Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop set up

Options
  • 03-12-2018 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Got a laptop for Christmas for my 11 year old. Should I set it up before hand.

Is there much setting up, downloading wise. I have slow internet and I want to avoid disappointment. Last year an x box took 15 hours to download up dates.

Will a laptop have the same level of downloads.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could take a few hours....would be no harm have it set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Thanks. Should I set it up in any particular way from a kids point of view. Hope that makes sence

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd be in two minds.

Pulling the foil and setting up the first account etc is part of the appeal of a youngin getting their first machine. On the other hand chances are you'll need at least one feature update so that could be several hours. Chances are it won't need 60GB like most console games.

What does he/she intend doing on it? These installers, say Fornite, could be 4-5x the size of the updates required.

ED E wrote: »
    I'd be in two minds.

Pulling the foil and setting up the first account etc is part of the appeal of a youngin getting their first machine. On the other hand chances are you'll need at least one feature update so that could be several hours. Chances are it won't need 60GB like most console games.

What does he/she intend doing on it? These installers, say Fornite, could be 4-5x the size of the updates required.

To be honest we haven't fornite yet, he does coding using scratch and Minecraft. He likes messing with word too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

How fast is your broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Thanks. Should I set it up in any particular way from a kids point of view. Hope that makes sence

Yeah, join Microsoft Family and you can monitor screen time and activity, also block adult sites and search results.

long_b wrote: »
    How fast is your broadband?

3 mb if I'm lucky. Effected be high usage. Line of sight internet

Yeah, join Microsoft Family and you can monitor screen time and activity, also block adult sites and search results.

I get mails about his xbox usage, can't remember but think that's Microsoft family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

I would be in the setup in advance camp.

i'd recommend you run all windows updates, often 2 -3 reboots on a new box laptop. Decide on the antivirus, usually there's a trial version on laptop, so you may remove that, or use the trial then remove (i usually remove and install the AV of choice). The pop on a good browser.

Set up an admin account, the setup the child as a local user, not admin.

Install VLC media player, Office, PDF reader of choice, and if you have a printer set that up too. I like to put a couple of their favourite movies in the video folder too. As kid account is not admin, make sure you add any software they need like flash player, steam client etc, and test out netflix and save passwords etc.

Hi Op

I would be in the setup in advance camp.

i'd recommend you run all windows updates, often 2 -3 reboots on a new box laptop. Decide on the antivirus, usually there's a trial version on laptop, so you may remove that, or use the trial then remove (i usually remove and install the AV of choice). The pop on a good browser.

Set up an admin account, the setup the child as a local user, not admin.

Install VLC media player, Office, PDF reader of choice, and if you have a printer set that up too. I like to put a couple of their favourite movies in the video folder too. As kid account is not admin, make sure you add any software they need like flash player, steam client etc, and test out netflix and save passwords etc.

Thanks, didnt think of printer and the others. In the process of updating it now.

• Advertisement

small problem. Im trying to download google chrome and its telling me i cannot download a unverified app, how do i get around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Use firefox browser to download it,
    download from here ,
    https://www.google.com/chrome/

Your download speed depends on your isp ,if you using wifi try and be in the same room as the router .
    I can get 20meg per second on my 5 year old laptop .
    Download avast antivirus ,its free and it does,t slow down the laptop .
    https://www.avast.com/en-eu/index#pc

only run one antivirus app , theres no point in running 2 antivirus programs .
    Microsoft may have set up windows to have edge as the default browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Microsoft parental controls won't work on Firefox or Chrome, if that's important to you.

Advertisement