Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cake fail

• 04-12-2018 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭

Mayday! Where can I buy a cake that is like a home-made one?

I made my usual Christmas Cake (the Stork Light Christmas Cake) and for a couple of reasons it didn't come out right: flat, heavy, like a brick and slightly scorched.

(I've made it dozens of times and no problems before)

But the snag is, I always cut the square cake in half and ice the blocks separately, one for us, one for the aged parents.

Shop-bought Christmas cakes, in my (limited) experience, are often soft and mushy of texture and have fondant icing, not the traditional thing at all.

So can anyone tell me, where can I buy a fruitcake that is similar to a home-made one? I'm willing to ice it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Mayday! Where can I buy a cake that is like a home-made one?

I made my usual Christmas Cake (the Stork Light Christmas Cake) and for a couple of reasons it didn't come out right: flat, heavy, like a brick and slightly scorched.

(I've made it dozens of times and no problems before)

But the snag is, I always cut the square cake in half and ice the blocks separately, one for us, one for the aged parents.

Shop-bought Christmas cakes, in my (limited) experience, are often soft and mushy of texture and have fondant icing, not the traditional thing at all.

So can anyone tell me, where can I buy a fruitcake that is similar to a home-made one? I'm willing to ice it myself.

My local Supervalu in Kerry do a gorgeous fruitcake for Christmas; they make the marzipan in house also. The icing however, is indeed fondant but if you really dislike it you could re-ice the cake? Also presumably they have those cakes in store nationwide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@Stargazer7 - Thank you! (Races down to Super-Valu)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You can usually buy some that aren't iced and just had almonds on top - can't tell you where I've seen them as I never buy christmas cakes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, perhaps if you gave your location, people would be better able to help.
    (profile location can't be seen on mobile site)

Anyway, Natural Foods on Paul Street in Cork sell uniced cakes to order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sorry - Dublin - I think I can find what I need at Supervalu :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Sorry - Dublin -)

Why am I not surprised at that?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I made the tea Brack from the cooking club, added a drop of whiskey, came out great, have a few people looking for them off of me, I got the icing and marzipan from lidi( they have them in packets in the baking section), grand cheap tasty alternative, if it helps.

Advertisement