Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint Scheme

Options
  • 04-12-2018 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Peugeot Optimum 531 frameset, I want to put a set of giant carbon 1 inch forks (in the Once team colours) on it instead of the original forks and spray the frame the same grey colour as on the Once forks. Anyone any ideas where I would get the colour code for this grey colour? I intend to do the respray myself, hence the question. Also, any tips for removing the original paint from the frame? I've never done this before, but fancy trying my hand at it. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Don't waste your time with rattlecan spray paint. It's not durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Not intending to use cans. Will do a proper respray. But thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

hesker wrote: »
    Don't waste your time with rattlecan spray paint. It's not durable.

If it's finished with lacquer it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Hurrache wrote: »
    If it's finished with lacquer it can be.[/QUOTE

Mine has about 5 layers of paint and at least that many coats of lacquer and it still isn't very durable.
    I'm also annoyed that I faded green to black with the front black, should have done it the other way round as the back of the bike gets dirtier.
    Lesson learned for when I do it again
    buy a new bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ha, buy a new bike it the only solution. But the one I did was for kids so the rule doesn't apply then.

I did it during the summer, stripped and sanded it and used Halfords metallic paint and lacquer. If I do say so myself it came out great. Granted it didn't get much use since I done the bloody thing but it has held up well so far. Come Spring time after a bit more use it may end up chipped to pieces.

• Advertisement
Advertisement