Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Water John wrote: »
    Trump has been openly discussing firing the Head of the Fed. That will end well.

Well,the head of the Central Bank for the US shouldn't be so focused on 'meaningless numbers' - Trump's next pick will be someone who can 'feel the market'.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075001077576151041

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The interest in Trump is beyond having an opinion at this stage. It's a unhealthy obsession. And it's all from the people that hate Trump and are hoping he'll get impeached or resign at some point. Irony being that most posters here don't live in America !

Disingenuous; you have the most outspoken, aggressive, declaratory president of modern times, one who uses Twitter to speak on EVERYTHING, in a country with strong cultural and political ties to this part of the world and ... what? You cry fowl because we take an active interest? Give me a break. Affecting apathy or superiority over a genuine phenomenon like Trump is bad faith and like I said, disingenuous.

And aside from everything else. It's the politics forum. Obsession over global current affairs is literally this areas purpose. Cmon, wise up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Another hen killed there, Pixel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

pixelburp wrote: »
    Disingenuous; you have the most outspoken, aggressive, declaratory president of modern times, one who uses Twitter to speak on EVERYTHING, in a country with strong cultural and political ties to this part of the world and ... what? You cry fowl because we take an active interest? Give me a break. Affecting apathy or superiority over a genuine phenomenon like Trump is bad faith and like I said, disingenuous.

Compared to Obama he has down scaled drone attacks and he hasn't destabilized any countries like Bush and a lesser extent Obama. Nor has he imprisoned any journalists while Obama locked up record numbers of journalists. Trump has a loud bark but so far that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DvCYTJqW0AUE2Wk?format=jpg&name=small

I 100% agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    Compared to Obama he has down scaled drone attacks and he hasn't destabilized any countries like Bush and a lesser extent Obama. Nor has he imprisoned any journalists while Obama locked up record numbers of journalists. Trump has a loud bark but so far that's all.

But what about.....

Come on now, have you not come up with a better argument yet to defend cheetio benito?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

DvCYTJqW0AUE2Wk?format=jpg&name=small

I 100% agree.

That's quite likely not a real tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,552 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Compared to Obama he has down scaled drone attacks and he hasn't destabilized any countries like Bush and a lesser extent Obama.

Wait till he pulls troops from syria he will destabilise a whole region!
    Nor has he imprisoned any journalists while Obama locked up record numbers of journalists. Trump has a loud bark but so far that's all.

He has treated the media so badly with his claims of "fake news" that they are getting explosive devices sent to thier offices!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's quite likely not a real tweet.

Yup that's a fake tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Drone attacks have actually increased https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-has-expanded-obamas-drone-war-to-shadow-war-zones-2018-11?r=US&IR=T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

McGuirk is the 404th person to leave or quit the Trump administration. That's 1.7 people a day leaving. Incredible stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

So, do you think that this was a well-thought-out decision by the commander in chief?

And while we're here, do you think that this decision advances the USA's strategic interests in the region?

1. Nope. Mainly because i’m not sure many of his decisions are well thought out.

2. Nope. That said, I am also not sure how much continuing the mission advances the US’s interests in the region either. It seems to me that whether the US stays or not, Assad will remain in power, the Russians will keep their Mediterranean bases, and ISIS will get further rolled up, by an undistracted Assad if not by US allies, it seems unlikely to me that IS and Assad would tolerate each other. The only endstate I can see which ends well for the pro US factions is one where the US helps them as directly and overtly as the Russians are helping Assad. I have not seen anything indicating that that course of action is likely, which begs the question of why we are going through the trouble in the first place. Mattis is certainly correct that there is a moral obligation to stand by declared allies, but if, in order to succeed, those allies require more help than we will give them, we have effectively abandoned them anyway. It seems to be a case of fish or cut bait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A loud bark, like a dog whistle perhaps? Why this kneejerk reaction to justify the deficiencies of this threads subject by name dropping his predecessor, as if it's a lame "gotcha" cliché that we're all Obama groupies. It's adds nothing and just amounts to insincere whataboutery, and a side of the mouth insult to those keeping to the subject.

And this loud bark, this constant declaration of journalists as "enemies of the people " in effect encouraged pipe bombs and increased aggression against the press. Words have power, doubly so for a president who has intentionally cultivated a Cult of Personality. Again it's utterly insincere to ignore that power and the consequences of Trumps attack rhetoric.

It's also literally textbook authoritarianism, but sure, lets talk about how awful Obama was :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Not to derail the tread away from its subject matter but which journalists did Obama imprison?

I'm scratching my head trying to remember if any journalist was jailed by the Obama administration. I know the Obama administration really targeted sources under the espionage act, Chelsea Manning, Snowden etc. I also think it's fair to criticize Obama's treatment of the Press. Both Presidents treated the Press horribly but just in different ways, one sophisticated, one yelling like a crazy conspiracy theorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,645 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Perhaps the main ression why Trump is considering firing the head of the Fed Reserve...

https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/1076585700026445831?s=19

jjpep wrote: »
    Not to derail the tread away from its subject matter but which journalists did Obama imprison?

If you look at their post history, you'll see a pattern of dropping unsubstantiated cr@p and then legging it. Why we should have a post limit and granted access like on the soccer subs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

pixelburp wrote: »
    A loud bark, like a dog whistle perhaps? Why this kneejerk reaction to justify the deficiencies of this threads subject by name dropping his predecessor, as if it's a lame "gotcha" cliché that we're all Obama groupies. It's adds nothing and just amounts to insincere whataboutery, and a side of the mouth insult to those keeping to the subject.

And this loud bark, this constant declaration of journalists as "enemies of the people " in effect encouraged pipe bombs and increased aggression against the press. Words have power, doubly so for a president who has intentionally cultivated a Cult of Personality. Again it's utterly insincere to ignore that power and the consequences of Trumps attack rhetoric.

It's also literally textbook authoritarianism, but sure, lets talk about how awful Obama was :rolleyes:

Your alliteration is top notch. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

everlast75 wrote: »
    Perhaps the main ression why Trump is considering firing the head of the Fed Reserve...

https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/1076585700026445831?s=19

As distinct from when he was wearing a different pair of shoes and could afford to, and maybe not now.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/12/victory-interest-rate-rise-donald-trump-us-economy-will-pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

derossi wrote: »
    Your alliteration is top notch. Cheers.
    Surely it is normal to compare to a predecessor. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

So, is it true that Don is having rant sessions [no pun] against his temporary AG appointee because Matt won't act [as Don reportedly desires] to restrain Rob and the investigation? I'm not sure if the media report is correct in so far as it comes from a source Don does not like and is having adverse opinion rows with. Sometimes rage has within it an actual kernel of truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

Phonehead wrote: »
    I'm scratching my head trying to remember if any journalist was jailed by the Obama administration. I know the Obama administration really targeted sources under the espionage act, Chelsea Manning, Snowden etc. I also think it's fair to criticize Obama's treatment of the Press. Both Presidents treated the Press horribly but just in different ways, one sophisticated, one yelling like a crazy conspiracy theorist.
    Let us not forget Obama released Manning early while Trump was calling on her to get the death penalty.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2017-01-26/chelsea-manning-is-a-traitor-and-shouldnt-have-been-released-trump-tweets?context=amp

Christy42 wrote: »

True, but you could say he was righting his own wrong. Then again I'd hate to have been in Obama's shoes in the first place, how do you deal with someone who is both morally right yet committed treason at the same time. Actually now I'm just starting to think Obama dealt with it exactly how I'd deal with it, prosecute and then pardon them as I leave office. But I still firmly believe Obama set the anti media tone for the WH. Trump however just continued and escalated it to gutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The only thing with the press that I remember with Obama was the James Rosen from Fox News incident.

True, but you could say he was righting his own wrong. Then again I'd hate to have been in Obama's shoes in the first place, how do you deal with someone who is both morally right yet committed treason at the same time. Actually now I'm just starting to think Obama dealt with it exactly how I'd deal with it, prosecute and then pardon them as I leave office. But I still firmly believe Obama set the anti media tone for the WH. Trump however just continued and escalated it to gutter.

How did Obama set the anti-media tone? Can you give examples please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

derossi wrote: »
    Surely it is normal to compare to a predecessor. :cool:

Why are you replying to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Trump has tweeted that he didn't know the guy that quit who was the envoy helping the fight against ISIS. I mean how does he not know who he was ? Also he tweeted about Mattis saying that lots of people told him not to take a chance on mattis. How bloody petty is this guy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭amandstu

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So Trump has tweeted that he didn't know the guy that quit who was the envoy helping the fight against ISIS. I mean how does he not know who he was ? Also he tweeted about Mattis saying that lots of people told him not to take a chance on mattis. How bloody petty is this guy ?
    Maybe he has forgotten who Mattis is. (a poor post granted but probably at a higher level than that tweet)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

Christy42 wrote: »

Just comparing to two men and showing they are not in the same league of being anti media (which you say yourself).

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    How did Obama set the anti-media tone? Can you give examples please

Obama excluded Fox News (hate them we may but Trump hasn't yet pushed this button) they seized the phone records of the journalists of the Associated Press and even had surveillance on them. The New York Times which would be considered to lean left even criticized the treatment of the Press under Obama.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement