Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 7 buying options.

Options
  • 03-12-2018 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for the best options to get an iPhone 7 for my son for Christmas. He's on prepay on the three network. I'm also with three on a 30 day sim package. Not bothered with losing an upgrade for myself, as I usually just buy a basic Android. Open also to a good refurb. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for the best options to get an iPhone 7 for my son for Christmas. He's on prepay on the three network. I'm also with three on a 30 day sim package. Not bothered with losing an upgrade for myself, as I usually just buy a basic Android. Open also to a good refurb. Thanks.

30 day sim packages don't get upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BDJW wrote: »

What does?

People always mention upgrades but even when I'm entitled to one the upgrade price is the same as the non upgrade price.

I don't think phones are really subsidized anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They do on 3 but it bumps you back into a contract at a higher monthly rate. When your out of contract they let you go to the SIM only offer price but your upgrade is still there if you ever want a phone and are prepared to go back into contact.

So op could just walk in and get a free iPhone 7 but will pay for it over the next 24mts as his monthly contract goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Buy one on adverts for 250 to 350 euro straight out for him.

rizzee wrote: »
    Buy one on adverts for 250 to 350 euro straight out for him.

There's been a ton of phone store robberies. In the last few weeks wouldn't touch one that doesn't come from a shop right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

murpho999 wrote: »
    People always mention upgrades but even when I'm entitled to one the upgrade price is the same as the non upgrade price.
    You're probably on a cheaper tariff. The more you pay per month after an upgrade (or on a new contract) the more you'll get off the up-front price. But gone are the old days of getting a free iPhone that isn't a few years old without paying them one way or another.

OP, you probably won't get much cheaper for a refurb iPhone 7 than the ones they're offering on Pigback.

(I bought a refurbed 6S for my mum there, but can't vouch for it yet as it hasn't arrived.)

He gets 100 back in credit for a new one at 499 and the extra warranty from 3, only 70 in the difference for a new one when all is said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

There's been a ton of phone store robberies. In the last few weeks wouldn't touch one that doesn't come from a shop right now.

I would and always do. Imei checks if worried. Can get the phones new for a fraction of the price.

Each to their own.

Dades wrote: »
    You're probably on a cheaper tariff. The more you pay per month after an upgrade (or on a new contract) the more you'll get off the up-front price. But gone are the old days of getting a free iPhone that isn't a few years old without paying them one way or another.

OP, you probably won't get much cheaper for a refurb iPhone 7 than the ones they're offering on Pigback.

(I bought a refurbed 6S for my mum there, but can't vouch for it yet as it hasn't arrived.)

Last few years been with Meteor/Eir.

Was paying €55 a month for on 2 year contract that was on the 6 and when came time to upgrade to the 7 in 2016 I still would have had to pay full whack for the latest iPhone.

I didn't bother, went sim only, and used the differnce to pay for the 8 when it came out.

rizzee wrote: »
    I would and always do. Imei checks if worried. Can get the phones new for a fraction of the price.

Each to their own.

These will show up fine on an imei check,. I know of at least 5 breakins all iPhones stolen...

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Was paying €55 a month for on 2 year contract that was on the 6 and when came time to upgrade to the 7 in 2016 I still would have had to pay full whack for the latest iPhone.
    Define "full whack" here.

Because every single network gives discounts on Apple prices if bought on contract, and has done for as long as iPhones have been selling. Why would anyone ever sign a contract otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

They do on 3 but it bumps you back into a contract at a higher monthly rate.

The above just backs up my original post. You do not get an upgrade on a 30 day sim only plan. You can get an upgrade/new phone if you sign back into a full 2 year contract though

Dades wrote: »
    Define "full whack" here.

Because every single network gives discounts on Apple prices if bought on contract, and has done for as long as iPhones have been selling. Why would anyone ever sign a contract otherwise?

I really don't think they do give discounts.

iPhone 8 Plus64gb at launch was €879.

I paid €399 up front.
    Then €50 for six months and €55 for 18 months,

I could get the same or similar sim only monthly deal for €30. So its €20 per month for 6 months and €25 per month for 18 months for the phone.

The phone total then is €969.

So clearly not discounted at all.

I'm not complaining about it as the phone has to be paid for but just trying to point out that is no real "upgrade" discount anymore.

The above just backs up my original post. You do not get an upgrade on a 30 day sim only plan. You can get an upgrade/new phone if you sign back into a full 2 year contract though

Your right you don't but you are due one if you want it. It's slightly different to some 30 days contract where you can't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks all for the info. The package I'm on at the minute is a €30 per month 30 day sim only plan. I did an upgrade check with 3 and it came back as follows for an Iphone 7 32GB....

€30 a month (3 mini flex max plan) for 24 months + €279 up front.

€45 a month (3 classic flex max plan) for 24 months + €10 up front.

€60 a month (3 unlimited flex max plan) for 24 months + €0 up front.

PAYG with 3 or CPW sim free €499.
    Argos UK or CPW UK sim free £449.
    Amazon UK approx £300 for a refurbished with 1 year warranty.

Your on an unlimited plan, you'd want to check your usage before changing plan. Your not really saving anything, 29 euro if you go for classic flex max.
    Does he need an iphone 7, you can get a 6 mint+ for 279 with warranty from 3.

If there's any fault with the amazon one it could be a pain getting it repaired.

Your on an unlimited plan, you'd want to check your usage before changing plan. Your not really saving anything, 29 euro if you go for classic flex max.
    Does he need an iphone 7, you can get a 6 mint+ for 279 with warranty from 3.

If there's any fault with the amazon one it could be a pain getting it repaired.

Yeah. Must check the usage to see.

I mentioned a 6 to him as they can be got for handier money, but he said something about it not being supported for updates by Apple shortly?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Yeah. Must check the usage to see.

I mentioned a 6 to him as they can be got for handier money, but he said something about it not being supported for updates by Apple shortly?

lol, he's a chancer. You should get him a 5s for trying to pull the wool over your eyes. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209051

The improvement to touch ID alone from a 6 to a 7 would be worth the extra if its going to be kept for two years, imo. It just works on the 7 as opposed to half-works on the 6.

That and being a two years younger model.

Yeah looks like it will be the 7. Hopefully last for a couple of years. Who's knows with a teenager!

• Advertisement
Advertisement