Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eph thermostat

• 04-12-2018 7:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Just an enquiry re : thermostat.
    I set my thermostat to 21 degrees.
    I put on the heat and I noticed the other day the thermostat was showing 17 degrees as I passed by ..The boiler was on and presumably bringing the heat back up to 21 which I had it set to.

My question is , if I set the heat to 21 degrees ... how low does it go before the thermostat calls for heat to being the temperature up to what I actually set it to?

I had thought if I set it to 21 degrees it would stay at that , obviously it doesn’t.

Any advice appreciated....also what is the usual temperature ..around this time of the year that central heating should be set at for comfort

Thks

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Any advice appreciated....also what is the usual temperature ..around this time of the year that central heating should be set at for comfort

If it is an EPH controller then it is probably on a timer, so it will bring the temperature up to 21 degrees at the times you have preset.
    I know it is possible to set these to be on permanently but that would be wasteful.
    As for comfort that is a personal thing, anything from 18 to 21 would be normal enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

denismc wrote: »
    If it is an EPH controller then it is probably on a timer, so it will bring the temperature up to 21 degrees at the times you have preset.
    I know it is possible to set these to be on permanently but that would be wasteful.
    As for comfort that is a personal thing, anything from 18 to 21 would be normal enough

Thanks I only use boost ... 1 hour or 2 hours by pressing boost twice.

I set the stat to 21. I understand what you say and yes it would be wasteful , I don’t want to do that , I wondered when it’s set to 21 ... I see it drops to at least 17 ( noticed it this morning as I glanced at stat in hall ) how low does it drop before it calls for heat to bring it back to 21 was what I’m curious about , really.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

If you are only using boost then it that is the only time that the thermostat will be active, so when the boost is off then the temperature in the house will drop until you use boost again.

I have a smart thermostat from Tado, it allows me to set different temperatures for different times of the day, so at night I have it set to 19 degrees .
    This has definitely has saved me money, it might be worth your while looking into something like that.

denismc wrote: »
    If you are only using boost then it that is the only time that the thermostat will be active, so when the boost is off then the temperature in the house will drop until you use boost again.

I have a smart thermostat from Tado, it allows me to set different temperatures for different times of the day, so at night I have it set to 19 degrees .
    This has definitely has saved me money, it might be worth your while looking into something like that.

Thanks I just paid 3200 for a new boiler with these controls last month so no need for more expense I think 🀔 thks

All I’m simply trying to establish is ... over sat , 60 minutes , the temperature goes to 21 degrees ok. At some point when it reaches 21 degrees the boiler switches off as the desired heat had been reached ... how low does your average thermostat allow the house temperature to drop , before it calls for heat again to return the temperature to 21 degrees.

Maybe it’s more complicated than I thought ?
    Thks for replies

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Thanks I just paid 3200 for a new boiler with these controls last month so no need for more expense I think �� thks

All I’m simply trying to establish is ... over sat , 60 minutes , the temperature goes to 21 degrees ok. At some point when it reaches 21 degrees the boiler switches off as the desired heat had been reached ... how low does your average thermostat allow the house temperature to drop , before it calls for heat again to return the temperature to 21 degrees.

Maybe it’s more complicated than I thought ?
    Thks for replies
    About 1/2 a degree

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

... how low does your average thermostat allow the house temperature to drop , before it calls for heat again /QUOTE]

when it drops 1 degree the stat will call for heat

dathi wrote: »
    ... how low does your average thermostat allow the house temperature to drop , before it calls for heat again /QUOTE]

when it drops 1 degree the stat will call for heat

Thank you

Advertisement