Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotW - Old Hungers

• 03-12-2018 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

Darren looked out the motel window

TX2xkh.jpg

His contact had told him there'd been a mass suicide of some kind here in Augusta, at the local diner. Or that's what the papers were saying anyway. The details however struck Darren as suspiciously like the incident all those years ago. His contact was a member of some group that hunts these kind of things, the Saviours. Beyond the group's name he had kept all other details hush hush, but everybody who had pointed Darren in their direction said the Saviours tend to get these things solved. Not always in the cleanest way, but solved nonetheless.

He casts his eye across the courtyard, above the cheap pool that looked like it hadn't been used in years, the two others were sitting there now, checking their weapons and equipment. Two "Active Saviour Operatives" the email had said. Looked like nutters to Darren.

And the names, Cron Minus and Bubby Beelze, could have been from one of those old late night B-movies he'd done for a paycheck a few years back.

The Bubby guy had a strange looking book with him, as big as a suitcase. He couldn't help wonder what it was.

Cron and Bubby's room:
    The book was a grade-A artifact, taken from one of the oldest Saviour archives. It was rumbling now, as per instructions Bubby knew he just had to let the book out into the light so that "Nathaniel" could re-enter the physical world. He was told this Nathaniel would have skills they needed.

Cron Minus didn't need anything that fancy, just the Sword of T'laxca, he'd slain more than his share of demons with her. Whatever was here could only manage to kill innocents in a diner, he'd have it dead before breakfast tomorrow morning.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cron stretches and surveys his surroundings, looking over at Bubby.

'Let's tag and bag this critter, easy peasy. I've an appetite to work up. What's the book about? I travel light, easy peasy.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

The light of the moon passes over the book.

OOC: Nathaniel can appear when you want Evade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

*Shoomp* a dim flash of light spreads through out the room and a man in old fashioned clothes stands with his back to the other two "... Ha ha, that's a fine step towards the restoration of the Empire. Oh, it has altered once again. I cannot say I care for the decor." Nathaniel slowly turns taking in his new surroundings and upon noticing the others in the room nervously asks "Sind Sie Deutscher?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Opening the door to his room, Darren declares
    "O, my offence is rank it smells to heaven;
    It hath the primal eldest curse upon't,
    A brother's murder. Pray can I not,
    Though inclination be as sharp as will:
    My stronger guilt defeats my strong intent;
    And, like a man to double business bound,
    I stand in pause where I shall first begin,
    And both neglect. What if this cursed hand
    Were thicker than itself with brother's blood,
    Is there not rain enough in the sweet heavens
    To wash it white as snow?"
    Without pausing for the inevitable applause, he strides towards the pool, arm outstretched.
    "You must be Cron!" He bellows, going in for a firm shake. "Darren Dedicoat. Yes, *that* Darren Dedicoat. Breathe it in. So, you boys out for a late night dip, or something a little more..... Interesting?

Wait - don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to pick you up - I mean I'm not saying I couldn't, you are so far below my league it's not even funny, if I were gay you'd be like syrup on the Darren pancake. Anyway, I meant, you know, hunting. The exotic kind. No, that still sounds like dogging. Maybe we should just go to my car and break this tension the old fashioned way...."

Evade wrote: »
    *Shoomp* a dim flash of light spreads through out the room and a man in old fashioned clothes stands with his back to the other two "... Ha ha, that's a fine step towards the restoration of the Empire. Oh, it has altered once again. I cannot say I care for the decor." Nathaniel slowly turns taking in his new surroundings and upon noticing the others in the room nervously asks "Sind Sie Deutscher?"

'Me speak-a zee English, bud - what brings you clumping and whooshing around?'
    Banjo wrote: »
    Opening the door to his room, Darren declares
    "O, my offence is rank it smells to heaven;
    It hath the primal eldest curse upon't,
    A brother's murder. Pray can I not,
    Though inclination be as sharp as will:
    My stronger guilt defeats my strong intent;
    And, like a man to double business bound,
    I stand in pause where I shall first begin,
    And both neglect. What if this cursed hand
    Were thicker than itself with brother's blood,
    Is there not rain enough in the sweet heavens
    To wash it white as snow?"
    Without pausing for the inevitable applause, he strides towards the pool, arm outstretched.
    "You must be Cron!" He bellows, going in for a firm shake. "Darren Dedicoat. Yes, *that* Darren Dedicoat. Breathe it in. So, you boys out for a late night dip, or something a little more..... Interesting?

Wait - don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to pick you up - I mean I'm not saying I couldn't, you are so far below my league it's not even funny, if I were gay you'd be like syrup on the Darren pancake. Anyway, I meant, you know, hunting. The exotic kind. No, that still sounds like dogging. Maybe we should just go to my car and break this tension the old fashioned way...."

Cron turns and rolls his eyes out of Darren's eyeline before putting on his best fake smile and shaking hands with Darren.

'Oh yes, of course I've heard of you Mr. Dedicoat - you here to chop some heads off, slice and dice? Easy peasy!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Bubby responds to Nathaniel. "Guten Tag, Fremder, vielleicht sollten wir es mit der Muttersprache versuchen ... Kennen Sie Englisch?"

Assuming the man, and his wisdom will be able to follow along with the conversation.

"We were told you could bring useful skills in the hunt for all that is unearthly?" he asks the old man.

Bubby lifts the book up and down, which oddly enough now seems a tad lighter.

Necro wrote: »
    'Me speak-a zee English, bud - what brings you clumping and whooshing around?'
    "Ah, most good. Dreadful people the Hun more often than not when I reincorporate they seem to be in the throws of attempted world domination. The mechanisms of my reincorporation and subsequent noncorporation remain a mystery to me, but it does have some interesting benefits... By your accent I judge you are from the colonies? Is that where we are now?"

Bubby responds to Nathaniel. "Guten Tag, Fremder, vielleicht sollten wir es mit der Muttersprache versuchen ... Kennen Sie Englisch?"

Assuming the man, and his wisdom will be able to follow along with the conversation.

"We were told you could bring useful skills in the hunt for all that is unearthly?" he asks the old man.

Bubby lifts the book up and down, which oddly enough now seems a tad lighter.
    Nathaniel, visibly nervous, "That would perhaps be best" he looks around for an exit in case this is some sort of nefarious trap "I have been known to know of the unknown, though I know not how."

"Ah, most good. Dreadful people the Hun more often than not when I reincorporate they seem to be in the throws of attempted world domination. The mechanisms of my reincorporation and subsequent noncorporation remain a mystery to me, but it does have some interesting benefits... By your accent I judge you are from the colonies? Is that where we are now?"

"This colony has gotten a bit out of hands, perhaps, since last time you had heard of it. Previously part of the British empire on the North-West hemisphere.

This being something of a far distant past, 100's of years ago in fact. Got quite some catching up to do, but this, I fear... is for another day."

Bubby turns to Cron and whispers "Lets hope this book was not Pandora's box...".

"This colony has gotten a bit out of hands, perhaps, since last time you had heard of it. Previously part of the British empire on the North-West hemisphere.

This being something of a far distant past, 100's of years ago in fact. Got quite some catching up to do, but this, I fear... is for another day."

"The Americas? When last I reincorporated I had high hopes the First Lady of the Treasury was on a path to restore the empire, that has not come to pass I take it?" Nathaniel looks a little disappointed "Where are my manners. Nathaniel Winston Gladstone III, man about town, London town that is." He offers a handshake.

• Advertisement

"The Americas? When last I reincorporated I had high hopes the First Lady of the Treasury was on a path to restore the empire, that has not come to pass I take it?" Nathaniel looks a little disappointed "Where are my manners. Nathaniel Winston Gladstone III, man about town, London town that is." He offers a handshake.

Bubby extends his hand and introduces himself to Nathaniel "The name is Bubby Beelze, but you can call me Bub.."

"Say, this book in my ownership... do you often find yourself popping in and out of it... and any chance you can share some of the books secrets with me... Seems reasonable, right? BUB?".

He looks at Nathaniel expectantly.

The motel owner comes up and knocks on Cron and Bubby's door. He gives Nathaniel an awkward glance, before handing Bubby tomorrow's local newspaper.

"Your friend who booked payed extra for me to get this to you from the printers. Even the town folk won't see it till the morning"

OOC: Contains the 'Killing at the Diner' story. Nebel you get to describe the killing. At least four victims, at least one eviscerated. Diner is 50s style with jukebox.

'Colonies....?? This is America, bud - we ain't no colony! The land of Hershey's kisses and orange Presidents.'

Cron leans against the wall. 'Cron Minus is muh name though. Easy Peasy. How do y'all do?'

Bubby extends his hand and introduces himself to Nathaniel "The name is Bubby Beelze, but you can call me Bub.."

"Say, this book in my ownership... do you often find yourself popping in and out of it... and any chance you can share some of the books secrets with me... Seems reasonable, right? BUB?".

He looks at Nathaniel expectantly.
    "A book this time... Alas, I know nothing of the secrets contained within. If it is penned in Latin or Greek, or of course English, I could perhaps glean something useful from reading it."

Cron turns and rolls his eyes out of Darren's eyeline before putting on his best fake smile and shaking hands with Darren.

'Oh yes, of course I've heard of you Mr. Dedicoat - you here to chop some heads off, slice and dice? Easy peasy!'

"Indeed! You must forgive me bursting in like I own the place, but there's a very real chance that I do - I was awfully good at poker before the internet screwed it up for everyone, and there was this one time in the 90s I took Randy Mueller to the cleaners.... Guy owned half the western seaboard, or did before I introduced him to come and the Dedicoat Dead Eye Shuffle. Easy - as you might say.... Peasy."

He eyes the headline over a few shoulders and goes silent, his hard scowl pushing the colour from his lips.

He eyes the headline over a few shoulders and goes silent, his hard scowl pushing the colour from his lips.
    Darren notices a second incident, not a murder, but an attack in the woods. Victim seems to be hospitalised.

OOC: Banjo, age and gender of victim

Fourier wrote: »
    Darren notices a second incident, not a murder, but an attack in the woods. Victim seems to be hospitalised.

OOC: Banjo, age and gender of victim

35 year old man.

As he reads further Darren sees the man and his dog were attacked while on a hunting trip in the woods. Something seems to have nearly bitten off the lower leg.

'Colonies....?? This is America, bud - we ain't no colony! The land of Hershey's kisses and orange Presidents.'

Cron leans against the wall. 'Cron Minus is muh name though. Easy Peasy. How do y'all do?'
    "Indeed, the Col... Americas were independent even before I was born but I had always thought they would return to the fold one day. How long has it been since independence?"

Bubby grabs the newspaper, out of the hands of the motel owner.

He quickly jumps through the article which described the heinous act, which brought the part together in this hole of a town.

He asks the motel owner, before hurrying him along "Uh, what time...? What time?! What time will the newspapers start doing their rounds?!"

Bubby reads a few paragraphs out loud.

"Locals found the scene of the crime, with the jukebox intact and still playing 'I only have eyes for you, by the flamingos'.

"Amongst the victims were Tom and Charlene Petty, who were distinguishable through their personal belongings found underneath the dining table. The remainder victims were not identified, though preliminary analysis indicates 'a young adult male, 2 young adult females and what looks to be an approximate number of 6 victims of older age'.

"At the scene of the crime, body parts were found scattered through the diner, seemingly surgically removed and placed with intent, across the entire crimescene, though the exact intent at this point is unknown".

"They found 6 torso's, belonging to both male and female victims, completely eviscerated and emptied out. No organs were found nearby any of the bodies, though local police has found indications all organs were either flushed or directly placed into the sewage."

"Local authorities have stated there seems to have been a significant explosion or burst of heat, at the time of the incident, as most things flammable have been scorched away. When police arrived at the scene however, there was no fire nor smolder."

"The oddest thing of this horror, is yet to be explained; though most likely will be the result of lacking maternal care. All victims heads had their eyes removed, with the eyes (according to local witnesses) having scattered around the building, along with trails of salt."

"The work of a crazed lunatic? The work of a cult on the rise? Whatever it is, it needs to move out of this town fast and allow the folk of this town to mourn and recover from the horrors that took place last night."

Bubby gasps at some of the detail, while none of this seems particularly more disturbing than what he has witnessed before, for all of this to be happening in the same spot seems odd.

"This may be more than a quick in and out" He says as he taps Cron on his shoulder.

Bub slides back, cradling his book and biting his bottom lip. He squeezes his eyes tightly closed as a tear rolls down his eyes. He cradles, back and forth.

OOC: edit - forgot song

• Advertisement

As he reads further Darren sees the man and his dog were attacked while on a hunting trip in the woods. Something seems to have nearly bitten off the lower leg.

"Ruddy Nora!" Darren cries. "Who goes hunting with all these menstruating liberals on the loose!"

He asks the motel owner, before hurrying him along "Uh, what time...? What time?! What time will the newspapers start doing their rounds?!"
    "They get young fellers from the local high school to deliver 'em. Round nine in the am, or so I reckon...you alright there stranger?" he says noticing Bubby's rocking.

"Indeed, the Col... Americas were independent even before I was born but I had always thought they would return to the fold one day. How long has it been since independence?"
    The motel owner looks away from Bubby for a second.

"Independence? That was over 300 years ago. I thought you English fellers were edjicated!"

"Were it not for the men it would seem John Williams was indulging old vices."
    The motel owner looks away from Bubby for a second.

"Independence? That was over 300 years ago. I though you English fellers were edjicated!"
    "A century, at least, since I last reincorporated."

The group hear police sirens coming from the distance, which then whizz past the motel.

"They get young fellers from the local high school to deliver 'em. Round nine in the am, or so I reckon...you alright there stranger?" he says noticing Bubby's rocking.

"Dont pay too much notice to me. These recent events have me perplexed, the how, the what, the wh..." Bubby notices the Motel owner still looking at him and freezes for a second.

Bubby clenches his fist, again biting on his lip. He rocks a few more times forward and jumps up.

"Anyway, things are not right... in this town..."

He looks at the motel owner unexpectedly and asks "Any other strange events that have taken place in this town as of late? lets say, the past 3 months?".

He looks at the Motel owner more intently now, almost as if trying to read his mind.

The group hear police sirens coming from the distance, which then whizz past the motel.

"They're playing our song! Hmmm, I'm a tad underdressed for dinner and dancing..."
    He hoists the belt of his horizon blue stay-crease action slacks and exits at speed, returning a short time later with a large fire axe that he fondles fondly.

"Indeed! You must forgive me bursting in like I own the place, but there's a very real chance that I do - I was awfully good at poker before the internet screwed it up for everyone, and there was this one time in the 90s I took Randy Mueller to the cleaners.... Guy owned half the western seaboard, or did before I introduced him to come and the Dedicoat Dead Eye Shuffle. Easy - as you might say.... Peasy."

Cron relaxes a bit around Dedicoat. Despite his brash manner, there seems to be a decent person there somewhere.

'Ayuh, easy peasy I guess. Never was one for Poker muhself. Blackjack was muh game. Or Roulette. I like to take chances.'

Cron turns and wanders out on to the street to see what direction the sirens are headed.

Cron turns and wanders out on to the street to see what direction the sirens are headed.
    OOC: Do you have a map of the town on you?

• Advertisement

Fourier wrote:
    OOC: Do you have a map of the town on you?

OOC: Likely not. I travel light as you said :)

Advertisement