Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Btw today is the twentieth anniversary of the impeachment of President Bill Clinton by the House of Representatives.

No take up on that little nugget I notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Leroy42 wrote: »
    TTrump is basically saying that the US is pulling out, they no longer will play any part in that region. Like all deterrents, it is the fear rather than the actual likelihood that is the driver.

I agree with you, but when has the US presence ever added stability to the region? The Kurds are going to have to strike up other alliances. They have been there since the 11th Century and will be there for many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

duploelabs wrote: »
    Because, as I said, they are a buffer from direct Russian/Syrian attacks

Further, once gone, the chemical attacks/barrel bombs/other atrocities can resume with fewer eyes on them and less risk to Russia/Iran/Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I see there has been a gofundme set up to pay for the wall, with the proceeds going to the trump admin to build the wall. :pac:

Already at 2.5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hey, let it never be forgotten that Trump confidently claimed he knew more about ISIS than 'the Generals'. That people don't think this man swims in his own hubris is beyond me.

I had the same quote image of a leader who knew better than his generals when it came to Mil Ops, in respect of Don planning a Mil Op = SNAFU. There is a plus-side for Don in this though: bringing the TROOPS HOME FOR CHRISTMAS does no harm to the voting figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

duploelabs wrote: »
    I think the withdrawal from Syria is related to the Saudi/Khashoggi/Turkey situation.

The US withdrawal shafts the Kurds as it leaves them unprotected from the Syrian regime (and thus Russia), the Kurds have been a massive thorn in the side of Turkey with Erdogan launching attacks over the border in to Syrian refugee camps and the leader of the PKK jailed in Turkey.
    So Erdogan has been 'done a favour' by Trump and Trump in returns asks them to scale back the investigation in to the murdered journalist to keep MBS on board

Allying that with the quotes being attributed to Don about the extradition of the cleric in the US to Turkey on charges of allegedly plotting the coup against Erdogan and it looks like a fortuity of coincidences. Don has made it plain how important he sees US arms sales as being strategic, especially if it happens to scupper an arms sales deal from Russia to Turkey into the bargain, something his present NSA would be happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

North Korea have announced they will never unilaterally give up its nuclear weapons unless the United States first removes what Pyongyang called a nuclear threat.

When will Trump get tired of winning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I see there has been a gofundme set up to pay for the wall, with the proceeds going to the trump admin to build the wall. :pac:

Already at 2.5 million.
    Only another €4,997,500,000 to go cool.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

WHat happens to that 2.5 mil if the wall doesn't get built?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

MadYaker wrote: »
    They will be used to cover his legal fees in the upcoming lawsuits. As the target is set at 1 billion I'm quite certain that there will be a few spoofers in there as well since they will never actually be collecting the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

DrumSteve wrote: »

Already at 2.5 million.

I wonder if the donations are coming from Mexico?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Pelvis wrote: »
    North Korea have announced they will never unilaterally give up its nuclear weapons unless the United States first removes what Pyongyang called a nuclear threat.

But what about my commemorative coin? Is it worthless now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Trump 'charity' ;)
    Trump Faces Threat in New York Lawsuit Even After Charity Closes

U.S. President Donald Trump agreed to shut down his embattled personal charity and donate its assets under an agreement with the New York attorney general, who alleged that the nonprofit squandered funds on political and business purposes.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-18/ny-ag-says-trump-foundation-signs-stipulation-to-dissolve

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

A couple more "charitable" portraits of himself would be a safe bet based on the news from the foundation this week.

Trump 'charity' ;)
    I like "agreed to dissolve" when he has no choice in the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Pelvis wrote: »

I can see him doing it. Like the Syria thing. He did suggest that Japan and South Korea should get their own nuclear weapons.

It is a funny thing about Trump, and a lot of his fellow travellers, they often think of American military spending, or presence abroad, as the US 'losing out' to or being taken advantage of by other nations. They always forget the enormous power that it provides to the US. These countries (including the Europe) have been/are laregely dependent on the US, supplicant even. If they have to fund their own defences and are no longer beholden to the US for it, their reasons for towing the American line diminish terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So it turns out that Trump did indeed sign a letter of intention in regards to the Trump Moscow back in 2015. This despite the repeated (as recently as Sunday from Giuliani) that Trump knew nothing about it and Trump repeated claims during the campaign and after that he had no relationships with Russia.

How can anyone in the US still believe that he is above board? Can they not understand the clear link between his wish to paint Putin and Russia and best buddies and his business deal?
    Of course business deals are not illegal (which is now there line of defence) but why lie about it over and over again?
    Why make a big deal about HC and her, non-existent, ties to Russia yet continue on with his own?

It is staggering to me that his supporters are not even the least bit annoyed at this.

It is staggering to me that his supporters are not even the least bit annoyed at this.

They don't care. They don't mind the humiliation just so long as Trump is being even crueller to the groups they don't like... 'Mexicans, queers, Islamics... round em all up!'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Anyone reckon he'll be forced to climb down over the Syrian withdrawal?

Noises from congress suggest it's possible.

Even Rubio has now come out against Trump's decision re Syria

https://twitter.com/Grace_Segers/status/1075428061384978438

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Anyone reckon he'll be forced to climb down over the Syrian withdrawal?

Noises from congress suggest it's possible.

Well, he has basically be forced to back down from pretty much everything he has tried to do. From the Muslim ban, the transgender ban, the military build up at the border, the border wall, dealing with migrant kids, tariffs with China, tariffs with the EU. Healthcare reform, spending reform.

His list of failures is actually quite impressive for a POTUS that has full control of the House, Senate and SCOTUS.

Without Paul Ryan to protect him he is going to have a very difficult two years and it may well be that he doesn't bother running again as the thought of having to sit through more years of that will be too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So it turns out that Trump did indeed sign a letter of intention in regards to the Trump Moscow back in 2015. This despite the repeated (as recently as Sunday from Giuliani) that Trump knew nothing about it and Trump repeated claims during the campaign and after that he had no relationships with Russia.

How can anyone in the US still believe that he is above board? Can they not understand the clear link between his wish to paint Putin and Russia and best buddies and his business deal?
    Of course business deals are not illegal (which is now there line of defence) but why lie about it over and over again?
    Why make a big deal about HC and her, non-existent, ties to Russia yet continue on with his own?

Simple. Trump supporters have decided that being under Russian control is better than being ruled by the democrats.
    You cannot argue with this level of insanity, his die hard supporters can be written off as mentally ill at this stage.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/txZHUXVS8Yvn1gvYhKIktqttfRk=/1400x1050/filters:format(jpeg)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/11932223/Dj2e0w9VAAAraKs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Trump supporters have decided that being under Russian control is better than being ruled by the democrats.
    There's a sort of logic to this.
    'Mexicans, queers, Islamics... round em all up!'
    Brown-skinned people, queers, Islamics - Russians and Republicans share a lack of fondness for these folks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Odds on a government shutdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Odds on a government shutdown?

The one Trump promised?

Slim to anorexic.

They don't care. They don't mind the humiliation just so long as Trump is being even crueller to the groups they don't like... 'Mexicans, queers, Islamics... round em all up!'

Last January, armed Trump supporters asked a Navajo legislator if he was 'legal'.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-supporters-navajo-legislator-legal/

The Donald will prove to be the greatest POTUS ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Last January, armed Trump supporters asked a Navajo legislator if he was 'legal'.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-supporters-navajo-legislator-legal/
    My God, that article is shocking:
    I went out to lunch and I saw them harassing this group of about 12 children aged maybe 8, 9, 10 years old. They were obviously on a school trip. I don’t know if they were Latino children or Native American but they definitely had brown skin, and these people started screaming, “You’re illegal, go home.” They were walking down the sidewalk with them screaming at them.

serfboard wrote: »
    My God, that article is shocking:

Yup. Just another day in the good old USA.

Yup. Just another day in the good old USA.

...and in the United Kingdom, and in Italy, and in Poland, and in Hungary.

No one should mistake or underestimate what is in process here.

• Advertisement

...and in the United Kingdom, and in Italy, and in Poland, and in Hungary.

No one should mistake or underestimate what is in process here.

It's going to get worse as climate change and dwindling resources force people to migrate. This is only the beginning and Trump is just a first step.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement