Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with 2.4GHz channel and wifi range extender

• 04-12-2018 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭

I had Eir FTTH installed about 6 weeks ago. No problems with the connection at all or the F2000 router but big issues with the 2.4GHz channel (I think).

I have a TP Link RE305 1200Mbps dual band wifi range extender. Absolutely essential for me because I get no wifi at the rear of the house where the bedrooms and home office are. It is broadcasting the 2 bands under separate SSIDs, so I have 4 different SSIDs in the house. Lets call them:

eir2.4, eir5, tplink2.4, and tplink5

For context I have a firestick in the sitting room that's connected to the eir2.4 SSID all the time and more often than not my phone is connected to the tplink2.4 SSID. My computer is connected to tplink5.

My phone (OnePlus 3) and occasionally the fire stick will randomly lose connection and can't regain it. Rebooting the phone/firestick and router and/or the range extender doesn't resolve it. The phone gets stuck trying to obtain an IP Configuration and will time out. I have a WiFi analyzer app on my phone and not sure how accurate it is but when I connect to either of the 5GHz SSIDs I have no issue and the wifi analyzer app tells me that the issue with the 2.4 band is the channel. If I change the channel to one recommended by the app then everything works again.

The problem is that I'm having to do this multiple times per week and it's very annoying. I understand that channels can suffer interference so sometimes have to be changed but not this often. This is possibly just a strange coincidence and not the issue at all.

Anyone have any idea what might be the cause/solution to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I had Eir FTTH installed about 6 weeks ago. No problems with the connection at all or the F2000 router but big issues with the 2.4GHz channel (I think).

I have a TP Link RE305 1200Mbps dual band wifi range extender. Absolutely essential for me because I get no wifi at the rear of the house where the bedrooms and home office are. It is broadcasting the 2 bands under separate SSIDs, so I have 4 different SSIDs in the house. Lets call them:

eir2.4, eir5, tplink2.4, and tplink5

For context I have a firestick in the sitting room that's connected to the eir2.4 SSID all the time and more often than not my phone is connected to the tplink2.4 SSID. My computer is connected to tplink5.

My phone (OnePlus 3) and occasionally the fire stick will randomly lose connection and can't regain it. Rebooting the phone/firestick and router and/or the range extender doesn't resolve it. The phone gets stuck trying to obtain an IP Configuration and will time out. I have a WiFi analyzer app on my phone and not sure how accurate it is but when I connect to either of the 5GHz SSIDs I have no issue and the wifi analyzer app tells me that the issue with the 2.4 band is the channel. If I change the channel to one recommended by the app then everything works again.

The problem is that I'm having to do this multiple times per week and it's very annoying. I understand that channels can suffer interference so sometimes have to be changed but not this often. This is possibly just a strange coincidence and not the issue at all.

Anyone have any idea what might be the cause/solution to this?

Why have you 4 SSIDs? If you're repeating you would be using the same channel and should have the same SSID on each channel otherwise your repeater on the same channel is interfering.

Repeaters are a terrible option by the way. If you can't run a cable homeplugs or mesh are better options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Why have you 4 SSIDs? If you're repeating you would be using the same channel and should have the same SSID on each channel otherwise your repeater on the same channel is interfering.

Repeaters are a terrible option by the way. If you can't run a cable homeplugs or mesh are better options

I initially had them on the same SSID but the connection was terribly unstable. Don't really know why but it was really bad. I know I'm having interference issues now but when there are no interference issues the connection is very solid.

What I intend to do eventually is something like a switch in the attic or that and wire a few ports around the place but for now this is the solution I have to live with.

Advertisement