Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaa watcher to Gaa player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

First appearance tonight. Got 40 mins at full forward. Delighted

Makes all the hard work worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Makes all the hard work worthwhile

Thanks, It shows me im getting somewhere i guess. Was delighted to get to close out the game when they were taking other guys off. Really enjoyed the physicality of it also. The only frustration i had was i knew i should be getting somewhere a few paces quicker but i guess that will come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Good man theemigrant!

Good to see from your point you've a had a few knock backs, saying you fell off the wagon for a while, getting injured etc, but you never gave up! And I reckon that's the main thing. Keep plugging away.
    Fitness and losing weight is no overnight trick, I find that consistency is key. I've gotten into a good gym routine now, training twice a week with sport and a game on the weekend and eating relatively healthily keeps the body in check. Agree on the fitness tracker also, aiming to get 10,000 steps a day is a nice target to have...not sure how overly beneficial it is but it does keep it in your brain to keep moving which is the main thing.

Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop!

Obrieski wrote: »
    Good man theemigrant!

Good to see from your point you've a had a few knock backs, saying you fell off the wagon for a while, getting injured etc, but you never gave up! And I reckon that's the main thing. Keep plugging away.
    Fitness and losing weight is no overnight trick, I find that consistency is key. I've gotten into a good gym routine now, training twice a week with sport and a game on the weekend and eating relatively healthily keeps the body in check. Agree on the fitness tracker also, aiming to get 10,000 steps a day is a nice target to have...not sure how overly beneficial it is but it does keep it in your brain to keep moving which is the main thing.

Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop!

Thanks Pal,

My whole thing at the moment is to get into as much of a calorie deficit as possible whilst maintaining a decent diet. Im enjoying the gym now whereas 5 weeks ago i was vomiting half way through. Well done on your routine. I agree that consistency is key.

Thanks Pal,

My whole thing at the moment is to get into as much of a calorie deficit as possible whilst maintaining a decent diet. Im enjoying the gym now whereas 5 weeks ago i was vomiting half way through. Well done on your routine. I agree that consistency is key.

How have you found the rest of the lads in your team?

I always found that the banter at the more junior levels of GAA was a lot better, where it wasn't as serious and you could actually enjoy training.
    I bet after a few trainings you weren't even that far behind based on some of the lads I've seen tog out at Junior over the years :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fair play OP. Some musical inspiration!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Thanks, It shows me im getting somewhere i guess. Was delighted to get to close out the game when they were taking other guys off. Really enjoyed the physicality of it also. The only frustration i had was i knew i should be getting somewhere a few paces quicker but i guess that will come in time.

Fair play, I went back playing at close to 30 after not playing since school, luckily for me the team struggled with numbers so I got plenty of game time since pretty much joining up.

I used the training sessions to get fitter and coupled that with running and cycling, never had the pace but learned that was more about reading the game better than being quick sometimes. Got a club county medal in the end, so was happy, before giving it up to concentrate on mountain biking.

Keep at it, you're definitely coming along seeing as you're lasting, it doesn't get easier, you just put up with it for longer and get a bit quicker!

How have you found the rest of the lads in your team?

I always found that the banter at the more junior levels of GAA was a lot better, where it wasn't as serious and you could actually enjoy training.
    I bet after a few trainings you weren't even that far behind based on some of the lads I've seen tog out at Junior over the years :D

They are all fairly supportive in fairness to them. They were going for pints after the match last week so i went in and had a heineken zero with them. Was good craic.

endacl wrote: »
    Fair play OP. Some musical inspiration!

I used to lord it at under 12 :p. I prefer the junior b allstar one :p .

1hr in the gym session yesterday morning and then 16km (50 mins) on the bike last night. Struggled on the bike after a few kms but then loosened out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

1hr in the gym session yesterday morning and then 16km (50 mins) on the bike last night. Struggled on the bike after a few kms but then loosened out again.

If I can offer advice for the bike it's to concentrate on your cadence (number of times you rotate the pedals), if you can keep your cadence at above 60 rpm and aim for a bit faster it'll help your cycling. The idea isn't to go fast, just always be in a gear that keeps you above the 60. A lot of people starting out grind away down the road doing a low cadence, not getting far, and not helping their fitness.

If you keep your cadence up you'll see you an go a gear or two higher and that'll get you further and faster.

Also, if you're getting stiff make sure your contact points on the bike are alright, hands, seat and pedals, if you know someone who cycles regularly ask them to check for you, saddle height in particular is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just caught this thread now. Brilliant stuff by you and fair play. I moved county 2 years ago and thought I'd give up the football when I left my home club. At 31 years old and nearly 16 stone I didnt fancy chasing young lads round not knowing anyone but I was welcomed with open arms by the team and management and it's been invaluable in helping me settle down. I'm lucky my club has 2 junior teams playing in B and D grade and in division 3 and 5 of the junior leagues. Nowhere near the fittest fella around but starting every game for the D team and finishing most games with the odd league appearance for the B team. Have got fitter and lost some weight and it's still a work in progress for me.

Well done on getting back at it. Best of luck with the fitness work.

rizzodun wrote: »
    If I can offer advice for the bike it's to concentrate on your cadence (number of times you rotate the pedals), if you can keep your cadence at above 60 rpm and aim for a bit faster it'll help your cycling. The idea isn't to go fast, just always be in a gear that keeps you above the 60. A lot of people starting out grind away down the road doing a low cadence, not getting far, and not helping their fitness.

If you keep your cadence up you'll see you an go a gear or two higher and that'll get you further and faster.

Also, if you're getting stiff make sure your contact points on the bike are alright, hands, seat and pedals, if you know someone who cycles regularly ask them to check for you, saddle height in particular is important.

I adjusted the saddle half way round and thats what led to it becoming easier. Im on my fathers old bike whos 2 inches smaller than me so you were spot on with the saddle height.

Very sore and tired this afternoon. Gaa training last night which was light enough but i just couldn't move on the rock hard ground. Very stiff this morning in the gym. The pt had a circuit towards the end of 30 seconds on bike, slams, ropes and bear crawls to be completed twice with a 30 second rest in between. Found it an absolute killer but got through it.

Down a further 1.7kg this morning when weighing in at the gym. That brought me under the 17 stone mark for the first time in a few years and a total of 1 stone 2 pounds gone since christmas. Had a fitness test in the gym that was extremely hard but will be good to measure improvements off of for next month.

Down a further 1.7kg this morning when weighing in at the gym. That brought me under the 17 stone mark for the first time in a few years and a total of 1 stone 2 pounds gone since christmas. Had a fitness test in the gym that was extremely hard but will be good to measure improvements off of for next month.

Fair play! Always nice to see the improvement on the scales but I bet your all round general health has improved greatly and I bet there is a noticeable difference in your body shape and how clothes fit on you which is the big acid test.

We lost the league semi final a few weeks ago so waiting for championship now. As the training is sporadic at best im doing my own bit in the Gym and signed up for a short adventure race in October for some motivation. Its hard to get to ma fitness level that ill be starting when not getting that much game time.

6 months into the new lifestyle theemigrant, how have you found it all?

Have you been pretty good overall training and diet wise?
    Noticing any body changes, health improvements etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We lost the league semi final a few weeks ago so waiting for championship now. As the training is sporadic at best im doing my own bit in the Gym and signed up for a short adventure race in October for some motivation. Its hard to get to ma fitness level that ill be starting when not getting that much game time.

Ive found these adventure races a great motivation tool.

Signed up for quest derg and will probably do quest killarney too.

Big money but did 2 last year and was in great shape for them. Wife had a kid then and I did nothing till may. Signed up for quest 2 weeks ago and loving having a plan.

I've no advice OP. Just enjoy feeling better. Don't overdo it. Little increases.

6 months into the new lifestyle theemigrant, how have you found it all?

Have you been pretty good overall training and diet wise?
    Noticing any body changes, health improvements etc?

Enjoying it, im going to step it up for the next 3 months now that ive signed up for this adventure race. Ive noticed clothes are far looser, the jersey i wore to kildare v mayo last yr is no longer welded to me when i wore it to the kildare v tyrone game last weekend. Im enjoying the football even if im not getting a game.

• Advertisement

Ive found these adventure races a great motivation tool.

Signed up for quest derg and will probably do quest killarney too.

Big money but did 2 last year and was in great shape for them. Wife had a kid then and I did nothing till may. Signed up for quest 2 weeks ago and loving having a plan.

I've no advice OP. Just enjoy feeling better. Don't overdo it. Little increases.

Thanks,
    Am planning on running 1km every day this week then up to 2km next week and so on. When i started 6 months ago i couldnt even run a km so happy enough with progress. I think the adventure race is going to be a big challenge for me but its something i want to do and if i have to walk parts i will.

Thanks,
    Am planning on running 1km every day this week then up to 2km next week and so on. When i started 6 months ago i couldnt even run a km so happy enough with progress. I think the adventure race is going to be a big challenge for me but its something i want to do and if i have to walk parts i will.

They're actually good craic. Did Tough Mudder a couple of years ago...it was about 14km (open to correction) of a course and we jogged the majority of it. Not as bad when you have all the obstacles and stuff to navigate so that breaks it up too. Good day out and the bit of training before hand certainly helped with the fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Thanks,

Sure people end up walking good chunks. Did the elite in quest achill and killarney. Everyone around me walked good chunks of the uphill on both.

I came in middle of the road on both.

The brother is big into running. He reckons a simple rule of thumb is to increase by ablut 10% a week.

I'd be more looking at 3 days a week. 1 longer than the other two.

So for your example. 3 x 2k week two. 2x2 and a 3, 2x2 and a 4, 2x2 and a 5, then 3,2,5 then 4, 2, 5...... (bit more than 10% though initially)

Your short mid week should be your hardest, really push for the 2k.

Try to get a cycle a week in and swing it for the kayak if that's the type adventure race you're at.

Championship first round tonight. Hoping to make an appearance at some stage of the game

Championship first round tonight. Hoping to make an appearance at some stage of the game

Well, how did it go?
    Did you get on ?

Well, how did it go?
    Did you get on ?

I wasn't impressed we got hockeyed and the selector didn't put me on until last 5 minutes. The game was well gone away from us at this stage. Our manager had played in goal as missing the goalie. Another game this tuesday but id say we will be out of the championship after that. Ill keep plugging at the fitness and give them no excuse not to start me next year

Went out of the championship last week so we are finished for the year. Got no game time last week. Going to concentrate on the training for the adventure race now and see how it goes with my overall fitness.

Just a quick update, was on holidays for a week all inclusive but didn't get heavier which was good. Loads of walking and swimming and staying off the beer seemed to offset the big meals. Back at the gym again now and want to give a big burst at it between now and the adventure race

Good Stuff ... keep it up !!!

• Advertisement

Got a new racing bike on the bike to work scheme, Did 25km yesterday with a mixture of hills and a strong headwind on the way home. Really enjoyed it

Advertisement