Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Bank Of Ireland asking their customers to upload their ID?

Options
  • 04-12-2018 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭

Got a letter supposedly  from Bank Of IrelandI asking to upload id yesterday. Is this genuine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's very poorly done. Titled "Dear Customer". No mention of an account number. Contains a strange reference number. It's straight from the Ladybird book of Phishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Ally Dick wrote: »
    It's very poorly done. Titled "Dear Customer". No mention of an account number. Contains a strange reference number. It's straight from the Ladybird book of Phishing
    I got it via email and post so check your email to see if you got one too.

Still haven't done it yet months later. Can't get the proof of address easily in these days of paperless billing so haven't bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Got a letter supposedly from Bank Of Ireland asking to upload id yesterday. Is this genuine?

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]We are currently requesting up to date Photo ID and proof of address from our customers as per Irish and EU law. These requests are being sent by email and post. If you are unsure of any email you have received claiming to be from bank of Ireland, please call the Customer Contact Team on 0818 200 399 for further assistance or see here.[/font]

Please feel free to get in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Many Thanks[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Jen[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

Got a letter supposedly  from Bank Of Ireland asking to upload id yesterday. Is this genuine?

Hi There,

We are currently requesting up to date Photo ID and proof of address from our customers as per Irish and EU law. These requests are being sent by email and post. If you are unsure of any email you have received claiming to be from bank of Ireland, please call the Customer Contact Team on 0818 200 399 for further assistance or see here.

Many Thanks
    Jen
    hi iv tried to get on your upload site ,but keep getting message  ..this page not found..  sent a message to b of ireland and was told to try a link .but that was same one im trying .????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

What are the repercussions for the bank account user? There is no answer to this on any of the documentation received. 

I just have a mortgage account with you as I do my day to day banking with another Institution. Will this account fall into bad standing if I do not elect to give you another copy of my personal details. In accordance with data protection law the letter fails as there is no real reason given as to why you want this information and for what purposes it is being collected.

Are customers not compliant with the law if they elect not to give you details ? How is this enforceable? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

TonyStark wrote: »
    What are the repercussions for the bank account user? There is no answer to this on any of the documentation received. 

I just have a mortgage account with you as I do my day to day banking with another Institution. Will this account fall into bad standing if I do not elect to give you another copy of my personal details. In accordance with data protection law the letter fails as there is no real reason given as to why you want this information and for what purposes it is being collected.

Are customers not compliant with the law if they elect not to give you details ? How is this enforceable? 

Hi there,
    Thanks for the question.
    We are requesting this information from some customers because we are obliged under the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Acts 2010 and 2013 to obtain and hold up to date identification documentation for all of our customers.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.  

allanpkr wrote: »
    Got a letter supposedly  from Bank Of Ireland asking to upload id yesterday. Is this genuine?

Hi There,

We are currently requesting up to date Photo ID and proof of address from our customers as per Irish and EU law. These requests are being sent by email and post. If you are unsure of any email you have received claiming to be from bank of Ireland, please call the Customer Contact Team on 0818 200 399 for further assistance or see here.

Many Thanks
    Jen
    hi iv tried to get on your upload site ,but keep getting message  ..this page not found..  sent a message to b of ireland and was told to try a link .but that was same one im trying .????

Hi allanpkr,
    Thanks for the message, I've replied to your message in relation to this on another thread.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Hi there,
    Thanks for the question.
    We are requesting this information from some customers because we are obliged under the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Acts 2010 and 2013 to obtain and hold up to date identification documentation for all of our customers.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.  

Thanks Darren - doesn’t answer my question.

Sounds like a back peddling exercise for an institution that finds itself uncompliant with the law of the land.

TonyStark wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Thanks for the question.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.  

Thanks Darren - doesn’t answer my question.

Sounds like a back peddling exercise for an institution that finds itself uncompliant with the law of the land.

Thanks for coming back to me.
    Sorry that you're unhappy with the answer I've provided. If you contact our team on 0818 200 399 (or 0035312500399 if you're abroad) and the advisers there will be happy to have a look into your account and confirm to you if there would be any specific repercussions to you if this documentation is not presented.

Thanks again,
    Darren.  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Maybe it's required to sell our Mortgages on to vulture funds, I won't be providing any further information for a Mortgage taken out nearly 20 years ago.

Advertisement