Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options
1329330331332333335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Kimsang wrote: »

Full transcript of their argument
    I remember the very first time I became disillusioned with the left, and started to look at it with a more critical eye. It was exactly this moment from Real Time with Bill Maher, where both Sam Harris and Ben "Batman" Affleck both appear.

Up until this point, I had regularly watched Harris engage with people, and challenge all kinds of faiths and receive support everytime from liberal society. This was the firs time I noticed a switch in tone.

Harris argues liberals have failed us.
    Affleck attacks Harris, and as Maher describes later, wasn't supposed to happen.
    Maher"Why are you so hostile about this Ben, you're not listening"
    The idea is proposed that the argument is instead between the fundamentalists vs the moderates.
    Harris retorts, of Islam, which could also be the same argument vs the left, that the fundamentalists are given carte blanche by a wider part of their group.

Could anyone say the same about the right?
    Affleck has never apologized, or retracted his words from this incident. I remember this feeling deep inside of me, similar to when Trump was elected.

Who was the bigot in this situation? I believe this is why Trump got elected, Brexit happened and why we're seeing the rise of populism world-wide.

Why was Affleck so aggressive here?

....And we're back to the only thing you want to talk about. to save us the time I'll just requote our earlier conversations on this.
    Midlife wrote: »
    You seem to be very eager to oversimplify things to fit your current viewpoint.

I can easily state that Trump got elected and Brexit happened because continued and rising inequality caused a rejection of the status quo.

Or Trump got elected and Brexit happened because in both cases the opponent ran a bad campaign.

Or Trump got elected and Brexit happened because they both legitimised racism

All of these are correct.

You then accused me of oversimplifying or something. Maybe just take it from there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ok all

The time has come to close this thread before the hamsters expire.

The conversation continues in the next release

Given the fresh start of a new thread, let's leave the utterly circular arguement about Game Theory and Strawmen/Steelmen behind us here please.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement