts.

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »
    You not think it stretches things to call a banner like that "property"?

Property is generally (well by me) understood to be for one's personal use and that banner (Or any such banner) is designed to influence other people without their asked for consent.

It is a bee in my bonnet but I think that any advertising boarding etc is fair game for non violent attack.

You are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Its obvious you are anti trump

This statement in respect of Peddlelies's political orientation is proof of the complete nonsense of the points you've made. Our Peddlelies can be accused of much, but certainly not of being anti-Trump!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I hope to god that she sues his a5s off.

They'd rather you didn't refer to them as 'she' actually - just so as you know.

https://twitter.com/IndyaMoore/status/1127235952714428417

The guy did nothing wrong and if anything he waited too long to intervene. Indya dragged his bike into the middle of the pavement and began stomping on his property. It is not simply a cardboard poster which they did this to either, it's a kite like material, and so I'm sure costs a fair few quid.

The Root was far from the only site to run with that nonsense narrative either:

‘Pose’ Star Indya Moore Attacked By Trump Supporter In NYC
    ‘Pose’ star Indya Moore attacked outside studio by a deranged Trump supporter
    'Pose' star Indya Moore attacked by Trump supporter
    Pose’s Indya Moore attacked by a Trump supporter in New York
    ‘Pose’ Actor Indya Moore Seemingly Attacked By Trump Supporter During Heated Altercation

You could understand these headlines if it was just them having heard reports of the altercation directly from Indya, and hadn't spoken with anyone else who witnessed what occurred, but to actually have the footage, and to still run with the narrative that a 'Transsexual model was attacked by a nut Trump support' - well, sadly it's a sign of the times I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

He was not entitled to assault a woman to protect that crappy property though! I hope to god that she sues his a5s off. He might think twice before wearing a hate symbol in future!

Let's change the narrative. A Trump supporter charges into a LGBT demonstration and grabs a demonstrator's rainbow flag. The demonstrator tries to get it back but the Trump supporter won't let go. The Trump supporter then tries to grab the demonstrator's hat. Eventually, the demonstator pushes the Trump supporter until they let go. Who's the bad guy?

They'd rather you didn't refer to them as 'she' actually - just so as you know.

https://twitter.com/IndyaMoore/status/1127235952714428417

The guy did nothing wrong and if anything he waited too long to intervene. Indya dragged his bike into the middle of the pavement and began stomping on his property. It is not simply a cardboard poster which they did this to either, it's a kite like material, and so I'm sure costs a fair few quid.

The Root was far from the only site to run with that nonsense narrative either:

‘Pose’ Star Indya Moore Attacked By Trump Supporter In NYC
    ‘Pose’ star Indya Moore attacked outside studio by a deranged Trump supporter
    'Pose' star Indya Moore attacked by Trump supporter
    Pose’s Indya Moore attacked by a Trump supporter in New York
    ‘Pose’ Actor Indya Moore Seemingly Attacked By Trump Supporter During Heated Altercation

You could understand these headlines if it was just them having heard reports of the altercation directly from Indya, and hadn't spoken with anyone else who witnessed what occurred, but to actually have the footage, and to still run with the narrative that a 'Transsexual model was attacked by a nut Trump support' - well, sadly it's a sign of the times I guess.

Even the readers are saying 'hang on a second', look at the comments on the perezhilton and ET Canada sites.
    LGBTQ Nation doesn't have comments enabled on their site, but plenty of folks calling them out on their FB post.
    Comments disabled for the other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭looksee

She was absolutely and totally in the wrong - the trump guy did not in any way attack until she refused to let go of the sign. She was 100% the aggressor. And I despise Trump and all his followers. Still they are entitled to demonstrate their views and have placards.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,979 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Sarah sanders wants to be remembered as “transparent and honest” I mean let’s not extract the urine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

looksee wrote: »
    She was absolutely and totally in the wrong - the trump guy did not in any way attack until she refused to let go of the sign. She was 100% the aggressor. And I despise Trump and all his followers. Still they are entitled to demonstrate their views and have placards.

To use a campaign quote: if they go low, you go high. Let them blow their base apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

This stuff is food and drink for the Right narrative, I didn't see what happened before the clip but clearly "they" were in the wrong interfering with the sign and the bike. My first thoughts were the pro-Trump guy stuck his sign in the front of the bike, hence the outrage, I didn't know it was his. He was heavy handed and stupid enough to push "them" like that but he was was not the aggressor from the start from what I saw. It is very similar to the Covington student incident, one set of people see one thing and the another something different. They must be assessed with a clear head.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So Sarah sanders wants to be remembered as “transparent and honest” I mean let’s not extract the urine here.

At this point you have to wonder if they are just trolling us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

MrFresh wrote: »
    At this point you have to wonder if they are just trolling us.

Just gaslighting whenever possible

Some very encouraging news in a recent poll. trump loses out to all top Dems in 2020 election! I think Harris has an excellent chance of securing the nomination for the Democrats

In a first look at head-to-head 2020 presidential matchups nationwide, several Democratic challengers lead President Donald Trump, with former Vice President Joseph Biden ahead 53 - 40 percent, according to a Quinnipiac University National Poll released today.

In other matchups, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University National Poll finds:
    Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders over President Trump 51 - 42 percent;
    California Sen. Kamala Harris ahead of Trump 49 - 41 percent;
    Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren tops Trump 49 - 42 percent;
    South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg edges Trump 47 - 42 percent;
    New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker by a nose over Trump 47 - 42 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Some very encouraging news in a recent poll. trump loses out to all top Dems in 2020 election! I think Harris has an excellent chance of securing the nomination for the Democrats

In a first look at head-to-head 2020 presidential matchups nationwide, several Democratic challengers lead President Donald Trump, with former Vice President Joseph Biden ahead 53 - 40 percent, according to a Quinnipiac University National Poll released today.

In other matchups, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University National Poll finds:

And that's why Trump is saying he would take assistance from a foreign Country. He knows he will have to cheat* to win

*again

• Registered Users Posts: 25,578 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm sure our regular trump supporter will be along to explain how that is all "fake news" and then provide a long list of this weeks "great" achievements by the orange one.

everlast75 wrote: »
    And that's why Trump is saying he would take assistance from a foreign Country. He knows he will have to cheat* to win

*again

The cheating goes much further than accepting help from foreign powers. There was a very strong online presence of pro trumpers last time around. They were allowed to promote trump and spread hate and conspiracies against Hillary. I am glad they a starting to deal with the problem now by censoring these nuts. There is still a lot to be removed from the platforms though, shapiro and james o keefe will be next hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/15/uk/boris-johnson-brexit-deal-analysis-luke-mcgee-intl-gbr/index.html

Just read this article which seems to me to be quite insightful, does anyone else have any views on it?

Yes, my view is that it may belong in the Brexit thread. :):p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, sorry, just realized what I did 😁 will sort it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭amandstu

Would be great if the Dems could actually choose their best candidate and not just who beats the beast.

Is that just a luxury?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I'd love it to be Bernie, because millions of Trumpers would be spitting blood, but isn't he just a tad old now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd love it to be Bernie, because millions of Trumpers would be spitting blood, but isn't he just a tad old now?

There's around a year age difference with him and Biden, and Donald is about three years younger

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement