Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Warren missed her moment by not endorsing Bernie in 2016. I understand she did want to get on the wrong side of Clinton, but damn it was a bad call.

I dunno who the progressive element of the dems can rally behind though, they don't trust Beto, Harris etc. Gabbard is probably their best chance, but she way to much baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My God what a petty little child, I genuinely hope they manage to get him in 2019:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1079497288605683712

EDIT: Just to save you Googling, yes you gussed right, its a lie, Washington Post editor:

https://twitter.com/loisromano/status/1079505440327811072

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I've stopped reading his tweets now.

They no longer hold any interest for me. It's "old hat". Tired, old content. Nothing new. And of course, 100% easily disproven BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

...and it has been removed!

I saw this on reddit and it should be dragged up whenever the Trump fans complain about the Dems blocking his agenda:
    m57u9hyy9m721.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

looksee wrote: »

Wasn't there a legal issue as his tweets are record being president and can't be deleted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Still seems to be available for me? I thought he wasn't allowed to delete his tweets?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Still seems to be available for me? I thought he wasn't allowed to delete his tweets?
    I'd doubt he knows how to delete the tweets in fairness, but the ruling regarding twitter wasn't to do with deleting them or not. It was that he had blocked people from reading them and it was deemed unconstitutional for the president to restrict who could hear what he had to say.

It's something else entirely that people don't want to know what he has to say, but the president cannot block access to himself from US citizens.

Edit: and the tweets being deleted wouldn't affect them being part of the presidential records either as that will be done separately. Twitter is not the record keeper, someone else has the job to copy the tweets to a more reliable and permanent medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Elizabeth Warren running for president in 2020: https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1079734725323964417

Can't see it, averaging around 15/1 in the markets.
    Beto has a much better chance, and as such is about 7/1.

Oprah could be a wildcard, plenty of celeb factor.
    Possible value also via Pence if DT gets tired of all the politics.

Trump is slipping slighty although still the fav at 2/1.

If you follow the link in this thread it can be seen, but going directly to his fb page it is not there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Serious question: why quote these tweets at all except as low hanging fruit for mocking? We know by now his social media output is mostly hyperbole and bare faced lies or bile, there's nothing new to be learned here, and arguably just feeds the claim the thread acts as echo chamber. There's plenty of rope to hang the administration with, regurgitating tweets feels like conversational detritus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

pixelburp wrote: »
    Serious question: why quote these tweets at all except as low hanging fruit for mocking? We know by now his social media output is mostly hyperbole and bare faced lies or bile, there's nothing new to be learned here, and arguably just feeds the claim the thread acts as echo chamber. There's plenty of rope to hang the administration with, regurgitating tweets feels like conversational detritus :)

Yes you may be right. Just let the Feds keep a record of what his Press Secretary stated for the record, that his tweets were to be seen as official presidential statements. If he wants to keep on sticking it to himself for those he's made enemies of, then let him. It's his right under the 1st amendment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Because this should never be accepted as normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

That may be so, but in a megathread about His Trumpness we can hardly ignore them.
    You cannot talk about Trump and ignore the tweets.
    Of course it could be argued that this is the politics forum and only policy development and implementation, as well as only reputable news sources, was to be discussed, but that would be looking at the man through a pinhole.
    By force of his insane persona he himself exploded the parameters of mere political discourse.

Two years into this admin, with total control and no wall built.

Bad enough as that is to a trump supporter, Mexico was supposed to pay for it.

They then moved to the line that Mexico will pay for it indirectly.

How could it possibly get any worse?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1080037414112903169?s=19

I wonder if this will make another bunch of Trump supporters finally get the fact that they bought a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

everlast75 wrote: »
    Two years into this admin, with total control and no wall built.

Bad enough as that is to a trump supporter, Mexico was supposed to pay for it.

They then moved to the line that Mexico will pay for it indirectly.

How could it possibly get any worse?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1080037414112903169?s=19

I wonder if this will make another bunch of Trump supporters finally get the fact that they bought a lemon.

No, because most of them never cared about who pays for the wall, they just want the wall (or rather, what they believe the wall represents, which is decreased immigration and treating immigrants/asylum seekers much harsher).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

jjpep wrote: »
    Because this should never be accepted as normal.

I'm not advocating that it should, but at this stage, 2 years into the Presidency, I just don't see the value in posting his demonstrable garbage on this thread, beyond as depressing cheap-shots. It's almost clickbait. The admin, and Trumps own voice are reminder enough of how abnormal this era is. Posting his tweets does kinda feel a little counter productive to encouraging debate. Plus it is just exhausting :(

At the start I checked his tweets myself. Sometime last year I stopped doing it as I realised I found it rather depressing and pointless. However some of the more egregious, outrageous, ridiculous posts just have to be shared as he is the POTUS, and while he may have thrown away his 'leader of the free world' title he still has an irrational amount of clout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I'm not advocating that it should, but at this stage, 2 years into the Presidency, I just don't see the value in posting his demonstrable garbage on this thread, beyond as depressing cheap-shots. It's almost clickbait. The admin, and Trumps own voice are reminder enough of how abnormal this era is. Posting his tweets does kinda feel a little counter productive to encouraging debate. Plus it is just exhausting :(

It would be like a Star Wars thread where we're not allowed to discuss the movies.
    Ugly as it may be, and I don't advocate just dumping tweets at random into the thread, but we simply cannot ignore at least some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Can't see it, averaging around 15/1 in the markets.
    Beto has a much better chance, and as such is about 7/1.

Oprah could be a wildcard, plenty of celeb factor.
    Possible value also via Pence if DT gets tired of all the politics.

Trump is slipping slighty although still the fav at 2/1.

Remind me, what price was Trump four years ago?

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    No, because most of them never cared about who pays for the wall, they just want the wall (or rather, what they believe the wall represents, which is decreased immigration and treating immigrants/asylum seekers much harsher).

I don't know about that.

Ann Coulter and others do care about it. In fact, their reaction brought about the shutdown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

I'm convinced that the whole wall thing just popped into his head someday as something to say at rallies to get the crowd riled up. Lots of politicians get some kind of hook topic to go on about to avoid talking about actual policies which is more difficult. Reagan was famously terrible at talking about the economy so just made up the idea of people on the dole driving Cadillacs.
    If he seriously thinks its a good idea where is the research into it. He's painted himself into a corner with it now. I think the democrats will be able to pass a bill to reopen the government anyway. The image he shared of steel poles and sharp points at the top looks useless. Drugs can be passed through such a structure anyway.

Yep, I get where your coming from. My Facebook feed is clogged up with different providers like God and woke sloth constantly going on about them and reactions to them. And it's definitely clickbait in those cases. But it's him doing it, it's not late night talk shows doing or jokes about him, it's the actual potus writing this rubbish. And if we give it any amount of acceptance than its only going to get worse, not just from trump but whoever will be next.

But God yeah, you'd just get wore out from the rubbish the man says...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yep, I get where your coming from. My Facebook feed is clogged up with different providers like God and woke sloth constantly going on about them and reactions to them. And it's definitely clickbait in those cases. But it's him doing it, it's not late night talk shows doing or jokes about him, it's the actual potus writing this rubbish. And if we give it any amount of acceptance than its only going to get worse, not just from trump but whoever will be next.

But God yeah, you'd just get wore out from the rubbish the man says...
    I have a solution for you. Get rid of Facebook.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I have a solution for you. Get rid of Facebook.

I don't know if Facebook is the actual problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I don't know if Facebook is the actual problem.
    At this stage, if there's any doubt, facebook shouldn't get the benefit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Remind me, what price was Trump four years ago?

Varies, opened about 100/1, and fairly quickly went to 25/1.

But on actual election night as votes were being counted and the Dem media-machines were high-fiving, he went out to 10/1, but shortly after, won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Dem media machines :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

prawnsambo wrote: »
    At this stage, if there's any doubt, facebook shouldn't get the benefit of it.

Actually yes, but on the context of weather we should be ignoring trump's twitter's or treating them them as the new normal what I was saying is that's that is the problem, not the medium reporting it ie Facebook.

But yep, there is for sure a conversation to be had about any service provider that curates what we see as news/information.

• Advertisement

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/mitt-romney-the-president-shapes-the-public-character-of-the-nation-trumps-character-falls-short/2019/01/01/37a3c8c2-0d1a-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html#click=https://t.co/tNfvqV977d

Looks like Trump won't have it so easy anymore.

I say "looks like", as while I know Romney is thinking of a future Pres run, we have just lost a "Flake". We will have to wait and see if maybe we have just gotten another one...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement