Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Penn wrote: »
    In response to Pelosi pulling the SOTU from Trump, Trump has now cancelled aircraft for some international trips Pelosi was due to make (including revealing she was due to visit Afghanistan which hadn't been revealed for security reasons).

Regardless of the reason, Pelosi had a valid excuse for putting off the SOTU. Trump's response is just petty and it shows.

So Pelosi can make childish moves but Trump can't? Interesting. You would have to hope that the majority of people will see through both of these partisan moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

VonZan wrote: »
    So Pelosi can make childish moves but Trump can't? Interesting. You would have to hope that the majority of people will see through both of these partisan moves.

Who made the claim that Trump can't make childish moves?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What childish moves did Pelosi make ? It's here duty as Speaker of the House to invite the sitting President to address a joint session of Congress. There is no legal or constitutional requirement that I know of for the President to give a SOTU address on TV or in front of the congress.The only thing I've read is that the President must do a SOTU, but not how they do one. Up until 1913 it wasn't an in person address. It was a letter sent to Congress and read out by someone(presumably not the speaker) to both house members and Senators.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't completely disagree. What I'm saying is that regardless of the reasoning behind it, Pelosi has a valid reason for delaying the SOTU (not cancelling, delaying).

Trump does not have a valid reason, it's clear he's doing it out of spite and in retaliation for Pelosi and her comments, and in doing so potentially breached security protocols.

I agree they're both partisan moves, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that one is much worse than the other.

Ultros wrote: »
    what goes around comes around.
    Indeed it does, as Trump won't be long finding out hopefully. You don't get away with a lifetime of screwing people over without consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

According to the NYT, Don sent a letter to Nancy that she can fly by commercial, that due to the shutdown he had to postpone her trip [on USAF aircraft]. It also pointed the shutdown did not affect his flight to visit the troops abroad, which Nancy and the other congress members were also due to do. The White House knew from early last week of the planned trip after DOD informed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Both sides are bad is the closest thing we can get a Trump supporter to say anything negative about Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What childish moves did Pelosi make ? It's here duty as Speaker of the House to invite the sitting President to address a joint session of Congress. There is no legal or constitutional requirement that I know of for the President to give a SOTU address on TV or in front of the congress.The only thing I've read is that the President must do a SOTU, but not how they do one. Up until 1913 it wasn't an in person address. It was a letter sent to Congress and read out by someone(presumably not the speaker) to both house members and Senators.

Of course it's not a requirement but it's a silly, childish move from Pelosi. Getting Trump addressing Congress in person would be amazing to watch. These are both partisan moves to annoy the other party. Removing Trump from the equation, the American people aren't happy with the current lawmakers. Playing games to try and stifle your opponent is childish behaviour. The Washington Post has a nice piece exposing her behaviour today. If she was really concerned about security why didn't she write to the secret service or DoHS?

It's hard to believe an Irish person becoming so entrenched in this nonsense. She invited him and is now saying he can't come because she's playing childish games as she always has.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dem House of Reps letting Trump know he'll have to deal with them or get nothing done, his choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Of course it's not a requirement but it's a silly, childish move from Pelosi. Getting Trump addressing Congress in person would be amazing to watch. These are both partisan moves to annoy the other party. Removing Trump from the equation, the American people aren't happy with the current lawmakers. Playing games to try and stifle your opponent is childish behaviour. The Washington Post has a nice piece exposing her behaviour today. If she was really concerned about security why didn't she write to the secret service or DoHS?

It's hard to believe an Irish person becoming so entrenched in this nonsense. She invited him and is now saying he can't come because she's playing childish games as she always has.

The shutdown is Donald Trump's fault, caused by his childish demands for a wall any wall. If we were talking about some reasonable policy here you might have a point. But you don't. There is only one politician acting like a child here and it is Donald Trump. He couldn't get the wall built when his own party were in charge, he shutdown the government in petulance.

This is not on Pelosi. Her delay of the SOTU is not unreasonable when Trump is refusing to pay government employees including security staff. Writing to the services concerned is not productive. Writing to the person whose decision the shutdown is on the other hand should be productive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The "I" word is everywhere this morning.

The Special Counsel's Office has *proof* DJT directed Cohen to lie under oath.

That's of obstruction of justice.

Which is one of the charges Nixon faced in his impeachment trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

everlast75 wrote: »

I woke to the news at 6am. Saw the Reddit megathread and yet, I thought to myself, this still won't be enough to get the Senate to charge him. Which is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Trump makes Nixon look like a noble man.
    He'll make up another scatter of lies, the GOP hardliners will stand behind him nodding and he'll carry on as if nothing happened.

You can't sit there and do nothing if there is proof that he obstructed justice, even if the Senate won't do anything about it.

The Dems would be negligent if they didn't start looking into it.

Btw - It was on Clinton's impeachment charges too.

That is of course, not to say, that there won't be more charges by the time the impeachment charges are brought.

I would say this story broke via Cohen as payback for the dig trump took at him and his family on Fox.

There's gonna be a whole sh1tshow more stuff revealed on Feb 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

I agree that the Dems will puah forward with it, but this administration just seems to be able to keep on trucking. The only reason that this report holds weight is because the BuzzFeed report also mentions that Mueller has evidence to back up Cohen's claims. Just like Manafort, I wouldn't trust him on his word alone.

What's on Feb 7th?

circadian wrote: »
    I agree that the Dems will puah forward with it, but this administration just seems to be able to keep on trucking. The only reason that this report holds weight is because the BuzzFeed report also mentions that Mueller has evidence to back up Cohen's claims. Just like Manafort, I wouldn't trust him on his word alone.

What's on Feb 7th?

Cohen appears before Congress

That is of course, not to say, that there won't be more charges by the time the impeachment charges are brought

More charges liiiikkkkkkkkee...

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1086160008151220224?s=19

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Penn wrote: »
    In response to Pelosi pulling the SOTU from Trump, Trump has now cancelled aircraft for some international trips Pelosi was due to make (including revealing she was due to visit Afghanistan which hadn't been revealed for security reasons).

Regardless of the reason, Pelosi had a valid excuse for putting off the SOTU. Trump's response is just petty and it shows.
    Really ? Ah he really is taking the piss.

And yet.despite his letter to Pelosi saying that due to the shutdown there was no money for Military flights but she could fly commercial if she wanted

Later that day , despite owning their own jet - Melania flew on a Military flight down to Mar-a-Lago.

Don't even have to go back to Clinton (which is relatively recent) to establish the rules on obstruction of justice.

Perhaps you could ask Trump's pick for the Attorney General's position...

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1086124446258221058

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I know a lot of things have felt like "this is it" but... this was grounds for impeachment of Nixon, so why not Trump?

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/status/1086102144929812480

BTW how funny would it be if it was Buzzfeed that brought down Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

My favourite comment from reddit on this new Cohen story....

Trump: I wish we could stop talking about this shutdown.

(monkey paw finger curls up)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

After seeing the buzzfeed story regarding Trump and him reportedly telling Michael cohen to lie to congress I've two simple words to say.

Stupid watergate

After seeing the buzzfeed story regarding Trump and him reportedly telling Michael cohen to lie to congress I've two simple words to say.

Stupid watergate
    Unfortunately we have about another month before Last Week Tonight is back :(

CNN doesn't seem to think that the Buzzfeed allegations are able to be confirmed until the Mueller report is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

CNN doesn't seem to think that the Buzzfeed allegations are able to be confirmed until the Mueller report is released.

Well of course not, it's only from one source, Cohen. It is said that Mueller can corroborate, but that would jeopardise his investigation if that information is released early

duploelabs wrote: »
    Well of course not, it's only from one source, Cohen. It is said that Mueller can corroborate, but that would jeopardise his investigation if that information is released early
    AFAIK the source of this story is not Cohen, it's someone within the Mueller investigation itself - Cohen is alleged to have made this statement or given this evidence to Mueller. No doubt Mueller's team is currently (or has) investigated and/or corroborated that story from Cohen.

AFAIK the source of this story is not Cohen, it's someone within the Mueller investigation itself - Cohen is alleged to have made this statement or given this evidence to Mueller. No doubt Mueller's team is currently (or has) investigated and/or corroborated that story from Cohen.

https://twitter.com/Mimirocah1/status/1086106480338763776

The question I had is, after all this time of Mueller being very secretive, why are there leaks now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Problem is, at this late stage it feels like the Republicans have gone full Sunk Cost Fallacy with Trump - maybe even moreso now their power is diminished after the midterms. I vacillate wildly on whether I realistically foresee the GOP turning on the President, even if he's shown to have committed an indictable offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The question I had is, after all this time of Mueller being very secretive, why are there leaks now?

Trump's likely upcoming responses. Leak the info, allow Trump to lie about it, release the proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Perhaps it has something to do with Cohen's upcoming hearing? Maybe someone has decided to give a few cheat notes to inform that will inform the Dems line of questioning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement