Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,979 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

duploelabs wrote: »
    Water John wrote: »
    Not sure if any party ever held two thirds of the Senate, stand to be corrected.

Well let me rephrase it then, How many of the 'cult of trump' senators are up for re-election in 2020?
    22 GOP seats are up in 2020 and the democrats need 4 to take control of the senate. Also I see trump is saying his supporters might “demand a third term” which isn’t allowed anymore and he hasn’t won a second term yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A couple of significant Supreme Court decisions today.

Supreme Court says person can be charged and tried in state and federal court for same conduct

This has immediate implications for Paul Manafort, but also potentially weakens the value of the Presidential pardon in future.

And in the other decision

Supreme Court hands Democrats a win in Virginia racial gerrymander case

This means that Virginia will have to redraw the maps for the 2020 elections.

There are 2 other similar cases down for ruling this session as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    22 GOP seats are up in 2020 and the democrats need 4 to take control of the senate. Also I see trump is saying his supporters might “demand a third term” which isn’t allowed anymore and he hasn’t won a second term yet.

Did he say that on twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,979 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »

No it was reported on one of the news channels in America.

He might have said it on twitter actually but I saw it reported in the news. I don't follow him on twitter so he might have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    A couple of significant Supreme Court decisions today.

Supreme Court says person can be charged and tried in state and federal court for same conduct

This has immediate implications for Paul Manafort, but also potentially weakens the value of the Presidential pardon in future.

And in the other decision

Supreme Court hands Democrats a win in Virginia racial gerrymander case

This means that Virginia will have to redraw the maps for the 2020 elections.

There are 2 other similar cases down for ruling this session as well.

Some interesting voting today, and fitting in with the pattern that 'ideological' voting is less common than many believe.
    Manhattan, 5-4, ideological split, holding that the First Amendment does not apply against a private broadcasting channel. I'm surprised that it was that close, but maybe the dissent will explain why.

Virginia Uranium: 6-3. Minority were Roberts, Breyer, Alito. Ginsburg, Kagan, Sotomayor agree with the result, but not the method.

Gamble (dual sovereignty) 7-2. Dissents are Gorsuch and Ginsburg.

Virginia House: 5-4. Dissents were Roberts, Breyer, Alito, Kavanaugh. It was not a ruling on gerrymandering, the opinion was a debate on the technical grounds of whether the Virginia House was entitled to appeal. The Majority said 'no'. (But the end result is the same in the short term)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Some interesting voting today, and fitting in with the pattern that 'ideological' voting is less common than many believe.
    Manhattan, 5-4, ideological split, holding that the First Amendment does not apply against a private broadcasting channel. I'm surprised that it was that close, but maybe the dissent will explain why.

Virginia Uranium: 6-3. Minority were Roberts, Breyer, Alito. Ginsburg, Kagan, Sotomayor agree with the result, but not the method.

Gamble (dual sovereignty) 7-2. Dissents are Gorsuch and Ginsburg.

Virginia House: 5-4. Dissents were Roberts, Breyer, Alito, Kavanaugh. It was not a ruling on gerrymandering, the opinion was a debate on the technical grounds of whether the Virginia House was entitled to appeal. The Majority said 'no'. (But the end result is the same in the short term)

There was an article on 538 recently about how Kavanagh and Gorsuch are voting. They’ve voted together fewer times than any other 2 judges nominated in by the same president in their first term.

I find it interesting that Trump’s 2 picks vote together so infrequently. I’ll try to find a link

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

He’ll happily mock or attack any world leader or mayor or journalist on twitter.
    Never Putin though.
    You’d wonder why.

I hope they release the pee tape in the 2020 campaign when they realise he’s of no longer use to them. There’s far more in that video then we’ve even guessed if rumours are to be believed. Underage girls and him.

Speak for yourself. I feel bad for anyone clinging to the "dossier" at this point.

I read online Democrat politician X has sex parties with underage children, that's if the rumours are to be believed of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

He did say it on twitter yesterday but he has hinted at it a couple of other times too. He said it in the White House 2 months ago that he might stay til 2028 or even 2032....and last year he praised Chinese President Xi Jinping for ending term limits saying America should follow suit

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Brian? wrote: »
    There was an article on 538 recently about how Kavanagh and Gorsuch are voting. They’ve voted together fewer times than any other 2 judges nominated in by the same president in their first term.

I find it interesting that Trump’s 2 picks vote together so infrequently. I’ll try to find a link

It was on scotusblog, I linked to it a while ago. https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/05/empirical-scotus-so-happy-together/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

peddlelies wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. I feel bad for anyone clinging to the "dossier" at this point.

I read online Democrat politician X has sex parties with underage children, that's if the rumours are to be believed of course.

There's a massive difference between an official judicial investigation and a rambling post on qnon or T_D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In another episode of Karma being a b1tch, Alex Jones, far right conspiracy theorist, Trump mouthpiece, Sandy Hook conspiracy bottom feeder, is in some serious trouble...

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1140711005665710080?s=19

One of the most vile people on this planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

everlast75 wrote: »
    In another episode of Karma being a b1tch, Alex Jones, far right conspiracy theorist, Trump mouthpiece, Sandy Hook conspiracy bottom feeder, is in some serious trouble...

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1140711005665710080?s=19

One of the most vile people on this planet

I wonder did Jones call the FBI when he received them? It's generally an offence just to be in possession of cp so he could be another high profile Trump supporter to get a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

peddlelies wrote: »

Quite a significant portion of the dossier has been shown to be based on reality at this stage. As it is a dossier, and not a file for a court case, it is aimed at getting to issues rather than details.

I feel sorry for anyone that still continues to have any faith in a POTUS that has admitted that they would be open to collusion and would only report it if they didn't have any use for the information.

Whether he ever should have been elected in the 1st place or indeed impeached since is somewhat of a moot point. The man has openly admitted on national TV to he is open to foreign interference in the US elections and as such he should be barred from running in 2020.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It’s so baffling how more hasn’t been made about him saying he would take info from foreign states if it helped him win. In the US media I mean.

That would and should sink any candidate. Doeshe truly think he’s invincible or is this part of the Bannon training. Two years of throwing out lies and calling the media fake news. It’s left us all or certainly the US in a state on bewilderment.

He should be getting torn apart just for saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't blame the media as such, they have been beaten down to a large extent.

It is his supporters, including the GOP and the likes of McConnell, that are the real problem. They simply will not listen to the reality in front of them.

It is illegal to take foreign intervention in a US election. There is no if and buts about it. Yet Trump, the WH, the GOP etc have all created these ifs and buts. To the extent that people are actually talking about Trump rowing back because he later said he might go to the FBI!

Trump is doing this because he knows that his supporters are more interested in not losing to the 'left' than they are about the integrity of the US itself. They are happy to see the US torn down from the inside rather than risk the possibility of health care or abortion of gun control.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

MrFresh wrote: »
    I wonder did Jones call the FBI when he received them? It's generally an offence just to be in possession of cp so he could be another high profile Trump supporter to get a conviction.

Himself and Nader might share a cell...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The minor act of Don Trump telling Mick Mulvaney to leave the Oval Office for coughing while ABC were interviewing him might be showing how much pressure Don is under. Don was answering a question on whether he would hand over documents on his personal finances to the senate. I expect Don will tweet about the release of the clip or whomever is acting as the W/House Press secretary will issue a statement on the release of the clip.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/watch-trump-order-chief-of-staff-mick-mulvaney-out-of-oval-office-for-coughing-during-abc-interview-video/ar-AAD0avw

• Registered Users Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭Penn

aloyisious wrote: »
    The minor act of Don Trump telling Mick Mulvaney to leave the Oval Office for coughing while ABC were interviewing him might be showing how much pressure Don is under. Don was answering a question on whether he would hand over documents on his personal finances to the senate. I expect Don will tweet about the release of the clip or whomever is acting as the W/House Press secretary will issue a statement on the release of the clip.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/watch-trump-order-chief-of-staff-mick-mulvaney-out-of-oval-office-for-coughing-during-abc-interview-video/ar-AAD0avw

If Trump says something stupid and Sarah Sanders isn't there to say it was a joke; is it still a lie?

Either way, it was a bizarre response from Trump. It's a cough, you can't always stop it from happening and Trump's response to it instead of just ignoring it, carrying on and admonishing Mulvaney after (if an involuntary cough is so egregious an offence to Trump) just made him look a hell of a lot worse. Or maybe Mulvaney was just trying to distract Trump before he said something he shouldn't.

Such an awful interview from Trump as a whole though. He seems to genuinely believe that so long as he's given a chance to speak, he can say what he likes and he'll just be believed. The sign of both narcissism and a lifetime of being surrounded by Yes men. He really doesn't see how he flounders and becomes largely incoherent when put under the slightest bit of questioning or pushback on what he's said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently, or rather, according to the man himself during interviews in the 90s with Howard Stern, Trump is a germaphobe so his reaction to Mulvaney coughing tracks with that noted aversion to germs. Taken from a newsweek article:
    In a 1993 interview, Stern said: "Today, we learned some interesting things [about Donald Trump]: He's very wealthy and yet he's a prisoner of obsessive-compulsive disorder."

Trump was asked: "You have to wash your hands, how many times a day?" He responded: "Well as many as possible."

The Republican also said he liked to drink through a straw rather than straight out of a glass.

"I'd prefer drinking through a straw if I'm going to a restroom," he said.

Stern asked: "Because you are afraid that the glasses can be contaminated?"

"They certainly can be," Trump replied.

The host told Trump that his obsessive hand washing could be a sign of a psychological problem, to which Trump responded: "It could be a psychological problem," adding that he had managed to sit through the interview without leaving to wash his hands.

"I like it. I like cleanliness. Cleanliness is a nice thing. Not only hands, body, everything," Trump added, telling Stern he had never sought professional help for his compulsive behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,766 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I don't blame the media as such, they have been beaten down to a large extent.

It is his supporters, including the GOP and the likes of McConnell, that are the real problem. They simply will not listen to the reality in front of them.

It is illegal to take foreign intervention in a US election. There is no if and buts about it. Yet Trump, the WH, the GOP etc have all created these ifs and buts. To the extent that people are actually talking about Trump rowing back because he later said he might go to the FBI!

Trump is doing this because he knows that his supporters are more interested in not losing to the 'left' than they are about the integrity of the US itself. They are happy to see the US torn down from the inside rather than risk the possibility of health care or abortion of gun control.

Similar to this poll of Conservative Party Members released this morning

D9U_ou-WsAAIU0B.jpg:large

Doesn't matter the damaging effect on the country or even the party... just can't let the opposition get into power. It's not about policies, or perception, or stability... it's all just about power for these people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's an argument that Mulvaney coughing was a deliberate distraction.

Was it just a cough or was it *Cough**STOP TALKING**Cough* ?

Trump was in full flow saying that he hoped people would see his finances and that they were wonderful etc. etc. , and then Mulvaney coughs and disrupts him

The next obvious question from Stephanopolous would have been "So , if these financials are so awesome and better than anyone could imagine , why are you fighting so hard to prevent anyone seeing them?

Did Mulvaney take one for the team to avoid another potential Lester Holt moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Laois_Man wrote: »
    He did say it on twitter yesterday but he has hinted at it a couple of other times too. He said it in the White House 2 months ago that he might stay til 2028 or even 2032....and last year he praised Chinese President Xi Jinping for ending term limits saying America should follow suit

Why does he think he will be leaving after 6 years?

Not 4, not 8....6?

I now read all of his tweets to the sound of Colbert taking him off :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,576 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why does he think he will be leaving after 6 years?

Not 4, not 8....6?

I now read all of his tweets to the sound of Colbert taking him off :D

2 years down, 6 to go if he gets re elected

• Registered Users Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I don't think so, his line is "The good news is that at the end of 6 years, after America has been made GREAT again and I leave the beautiful White House (do you think the people would demand that I stay longer?"

Doesn't mention the 2, now actually 3 technically speaking and another 6 to go.

Just an, at the end of 6 years. If he meant after a second term surely he would have said, at the end of 8 years?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,576 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I don't think so, his line is "The good news is that at the end of 6 years, after America has been made GREAT again and I leave the beautiful White House (do you think the people would demand that I stay longer?"

Doesn't mention the 2, now actually 3 technically speaking and another 6 to go.

Just an, at the end of 6 years. If he meant after a second term surely he would have said, at the end of 8 years?

Its trump, wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't count. Anyway thats how i saw his comment but as i say you never know what he means when he opens his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Some of the stuff he has come out with lately has been ridiculous, especially about the polls. There is a pattern of trying to normalise the collusion so the full report must be pretty damning if he is laying the groundwork so thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trump was in full flow saying that he hoped people would see his finances and that they were wonderful etc. etc. , and then Mulvaney coughs and disrupts him

The next obvious question from Stephanopolous would have been "So , if these financials are so awesome and better than anyone could imagine , why are you fighting so hard to prevent anyone seeing them?

Did Mulvaney take one for the team to avoid another potential Lester Holt moment?

I took it to be a diplomatic effort but Don is [probably] used to them now after so many Chief of Staffs trying to prevent his foot in mouth incidents and just wont tolerate impertinence from his minions. It actually worked in that the question was resubmitted at Don's request as he had the opportunity to reword his reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

The minor act of Don Trump telling Mick Mulvaney to leave the Oval Office for coughing while ABC were interviewing him might be showing how much pressure Don is under. Don was answering a question on whether he would hand over documents on his personal finances to the senate.

I took it to be a diplomatic effort but Don is [probably] used to them now after so many Chief of Staffs trying to prevent his foot in mouth incidents and just wont tolerate impertinence from his minions. It actually worked in that the question was resubmitted at Don's request as he had the opportunity to reword his reply.
    The BBC's Washington Correspondent Anthony Zurcher certainly seems to think that it was a hint to Trump:
    Was Mr Mulvaney signalling to the president to be careful when talking about his tax returns? Or maybe he was choking on the president's answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Shades of the Mister Thompson bit in the Simpson.
    'when I step down on your foot and say Hello Mr Thompson'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭amandstu

I thought he was supposed to be Putin's puppet.

He is anyone's ,is he?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement