Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCambridge's Wholewheat brown bread

Options
  • 03-12-2018 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Is it my imagination or has this bread changed recently? For the last month or so, I've noticed that the consistency seems softer, more moist and more crumbly, which I don't like much. The flavour seems less "nutty".The slices are still quite thin but seem to be "taller".
    I happen to have an old wrapper from last August and the ingredient list is identical as is the 500g weight.
    I can only conclude that the bread is less well baked. A shopkeeper told me some years ago that the most expensive ingredient in bread-making was the energy used in baking.
    Any views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

I've noticed the same. Such a pity as it used to be lovely. It breaks so easily, especially around the top crust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't bought it in ages, it just wasn't as nice last time. Such a pity too because it used to be lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bought it a while back and it was mank. Doughy and bland.

Going to try find a good recipe because I like good sturdy proper brown bread, and can't find a decent one in the stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sean's Brown Bread in SuperValu is damn fine bread imo. Doesn't come pre-sliced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Back in the 1970's I worked in McCambridge's Delicatessen, as it then was, in Ranelagh.

The baker used to come in at 4 a.m. to mix the bread: the recipes were kept locked up in the safe!

Their iconic "brown square" was a best seller and became the commercial product we know as McCambridges bread.

It wasn't soft or mushy, didn't have a "flying crust", and had a warm, wheaty, nutty flavour.

Maybe the safe got burgled and the recipe disappeared!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Back in the 1970's I worked in McCambridge's Delicatessen, as it then was, in Ranelagh.

The baker used to come in at 4 a.m. to mix the bread: the recipes were kept locked up in the safe!

Their iconic "brown square" was a best seller and became the commercial product we know as McCambridges bread.

It wasn't soft or mushy, didn't have a "flying crust", and had a warm, wheaty, nutty flavour.

Maybe the safe got burgled and the recipe disappeared!

More than likely they have replaced ingredients with cheaper options. The last one I purchased a few months ago was a shadow of what I remembered. It's a shame I used to buy it for my lazy Saturday or Sunday morning fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Sean's Brown Bread in SuperValu is damn fine bread imo. Doesn't come pre-sliced though.
    Must try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Lissavane wrote: »
    Must try that.

Really like this one. Actually started baking my own as a challenge - "I bet I can bake bread just as nice" and then it actually turned out great so I did it. Use the bord bia recipe - https://www.bordbia.ie/consumer/recipes/desserts/pages/traditionalbrownsodabread.aspx

It depends if you're arsed or not but it's really no hassle to make it and I recently got the best compliment from my OH about it - that it was better than his granny's! I use odlums coarse wholemeal and I don't bother with the toppings but there's definitely scope to vary it if you wanted. Others I've shared the recipe with have never got it as nice as mine but I'm not sure what to attribute it to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Lissavane wrote: »
    Is it my imagination or has this bread changed recently? For the last month or so, I've noticed that the consistency seems softer, more moist and more crumbly, which I don't like much. The flavour seems less "nutty".The slices are still quite thin but seem to be "taller".
    I happen to have an old wrapper from last August and the ingredient list is identical as is the 500g weight.
    I can only conclude that the bread is less well baked. A shopkeeper told me some years ago that the most expensive ingredient in bread-making was the energy used in baking.
    Any views?

They do a gluten free version now. Any chance you picked up the wrong one ?

Advertisement