Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

'tech, and technolofy'...

What does he mean by this?

He means covfefe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

He needs to be diagnosed as mentally unfit. That would entail The Donald voluntarily attending a psychiatrist for assessment. He doesn't meet the criteria for involuntary assessment. Yet.
    Pence and a majority of the sitting cabinet could enact the 25th Amendment.

Pompeo: toss-up, don't think he's super loyal to Trump - I think he'd move with whatever he thought would benefit him most;
    Mnuchin: wouldn't go against Trump IMO;
    Mattis: would definitely go against Trump, but would have to be done before Feb 2019 when he leaves;
    Zinke: literally no idea, but I'd suggest it's like Pompeo and he'd do whatever he thought would benefit him most;
    Perdue: I think he'd back Pence
    Acosta, Azar, DeVos and Ross: Trump
    Perry, Carson, Chao: Pence
    Wilkie: I know nothing about this guy.

There's no AG or DHS members.

So with question marks over Pompeo, Zinke and Wilkie - it'd likely be 5:5 with the remainder to make the decision; it'd be a very close call IMO.

(moot post as it's super unlikely that this would happen)

Pence and a majority of the sitting cabinet could enact the 25th Amendment.

Pompeo: toss-up, don't think he's super loyal to Trump - I think he'd move with whatever he thought would benefit him most;
    Mnuchin: wouldn't go against Trump IMO;
    Mattis: would definitely go against Trump, but would have to be done before Feb 2019 when he leaves;
    Zinke: literally no idea, but I'd suggest it's like Pompeo and he'd do whatever he thought would benefit him most;
    Perdue: I think he'd back Pence
    Acosta, Azar, DeVos and Ross: Trump
    Perry, Carson, Chao: Pence
    Wilkie: I know nothing about this guy.

There's no AG or DHS members.

So with question marks over Pompeo, Zinke and Wilkie - it'd likely be 5:5 with the remainder to make the decision; it'd be a very close call IMO.

(moot post as it's super unlikely that this would happen)
    Extremely unlikely. I think they are managing him as one would manage a spoilt child and waiting for Mueller, and/or whatever other compromising stuff is out there, to bring about impeachment or resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I honestly don't get the GOP on this. Why are they so against it? $5bn is peanuts in the scheme of things. Surely they can just cut defence increase (wasn't it a further $58bn) and just reallocte it?

Cut defense spending ? And also withdraw troops from unpopular and costly wards?

That would break Graham and the GOP.

Have mercy, its not good time for the war mongers right now and it's Christmas.:mad:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump is trying to pressurise McConnell to ditch custom and practice by going for a simple majority in the Senate. Could happen yet.

Can't see McConnell caving for that as once that's gone it's gone forever and McConnell knows that there's a better than even chance of them losing the Senate in 2020 and if he goes nuclear now , then the GOP (or indeed any minority party) have absolutely no ability to do anything in opposition.

That's part of why Trump forcing the shutdown is so bizarre - Shutdowns are typically driven by the minority party as a way of expressing some degree of influence.. For the Majority party to be doing it is just weird in the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Cut defense spending ? And also withdraw troops from unpopular and costly wards?

That would break Graham and the GOP.

Have mercy, its not good time for the war mongers right now and it's Christmas.:mad:

It's a pretty good result for Putin as it further solidifies Russia's position. Putin is himself a warmonger, you realise? It's also likely to inflame the Middle East again...

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Can't see McConnell caving for that as once that's gone it's gone forever and McConnell knows that there's a better than even chance of them losing the Senate in 2020 and if he goes nuclear now , then the GOP (or indeed any minority party) have absolutely no ability to do anything in opposition.

That's part of why Trump forcing the shutdown is so bizarre - Shutdowns are typically driven by the minority party as a way of expressing some degree of influence.. For the Majority party to be doing it is just weird in the extreme.

What Trump is doing makes no sense - unsurprisingly. However, his only focus is his base and he has promised them a big beautiful wall. The rest of the country can go to Hell as long as he pleases his base. Got to get that admiration.

batgoat wrote: »
    It's a pretty good result for Putin as it further solidifies Russia's position. Putin is himself a warmonger, you realise? It's also likely to inflame the Middle East again...

After spending 17 years in Afghanistan achieving **** all bar a high body count and costing absolute fortunes, Trump is correct to slowly withdraw from Afghanistan. They are achieving nothing their bar keeping the neocons and an establishment media that is enthralled with endless war happy.

He said he wanted to withdraw troops from Afghanistan before 2016 lets not forget. Shockingly outside the mainstream media bubble and neo con establishment this war is actually not that popular.

Syria they should have never been their in the first place,and despite what the GOP war mongers will say Syria does not belong to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I'm beginning to wonder how much longer McConnell and the R's will put up with Trump. The President might be blaming the Dems for this but he's effectively gone to war with the Senate Republicans by putting the gun to McConnells head and if McConnell doesn't go with the nuclear option (which he probably coulnd't deliver if he wanted to anyway), he'll no doubt start attacking him. No doubt President Pence is looking like a more attractive option by the day. Another few months of this, coupled with the inevitable bombshells Mueller and the House Intelligence Committee are going to drop, I don't know if Trump would be all that safe if an impeachment trial goes to the Senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

After spending 17 years in Afghanistan achieving **** all bar a high body count and costing absolute fortunes, Trump is correct to slowly withdraw from Afghanistan. They are achieving nothing their bar keeping the neocons and an establishment media that is enthralled with endless war happy.

He said he wanted to withdraw troops from Afghanistan before 2016 lets not forget. Shockingly outside the mainstream media bubble and neo con establishment this war is actually not that popular.

Syria they should have never been their in the first place,and despite what the GOP war mongers will say Syria does not belong to America.

I've made this point with you before.

Its not necessarily the withdrawal that's the problem. Its the manner in which he's doing it.

He should consult with his allies.

It's a little more complicated than simply ripping off a plaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

jooksavage wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder how much longer McConnell and the R's will put up with Trump. The President might be blaming the Dems for this but he's effectively gone to war with the Senate Republicans by putting the gun to McConnells head and if McConnell doesn't go with the nuclear option (which he probably coulnd't deliver if he wanted to anyway), he'll no doubt start attacking him. No doubt President Pence is looking like a more attractive option by the day. Another few months of this, coupled with the inevitable bombshells Mueller and the House Intelligence Committee are going to drop, I don't know if Trump would be all that safe if an impeachment trial goes to the Senate.

The congress isn't required to wait until the mueller report comes out. The Clinton impeachment did wait, but the Nixon resignation fell because Barry Goldwater went to the White House and told Nixon basically he'd lose a trial of impeachment in the senate. So the US congress don't have to wait, especially when the evidence publically is pillling up.

everlast75 wrote: »
    I've made this point with you before.

Its not necessarily the withdrawal that's the problem. Its the manner in which he's doing it.

He should consult with his allies.

It's a little more complicated than simply ripping off a plaster.

His "allies" will want America in Syria and Afghanistan forever. Syria they are their illegally and he can and should put pressure on the Turks to protect the Kurds.

With Afghanistan, its relatively moderate what he is doing despite what the bloodthirsty neocons suggest, numbers fluctuate constantly their and if Trump is replaced expect Pence to increase the numbers anyhow.

I'd hope he at least follows through with Afghanistan, as while I admit Syria is a mess, bar appeasing the war mongers their is actual support for getting the hell out of their.

But the reaction and the anger from corporate media, neocons, and centre Dems has been astonishing. They have not questioned why they are their and what they hope to achieve they just want to occupy these lands forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

On Trump having a mental disorder- there was a number of psychiatrists who analysed him and concurred that something was amiss. iirc the psychiatrists association came out at the time and said it was bad practice to be analysing people on tv rather than face to face interviews. It still doesnt mean they were wrong though.

On the Govt. shutdown- as far as I understand in these situations federal employees such as muesum workers, national park rangers, etc dont get paid any salary while the Govt is shutdown. Does anyone know if they get any kind of social welfare at all to survive? Or is it just tough luck? It seems very harsh to just chuck people out of work for a month or so because politicians are having a game of brinkmanship in Washington.

Also I was reading that there are circa two million federal employees- many of who vote. Surely it is sizeable error by Trump making two million potential voters unemployed. I mean they arent exactly going to be happy with any president who causes instability in the jobs and lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Muahahaha wrote: »
    On Trump having a mental disorder- there was a number of psychiatrists who analysed him and concurred that something was amiss. iirc the psychiatrists association came out at the time and said it was bad practice to be analysing people on tv rather than face to face interviews. It still doesnt mean they were wrong though.

The book is called The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump' (only some of the essays were worth reading, imo)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/the-time-cure/201709/the-dangerous-case-donald-trump

Quote from the article:

More than 60,000 mental health professionals have signed John’s petition, which states:

“We, the undersigned mental health professionals, believe in our professional judgment that Donald Trump manifests a serious mental illness that renders him psychologically incapable of competently discharging the duties of President of the United States. And we respectfully request he be removed from office, according to article 4 of the 25th amendment to the Constitution, which states that the president will be replaced if he is ‘unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.’”

Just the 60,000 professionals going against their code of ethics because they think it is overridden by having a malignant narcissist as the leader of the free world...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump pulls the troops supporting the Kurds because Erdogan demanded it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/21/james-mattis-resignation-trump-erdogan-phone-call

What a wimp

I've not seen the video but apparently Brian kilmeade of fox and friends had a go at Sarah sanders today about rah pulling troops out of Syria.

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1076210500688596993?s=19

Kavanaugh doesn't seem to be doing what he was put there to do.....

No he doesn't does he ? He also rule with planned parenthood with regard to Medicaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The Kurds must be one of the most tragic and betrayed people.
    Frontlines against ISIS for so long now being left to fend for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

He dissented, though. It was Roberts who was the swing vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

His "allies" will want America in Syria and Afghanistan forever. Syria they are their illegally and he can and should put pressure on the Turks to protect the Kurds.
    You might as well ask the cats to protect the mice. The Kurds are fecked.

He dissented, though. It was Roberts who was the swing vote.

Ah okay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently Ginsberg has had another health scare, removing 2 cancerous nodes from a lung. Needless to say those worrying about a conservative takeover of the Supreme Court are clutching their pearls and saying prayers for her continued health.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Apparently Ginsberg has had another health scare, removing 2 cancerous nodes from a lung. Needless to say those worrying about a conservative takeover of the Supreme Court are clutching their pearls and saying prayers for her continued health.

Bill O'Reilly tweeted about it and could hardly contain his glee

https://twitter.com/GaryGrumbach/status/1076217282609770497?s=19

I'd almost name my next son Ruth after this...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Bill O'Reilly tweeted about it and could hardly contain his glee

He's quite a nasty piece of work. But then again, it costs him about 30 odd million to grope people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No more crowing from the POTUS on the stock market. Worst week in 10 years. https://nypost.com/2018/12/21/us-stock-market-suffers-worst-week-in-nearly-a-decade/

Economic growth recorded @3.4% which is ok but largely fueled by the tax cut.

If this is indeed the long-awaited correction thats not good going forward. Recession for 2019?

Water John wrote: »
    Trump pulls the troops supporting the Kurds because Erdogan demanded it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/21/james-mattis-resignation-trump-erdogan-phone-call

What a wimp

The epitome of real politik.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

the_syco wrote: »
    With Mattis gone, I fear how much more Trump will pander Russia. AFAIK, Mattis left as Trump wanted to give Russia pretty much what they wanted.

Don's act in deciding to pull the troops from Syria and Afghanistan despite the opposition of his Def Sec leaves me wondering when the serving generals start resigning in protest at Don selling the US out from under them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Trump is a job creator, if only the Dems would let him

A lot of Latin American people smugglers are counting on that wall, so they can increase their smuggling fees.

Wont somebody please think of the smugglers?

Footnote: Investment opportunity for explosives distributors in Mexico. Contact MEXSMUG at PO 4555545555455554

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement