Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AIG, MultiTrip, or Blue insurance travel insurance ?

• 04-12-2018 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

So lads....AIG, MultiTrip, or Blue Travel insurance ?

Have these 3 companies on my short list for travel insurance, for a fairly big trip to the US over Xmas.

Any feedback - good or bad - on them would be appreciated. The premiums, excess charges, terms and conditions etc etc are broadly similar for all 3, so am interested in feedback on how easy/hard the claims process may have been for any of ye, levels of customer service, have they someone you can talk to that is based here in Ireland etc etc

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The 2nd and 3rd are the same company and it is a packaged Mapfre policy.

Mapfre underwrite a very high % of travel insurance policies available here.

The AIG policy appears to be their own product.

Really you need to red the smallprint carefully as they are all experts at minimising the amount they end up being liable for, Mapfre in particular have a poor rep but how much of that is down to their dominant position rather than being worse than others is debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭geecee

If you have VHI then i suggest that you should use their multi-trip policy. if you still decide to go independent then do not take the discount for having private health insurance... its only a few euro and is absolutely not worth it!

Believe me if you get stuck in an overseas hospital and need ICU or emergency treatment the last thing you want is to be doing is calling Irish/UK hotlines and arguing with the insurers as they toss you back and forth passing the buck over which of them sends the guarantee letter to the hospital.

It happened to me in Thailand, luckily I was able to use my CC as guarantee whilst I waited 2 days for the insurance companies to agree which of them was paying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I had a very small claim (€45) from multi trip before and it was handled perfectly, no hassle and I buy an annual policy from the each year. Blue Insurance is the underwriter for Multi-trip. I had the premium zero excess policy which was why I bothered to claim at all in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭manshay

theguzman wrote: »
    I had a very small claim (€45) from multi trip before and it was handled perfectly, no hassle and I buy an annual policy from the each year. Blue Insurance is the underwriter for Multi-trip. I had the premium zero excess policy which was why I bothered to claim at all in the first place.
    I had a large claim (over €4k) with multitrip, processed by mapfre. The claim was eventually paid after 4 months but it took a lot of calls and emails to get it sorted. Mapre seem to regularly forget to reply, maybe I was unlucky with them! If I was cynical I would think it was a company policy or maybe they are disorganised!

Advertisement