Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Is Roger stone Al Chapo? Who tipped off news media collusion:)

I would imagine the purpose of making a song and dance about it is either as a message to others being investigated, and/or to insure that everyone is aware of a significant arrest in the investigation so that the political process is supported by public awareness.

A dramatic arrest will stick in the mind a lot longer for both potential suspects and for the public at large a lot better than a message on the news ticker.

This isn't just an isolated investigation of an individual, but of an alleged criminal conspiracy, so there are more considerations than just the investigation, but also how it's perceived by those being investigated.

It's also not just a criminal investigation, but also a political process, so that will necessitate different tactics as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Yes, Donald, it's your immigration laws that have made USA the laughing stock of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And that's me out. He made the relevant point about the government reopening, the rest has been just ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I didn't hear any of the bits in the last three posts, (edit: earlier posts) just stuff about how amazing the American people are and how much the workers supported the shutdown. So what was the deal? Shutdown is off for three weeks but in exchange for what? And as for his powerful alternative, it will be a bit difficult to come back in three weeks and claim there is a state of emergency!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ah lads. He is totally incoherent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    This speech is an absolute shambles. What is he even on about?

I think the teleprompter is broken. He went into a loop a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think the teleprompter is broken. He went into a loop a few times.

He's the Ron burgundy of presidents. He will read whatever is put on the screen.

Threatening a national emergency now, if the Dems don't agree to a wall within 21 days. Did I get that right?

Ah lads. He is totally incoherent.

Like I said, broken teleprompter. Or maybe there was some rushed copy/pasting before submitting it to the prompter. Or maybe a software problem randomising phrases.

It's absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

"I believe that drugs will go down by a percentage that no-one would believe"

The man is an absolute clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Threatening a national emergency now, if the Dems don't agree to a wall within 21 days. Did I get that right?

Yeah, the narrative of "National emergency" will continue for some time. Why change a winning strategy, eh? Except that he seems to be the only one who still believes its winning.

When he says "Smart wall" I think he meant to say "smarter than me"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Come on. He's either a useful idiot or the world's best actor. What does it say about America that a rather large amount of people still support this shambling clown as the saviour of their nation?

Midlife wrote: »
    "I believe that drugs will go down by a percentage that no-one would believe"

The man is an absolute clown.

Hence the circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Yesterdays speech in the Situation Room about the "prorated downpayment" on the wall was pretty bad too.

Yesterdays speech in the Situation Room about the "prorated downpayment" on the wall was pretty bad too.

Yeah I think he suggested that grocery stores should "work something out" with people that couldn't afford groceries due to the shutdown. Today's speech was on another level, though.

Yeah I think he suggested that grocery stores should "work something out" with people that couldn't afford groceries due to the shutdown. Today's speech was on another level, though.

I look forward to seeing it. I wonder will we get a Twitter storm in the next 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Mitch speaking about the workers who did so without pay, about a revolution [maybe Don's turn-around]. Something tells me that he [Mitch] is hoping the Dems will reject whatever it is he's putting to the floor because his speech to the floor is not really conciliatory.. Looks like Chuck is giving a better speech. When the president signs the bill before him, the joint GOP/Dem working group will sit down and work out a deal.

At least he gets his State of the Union. Odds on him calling for an armed insurrection from his supporters?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats it, all over. First barney with a Dem congress and he folds like a cheap brasser getting a smack in the belly with a bat. All they have to do is take him to the cliff edge every time on every issue. They know and he knows it.

He has no quality left around him, no wise counsel anymore, no tiller men, no shock absorbers.

The Dems would be wise to anoint a 2020 candidate early, put a face on their efforts (that isn't Pelosi) and give them a long run-in. Mind you, the Republicans should be doing exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

This is the world's most delayed national emergency. He was complaining about the border before he got elected. He sent the army months ago (for a short holiday admittedly).

This is all bluster. 3 weeks will be enough to have a tiered retreat. Pretend not to give up now and in 3 weeks it won't feel like giving up anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He's slurring his words again.

Are we sure he's not actually ill (all joking aside)

Christy42 wrote: »
    This is the world's most delayed national emergency. He was complaining about the border before he got elected. He sent the army months ago (for a short holiday admittedly).

This is all bluster. 3 weeks will be enough to have a tiered retreat. Pretend not to give up now and in 3 weeks it won't feel like giving up anymore.

Pelosi has played this very well. His support has eroded to a point where declaring a national emergency will only turn up the heat even more on him. He doesn't have a clue how to deal with Pelosi and it's great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is a massive win for the Democrats surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

At least he gets his State of the Union. Odds on him calling for an armed insurrection from his supporters?

Has Nancy Pelosi issued a fresh invite to him to address both houses?

Mmm. It looks like his ramblings and defeat to Pelosi didn't go down too well for at least one alt-right cnut.

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1088883900808495104

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1088888030901882880?s=19

I guess he won't be listening to her show anymore....

Pelosi has played this very well. His support has eroded to a point where declaring a national emergency will only turn up the heat even more on him. He doesn't have a clue how to deal with Pelosi and it's great to watch.

Well, for the last two years it was the toady Paul Ryan in charge. He had the house covering for is inadequacy. Now he's dealing with someone who may not be very charismatic but is certainly very competent.

105628284-1544815906683preview-1.jpg

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats it, all over. First barney with a Dem congress and he folds like a cheap brasser getting a smack in the belly with a bat. All they have to do is take him to the cliff edge every time on every issue. They know and he knows it.

He has no quality left around him, no wise counsel anymore, no tiller men, no shock absorbers.

The Dems would be wise to anoint a 2020 candidate early, put a face on their efforts (that isn't Pelosi) and give them a long run-in. Mind you, the Republicans should be doing exactly the same.

Nah, I think they are right to have an open field now. See how things pan out with Mueller stuff a bit longer. See which candidates get the better responses.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Has Nancy Pelosi issued a fresh invite to him to address both houses?

She'll have to now. Otherwise she'll lose some of the ground she won in this battle.

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1088888030901882880?s=19

I guess he won't be listening to her show anymore....

He will. An he'll get madder and madder and throw a tantrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Gbear wrote: »
    I would imagine the purpose of making a song and dance about it is either as a message to others being investigated, and/or to insure that everyone is aware of a significant arrest in the investigation so that the political process is supported by public awareness.

A dramatic arrest will stick in the mind a lot longer for both potential suspects and for the public at large a lot better than a message on the news ticker.

This isn't just an isolated investigation of an individual, but of an alleged criminal conspiracy, so there are more considerations than just the investigation, but also how it's perceived by those being investigated.

It's also not just a criminal investigation, but also a political process, so that will necessitate different tactics as well.

I think this whole affair is nonsense. Roger Stone will be a free man soon. He has always been an enemy of the establishment because of his views about the deep state. He is a conspiracy guy who has views that I support.

Someone tipped off CNN and the FBI showed up in force, it was a PR exercise. Muller is desperate if he going after Roger Stone. There no evidence Stone worked for the Russians or took bribes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Well, for the last two years it was the toady Paul Ryan in charge. He had the house covering for is inadequacy. Now he's dealing with someone who may not be very charismatic but is certainly very competent.

105628284-1544815906683preview-1.jpg

"Nancy Pelosi, or as I like to call her... Nancy"
    Donald J. Trump

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement