Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oscars 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, Viggo Mortenssen is and was also nominated.
    hmmm how much screen time to they get, I wouldnt consider those two actresses supporting either for the Favourite from the looks of the trailer, or Adam Driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm never a big fan of most of the best actor/actress nominees being made up of portrayals of real people. Only Bradley Cooper's character is fictional in the best actor category.

If anyone needed any more evidence of not to take the Oscars serious then just look at the Best Picture list. Platitudes galore.

is cold war not worthy of a best picutre nom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No, Viggo Mortenssen is and was also nominated.

I would put both as leads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus black panther nominated for best picture is some farce and I say this as a fan. It wouldn't even get into my top 5 superhero films. Pc choice at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

hmmm how much screen time to they get, I wouldnt consider those two actresses supporting either for the Favourite from the looks of the trailer, or Adam Driver

Actually, if Adam is nominated for Support, then surely John David Washington should have gotten a nom for Leading. Driver is always watchable but Washington was no less good in Blackkk.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Paddington 2 and The Death of Stalin have been snubbed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Paddington 2 should win all the awards. And I'm only semi-serious TBH; if there's a more charming, fun film this year I don't want to know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

is cold war not worthy of a best picutre nom?

It's worthy for sure, but foreign language films are hilariously neglected at the Oscars. Like it's extremely unusual that Roma is there this year even - by my reckoning it's the only foreign language film to be nominated for best picture since Amour? Two foreign language films in a decade!

You can usually count dozens of American / English-language films that are more deserving than a lot of the best picture nominees every year... when you add foreign language cinema into the mix it becomes pretty farcical tbh. If something like Shoplifters - a beautiful, accessible film with wide appeal - was in English I'd almost guarantee it'd be among the frontrunners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think Black Panther was nominate for the Big Budget film vote rather than anything else, but you'd kind of wonder why Spiderman Spider Verse wasn't considered for Best Picture over Best Animation, if the oscars are looking for both a popular and diverse film to nominate.

I enjoyed BP but as I enjoyed most other Marvel movies .... yeah including Venom.... well maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No Stan & Ollie :(

No Stan & Ollie :(

May have missed deadline/ remember now that it was up for globes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not that I care about the Oscars, but that line up is extremely poor.

'Black Panther' for best picture? Please... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Elmo wrote: »
    I think Black Panther was nominate for the Big Budget film vote rather than anything else, but you'd kind of wonder why Spiderman Spider Verse wasn't considered for Best Picture over Best Animation, if the oscars are looking for both a popular and diverse film to nominate.

It's solely because Black Panther was something of a cultural phenomenon in the US, a sort of landmark for a film led by African American cast, filmmakers etc... I wouldn't even describe its inclusion as 'political' as such, more just a very America-centric social & cultural phenomenon that the Academy felt like they had to acknowledge somehow. It's not much of a stretch to suggest they were about to invent a whole new category (popular film) for it until they were laughed out of the room :pac:

As very much a Marvel skeptic, Black Panther is probably my favourite of the MCU films (mostly because it's largely actually about something for a change, even if it falls victims to the usual trappings of the franchise elsewhere), but not good enough to punch up there with what should be the best of the best. I think Spider-Verse is far superior and a considerably better film than quite a few of the ones that have made the cut even beyond BP. I'd definitely have preferred to see the latter in the running if a blockbuster was to make the cut (that or MI: Fallout). But then Spider-Verse didn't have anywhere near the pop cultural impact Black Panther does, so it's little surprise things are the way they are (not even getting into the best picture animation bias...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought Black Panther was average at best, but I get why it's such a big deal in the US. It wouldn't surprise me if it wins Best Picture as a kind of honorary Oscar for Feige for making so much money for everyone. I have hard time predicting what else will win. Roma - too foreign too Netflix, The Favourite - too weird, Green Book - too problematic, Bohemian Rhapsody - too uncomfortable, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought Black Panther was average at best, but I get why it's such a big deal in the US. It wouldn't surprise me if it wins Best Picture as a kind of honorary Oscar for Feige for making so much money for everyone. I have hard time predicting what else will win. Roma - too foreign too Netflix, The Favourite - too weird, Green Book - too problematic, Bohemian Rhapsody - too uncomfortable, etc.

I think Roma will take best picture and director

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think Roma will take best picture and director

A lot of stuff going against it, including the fact that it didn't get an editing nom which statistically the Best Picture winner nearly always gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Solo: A Star Wars Story now an Oscar nominated movie (vfx). People who like Solo can now say it's now recognised as one of the elite movies of 2018 !!

Incidentally, only two Star Wars movies have won Academy Awards - Star Wars (1977) won 6 and Empire Strikes Back won 1. The rest were nominated for various Oscars (music/sound/vfx etc), but left empty handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The oscars is fake. It’s all about who spends the most amount of cash promoting their movie. There’s like 7000 people in “the academy”, they haven’t watched a fraction of the movies on the list or much beyond it. It’s a meaningless propaganda machine for celebrities.

Absolute garbage.

so in the movie about racism, the black guy isn't even the co-lead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

The oscars is fake. It’s all about who spends the most amount of cash promoting their movie. There’s like 7000 people in “the academy”, they haven’t watched a fraction of the movies on the list or much beyond it. It’s a meaningless propaganda machine for celebrities.

Absolute garbage.

Since the scandal involving Hoop Dreams getting snubbed for Best Documentary in 1994, the credibility of the Oscars was damaged. The instantaneous backlash and the subsequent investigation gave some interesting insights into the process of how films get nominated. It's a popularity contest, not a subjective quality contest. Vindication for that was Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind. He was a shoe-in for Best Actor that year. Then he had a hissy fit with a TV Producer at the Bafta Awards, got negative press and surprisingly enough he didn't win the Oscar, the merit of his performance became irrelevant and voters gave it to Denzel Washington's phoning-it-in performance in Training Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Thinking more about the expanding of the Best Picture category in 2009, what's the actual point? Does anyone actually think Vice or Black Panther are going to win Best Picture? Really which they kept it at 5 nominations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thinking more about the expanding of the Best Picture category in 2009, what's the actual point? Does anyone actually think Vice or Black Panther are going to win Best Picture? Really which they kept it at 5 nominations.

If black panther was “white Panther” it wouldn’t even be mentioned.

Even if they had a top 20 best picture category, black panther shouldn’t of been in it. There were so many better/superior marvel movies then that it’s not funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

Absolute garbage.

As an aside, when did the word "garbage" make it into the Irish lexicon? I've heard that a lot recently. Funnily enough when describing films.

Wasn't there some sort of controversy with Melissa Leo a few years back for her win for "The Fighter"? Basically she took out a load of ad space herself saying to vote for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm disappointed not to see Three Identical Strangers up for best Documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Absolute garbage.

A decent summary of how it all works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm surprised that Black Panther was nominated. It was a good movie, but not a great movie. I hate to say it, but I suspect this was more of a token nomination bowing to the pressure from the last few Oscar's.

As seen on the video above, the actual nomination process has little to do with the quality of the film, rather the campaigning around it.

I'm honestly saddened that Spider-Verse wasn't put up for Best Picture, because it was a bloody incredible movie from beginning to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sonics2k wrote: »
    As seen on the video above, the actual nomination process has little to do with the quality of the film, rather the campaigning around it.

Same can be said for most vote-based outcomes, including political elections.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/money-and-elections-a-complicated-love-story/

Not that that diminishes the point, I suppose, but the Oscars aren't some particularly corrupt outlier.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Black Panther was nominated. It was a good movie, but not a great movie. I hate to say it, but I suspect this was more of a token nomination bowing to the pressure from the last few Oscar's.

I'm honestly saddened that Spider-Verse wasn't put up for Best Picture, because it was a bloody incredible movie from beginning to end.

It’s all about “diversity”. There were 20 movies last year better than black panther.

Venom wrote: »
    A decent summary of how it all works.
    so how much did moonlight spend on its oscar campaign

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

I have no idea how Roma is getting the acclaim it is receiving. The main female lead in there for Best Actress?!?! She doesn't act!! Jaysus.

I have no idea how Roma is getting the acclaim it is receiving. The main female lead in there for Best Actress?!?! She doesn't act!! Jaysus.

DeficientBothDorking-small.gif

As Hunky Monster said earlier, most Academy members only watch a fraction of the notable films released in a given year. Most of them are too busy making movies to watch them. And when they finally get around to their stack of screeners they tend to prioritise the ones that they've been hearing good things about. Only older members have time to watch everything and go to all the parties.

As for the appeal of Black Panther to the Academy, it's not just that it's "diverse". It's also an easy film for white liberals to get behind since it broadly rejects any kind of black radicalism (represented by Killmonger). But more importantly it's also a very popular and profitable comic book movie made by a man who has made Hollywood a lot of money in recent years. It's exactly the kind of gourmet popcorn movie they had in mind when they expanded the Best Picture category.

El Duda wrote: »
    DeficientBothDorking-small.gif

giphy.gif

I think last year was a stellar year for these type of films.

1. Shape of the water
    2. Three Billboards
    3. Phantom Thread
    4. Dunkirk
    5. Call me by your name

were my top 5.

I'd say that Call Me By Your Name, is far better than any of this years best pic nominees.

Personally I think Roma is among the very best films nominated in the top category this decade: a film I was absolutely beguiled by, and felt the whole thing was crafted with spectacular artistry and care. Then again, last year was exceptional IMO with three uncommonly impressive nominees in Phantom Thread, Call Me By Your Name and Lady Bird. It was overall more good than bad even outside those. The balance just feels askew this year, with a lot of films that really shouldn’t be there and a lot of absentees that should. Heck, even looking at other categories there’s a lot of great films - Minding The Gap, Shoplifters, Isle of Dogs, Spider-Verse, Cold War - that could’ve comfortably been elevated over most of the best picture choices, without getting into those that are barely represented at all.

Still, after a few years where it felt like things were on the right track - after Moonlight’s deserved win and last year’s particularly impressive nominees - the Academy has to drop the ball eventually, as such a flawed organisation is always bound to do. But hey, Roma or The Favourite could still walk away with it and make up for the lacklustre nominations overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So you don't like films then?

It was excellent and rightly deserves the recognition it deserves as does the cast.

I'll be watching it for a second time soon as I feel there is a lot to take in.

What films do you feel should be nominated?

So you don't like films then?

It was excellent and rightly deserves the recognition it deserves as does the cast.

I'll be watching it for a second time soon as I feel there is a lot to take in.

What films do you feel should be nominated?

Yeah I don’t like films...

You don’t like opinions then? You go watch it a 3rd time. Maybe you’ll see your life in that dog turd spoiled water :pac:

How is Bohemian Rhapsody doing so well?

You don’t like films? You don’t like music? You don’t like homosexuals?! :pac:

Turd lover xo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yeah I don’t like films...

You don’t like opinions then? You go watch it a 3rd time. Maybe you’ll see your life in that dog turd spoiled water :pac:

I have no problem with opinions once they're backed up by solid argument and reason.

I appreciate that Roma is not for everyone as it's not mainstream fast paced light entertainment but it's a major piece of cinema, that is beautifully crafted and has a very rewarding and impacting story.

I asked you to name what films you'd like to see nominated but you have not responded but instead just resorted to personal insults.
    You don’t like films? You don’t like music? You don’t like homosexuals?! :pac:

Turd lover xo

Finding Bohemian Rhapsody to be an average, non-Oscar worthy film is not homophobic or anti-music. It's an opinion on a film that handles the music scenes very well but offers nothing else in terms of story or character development.

Thanks again for the insult.

Bohemian Rhapsody is not “Oscar worthy”. I enjoyed the movie as I’m a massive Queen fan but judging at as a movie it’s incredibly flawed. Even ignoring that most of I didn’t happen like the way the movie portrayed.

This happened.

Then this happened.

Then this thing happens.

AIDS

Live Aid

It’s got the worst structure to a movie I’ve seen in a long time. I mean did anyone get anything out of this movie that they didn’t already know. The best part of the movie was the last 20 minutes...and shur you may as well look up the real thing on YouTube.

Oh I must have missed your solid argument and reason when you posted almost an identical response to a film in this very thread, compared to the one of mine you took such issue with :pac:

I must have missed the boards rules that require solid argument and reason with every opinion too!

I posted mine in the film thread btw, wouldn’t wanna derail a thread.

Aww did an insult hurt your feelings? Your response to my post was an insult. If you’re gonna dish it out, accept the replies turd lover.

You’re welcome xo

JohnCreedon81, murpho999, can you both take it to pm please and spare the thread, thanks.

And there goes Bohemian Rhapsody's chances of winning Best Picture. Feel sorry for Malek who is now going to be forced to condemn Singer's actions over and over again for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭LandonRicketts

And there goes Bohemian Rhapsody's chances of winning Best Picture. Feel sorry for Malek who is now going to be forced to condemn Singer's actions over and over again for the next month.

I though Dexter Fletcher took over directing from Singer on it?

• Advertisement

I though Dexter Fletcher took over directing from Singer on it?

Yeah but the film was pretty much in the can at that point. Singer is the only credited director.

Bohemian Rhapsody is not “Oscar worthy”. I enjoyed the movie as I’m a massive Queen fan but judging at as a movie it’s incredibly flawed. Even ignoring that most of I didn’t happen like the way the movie portrayed.

As someone with only a passing interest in Queen during the movie I was thinking, I don't think that happened or they have this out of sequence, wait what?.

Didn't Malek and Singer not have a run in during filming hence why Fletcher was brought on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Even Ant-Man And The Wasp was much better than Black Panther

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Acosta wrote: »
    Even Ant-Man And The Wasp was much better than Black Panther

totally agree - I thought Black Panther was absolutely terrible. CGI was horrible, acting shocking, no real story or direction in the movie.
    We all know why it go so much 'praise' and that is fair enough but as a movie its just cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Elmo wrote: »
    Didn't Malek and Singer not have a run in during filming hence why Fletcher was brought on.

They had runs ins during production but that's not the full reason why he was replaced. Singer was disappearing or not showing up for set, and then in December 2017 he said he needed take time off to tend to his sick mother (think she he'd said she was in New York, but he was then spotted in LA hanging around). The stories coming out about him around #metoo were not helping matters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement