Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing car from taxi to private.

Options
  • 04-12-2018 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

I bought an ex taxi car and all is well fresh nct no problems car going perfect. It is taxed till end of january 2019 as a taxi, i recieved logbook today and went to price tax online and it says car cant be taxed online it also still says on logbook its classed as taxi. I was going to call tax office but they closed at 3pm so just wondering if any if you motoring gurus on here have the answer to my query?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My understanding is that your not supposed to wait until the PSV motor tax expires to change the vehicle tax classification. Your really supposed to change the classification from PSV to private when the change of ownership is sent off at the time of buying the vehicle and new logbook is issued, which in turn makes the PSV motor tax invalid from that point.

I think you might have to go into the motor tax office to get it switched now. Might be worth ringing them first before making another trip in. Have a look at the logbook and see if has anything on it about changing vehicle classification but I think it probably doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how did it get an NCT if it is still registered as a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PSVs still do a NCT but I think their's are annual rather than every 2 or 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bazz26 wrote: »
    PSVs still do a NCT but I think their's are annual rather than every 2 or 4 years.

Ah i thought PSV did the cvrt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

bazz26 wrote: »
    My understanding is that your not supposed to wait until the PSV motor tax expires to change the vehicle tax classification. Your really supposed to change the classification from PSV to private when the change of ownership is sent off at the time of buying the vehicle and new logbook is issued, which in turn makes the PSV motor tax invalid from that point.

I think you might have to go into the motor tax office to get it switched now. Might be worth ringing them first before making another trip in. Have a look at the logbook and see if has anything on it about changing vehicle classification but I think it probably doesn't.

Thanks for reply i will ring tax office and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Fill in a form in the tax office and give them the reg cert, You'll get your private tax disc over the counter there and then and the new reg cert with private classification in a couple of days. Online renewal should be an option next time it's due for taxing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Sorry Lads but if any of the guys that commented on this see this will they Pm me Want to see how long before it i can insure the car if i only changed it to private from taxi today @ Tax office, it keeps going car unacceptable but exact same car different reg works when trying insurance quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry Lads but if any of the guys that commented on this see this will they Pm me Want to see how long before it i can insure the car if i only changed it to private from taxi today @ Tax office, it keeps going car unacceptable but exact same car different reg works when trying insurance quotes.

Have a look on motortax.ie for the tax rate for the car, when it comes back to normal CO2/emissions tax it should be fine, I'd say 2 or 3 working days, try Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Have a look on motortax.ie for the tax rate for the car, when it comes back to normal CO2/emissions tax it should be fine, I'd say 2 or 3 working days, try Monday.

Thanks i pm the original poster anyway as well just to see. i thought it might have been done straight away. since i did pay for 3 months tax as well today.

Contacted him & he replied thanks

Advertisement