Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

The 9th post on this thread shows the edited video from Mrs Speilberg have a look.

The edited video that you state is edited is now the gospel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BBFAN wrote: »

The edited clip is all we have for now until the crystal clear TV3 video is posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

tuxy wrote: »
    I will when you post the link as I can't find it.

Well how the hell am I supposed to find it then!....watch their news later it will likely be shown again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

For shooting the dog yes of course, who else is to blame?

You didn’t understand my post.
    The dog got shot because it was a threat, simple as that.
    I’m amazed at the lack of respect shown to an arm guard/detective.
    No other county would put up with that. Best outcome was shooting the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Just imagine grabbing an armed police in a different country.

They would be lucky to be alive after it!

Probably would have had a better ending too: Traveller shot for attacking a Gardai, Dog arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Find it strange that a Garda would not use a clip on tie, there wouldn't have been a problem, other than the loss of a tie, if he had.

They're a cunt to put on, in fairness. And you usually need to have your top button closed for them to stay on, so it feels like you're getting strangled regardless.

archer22 wrote: »
    Well how the hell am I supposed to find it then!....watch their news later it will likely be shown again.

If they broadcast live to the internet I'll have a look and if not does anyone know if the old coat hangar trick works with the new digital system, I think my tv has a decoder for it. Also what time?

They're a cunt to put on, in fairness. And you usually need to have your top button closed for them to stay on, so it feels like you're getting strangled regardless.

If the super saw him with a clip on tie it would make the traveller situation look like a walk in the park.

If they broadcast live to the internet I'll have a look and if not does anyone know if the old coat hangar trick works with the new digital system, I think my tv has a decoder for it. Also what time?

Just remembered TV3 had a recent name change..its now called "Virgin 1" their other channel is now called "Virgin 2"

Its usually the same news broadcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Almost everyone on here has stated that you can't hear or see the dog on the video yet at the same time later saying the dog must have been savaging the Gardaí for him to shoot. Now which one is it? Seriously? Nail your hammer to the mast.

Facts are that 1. A dog is dead 2. 1 shot was fired.

So either the dog was a dumb dog who was savaging the Garda without a sound or he shot the dog out of spite because he knew he'd get in serious **** for shooting a person?

Whatever the case maybe, from the very beginning he looks like an absolute loolaa. He's not there in an official capacity. He's simply trying to act the big man to help his mate and it quite literally backfired on him.

I've no sympathy for anyone in this scenario except the dog. The travellers were obviously acting the dick, the person who had gone to get their car repaired from travellers was an idiot to deal with them and the Garda was a macho gob****e trying to act it to impress his mate.

Where is the Garda’s mate that you are referring to above?

• Advertisement

You didn’t understand my post.
    The dog got shot because it was a threat, simple as that.
    I’m amazed at the lack of respect shown to an arm guard/detective.
    No other county would put up with that. Best outcome was shooting the dog.

No other county? Like Dublin?

You're amazed at the lack of respect shown to someone who wasn't there in a official capacity? Why?

Answer me this all the "shoot em all dead" crew. Why should an off duty guard have any more respect than an ordinary joe?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Where is the Garda’s mate that you are referring to above?

The coward sitting in the van who didn't back up his Garda friend in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I know a number of Guards, but I wouldn't use their first names if they were at work. I would call them, Guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Answer me this all the "shoot em all dead" crew. Why should an off duty guard have any more respect than an ordinary joe?

Why couldn't the travellers let the man in the van go and pursue him for the outstanding bill through the courts?

So has anyone got an answer as to why this savage killer dog is so silent?

A silent but deadly?

mea_k wrote: »
    I would shoot the dog too if he was threat to mine and others safety. Dog was not letting go of him. Dog was protecting owner and essentially became weapon used against garda. Any normal person would have done the same.

It’s a bloody dog for Christ sake. You’d swear he’d shot an innocent old lady or something the way people are going on about the bloody dog

pablo128 wrote: »
    Why couldn't the travellers let the man in the van go and pursue him for the outstanding bill through the courts?

No it doesn't work that way. You answer my question first and then I'll answer yours.

Just remembered TV3 had a recent name change..its now called "Virgin 1" their other channel is now called "Virgin 2"

Its usually the same news broadcast

Ah so that's why I couldn't find their website, thanks.

Since you have seen the clip from further back, can you tell us what was holding his tie?

Water John wrote: »
    I know a number of Guards, but I wouldn't use their first names if they were at work. I would call them, Guard.

Except this man wasn't at work as far as we know? And if you genuinely refer to your friends as Guard then you need to look at yourself.

• Advertisement

It’s a bloody dog for Christ sake. You’d swear he’d shot an innocent old lady or something the way people are going on about the bloody dog

You've obviously never owned a dog.

Have you not come across stealth dogs? They are the silent ones that attack without warning, some bulls do the same, no warning.
    Yes, I have owned dogs but we are becoming nearly like the English and valuing a dogs life higher than a human's.

The coward sitting in the van who didn't back up his Garda friend in any way.

Do you have any support to prove th Guard and van driver were friends??

Who says the guard was off duty??

Ah so that's why I couldn't find their website, thanks.

Since you have seen the clip from further back, can you tell us what was holding his tie?

I don't have a bloody clue what was holding his tie...there was nothing holding his tie when he fired or even near his goddamn tie!

You've obviously never owned a dog.

Owned plenty

It’s a dog

You know what's gas? If you search Garda shot dog and Virgin Media you get a story about a man being sought by Gardaí for shooting a dog and horse.

And of course that man is a scumbag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Garda powers are not in any way restricted to their roster. If they happen upon a crime, they have full authority to intervene. That said, why do you assume he was off duty?

I don't have a bloody clue what was holding his tie...there was nothing holding his tie when he fired or even near his goddamn tie!

So the youtube clip from post 9 is a completely different incident? Because his tie is streached tight, you can even see it in the still i posted.

This is starting to get very strange and confusing.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Have you not come across stealth dogs? They are the silent ones that attack without warning, some bulls do the same, no warning.
    Yes, I have owned dogs but we are becoming nearly like the English and valuing a dogs life higher than a human's.

Ah stop, now you're making me piss myself. Stealth dog? No I've never come across them but I'm quite sure if they exist they are not reared by travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BBFAN wrote:

You have to wonder why Mrs Speilberg edited it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

LOL

BBFAN has lost the plot.

The Guard's tie is held firmly when the shot is fired, Stop reinventing the facts. If I thought a dog was a threat to me I would use whatever force was needed to remove the threat.

So the youtube clip from post 9 is a completely different incident? Because his tie is streached tight, you can even see it in the still i posted.

Yep the Virgin news clip shows the actual shooting...I do not see that on clip on first page

Do you have any support to prove th Guard and van driver were friends??

Nope, no more than the people who claim the traveller had a slash hook have support.

But I do know he wouldn't have been risking his life and career for someone he didn't know. That is definitely a fact.

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote:

Was he off duty? As to the respect thing it's just common sense not to set your dog on an armed individual and hope nothing happens to your dag.

BBFAN wrote:
    So has anyone got an answer as to why this savage killer dog is so silent?

It's mouth was full of the guard's tie prehaps , what's your explanation?

You're still not answering the question.

If so many people in this thread claim that the youtube clip from post 9 was very strongly edited how can they then claim it's gospel?

Then go back and watch the video on page 1 again.

#jesuisalsatian.... or #jesuistoby....

• Advertisement

LOL

BBFAN has lost the plot.

In what way? Please back up your post.

Nope, no more than the people who claim the traveller had a slash hook have support.

But I do know he wouldn't have been risking his life and career for someone he didn't know. That is definitely a fact.

No it’s not a definite fact, only in your head is it a fact

You have to wonder why Mrs Speilberg edited it.

So you admit she edited it? So we can't take that as gospel so?

No it’s not a definite fact, only in your head is it a fact

So you think that an off duty detective would stop and get involved in this situation if he didn't have some motive?

Bless that you're that naïve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So you think that an off duty detective would stop and get involved in this situation if he didn't have some motive?

You were asked for proof that the detective was off duty.

Yep the Virgin news clip shows the actual shooting...I do not see that on clip on first page

The one from post 9 has the incident but the gun is slightly out of frame as it goes of. Is youtube not working for you? You can see it as the top result if you type "garda shoots traveller" on youtube. It seems to be much longer and has the dialogue where the garda says "get him to let go of me"

BBFAN wrote:
    So you admit she edited it? So we can't take that as gospel so?

A blind man can see it's edited but the guard can be clearly heard saying "get him to let go" also "watch him Toby" can be heard before the shot is fired as for take as gospel wtf are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

What was the Detectives motive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Again, why do you assume he's off duty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It has reported on every single source of media that a dog was killed and yet you still don't believe it? Bias much?

Read what I posted and try again ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement