Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So is it midnight tonight US time or midnight tomorrow that the government shutdown starts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭eire4

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So is it midnight tonight US time or midnight tomorrow that the government shutdown starts ?

Tomorrow.

They don't care. They don't mind the humiliation just so long as Trump is being even crueller to the groups they don't like... 'Mexicans, queers, Islamics... round em all up!'

Sadly that is true and on a scary note that applies to about 30- 35% of Americans. A minority yes but still a pretty large number all the same.

eire4 wrote: »
    Tomorrow.

So when the congress as a whole and certainly the members of congress who aren't returning/lost their seats if they haven't already left will be running to get out of dodge tomorrow, and Trump is carrying on like he is ?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well, he has basically be forced to back down from pretty much everything he has tried to do. From the Muslim ban, the transgender ban, the military build up at the border, the border wall, dealing with migrant kids, tariffs with China, tariffs with the EU. Healthcare reform, spending reform.

His list of failures is actually quite impressive for a POTUS that has full control of the House, Senate and SCOTUS.

Without Paul Ryan to protect him he is going to have a very difficult two years and it may well be that he doesn't bother running again as the thought of having to sit through more years of that will be too much.

You have a point there as also in 2 years time it is also quite likely the Democrats will win the senate as almost all the senate seats up this time will be ones currently controlled by Republicans. So he would quite likely be looking at both houses being Democratic controlled.

• Advertisement

Last January, armed Trump supporters asked a Navajo legislator if he was 'legal'.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-supporters-navajo-legislator-legal/

The Donald will prove to be the greatest POTUS ever.

Thank you for posting that article. Truly disturbing and truly disgusting. Sadly I said way back when he was the Republican nominee that his espousal in such public terms of hate filled and racist language would lead to the spread and increase in hate and hate crimes across the US as that is what happens when those in authority and leadership positions behave as he has as have so many in the Republican party as well. They in general really are the party of hate now in many ways.

So when the congress as a whole and certainly the members of congress who aren't returning/lost their seats if they haven't already left will be running to get out of dodge tomorrow, and Trump is carrying on like he is ?

In a nutshell yes that is it. Ryan the out going speaker of the house has said he won't sign the short term spending bill so if he digs his feet in the government will shut down tomorrow night.

In a nutshell yes that is it. Ryan the out going speaker of the house has said he won't sign the short term spending bill so if he digs his feet in the government will shut down tomorrow night.

I mean all the winning must be so tiring for Trump and his base. Why is he asking for $5Bn though ? I mean aren't the Mexicans indirectly paying for the wall now with the successor to NAFTA ? Or was that all rubbish and bluster ?

I mean all the winning must be so tiring for Trump and his base. Why is he asking for $5Bn though ? I mean aren't the Mexicans indirectly paying for the wall now with the successor to NAFTA ? Or was that all rubbish and bluster ?

Naturally that was all as you say rubbish and bluster. The Mexicans were never paying for any border wall and anybody in touch with reality knew that from the get go.

Naturally that was all as you say rubbish and bluster. The Mexicans were never paying for any border wall and anybody in touch with reality knew that from the get go.

I knew it was the above but just wanted to double check. This pulling troops out of Syria seems to be have been an armitage shanks bit of diplomacy, which it seems members on both sides of the political aisle are saying is a bad idea. It seems Putin said in a press conference that it was a great idea or that he was trilled the US was pulling out troops. I mean it's not even subtle at this stage(if it ever was)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Anyone reckon he'll be forced to climb down over the Syrian withdrawal?

Noises from congress suggest it's possible.

Its very possible. He flip flops a lot to say the least.

The reaction of bloodthirsty hawks such as Graham, Rubio and rather more depressingly "resistance" twitter and majority of mainstream media will worry him.

I have seen praise from genuine left wingers and certain elements of the libertarian base. I'd hope he sticks to his guns and maybe looks at Yemen (he won't I know ) and possibly Afghanistan.

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1075602189576335360

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1075624993936031744

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

IIt seems Putin said in a press conference that it was a great idea or that he was trilled the US was pulling out troops. I mean it's not even subtle at this stage(if it ever was)

He also said Trsa May must respect 'the will of the people' over Brexit.

You have to admire his trollery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

duploelabs wrote: »
    And what of the Kurds? The people who ultimately took the fight to ISIS on the ground and (according to trump) defeated them.

I think Syrian and Russian forces were as much part of that offensive as the Kurds.
    The US withdrawal leaves them without their protection and now the Syrian regime (and the forces behind them) will focus their entire efforts on the Yazidi

Apart from some Kurdish leaders being instigators of the rising/civil war, I dont think Syria has any intent on attacking Kurds. Their biggest enemy is who it always was: The Turks. Trump did the deal with Turkey. He withdrew for them. I'd be directing my anger in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dow down another 460 points today.

That's 3,000 points dow has lost since Monday December 3rd.

Last January, armed Trump supporters asked a Navajo legislator if he was 'legal'.
    [

I was watching a clip of far-right activsts accosting a female MP on her way into parliament this morning, and the modus operandi seems very similar. This "in your face" intimidation and constant chants. These asshats are on the rise everywhere. They are driving Brexit as well.

Jake tapper is reporting that the Trump Administration is bracing itself for the president to announce the withdrawal of US from afgahinstan. Lindsay graham and the others will lose their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Jake tapper is reporting that the Trump Administration is bracing itself for the president to announce the withdrawal of US from afgahinstan. Lindsay graham and the others will lose their minds.

He is bringing all the troops home for the impending meteor strike ala Deep Impact :)

If he was to bring all the active troops home it would be great but like with everything he does, rightful or wrongly I question his motivation. In Syria he had no real purpose except maybe have a physical stake in the game or launch a quick reactionary force. I doubt they could observe things like barrel bomb drops from the base nor even if the did what would the do about it. We all know the atrocities going on there even with boots on the ground. Afgan will be an interesting one if true. No matter when the US leave in 1 week or 20 years the same thing is going to happen. The government is so corrupt and bar a few of the indigenous forces, the military are useless and will probably just either take bribes thus become corrupt or just become another group like the Taliban.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Holy Moly.

If this is true, a question people will be asking in 20 years, what were you doing the week that Donald Trump and Ed Woodward both made a good decision?:eek:

(yes i know they have dropped clangers this week and in their respective tenures)

His continued 'collectivisation' of American farmers is getting costly: US consumers may need to pay even more "Chinese tariffs"...

https://twitter.com/BennSteil/status/1075867384467087362

And now it's being reported that general Jim Mattis the secretary of defence will retire in February next year. General mattis from the times I've heard him speak sounds like an adult. We are doomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And now it's being reported that general Jim Mattis the secretary of defence will retire in February next year. General mattis from the times I've heard him speak sounds like an adult. We are doomed.

And that the ethics committee recommended Whitaker to resign from overseeing the mueller probe and he won't go.

Its incredible stuff

everlast75 wrote: »
    And that the ethics committee recommended Whitaker to resign from overseeing the mueller probe and he won't go.

Its incredible stuff

It really is again and again day after day it is yet another incident that is along the lines of the cliche "you can't make this stuff up" and with the Democrats set to get control of investigations in the house starting next month it is only going to get crazier I would think in 2019.

everlast75 wrote: »

Its incredible stuff

Yeah it seems to have been reported(spun ?) that he didn't have to recuse himself from the mueller probe but then it seems he was told he really should consider doing it.

With mattis now going the second barrier to the Trump bowling ball going in the gutter is gone. And he's not retiring he's resigning and his letter to the president is well written(so Trump probably doesn't understand it) but he basically calls out the president.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hypothetically speaking, if Trump is compromised, do ye think Putin is cashing in all his chips* before the final shoe drops?

*syria, Afghanistan, even perhaps Trump ruining the economy/ government shut down

Steven miller is on CNN yelling and he looks like he's lost hair since Sunday.

Answer the bloody question FFS. Why did Trump not get the bloody thing funded in his first two years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mattis is gone. This administration is falling apart.

US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis resigns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Mattis is presumably opposed to the Syrian war.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mattis is presumably opposed to the Syrian war.

Very much so. He has come out all guns blazing against Trump. Turbulence ahead.

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/1075885816113704961

• Advertisement

Stephan miller is using the usual talking points. Is the US-Mexico border that pourous at the moment ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement