Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

amandstu wrote: »
    I remember that. Didn't someone have to resign before she took the job?

Schneiderman I think. Not to be confused with the superhero with a similar name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

everlast75 wrote: »
    VTB is my guess.

They were under sanctions from the US and had agreed the finance for Trump Tower.

If they have the docs on approval for the tower it'll prove how far along the project went before it was scuppered and if there were promises made in exchange for the finance.

This was from the Guardian back in March ( It all seemed so far fetched then.....)

Trump has personally denied that he ever had business dealings with Russia. In a tweet that was published shortly before his 2017 inauguration, he said he had “nothing to do with Russia – no deals, no loans, no nothing”.

But doubts about the veracity of that statement began to emerge last August, when the New York Times published emails from a longtime business associate of Trump called Felix Sater, who boasted that he had lined up financing for a Trump Tower in Moscow with VTB Bank, which is under US sanctions.

It is not clear from the Democrats’ memo whether the deal they are referring to is the same deal mentioned in Sater’s emails.

In another email obtained by the newspaper, Sater wrote that he would get “Putin on this programme and we will get Donald elected”.

Trump eventually signed a non-binding “letter of intent” for the project to go forward and his attorney, Michael Cohen, told the New York Times that they had discussed the project three times. The Moscow project did not go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1075212618476990465?s=19

Anyone having Rudy on their Tv show should ask him about this and nothing else.

Did you know the letter was signed?

If not, how can you make repeated appearances on TV on the Pres behalf when you don't know the full facts?
    If not, how can we trust that you accurately reflect the facts of the Pres position?
    If not, if the Pres lied to you about this, what else has he lied to you about?

If you did know about it, why did you lie, without equivocation, to the American public?
    If you lied then, how can we take anything you say seriously?
    Why did Trump lie to the American people?
    What was he hiding?
    What other lies are you aware of?

And so forth.

After that, shut down the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1075212618476990465?s=19

Anyone having Rudy on their Tv show should ask him about this and nothing else.

Did you know the letter was signed?

If not, how can you make repeated appearances on TV on the Pres behalf when you don't know the full facts?
    If not, how can we trust that you accurately reflect the facts of the Pres position?
    If not, if the Pres lied to you about this, what else has he lied to you about?

If you did know about it, why did you lie, without equivocation, to the American public?
    If you lied then, how can we take anything you say seriously?
    Why did Trump lie to the American people?
    What was he hiding?
    What other lies are you aware of?

And so forth.

After that, shut down the interview.
    And yet they won't and the next lie (can't remember the order according to the usual tactics - should it be it is not a big issue anyway?) will be pushed and believed by millions.

Certainly he should be put in the hotseat about it and journalists need to keep digging. I am not sure it will have an effect but they have to try and hold Trump accountable for his crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They should stop having Guiliani, KA Conway et al on their shows at all as they're repeatedly and knowingly spreading lies. If the WH Admin want to get their version of events out, force them to hold press briefings with SHS more than once a month.

Guiliani, Conway, Miller... their tactics are just deflect and deny, deflect and deny, over and over again. No reason why they should be invited onto CNN, MSNBC etc to be able to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Penn wrote: »
    They should stop having Guiliani, KA Conway et al on their shows at all as they're repeatedly and knowingly spreading lies. If the WH Admin want to get their version of events out, force them to hold press briefings with SHS more than once a month.

Guiliani, Conway, Miller... their tactics are just deflect and deny, deflect and deny, over and over again. No reason why they should be invited onto CNN, MSNBC etc to be able to do it.

I think there's a tipping point when they have them on their shows, not for anything factual, but to demonstrate how much they're prepared to lie and bul$hit and then, like in Rudy's denial of the letter, get caught up in their own lies

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I said it would be harsh if he got the chair when the judge mentioned treason. I was being facetious.
    IMO it was clear that you were being facetious - I don't understand all the pearl-clutching that has followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

From time to time I hear on the TV stations that "today was a bad day for Trump" and yet his pollng seems to hold up through them (yesterday was surely such a "bad day")

Although I haven't expected the bottom to drop out of his approval ratings on the back of any one such report I am wondering what has happened to the "drip,drip ,death by a thousand cuts effect"

He cannot surely have dismantled its validity. What is going on?

From time to time I hear on the TV stations that "today was a bad day for Trump" and yet his pollng seems to hold up through them (yesterday was surely such a "bad day")

Although I haven't expected the bottom to drop out of his approval ratings on the back of any one such report I am wondering what has happened to the "drip,drip ,death by a thousand cuts effect"

30% of america are delusional. They disregard facts. They make excuses.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I mentioned this yesterday.. His support whilst low, is seemingly bullet-proof.

Nothing seems to shift it up or down to any great degree. I saw an article the other day that said that statistically speaking he had the most stable popularity rating of any President in the modern era.

Every other POTUS has seen their numbers rise and fall significantly over their time in office.

So far his numbers have stayed in the same 5 or 6 percentage point band since day one - 40% give or take a few points.

For those that are with him now, I truly cannot see what might be the story that breaks that support.

He will be on the ballot in 2020 , of that I am certain.

The key challenge for anyone wanting to get rid of him (and almost as crucially IMO , getting rid of Mitch McConnell as Senate Majority leader) is in getting the vote out.

The focus should not be on trying to changing peoples minds , it's about getting them to express their current opinion at the ballot.

50%+ of US citizens do not vote - Changing that number is the key to success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

30% of america are delusional. They disregard facts. They make excuses.
    Can't they find another delusion?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Nixon still had 25% approval when he quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Nixon still had 25% approval when he quit.

And he didn't have fox news to help him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I mentioned this yesterday.. His support whilst low, is seemingly bullet-proof.

Nothing seems to shift it up or down to any great degree. I saw an article the other day that said that statistically speaking he had the most stable popularity rating of any President in the modern era.

Every other POTUS has seen their numbers rise and fall significantly over their time in office.

So far his numbers have stayed in the same 5 or 6 percentage point band since day one - 40% give or take a few points.

For those that are with him now, I truly cannot see what might be the story that breaks that support.

He will be on the ballot in 2020 , of that I am certain.

The key challenge for anyone wanting to get rid of him (and almost as crucially IMO , getting rid of Mitch McConnell as Senate Majority leader) is in getting the vote out.

The focus should not be on trying to changing peoples minds , it's about getting them to express their current opinion at the ballot.

50%+ of US citizens do not vote - Changing that number is the key to success.

I guess it could be said that every single voter knows exactly what Trump is all about.
    The people who don't support him will never do so, because they know he is a lying, corrupt, criminal, sexist, racist piece of shizzle. And they will never be turned.
    And his supporters know this as well. They support him exactly because of those qualities and they too will also never waver from their support for him.
    To them it doesn't matter what gets revealed about Trump, collusion with Russia, using the Trump foundation as his personal ATM, sex scandals, bribery, they have accepted all those as the price to pay for their chosen Messiah to be able to MAGA. The end justifies the means.
    To their mind he is just a cunning master of strategy and he has a foolproof plan in his enourmous brain that none of us mortals can possibly hope to understand and in the end he will usher in a golden age of milk and honey the likes of which the world has never seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

IMO it was clear that you were being facetious - I don't understand all the pearl-clutching that has followed.

Deflection.

Rather than talk about the fact that the person POTUS appointed as NSA, and still continues to support, has been found to have lied to the FBI and thus call into question the very nature of Trumps relationship with both the truth and the law, it is far better to get 'upset' at a throw away remark.

Of course they singularly fail to get upset at the same level when Trump lies and states things which are demonstrably terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While all this stuff is going on, someone is running the country, and it must be very difficult to keep making decisions that do not create international waves and stay under the radar of being noticeable. Apparently Trump put an unwanted spoke into some diplomacy last week (can't recall what) with a stupid tweet, he is a total liability.

Now would be a very good time for international trouble makers to push agendas to cause even more chaos, surely the US has not been so ineffectual for a long time? Is it that, at bottom, even the belligerent leaders are wary of sparking something they will not be able to control - a bit like playing chess with a seagull?

Barred from running a charity, but still has the keys to the nukes of the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Barred from running a charity, but still has the keys to the nukes of the Country.

ISIS has been defeated, apparently. That's news to me.

DuyU4CsVYAA6Tw6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

DuyU4CsVYAA6Tw6.jpg

And the Trump foundation did nothing wrong.

From his Twitter Tourettes:

The Trump Foundation has done great work and given away lots of money, both mine and others, to great charities over the years - with me taking NO fees, rent, salaries etc. Now, as usual, I am getting slammed by Cuomo and the Dems in a long running civil lawsuit started by.....

DuyU4CsVYAA6Tw6.jpg

That's a complete thought?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Not being a smart ass here, but wasn't ISIS all but destroyed about three or four years ago or so? Most of the territory they'd captured had been taken back, and pretty much all their leaders had been killed?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Not being a smart ass here, but wasn't ISIS all but destroyed about three or four years ago or so? Most of the territory they'd captured had been taken back, and pretty much all their leaders had been killed?
    It looks like it was the last territory they had between Syria and Iraq.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/11/world/middleeast/isis-syria.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, let it never be forgotten that Trump confidently claimed he knew more about ISIS than 'the Generals'. That people don't think this man swims in his own hubris is beyond me.

DuyU4CsVYAA6Tw6.jpg

From the same guy that said Obama founded ISIS...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

DuyU4CsVYAA6Tw6.jpg

So, is that him basically saying...I'm pulling the US out of Syria, and leave the Russians to do with it as they please?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So, is that him basically saying...I'm pulling the US out of Syria, and leave the Russians to do with it as they please?

Not really.. given the rest of his Twitter tirade this morning it was more a case of

"Here's something I think I can claim that makes me look Rough and tough, before I get into a series of tweets trying to make people believe that me basically stealing money from a charity to spend on myself isn't an issue and is just the bad Liberal bogeyman out to get me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

At least let the Syrians do as they please. as it was the Syrians who had been fighting ISIS for years [within Syria] while the US were (indirectly) arming them.

Not sure if its related to Turkeys missile deal. The US have threatened Turkey with CAATSA sanctions if they bought missiles from Russia. The same sanctions they have threatened European businesses with if they work on Nordstream2. Economic terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hey, let it never be forgotten that Trump confidently claimed he knew more about ISIS than 'the Generals'. That people don't think this man swims in his own hubris is beyond me.

Well was it ever made clear whether he meant ISIS the terrorist group or Isis the Egyptian goddess ? I mean the odds of Trump knowing anything on either are slim but let's be honest he might have meant the Egyptian Isis.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wonder how it's sitting with Tiffany Trump(yeah the other daughter) about the news reports about the Trump foundation being closed that mention "Donald Trump and his three adult children" as being barred from being directors of charities in New York now. The way I've seen it reported it makes it seem as if Donald Trump has three adult children and his youngest son. I mean in a way it means she'll never be caught in the ****storm that is Trump world but still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I wonder how it's sitting with Tiffany Trump(yeah the other daughter) about the news reports about the Trump foundation being closed that mention "Donald Trump and his three adult children" as being barred from being directors of charities in New York now. The way I've seen it reported it makes it seem as if Donald Trump has three adult children and his youngest son. I mean in a way it means she'll never be caught in the ****storm that is Trump world but still.

Aside from her awkward presence during the campaign she really doesn't deserve to be associated with him, at the very least not in anyway comprable to the children of his first marriage.

I am perplexed somewhat by her and her Mother's continued silence on Trump. If it was me, I'd have maybe engaged in some mild patricide by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement