Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

B0jangles wrote: »
    As I already posted, the school the boys attend and the diocese to which it is affiliated have already made a statement saying they are 100% opposed to the behaviour displayed by their students.

Their representatives were at the march, they saw the whole story and they aren't 'waiting to see the full facts' they aren't talking the usual talk about 'holding off on judgement until our investigation is completed'.

Maybe you should ask the School board and the diocese why they are already sure that the fault was with the students and not the elderly native american man.

Given the haste with which the statement was put out, others have already started asking that question. It wouldn't be the first time that knee jerk media releases have been made, especially from a crowd not normally accustomed to doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Given the haste with which the statement was put out, others have already started asking that question. It wouldn't be the first time that knee jerk media releases have been made, especially from a crowd not normally accustomed to doing so.

You seem weirdly confident that the true facts are being hidden and when revealed, will actually show that the apparently racist asshole kids will be shown to be more sinned against than sinning.

Why is that?

I mean, if the school board and diocese had put out a hasty statement that they know all of these kids well and are 100% confident that they would never behave in a racist way, would you be as confident in questioning that statement, or would you instead accept it as solid evidence that they are being misjudged?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Some good videos coming out from beforehand. Won't be watched obviously.

Enjoy.

How can I enjoy them if they won't be watched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

What about the mother of one of the students who is trying to blame it on 'black muslims'? :rolleyes: All evidence indicates that the teens were at fault and are a tad bigoted to say the least....

everlast75 wrote: »

I didn't say anything about enjoying the videos. Enjoy the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Maybe because I'm looking for a larger story?

Have you noticed that the viral video going around which has started all the controversy is one which has been edited to coincidentally start at -just- the right time to make Mr Hodge look in the worst possible manner? Have you noticed that despite the evident proliferation of cameras, no unedited video from either side of the leadup has been proferred? Does it beg the possibility that people are trying to manipulate us?

The old bull/young bull description posted earlier seems quite apt. Mr Philips wanted to go to the Lincoln Memorial. There are already a crowd of students on the steps. Does Mr Phillips go around the crowd (The steps are quite wide), or through it? Mr Phillips claims that Mr Hodge deliberately blocked his path. At what timestamp in the longer video does Mr Hodge take a step in any direction to block Mr Phillips' path? Should Mr Hodge have gotten out of the way? Perhaps. Was he obliged to? Other than wear a MAGA hat, which is a questionable decision, on the evidence before us, what, exactly, did Mr Hodge do to deserve the vitriol and hate heading his way online?

The kid wasn't just standing in the way all innocently, he was staring him down, trying to intimidate the guy singing and beating the drum. There was no provocation. There is no editing that makes the kid look like a douche, he was being a douche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I didn't say anything about enjoying the videos. Enjoy the thread.
    Why not post them? instead of bringing absolutely nothing to the thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Pelvis wrote: »
    The kid wasn't just standing in the way all innocently, he was staring him down, trying to intimidate the guy singing and beating the drum. There was no provocation. There is no editing that makes the kid look like a douche, he was being a douche.

Right now being a republican gives you carte blanche to hate and harass liberals, women, people of the "wrong" color or religion, the less well off and most certainly American natives.
    With a president who is not interested in condemning any of those actions because he swept into power exactly because he exploited latent racism, xenophobia, sexism, basically hatred of anything that doesn't allign with middle to upper class, white America, you can feel free to harass and intimidate people on the street.

And I want to say that anyone supporting him is not unaware of Trump being an utter scumbag and they were not duped.
    They voted for him and support him precisely because of those qualities. Anyone supporting him is a despicable human being and I have never seen any posts by Trump supporters that weren't deeply ignorant and hateful.
    Their entire believe can be summarised with "sticking it to the libtards, hur hur".
    The attitude is "those damn liberals where getting a bit to brazen with their equal rights and opportunities for everyone, time to put them back in their box and show those queers, n*****s, womenfolk and snowflakes what for".
    It is my belief that this is a last hurrah for ignorance, hate and racism before maybe the world sees sense, but the knuckledraggers had to rear up on their hindlegs once more before fading into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭letsseehere14

Leroy42 wrote:
    So hold on. Is it really the position of some posters here that a miltary vet, simply walking through the park is to blame because a group of teenagers decided that they would stop him and intimate him?

For god sake I read this thread but have held off posting. It's a toxic thread of bias. Just shameful.
    This has nothing to do with Trump other than the hat the student wears.

Watch the full 1 hour plus video with an unbiased view to get the picture.

1. The students were told to meet in that location at that time for bus collection.
    2. They assembled on the steps where this incident occurred well before the native American walked towards them.
    3. They were a large group of teenage boys acting in a hyper fashion as happens with every large group of boys.
    4. They started doing their school chants and acting like children. As would every group of that demographic.
    5. The native American walked towards them while they were chanting, not up the steps which he could have taken before the group which he claims he was trying to do. He walked right into the group of kids and stopped in front of one wearing the maga hat. Picked him out specifically.
    6. The kid wearing the mega hat did not move or do anything just stood there. He didn't even smile of very long. Just stood there straight faced. The media picked the smiling but specifically. I think it was a nervous smile after watching the while clip.
    7. The kids all gathered around the guy drumming as would naturally happen but I didn't hear any derogatory terms.
    8. One of the other native Americans in amongst the group is recorded saying something like 'you're white. Go back to Europe. You don't belong here' to the students as the man has just begun drumming in the kids face.
    9. The video shows no evidence of the kids chanting 'build the wall'. That was just reported but no video evidence (And there is video of the whole event) shows this.
    10. News agencies picked the minute or two out video to show a clip out of context and misreported. Have not corrected the story with the emergence of the full video.
    11. People here are so biased that they refuse to view this as it happened. Many celebrities repeating their mistakes and jumping on the trial by Twitter band wagon again.
    12. Other protesters in the area called the kids "f*ggots" and called black students in the group the n word and questioned why they were with them.
    13. This became news solely because the student are conservative and were wearing the red hats.
    14. It is fake news. Clear as day.
    15. The man may be a veteran. Doesn't mean anything in this context and doesn't make the kids bad people.

By all means call out wrong doings where they occur but I am sick of this trial by social media where innocent people's lives can be ruined by misinformation. These kids have even been doxxed in the few hours between the report and the full video emerging. I even think the original statement from the school was before the full video emerged.

Pick your fights. Be on the right side but dont jump to conclusions until the full information is shown. It's going to come to a stage where news outlets and celebs will face lawsuits for defamation because of irresponsible reporting like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

evactly ...please share

• Advertisement

For god sake I read this thread but have held off posting. It's a toxic thread of bias. Just shameful.

So absolutely nothing to with Trump whatsoever. Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

1. The students were told to meet in that location at that time for bus collection.
    2. They assembled on the steps where this incident occurred well before the native American walked towards them.
    3. They were a large group of teenage boys acting in a hyper fashion as happens with every large group of boys.
    4. They started doing their school chants and acting like children. As would every group of that demographic.
    5. The native American walked towards them while they were chanting, not up the steps which he could have taken before the group which he claims he was trying to do. He walked right into the group of kids and stopped in front of one wearing the maga hat. Picked him out specifically.
    6. The kid wearing the mega hat did not move or do anything just stood there. He didn't even smile of very long. Just stood there straight faced. The media picked the smiling but specifically. I think it was a nervous smile after watching the while clip.
    7. The kids all gathered around the guy drumming as would naturally happen but I didn't hear any derogatory terms.
    8. One of the other native Americans in amongst the group is recorded saying something like 'you're white. Go back to Europe. You don't belong here' to the students as the man has just begun drumming in the kids face.
    9. The video shows no evidence of the kids chanting 'build the wall'. That was just reported but no video evidence (And there is video of the whole event) shows this.
    10. News agencies picked the minute or two out video to show a clip out of context and misreported. Have not corrected the story with the emergence of the full video.
    11. People here are so biased that they refuse to view this as it happened. Many celebrities repeating their mistakes and jumping on the trial by Twitter band wagon again.
    12. Other protesters in the area called the kids "f*ggots" and called black students in the group the n word and questioned why they were with them.
    13. This became news solely because the student are conservative and were wearing the red hats.
    15. The man may be a veteran. Doesn't mean anything in this context and doesn't make the kids bad people.

By all means call out wrong doings where they occur but I am sick of this trial by social media where innocent people's lives can be ruined by misinformation. These kids have even been doxxed in the few hours between the report and the full video emerging. I even think the original statement from the school was before the full video emerged.

Pick your fights. Be on the right side but dont jump to conclusions until the full information is shown. It's going to come to a stage where news outlets and celebs will face lawsuits for defamation because of irresponsible reporting like this.
    And who told them to meet in that location
    They were an organised group because I don't know personally of a group of 16yr old kids that organise and pay for transport to an anti abortion rally..

Never heard "build the wall" but according to that smug gits mother "black muslims" were at fault..

please don't embaress yourself and say this fake news when we can see MAGA in action

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Obviously Trump does inspire some awful people and has empowered them so its understandable how people have reacted the way they have. Its also echo chambers and people are addicted to rage and the above video is confirmation bias personified.

I've seen the full video and while the kids are not exactly angels, they could disperse and I'd understand even joining in with the drum been played would come across as been provocative.

I won't call Philips a liar yet as with stories like this more will come out, but right now, he looks like he is far from innocent. He went to provoke those kids and was backed up by supposed "preachers" who were dropping homophobic abuse at anyone who would listen especially the kids.

A lot more will come out I reckon, best to wait another few days before truly damning anyone. Although obviously most people have made up their mind one way or another on the back of **** all. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

elli21 wrote: »
    They were an organised group because I don't know personally of a group of 16yr old kids that organise and pay for transport to an anti abortion rally..

Never heard "build the wall" but according to that smug gits mother "black muslims" were at fault..

please don't embaress yourself and say this fake news when we can see MAGA in action

Very unusual for a school trip to be for a religious protest with MAGA gear.

elli21 wrote: »

Also that chant they were doing was with the intent of making a mockery of the native Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

At least they didn't do something truly offensive like kneel during the national anthem.

Very unusual for a school trip to be for a religious protest with MAGA gear.

I think it can be said without any shadow of a doubt that anyone wearing a MAGA hat is an asshole of the highest order.
    If you have any shred of decency you wouldn't wear that thing.

Pretty interesting twitter thread on the school. They even have females! But yeah, it seems like an odd school. He doesn't identify anyone but does some digging about the school.

https://twitter.com/arlenparsa/status/1086995509192073216?s=19

https://www.thedailybeast.com/native-american-activist-nathan-phillips-covington-catholic-students-harassed-black-protesters

Not good that from Philips, inventing easily provable lies. The black protesters were roaring homophobic and racist abuse at the kids, ffs this is a fact.

Maybe the journalist left that part out though by accident. :pac:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/native-american-activist-nathan-phillips-covington-catholic-students-harassed-black-protesters

Not good that from Philips, inventing easily provable lies. The black protesters were roaring homophobic and racist abuse at the kids, ffs this is a fact.

Maybe the journalist left that part out though by accident. :pac:

Was that part not way after the confrontation though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

The full two hour video. The confrontation begins around the 1 hour 9 minute mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Can't believe this is up for debate tbh.

The mind boggles

I know, people actually agreeing with adults squaring up to children because they wear a hat they don't like.

Harassing? is Philips serious? The preachers who were roaring abuse for an hour before they kids arrived and some of it at non white people?

I am flabbergasted that with the video footage out their which shows them yelling homophobic slurs at the kids, but somehow they are merely defending themselves and not in the wrong either?

That is shambolic journalism to say the least.

Harassing? is Philips serious? The preachers who were roaring abuse for an hour before they kids arrived and some of it at non white people?

I am flabbergasted that with the video footage out their which shows them yelling homophobic slurs at the kids, but somehow they are merely defending themselves and not in the wrong either?

That is shambolic journalism to say the least.

You appear to be grouping the black preachers and native Americans into one group. Were they there together? I'm still not clear on how a group of MAGA wearing youths just happened to turn up at a demonstration for natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

To be honest I watched that video and read the last few pages and it seems to me that it’s a bunch of d1ckhead kids being big lads in front of each other. The fact their wearing ridiculous hats just shows that they are as susceptible to the chants of a door to door vacuum salesmen as their dumb parents.

You appear to be grouping the black preachers and native Americans into one group. Were they there together? I'm still not clear on how a group of MAGA wearing youths just happened to turn up at a demonstration for natives.

They were waiting for a bus and singing school songs and then Philips decided to go and provoke them. The kids are insensitive dorks clearly, but their is much more to this than the initial outrage suggested.

He is lying about the black preachers which video shows. Their is also no proof of build the wall chants in the full video either, if their is I'd be glad to withdraw that accusation.

It doesn't matter as plenty of the left wing media is as biased as Fox so he won't get called out on it, but right now the initial outrage aimed at the kids seems overblown.

salmocab wrote: »
    To be honest I watched that video and read the last few pages and it seems to me that it’s a bunch of d1ckhead kids being big lads in front of each other. The fact their wearing ridiculous hats just shows that they are as susceptible to the chants of a door to door vacuum salesmen as their dumb parents.

The hat thing is weird. I mean yeah obviously yuck. However to play devils advocate they just came from a pro life march and Trump is a pro life (i know:pac:) president and I think he spoke their last year. Pence his VP spoke their the last few years also and his feelings on abortion are well known.:pac:

Why wouldn't you wear that hat to such a march?

The hat thing is weird. I mean yeah obviously yuck. However to play devils advocate they just came from a pro life march and Trump is a pro life (i know:pac:) president and I think he spoke their last year. Pence his VP spoke their the last few years also and his feelings on abortion are well known.:pac:

Why wouldn't you wear that hat to such a march?

My question would be why would you even own a hat supporting a political leader? It’s indoctrination like kids having jerseys or hats of their parents favorite teams.
    It’s all that’s wrong in a huge amount of American politics in one bit of headwear, people support the party first and country second (I don’t mean all but the core support for both parties don’t care what their guy is doing so long as he’s doing it in their name)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

salmocab wrote: »
    My question would be why would you even own a hat supporting a political leader? It’s indoctrination like kids having jerseys or hats of their parents favorite teams.
    It’s all that’s wrong in a huge amount of American politics in one bit of headwear, people support the party first and country second (I don’t mean all but the core support for both parties don’t care what their guy is doing so long as he’s doing it in their name)

But its just the US, you could say the same for any sports team hat, those pink hats at the womens march etc.. using a hat to express your tastes is just a bit of an american thing full stop.

• Advertisement

But its just the US, you could say the same for any sports team hat, those pink hats at the womens march etc.. using a hat to express your tastes is just a bit of an american thing full stop.

Thanks but that was kinda my point, it’s American politics where people support a side just like in sport and just like in sport they support them regardless of what they are doing. The base of both sides aren’t for changing and support no matter what. It a ridiculous way to pick your leaders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement