Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MotW - Old Hungers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

"An automobile, I do enjoy these contraptions." Nathaniel follows Bubby over to the car checking his Kerr revolver as he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OOC: Banjo describe the journey through the town and out into the woods on the other side to the museum. Only constraint is town hall and diner are in the center of town and the museum is a half mile into woods slightly up a mountain near an old mine.

OOC: Evade, Necro and Nebel give brief details of a previous supernatural encounter while your characters think/reminisce on the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

"There is only one thing, I have ever encountered, which could leave this much destruction in its path, cause this much horror and hunger for more...".

Bubby strikes paler, as if his soul has been struck from his body. He exhales deeply and explains his recollection of events transpired years before he had met his current companions.

"The Graeae... I faced the unholy offspring off one, years ago. Following its broodmothers trial of destructions, through small towns, decimating entire towns and its inhabitants."

Bubby starts mumbling to himself.

"The signs, they're all there... objects in multi-state, inexplicable rituals, mutilations, focus... the eyes... the gore... Oh the gore... The guts, something with the guts...".

He looks to the group again "The Graeae are able to quickly integrate into town populous, that with the foul magic they bestow, quickly rids towns of all life...".

He gaps...

"I heard rumors of expanding covens, but I thought this no longer possible... not in this day and age... surely it cant be...".

Bubby shakes his head and laughs.

"What am I thinking?! Its probably nothing guys, dont worry about it, forget I said anything... in fact, I dont even know what we were talking about anymore...".

Bubby puts his head down and cradles with the book in the surely tight confines of the automobile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cron looks out the window and his mind begins to wander...

Auburn, Alabama, 6 months ago...

A country boy at heart, Cron always knew there was something... different about him. Shadows seemed to follow him everywhere, dancing and weaving in the street lights as he went about his business.
    Daytime never really interested Cron, he was always wondering did things really go bump in the night. On this particular occasion, he had heard tell of a strange man who seemingly feasted on human blood.

Cron had tracked the man only known as 'El Chuca' down to Auburn, and tonight he would meet this supposed creature and kill him or dispel the myth about him - easy peasy.

As he continued on the trail, the street lights began to flicker in an unnatural way. One by one along the way he had taken, they began to go out.

Cron smiled and drew his sword, he was ready for El Chuca - or so he thought.

The moment the final light went out Cron was slammed into by a monstrous shadow. His sword skittered across the street and he was sent spinning into the side of a parked car. He turned slightly just as a claw was about to skew his head from his body...

The only thing that saved him was the car alarm. It began it's honking and wailing noise and the shadow shrieked and roared and backed off, trying to slink away from the noises.

Cron, ignoring the pain in his side and head clambered to his feet and, taking off at a run - only stopping to collect his sword - swiftly raced after the fleeing shadow.

He leaped into the air, bringing his sword down with a yell at the beast - cleaving the shadow in two....

And it vanished.

*Faint Clapping*

Cron looked around as the lights began to come back up. He got a glimpse of a man on the rooftop of a building nearby. The clapping ceased and the man regarded Cron with a terrifying stare.... his eyes were like pools of darkness... Cron felt himself drowning in those pools.

He awoke the next morning, two pin prick like marks on his neck. El Chuca had left his calling card - but left Cron alive... for now.

Back to present

'I wonder if this is El Chuca again? Easy peasy.'

Cron murmurs to himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

As Nathaniel checks his revolver he once again notices the distinct tooth shaped depressions along the barrel. "I do hope these deaths don't draw ghouls. Nasty creatures. I had the misfortune of having to dispatch a pack that moved into the ruins of London during the robot attacks..." *Shoomp* a dim flash of light and Nathaniel is gone.

OOC: I'll be around very inconsistently so Nathaniel will be shoomping in and out of reality on the days I'm around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

[ii]ooc : sorry, life got in the way[/I]
    Fourier wrote: »
    OOC: Banjo describe the journey through the town and out into the woods on the other side to the museum. Only constraint is town hall and diner are in the center of town and the museum is a half mile into woods slightly up a mountain near an old mine.

The Dodge takes off like a geriatric rocket, the force of 85 wild horses pushing the passengers deep into the cashmere-coloured embrace of the bucket seats. Darren savours the deep throaty pocketapocketa of all 4 cylinders firing like an angry teenager in a clock tower as they peel out of the carpark and into downtown Augusta. He fights the reflex to start his "car that saved America" speech - none of these guys were solid 7s in peephole bras, what would be the point?

They cross the rail tracks and head down Dinkley, right through the middle of town. Even this late there's a surprising crowd around the diner - reporters, forensics, meat wagon, beat cops taking statements, civilians trying to make sense of the crazy. A tired looking waitress does the rounds with a tar-black coffee jug, the horror around her unable to scratch though the mundane comfort of following programmed routines.

The sight of the coffee reminds him how tired he is. He doesn't sleep much, not any more. These cobwebs need blowing away, and a jaunt like this needs a kick ass soundtrack, something that says 'we mean business, and our business is the business of getting up in your business. And business is good. Ours, that is, not yours, which we're up in as we speak.' Something timelessly classic but edgy, like an anxious cliff.

Extra slice!

They make a right onto Rogers Lane, passing a cinema advertising 5 different superhero movies - he remembers a better time, when films could also be about other things than superheroes and as long as you didn't show a penis attached to a body, it was anything goes. Nowadays all the penises were CGI anyway, and that Downey prick still owed him $50 and a vase from that time he let him hide out from the cops in his loft. Look at them both now. Fate was a cruel bi- ****! This is our turn!

They follow Blake Avenue out of town, the trees that looked so picturesque from a distance now closing in and loitering menacingly right on the edge of the road, like a threatened street gang fronting up. 'Theres something in those Woods' he muses to his Axe-cosy, 'something that uh .... That bites legs. Maybe Leo is researching another role? The temper on that boy...'

Such musings are cut short. Through the trees, the blue beacons and wigwags of more police cars glimmer - are these the same ones they were following? Are they attending the mauled hunter or someone else? Is this definitely the road to the museum? Because it feels like they should have arrived by now. And why was no one talking? They were all just staring out the windows like they'd never seen trees before. Darren had seen trees before. Plenty of trees. Leafy ones. Not so leafy ones. The ones that kind of have leaves all the time but they aren't really leaves at all, just soft knobbly green barky really. Maybe he could do a documentary about just who the bloody hell those fakers think they are calling themselves trees? Trees grow fruit! No one wants pine cone jam. That sounds like a disease. Oh we're here!

He pulls diagonally into 2 parking spaces outside the museum and charmingly reminds his passengers to tip their driver.

Bubby puts his head down and cradles with the book in the surely tight confines of the automobile.

OOC : I'm sorry, I can't let this go. Bubby is sitting in the back of a 1981 Dodge Aries-K SE coupé - not the basic model with it's squeaky vinyl bench, the SE with 2 cloth covered bucket seats. You can comfortably fit 3 across in the back of this bad boy, with only 2 in the back it's a god damned luxury.

The museum is currently shut to nobody's surprise. The gang however can see dim lights from inside the building...looking closer they are candle lights.

Something quickly darts past the model of a mammoth outside, too quick to see exactly but the size of a man roughly.

M7GRQR.jpg

• Advertisement

The museum is currently shut to nobody's surprise. The gang however can see dim lights from inside the building...looking closer they are candle lights.

Something quickly darts past the model of a mammoth outside, too quick to see exactly but the size of a man roughly.

Cron gets out of the car, draws his sword and approaches the model.

'Who goes there? Come out and show yourself - Easy peasy now!'

Necro wrote: »
    Cron gets out of the car, draws his sword and approaches the model.

'Who goes there? Come out and show yourself - Easy peasy now!'
    There's no response. Cron hears a quickly silenced scream from within the museum.

There's no response. Cron hears a quickly silenced scream from within the museum.

Cron calls to the others.

'I'm going inside if I can. Did any of you hear the scream?'

He makes his way to the entrance, muttering to himself.

'Come on then El Chuca - show yourself... yeah. Easy peasy.'

Cron tries the door, it's closed via a magnetic lock.

Something holding a candle moves inside in response to his approach. It quickly exits the central lobby and within a second or two Cron cannot see it.

Cron tries the door, it's closed via a magnetic lock.

Something holding a candle moves inside in response to his approach. It quickly exits the central lobby and within a second or two Cron cannot see it.

Cron, never being one for the stealthy approach, raps on the door loudly.

'Come on now, open up. Cron ain't here to hurt you... unless you hurt someone already. Eas... ugh I need to stop sayin' that.'

Cron neither sees nor hears any response.

• Advertisement

Bubby scurries along and follows Cron to the door.

"Best check this out with haste, before whatever or whoever is in there has a chance to escape..."

Bubby looks around for wiring, to see if he can cut the power-feed to the door. "Slim chance of this happening, they probably got this locked tight" he thinks to himself.

Bubby looks around to see if there are any obvious entry points to the building.

Cron nods at Bubby.

'Good idea. If you can get that door open well and good. Ol' Cron is off to scout another way in. Easy...peasy.'

Cron heads left, checking for any sign of an open window or other point of entry.

Darren locks the car, grabs his axe and goes to check around the Mammoths legs.

Bubby looks around for wiring, to see if he can cut the power-feed to the door. "Slim chance of this happening, they probably got this locked tight" he thinks to himself.

Bubby looks around to see if there are any obvious entry points to the building.
    Necro wrote:
    Cron nods at Bubby.

'Good idea. If you can get that door open well and good. Ol' Cron is off to scout another way in. Easy...peasy.'

Cron heads left, checking for any sign of an open window or other point of entry.
    Bubby has a look at the lock, before realising it's nothing compared to what he'd had to hack and break while persuing the Graeae and opens the door after half a minute. Their is complete silence in the entrance hall. A display area lies to the left and some stairs lie to the right.

Cron finds an open window one floor up at the back of the building. Two candles visible within.

Banjo wrote: »
    Darren locks the car, grabs his axe and goes to check around the Mammoths legs.
    OOC: Roll +Sharp and pick two (10+) or one (7-9) of these questions:
    What happened here?
    What sort of creature is it?
    What can it do?
    What can hurt it?
    Where did it go?
    What was it going to do?
    What is being concealed here?

• Advertisement

Cron finds an open window one floor up at the back of the building. Two candles visible within.

Cron looks for a way to climb up to the open window.

OOC: Roll +Sharp and pick two (10+) or one (7-9) of these questions:

Uh... Rolled double 1 and have -1 sharp so....uh....yeah.

Cron looks for a way to climb up to the open window.
    Cron quickly notices that there is enough footing in the brick on the back wall to make his way up should he want to. Getting up without whatever is inside noticing will be tougher.

Uh... Rolled double 1 and have -1 sharp so....uh....yeah.
    While walking around the Mammoth Darren notices nothing in particular to catch his attention until he feels a slight pain in his foot. He looks down to see nothing obvious that would cause it.

Cron quickly notices that there is enough footing in the brick on the back wall to make his way up should he want to. Getting up without whatever is inside noticing will be tougher.

Cron attempts the climb slowly and surely.

Easy peasy, almost.

Bubby signs to the crew, the door is open.

He walks past the doorway, noticing a display area on his left. Being curious in nature and easily distracted, he forgets for a moment they were chasing figures and shadows into the building, he walks to the display area and checks it out.

Cron attempts the climb slowly and surely.

Easy peasy, almost.
    OOC: +Cool roll

While walking around the Mammoth Darren notices nothing in particular to catch his attention until he feels a slight pain in his foot. He looks down to see nothing obvious that would cause it.

"Is! My athletes toe is acting up. Of all the Ruddy times! Walk it off, Dazza, walk it off"

He admires the towering pillars of hair and muscle fondly, his mind drifting momentarily towards memories of that Bulgarian weather girl and a weekend well spent with a similar view to this, then he hobbles over towards the door.

Bubby signs to the crew, the door is open.

He walks past the doorway, noticing a display area on his left. Being curious in nature and easily distracted, he forgets for a moment they were chasing figures and shadows into the building, he walks to the display area and checks it out.
    Within lies an exhibit on extinct megafauna of the local area.

W36ZTX.jpg

Across the room from him Bubby sees a female figure wearing a mask and a brown cloak that doesn't completely close over the front. Beneath the cloak they are wearing nothing and have a gaunt emaciated appearance to their stomach and hips.

They make no move toward him, staring straight at him.

OOC: +Cool roll
    Cron slips at the last moment and falls in the window with a loud bang, stunning himself, he struggles to get up from the minor concussion...

OOC: Necro you have fallen in on:
    (a) A sacrifice taking place, with a obvious spot marked for a yet to be procured but now conveniently delivered second victim
    (b) A supernatural beast
    (c) A trap/ambush of some kind

Your choice

• Advertisement

Cron slips at the last moment and falls in the window with a loud bang, stunning himself, he struggles to get up from the minor concussion...

OOC: Necro you have fallen in on:
    (a) A sacrifice taking place, with a obvious spot marked for a yet to be procured but now conveniently delivered second victim
    (b) A supernatural beast
    (c) A trap/ambush of some kind

Your choice

OOC: You know I really shouldn't but I'm gonna go with column A :pac:

Across the room from him Bubby sees a female figure wearing a mask and a brown cloak that doesn't completely close over the front. Beneath the cloak they are wearing nothing and have a gaunt emaciated appearance to their stomach and hips.

Darren arrives behind Bubby.
    "Now this is my kind of party" he mutters, undoing the top button of his canary yellow shirt.

Cron is suddenly grabbed by two tall men wearing masks and a strange black sash across their wates. On their bodies are tattooed figures either bone thin or pleading for food.

He is brought into the dinosaur display room and tied to one side of a T-Rex skull. On the other side is a middle aged man, foot mangled in some way and his throat slit open into a bowl of meats and fruit.

One of his capures then punches him in the stomach and calls to the other.

"Get the Gudja now, we have another"

The other one then heads downstairs, while the one who punched him stand guard.

Within lies an exhibit on extinct megafauna of the local area.

W36ZTX.jpg

At the sight of the female figure, Bubby does not cower, but feels a great dread befall him.

For a moment he gets lost in the stare, now reciprocated by Bubby. Before seconds pass, Bubby snaps out of it, and with newfound determination he starts stepping towards the figure, keeping his eyes locked to hers.

Cron is suddenly grabbed by two tall men wearing masks and a strange black sash across their wates. On their bodies are tattooed figures either bone thin or pleading for food.

He is brought into the dinosaur display room and tied to one side of a T-Rex skull. On the other side is a middle aged man, foot mangled in some way and his throat slit open into a bowl of meats and fruit.

One of his capures then punches him in the stomach and calls to the other.

"Get the Gudja now, we have another"

The other one then heads downstairs, while the one who punched him stand guard.

Cron doubles over from the punch but looks up and smiles grimly through it.

'Hey, what gives? Why so rough chum?'

He looks around to see how many others are in the room

Cron doubles over from the punch but looks up and smiles grimly through it.

'Hey, what gives? Why so rough chum?'

He looks around to see how many others are in the room
    Now that his vision is returning properly, he can see ten other figures in the room.

At the sight of the female figure, Bubby does not cower, but feels a great dread befall him.

For a moment he gets lost in the stare, now reciprocated by Bubby. Before seconds pass, Bubby snaps out of it, and with newfound determination he starts stepping towards the figure, keeping his eyes locked to hers.
    The figure seems unsure as to whether she should run or attack, Bubby approaches to within twice arm reach...

OOC: Does he continue?

Now that his vision is returning properly, he can see ten other figures in the room.

Cron looks around for his sword.

'What are we all doing up here, in the dead of night, wearing masks... in a museum... you guys are weird. I've heard of this stuff in graveyards but a museum? Really?

Tell ya what, I'll make it easy for ya bud. You give me my sword and I'll do the job for ya, no need to get that pesky DNA on your garb.'

Darren arrives behind Bubby.
    "Now this is my kind of party" he mutters, undoing the top button of his canary yellow shirt.
    Darren's neck is suddenly grabbed from behind. Two muscular hairy masculine arms are compressing his windpipe. His vision is blurring slightly...

OOC: Giving you a chance to act

• Advertisement

Cron looks around for his sword.

'What are we all doing up here, in the dead of night, wearing masks... in a museum... you guys are weird. I've heard of this stuff in graveyards but a museum? Really?

Tell ya what, I'll make it easy for ya bud. You give me my sword and I'll do the job for ya, no need to get that pesky DNA on your garb.'
    The room just laughs.

"Full belly on this one" says an old man, legs shaking as if he can barely stand.

The room just laughs.

"Full belly on this one" says an old man, legs shaking as if he can barely stand.

Cron joins in with the laughing.

'See, we can all be pals - right? I'll tell you what, let me go and I promise not to kill y'all...'

He looks at the guy who punched him.

'Well, maybe not you. Easy peasy - amirite?'

'See, we can all be pals - right? I'll tell you what, let me go and I promise not to kill y'all...'

OOC: +Charm

Darren's neck is suddenly grabbed from behind. Two muscular hairy masculine arms are compressing his windpipe. His vision is blurring slightly...

OOC: Giving you a chance to act

Darren tries to take his 38 out of his pocket and shoot the assailant at hip height.

"He is full bellied" the old man laughs.

"I agree" a deep voice says, coming from the door to the dinosaur area through which Cron was brought.

The figure is wearing ornate robes of sheer white and purple gloves. Their mask is more elaborate, made of a black wood with spirals painted on it.

"Perhaps one like you might be worth the loss of a sacrifice and you are marked by another. We shall free you, but only if you accept our mark. With it you accept that the next time I ask for your surrender, you will"

Darren tries to take his 38 out of his pocket and shoot the assailant at hip height.
    OOC: +Tough

• Advertisement

The figure seems unsure as to whether she should run or attack, Bubby approaches to within twice arm reach...

OOC: Does he continue?

Bubby stops and slowly reaches out with his hand.

While he has no idea how this will end, he en-devours to telepathically communicate with her.

He repeats in his head "We are here to help, they cannot hear us... I am here to help..."

"He is full bellied" the old man laughs.

"I agree" a deep voice says, coming from the door to the dinosaur area through which Cron was brought.

The figure is wearing ornate robes of sheer white and purple gloves. Their mask is more elaborate, made of a black wood with spirals painted on it.

"Perhaps one like you might be worth the loss of a sacrifice and you are marked by another. We shall free you, but only if you accept our mark. With it you accept that the next time I ask for your surrender, you will"

'Mark? Are you coming onto me? Wouldn't be the first time a guy in mask...um... never mind.

I've got to warn you though - the dude that previously marked me, he might not like me double dipping. That's on you guys though - sign me up! Easy peasy, for me anyways.'

OOC: +Tough

5 :(

Just as he manages to get his hand around the handle and trigger Darren's vision goes black.

He wakes later in the back of a van, gagged. In the van with him are still fresh organs.

'Mark? Are you coming onto me? Wouldn't be the first time a guy in mask...um... never mind.

I've got to warn you though - the dude that previously marked me, he might not like me double dipping. That's on you guys though - sign me up! Easy peasy, for me anyways.'
    The figure in the robe grabs his forehead and Cron feels a small sting. The figure then gestures for Cron to be untied. The last thing he sees is the butt of a rifle approaching his face...

• Advertisement
Advertisement