Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers market returns query

Options
  • 03-12-2018 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Bought an item from a farmer's market Sunday gone by. Went to use it today and within an hour it broke. Where do I stand on returning this and getting my money back as no proof of purchase was given. The stall it I bought it from was staffed by a man from an ethnic group. If he refuses to refund money can I approach the people in charge of the market for a refund? Market is not back on until next weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

<SNIP>
    . . . Farmers market? Or car boot sale/flea market.. If the guy is at the market then chance your arm but probably a case of good luck with that..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Paddypowered

Called a farmer's market in my area but yeah a car boot sale kinda thing. Surely there's some sort of laws governing this? It's still a sale at the end of the day. This item I bought was new in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Called a farmer's market in my area but yeah a car boot sale kinda thing. Surely there's some sort of laws governing this? It's still a sale at the end of the day. This item I bought was new in a box.

New in a box from a car boot sale from an "ethnic group".

I guess you were expecting it to be stolen goods rather than broken.

I'm also betting you paid a fraction of the retail cost at a genuine retailer.

But you expect the organisers of the boot sale to refund you, that is not going to happen, it would make running such events nonviable if you had to stand over every sale.

Most likely it would be classed as a private sale so caveat emptor.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    New in a box from a car boot sale from an "ethnic group".

I guess you were expecting it to be stolen goods rather than broken.

I'm also betting you paid a fraction of the retail cost at a genuine retailer.

But you expect the organisers of the boot sale to refund you, that is not going to happen, it would make running such events nonviable if you had to stand over every sale.

Most likely it would be classed as a private sale so caveat emptor.

Not sure why quotation marks where used as they were recently awarded status as an ethnic group. I have no issue with them.

No I'm not from the same mindframe/old fashioned generation as you as in I did not expect them to be stolen. In fact the stall was well laid out with new packages goods.

I paid enough money that it would warrant this query. Haggling was involved and we agree a price and shook on it as is customary.

I'm sure an agreement can be reached when I return with the faulty goods. I was just exploring my options if an agreement can't be hence asking for advice as information is thin on the ground when it comes to farmers markets and the laws governing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

drop in to market and ask for replacement.
    hopefully he will do the decent thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Bought an item from a farmer's market Sunday gone by. Went to use it today and within an hour it broke. Where do I stand on returning this and getting my money back as no proof of purchase was given. The stall it I bought it from was staffed by a man from an ethnic group. If he refuses to refund money can I approach the people in charge of the market for a refund? Market is not back on until next weekend.

How did it break?
    If it has a manufacturing fault then you could try returning it and if it was bought off a business then usual sale of goods rules apply.
    If it was misused then it is down to you or whoever misused it.
    You really need to provide a bit more detail

drop in to market and ask for replacement.
    hopefully he will do the decent thing.

Yes reckon he will, even if I don't get my cash back I'd be happy with an exchange for something else.

rock22 wrote: »
    How did it break?
    If it has a manufacturing fault then you could try returning it and if it was bought off a business then usual sale of goods rules apply.
    If it was misused then it is down to you or whoever misused it.
    You really need to provide a bit more detail
    It was an air impact gun. Using it to remove wheels and 2 out of 4 bolts sheared in rear of housing. Bolts basically hold the gun together. Looking at the bolts the threads have been pulled in the housing. They were not threading very far into the housing. Maybe 4/5 threads. Poor manufacturing that isnt noticeable from the outside. Stopped using it straight away. Wasn't misused, just used for its primary function which it didn't do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Some traveller dealers will actually throw you out another one as depending on what it is, its likely costing them very small money.
    Other traveller dealers will threaten you and get you to leave the stall.
    Either way, they are either selling unless cheap crap or stolen gear. Buying either is not wise.

mickdw wrote: »
    Some traveller dealers will actually throw you out another one as depending on what it is, its likely costing them very small money.
    Other traveller dealers will threaten you and get you to leave the stall.
    Either way, they are either selling unless cheap crap or stolen gear. Buying either is not wise.

Only bought it as was recommended by a friend of mine...and in all fairness his does the job fine. I obviously got the dud. He seems like a fair lad so I'd say I won't have an issue. Just wanted to know where I stand if things turn sour. Bought a few bits of him the same day and no issues with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Maybe ask them for a VAT receipt too.

Come on. You buy dodgy goods, you take your chances. The guy might help you out but you have absolutely no legal rights here whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As far as I know the op has the same rights as buying from any other business, enforcing those rights may be tricky though, but go along and say it, he'll probably just give you a replacement...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Markcheese wrote:
    As far as I know the op has the same rights as buying from any other business, enforcing those rights may be tricky though, but go along and say it, he'll probably just give you a replacement...

Wouldn't this be classed as a private sale???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Suckler

It was an air impact gun. Using it to remove wheels and 2 out of 4 bolts sheared in rear of housing. Bolts basically hold the gun together. Looking at the bolts the threads have been pulled in the housing. They were not threading very far into the housing. Maybe 4/5 threads. Poor manufacturing that isnt noticeable from the outside. Stopped using it straight away. Wasn't misused, just used for its primary function which it didn't do very well.

You bought an air impact gun from a car boot sale and expected a quality product....

No sympathy here. There's a reason reputable retailers and manufactures cost more, you want a race to the bottom this is what you get.

Buying tools "new" :rolleyes: from an "ethnic group" encourages the business of stolen tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tedpan wrote: »
    Wouldn't this be classed as a private sale???

No, the retailer is acting as a business.

Enforcing rights is likely to be impossible if the vendor doesn't want to. I would imagine there is no receipt for starters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm sure an agreement can be reached when I return with the faulty goods. I was just exploring my options if an agreement can't be hence asking for advice as information is thin on the ground when it comes to farmers markets and the laws governing them.

Have you a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

....No I'm not from the same mindframe/old fashioned generation as you as in I did not expect them to be stolen.....

Well, you've learnt something new today then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It sounds like you purchased goods in a private sale. As a result, caveat emptor applies and you you have no Consumer rights.

I don’t know why the “ethnic group” comment is relevant. You’d be in exactly the same situation no matter who you bought from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

L1011 wrote:
    No, the retailer is acting as a business.

L1011 wrote:
    Enforcing rights is likely to be impossible if the vendor doesn't want to. I would imagine there is no receipt for starters

dudara wrote:
    It sounds like you purchased goods in a private sale. As a result, caveat emptor applies and you you have no Consumer rights.

Which mod do I listen to? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

tedpan wrote: »
    Which mod do I listen to? :)

Only the one who moderates this forum;)

You bought from a stall without a receipt band expect an item of merchantible quality.
    Firstly you've no proof of purchase.
    Second, youve now idea as to the source of the item
    Three, you most likely paid a fraction of the true cost.

It was most likely either fake or stolen...no matter what the ethnic background was of the seller.... either way you're encouraging the practice.

• Advertisement

Just an update, returned the product this morning and exchanged for something else. No issues from either side. Thanks for all the comments. Some constructive, some not so much. So if anyone ever finds themselves in this situation, as it's hard to know where you stand in this situation, go back with the defective product and explain the situation. I was offered an exchange straight away. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Just an update, returned the product this morning and exchanged for something else. No issues from either side. Thanks for all the comments. Some constructive, some not so much. So if anyone ever finds themselves in this situation, as it's hard to know where you stand in this situation, go back with the defective product and explain the situation. I was offered an exchange straight away. Thanks again.

Fair play for posting the update, but your experience is of no value to anyone else.

You bought probably stolen goods (let's be honest, you know it as well as us) from a car boot sale. You could just as easily have gone back this week and found the guy wasn't there. Or he could have denied selling you the thing in the first place, or he could have told you that all sales were final - and what could you have done?

If you're genuinely concerned about your consumer rights, don't buy dodgy goods in the first place. That's the only lesson here.

Fair play for posting the update, but your experience is of no value to anyone else.

You bought probably stolen goods (let's be honest, you know it as well as us) from a car boot sale. You could just as easily have gone back this week and found the guy wasn't there. Or he could have denied selling you the thing in the first place, or he could have told you that all sales were final - and what could you have done?

If you're genuinely concerned about your consumer rights, don't buy dodgy goods in the first place. That's the only lesson here.

Before commenting maybe read my previous posts. I didn't buy stolen goods. I'm in this game long enough to recognize stolen goods and anyone who steals, deals in or buys another man's livelihood is scum to me. As I said the item I bought was packaged as was his other items.
    He's there every week. In fact most of the stalls are there every week. It's how they make their living so not being there is a loss to them.
    Yeah he could have denied knowing me/sales where final but if you took the time to read my first post you would have seen that the point of this thread was for advice in that circumstance so your statement makes no sense and is in fact pointless.
    Finally, I bought an item that looks 100%. In a case with all instructions. How is that dodgy? You could go to aldi in the morning and buy something and it might only last an hour....yeah you'd get your money back in that case but I was happy with an exchange.
    So you say my experience is of value to no-one else?? So you are saying to the person who may read this post looking for advice to not bother going back. If I didn't bother going back I'd be stuck with a broken item of no use. Whereas I exchanged for two items that I've used today and am happy with. That's great consumer advice from you. Hope no-one pays much attention to you. <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@paddypowered - please lay off the uncivil comments. I’m glad you got your issue resolved quickly, but name calling other posters isn’t on

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Before commenting maybe read my previous posts. I didn't buy stolen goods. I'm in this game long enough to recognize stolen goods and anyone who steals, deals in or buys another man's livelihood is scum to me. As I said the item I bought was packaged as was his other items.

New tools stolen from a company are also stolen goods..............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Im surprised you got a exchange, a happy ending to the PI. Well not for the original owner

If it ever gets stolen from you OP well now you know where to buy it back ;)

Advertisement