Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Safety Sign in Sallins

Options
  • 03-12-2018 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what this is about?

Fairly significant double sided sign opposite Top outlining fatalities, accidents,and 'near misses' and alluding to lack of action by KCC.

What is being looked for - some kind of traffic calming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyone know what this is about?

Fairly significant double sided sign opposite Top outlining fatalities, accidents,and 'near misses' and alluding to lack of action by KCC.

What is being looked for - some kind of traffic calming?

Traffic calming, improved crossings and proper bus stops. A lot of traffic passing through with poor pedestrian safety really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

This article might provide some background, there are others which are blocked if you have adblocker on your browser.

https://kildare-nationalist.ie/2018/12/02/huge-protest-march-in-sallins-over-lack-of-response-to-danes-tragic-death/

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I wouldn't argue with the suggestions being made- traffic calming is needed in many of our towns and villages. I do think that saying zero action is being taken is misleading- there is a bypass of the town currently being constructed which will certainly help overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

baaba maal wrote: »
    I wouldn't argue with the suggestions being made- traffic calming is needed in many of our towns and villages. I do think that saying zero action is being taken is misleading- there is a bypass of the town currently being constructed which will certainly help overall.

I think the annoyance was with the Council for pointing to the future completion of a capitol project as a solution rather than doing anything themselves in the interim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Aye, I'm guessing they don't want to start works in the village while the bypass is underway. Whether that is a reasonable or even valid excuse or not, I'm not sure. During rush hours, traffic is essentially calmed just by the sheer volumes. Outside of those times, I can see that the road around Castlefen is liable to be seen as a licence to speed given it's a wide enough road exiting the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I think it’s a shame there isn’t a place for kids to cross the road safely in the part of the road where that young fella was killed. I mean surely it can’t be too big a deal to have a zebra crossing. From what I can see when I drive past the little memorial to him, there’s still no safe way for kids to cross that road near there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

There will be another protest in Sallins on Fri 14th at 4pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1182034758614130/?active_tab=about

Advertisement