Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

How will the shutdown play out?

Will both sides look at the polling and back down once they see they are loosing support? (by getting blamed)

Is that the bottom line?

Which side can wait longest?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

How do those on here, who felt like Trump was doing the right thing in pulling out of Syria and supported him despite criticism, feel now??

https://twitter.com/KellyO/status/1079508573313531905?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

everlast75 wrote: »
    How do those on here, who felt like Trump was doing the right thing in pulling out of Syria and supported him despite criticism, feel now??

No point in staying in Syria. Assad has won the war - and thank God for that. The Arab spring is over. Huge US force still in Iraq and they can project power anywhere any time with their aircraft carriers.

Trump knows the corrupt establishment in Washington have pissed away 10 trillion in the Middle East over the past 15 years. 10 trillion and nothing to show for it. Still a third world kip. This money could’ve been spent on American citizens and American infrastructure. Trump can’t change the pointless past. But he can change the future.

pearcider wrote: »
    No point in staying in Syria. Assad has won the war - and thank God for that. The Arab spring is over. Huge US force still in Iraq and they can project power anywhere any time with their aircraft carriers.

Trump knows the corrupt establishment in Washington have pissed away 10 trillion in the Middle East over the past 15 years. 10 trillion and nothing to show for it. Still a third world kip. This money could’ve been spent on American citizens and American infrastructure. Trump can’t change the pointless past. But he can change the future.

Not what I asked....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am not sure how they are connected. I feel like people could support his Syria policy and disagree with him on this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I cannot understand how the strategy of "bombing them back to the stone age" didn't work.
    And funny how it was both Bush's who started it all.
    But I'm sure the new strategy of "bombing them into the stone age and then fcuking off" will change everything. I bet they fcuking love the west now and will certainly desist from any further terrorist action.
    I just hope all of it lands where it belongs. The good ole' US of A.
    Who by the way owe Europe several billions for sparking a refugee crisis and dumping the problem at our door.
    US foreign policy has been to sh*t on the world and fcuking off after wiping their arse with whatever country they were in.
    And we get to look after the fallout.
    Isis and their terror attacks are the making of Uncle Sam.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I am not sure how they are connected. I feel like people could support his Syria policy and disagree with him on this matter.

The point is that people on here and elsewhere had a problem with him pulling out of Syria immediately and without consultation with our allies.

Trump defenders said it didn't matter, or that he was right to do what he said he would do.

Turns out, what he said was (as usual) BS, they aren't going anywhere yet.

I'm asking if the Trump supporters feel annoyed at all, you know, as in "he is 2 years in and still hasn't built a wall" kind of annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Someone asked earlier how the shutdown would be resolved, which side would give in.

Trump has already given in. The wall is now a metaphor for border security, it's no longer 20bn but a few extra billion.

But it aimed at repositioning his base to a new position. It was always about a real physical "beautiful" wall. But now it's a fence, or better laws or more patrols.

Tl:Dr Trump will be forced to fold, again, but will have convinced his supporters that he actually won by changing the core beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

It's simple. To the more feeble minded Trump supportes any statement by him is automatically true.
    If he now makes a statement contradicting the previous statement, this is also true, but doesn't make his previous statement untrue, because a Trump Statement is always true.
    Any statement coming from the Dems is automatically false, even if it agrees with Trump's statement.
    Any evidence trying to refute Trump's statement is fake news. If this evidence is coming from Fox or Breitbart, it didn't happen, because Fox and Breitbart always agree with Trump and any indication to the contrary is just liberal propaganda.
    Follow these simple rules and you too can become a mindless Trump automoton. At least none of that pesky thinking is involved.

I cannot understand how the strategy of "bombing them back to the stone age" didn't work.
    But I'm sure the new strategy of "bombing them into the stone age and then fcuking off" will change everything. I bet they fcuking love the west now and will certainly desist from any further terrorist action.
    Who by the way owe Europe several billions for sparking a refugee crisis and dumping the problem at our door.
    US foreign policy has been to sh*t on the world and fcuking off after wiping their arse with whatever country they were in.

One more point. The refugee crisis was precipitated by bad border security on Europe’s part. No joined up thinking. It was a failure of eu states not the US - who let’s not forget can’t even secure their own border. The EU allowed lunatic left wingers to set up virtual smuggling networks in the Mediterranean. That is what has caused the crisis. The Italians Greeks and Spaniards should have sunk those rescue ships. Anything else is literally funding people smuggling and organised crime.

Also the destruction of Libya played a far greater role in the migrant crisis than any middle eastern conflict. Let’s not forget it was your peace loving Obama who did that. And his horrible “we came we saw he died” secretary of state.

Inconvenient facts which don’t fit your fantasy narrative.

• Advertisement

List them here for us please.

Economy booming despite the fed continuing to hike rates. (They’d never do that to Obama) Unemployment at record lows. North Korea detente. Illegal immigration massively down. Renegotiated nafta. Will continue to face down Communist China and their cheating. Agreement by nato “allies” to fund their militaries. Victory over ISIS. And judging by all the firings over the past two years...a lot of swamp has been cleared. He will be a two term president. He is massively popular which the polls don’t show because “racist!!!” Just like the polls showed a Clinton victory and were dead wrong. People love him because he speaks his mind and he is a fighter. Deal with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Economy booming despite the fed continuing to hike rates. (They’d never do that to Obama) Unemployment at record lows. North Korea detente. Illegal immigration massively down. Renegotiated nafta. Will continue to face down Communist China and their cheating. Agreement by nato “allies” to fund their militaries. Victory over ISIS. And judging by all the firings over the past two years...a lot of swamp has been cleared. He will be a two term president. He is massively popular which the polls don’t show because “racist!!!” Just like the polls showed a Clinton victory and were dead wrong. People love him because he speaks his mind and he is a fighter. Deal with it.

Are you trying to rationalise that Trumps own appointees to the administration, being fired or quitting their posts, are victories? You're satisfied that the remaining figures such as Betsy DeVos, Rick Perry or Ben Carson are 'draining the swamp'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

That what I love about Trump, and personally I don’t like the guy but as a politician wow. He continues to grind out victories.

And this is how they sell it to themselves; Trump is a terrible human being "but" he's a political powerhouse. He's doing what he said he'd do. It's ok it's just politics.

Basically if I look at him in a certain light and squint really hard then he's ok in my book.

*Warning victories may be imagined!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,625 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

A full 30ft wall across the entire border, paid for by Mexico, was what he ran on.

Anything less than that is a step back from Trump. And we know that his version of the wall will never be built.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Locked for review.

Edit: Reopened. Most of Pearcider's recent posts and replies to them have been deleted. Pearcider has been permanently banned from this forum. Please do not engage trolls and use the report function instead.

Also:

This is unacceptable. Please do not post like this here again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

Christy42 wrote: »

The point is that people on here and elsewhere had a problem with him pulling out of Syria immediately and without consultation with our allies.

Trump defenders said it didn't matter, or that he was right to do what he said he would do.

Turns out, what he said was (as usual) BS, they aren't going anywhere yet.

I'm asking if the Trump supporters feel annoyed at all, you know, as in "he is 2 years in and still hasn't built a wall" kind of annoyed.
    Ah hadn't realised he had backed out of his Syria statements as well.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Someone asked earlier how the shutdown would be resolved, which side would give in.

Trump has already given in. The wall is now a metaphor for border security, it's no longer 20bn but a few extra billion.

But it aimed at repositioning his base to a new position. It was always about a real physical "beautiful" wall. But now it's a fence, or better laws or more patrols.

Tl:Dr Trump will be forced to fold, again, but will have convinced his supporters that he actually won by changing the core beliefs.
    Yes it is starting to dawn on me that I must have been deluded to imagine he was promising a solid wall from Texas to San Diego.

I didn't realize he was such a nuanced character and that his words weren't to be taken at face value.

It seems the shutdown is about saving face or throwing as much dirt into the opponent's face as possible and will end when this process is played out.

A more difficult quiz...

https://jrnl.ie/4367323

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

A more difficult quiz...

9 out of 15 some of them were numbers ones and what date so was difficult enough without googling

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    9 out of 15 some of them were numbers ones and what date so was difficult enough without googling

Same here.(thank God I didn't get them all)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

A more difficult quiz...

As I ran through this quiz I wondered to myself how many questions would trump himself get right? He does claim to have the best memory, but, from observations, details are definitely not a strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Elizabeth Warren running for president in 2020: https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1079734725323964417

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I got 10/15 on that Trump quiz. I didn't get some of the amounts wrong. Also the fact that the answer was "himself" to some answers says it all really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Elizabeth Warren running for president in 2020:

An 'exploratory committee', sounds like she might be hedging her bets a little. Not so much a definitive announcement as a dipping of the toe to see how the reaction / support might be.

Should be entertaining to watch the left-leaning portion of the Democrats eat themselves in their typical self-loathing spiral. They seem incapable of just owning their positions in the manner Republicans can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump is claiming that the reporting that they have moved away from a concrete wall is fake news. The only problem is that this news is coming from an on the record interview with his outgoing chief of staff. I mean he complains about it not being true because the sources aren't revealed yet we have a named source and he still claims it's fake.

pixelburp wrote: »
    An 'exploratory committee', sounds like she might be hedging her bets a little. Not so much a definitive announcement as a dipping of the toe to see how the reaction / support might be.

Should be entertaining to watch the left-leaning portion of the Democrats eat themselves in their typical self-loathing spiral. They seem incapable of just owning their positions in the manner Republicans can do.

I'm nearly 100% exploratory committees are a standard step for anyone running.

I'm nearly 100% exploratory committees are a standard step for anyone running.

It's certainly how the press are reporting it. As well as the inevitable Democrat implosion no doubt the GOP will hit her on the DNA tests, it'd be the right amiunt of trivial and petty. That and her more left leaning credentials. A Warren / Trump debate would be ... well, interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Trump is claiming that the reporting that they have moved away from a concrete wall is fake news. The only problem is that this news is coming from an on the record interview with his outgoing chief of staff. I mean he complains about it not being true because the sources aren't revealed yet we have a named source and he still claims it's fake.

While he's publicly promoting and running with the spiky-topped fence idea for the Mexico-US border, showing drawing of it on public TV. If there is no GOP voter reminder to him, from even Fox News, as a memory aide of his idea, then the GOP voters [not the party itself] are to blame for letting him run riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

pixelburp wrote: »

If she's a stalking horse intent on drawing out the reluctant candidates to start running their wares before the Dem voters in the early new year, she might do a lot of good to incentivise the voter base to start demanding better from them. It's early days yet and will make her a target for Don's tweets.

If she's genuinely going for the office, the GOP will have to start looking seriously at a different candidate as I don't think Don will get away with the "shark in the water"debate antics he pulled on TV with HRC, however it might have been good optics back then for the vote.

• Advertisement

That's my wondering too; whether Warren is a stalking horse or not. I can't say how popular she is on a national level, and the DNA tomfoolery would surely make her a target of ridicule as a faux, "virtue signalling" (to use an expression I hate) liberal. Which, not to be a broken record, is only going to cause problems with the Purity Test crowd as well.

She seems quite fearless as a debater, and much more charismatic than Clinton ever was, so one wonders how she'd deal with Trump's combative style.

She was never not a prospective candidate in media circles, I suspect this may be a real shot at the big job. Establishment enough to appease one side, progressive enough (certainly more so than the last time) to potentially bring on board the Bernie types.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement