Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oscars 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

And there goes Bohemian Rhapsody's chances of winning Best Picture. Feel sorry for Malek who is now going to be forced to condemn Singer's actions over and over again for the next month.

Since when did sexual misconduct stifle your chances in Hollywood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

According to the BBC, the Academy are not backing down re the James Bulger film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

totally agree - I thought Black Panther was absolutely terrible. CGI was horrible, acting shocking, no real story or direction in the movie.
    We all know why it go so much 'praise' and that is fair enough but as a movie its just cat.

I’m no fan of superhero movies but it’s not even the best one of the last year! Infinity War was better, Spider-Man into the spider verse is almost a masterpiece and even Deadpool 2 was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I have no idea how Roma is getting the acclaim it is receiving. The main female lead in there for Best Actress?!?! She doesn't act!! Jaysus.

Would win my award for most boring movie of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The only surprise win at the SAGs was Black Panther for cast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Synode wrote: »
    Would win my award for most boring movie of the year

OK, so what was your film of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The only surprise win at the SAGs was Black Panther for cast

Black Pandering

murpho999 wrote: »
    Black Panther won the biggest film honor of the night, taking home the best ensemble prize, SAG-AFTRA's equivalent of the best picture award.

Other big SAG Award winners included Glenn Close, named best actress in a leading role for The Wife, and Rami Malek, who was tapped as best actor in a film for Bohemian Rhapsody.

Also on the film side, Emily Blunt won the SAG Award for best supporting actress for A Quiet Place, while Mahershala Ali was named best supporting actor for Green Book.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/2019-sag-award-winners-complete-list-1172263

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

How did Emily Blunt win for A Quiet Place?

Elmo wrote: »
    How did Emily Blunt win for A Quiet Place?

Regina King was not nominated :P

I would put Emily as lead in A Quite Place

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I would put Emily as lead in A Quite Place

It's a very average movie IMO. And yes when I read Micheal Bay's name at the end it put me off even more than when I was watch it. Sandra Bullock's Netflix movie sounds like a different version of the same movie.

Oddly I kind of liked The First Purge (Micheal Bay link), because the ensemble cast were good, the script was crap but at least the cast was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

murpho999 wrote: »

I watched very few films in 2018. I just looked at this 2018 movie list on IMDB and I think I've only seen 6 of the first 100. Of those 6, Ready Player One was my favourite. Then The Christmas Chronicles.

Roma was beautifully shot but it was just far too boring. And I stuck with it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture

It's a fairly weak lineup for Best Picture this year, hope Bohemian Rhapsody gets it rather than the usual boring predictable stuff like Vice. Still, the worst year ever has to be 1998 when Shakespeare in love beat Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Has anybody else seen At Eternity's Gate? I don't think it's getting an Ireland/UK release until March, but it is "available" online. I watched it today, primarily because of Willem Dafoe's Best Actor nomination for his role as Vincent van Gogh. It's a beautiful film, and I loved Dafoe's performance. I actually hope he wins Best Actor. He's been nominated three times previously for Best Supporting Actor, but this is his first Best Actor nomination.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wedwood wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture

It's a fairly weak lineup for Best Picture this year, hope Bohemian Rhapsody gets it rather than the usual boring predictable stuff like Vice. Still, the worst year ever has to be 1998 when Shakespeare in love beat Saving Private Ryan and Life is Beautiful.

Actually the year before isn't great either as Titanic won over Good Will Hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

xtal191 wrote: »

Aiden Gillen ladies and gentleman. Where is his character's accent from? Nobody knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Actually the year before isn't great either as Titanic won over Good Will Hunting.

And LA Confidential.

p to the e wrote: »
    Aiden Gillen ladies and gentleman. Where is his character's accent from? Nobody knows.

Does he ever change is accent? a mid-american Irish person who's lived in London for 20 years accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

On a quiet day, a trivia Oscar quiz.
    A selection of Best Actor winners from the past 40 years. The odd one out in each list and why;

List 1.
    F Murray Abraham (1984), Dustin Hoffman (1988), Daniel Day Lewis (1989), Philip Seymour Hoffman (2005), Gary Oldman (2017).

List 2.
    Robert De Niro (1980), Jeremy Irons (1990), Geoffrey Rush (1996), Jamie Foxx (2004), Matthew McConaughey (2013), Eddie Redmayne (2014).

List 3.
    Ben Kingsley (1982), Adrien Brody (2002), Forest Whitaker (2006), Sean Penn (2008), Colin Firth (2010), Daniel Day Lewis (2012).

List 1.
    F Murray Abraham (1984), Dustin Hoffman (1988), Daniel Day Lewis (1989), Philip Seymour Hoffman (2005), Gary Oldman (2017).

posthumous

List 1 - all are real life people except Hoffman who was instead based on a real life person (Kim Peek).
    List 2 - DeNiro the only second time nominee/winner? The others are first time nominees and also first time winners.
    List 3 - All play roles of leadership except Brody?

valoren wrote: »
    List 1 - all are real life people except Hoffman who was instead based on a real life person (Kim Peek).
    List 2 - DeNiro the only second time nominee/winner? The others are first time nominees and also first time winners.
    List 3 - All play roles of leadership except Brody?

List 1, yes, only Hoffman's character was fictional.
    List 2, no.
    List 3, yes, all but Brody were political leaders of some type.

List 2.
    Robert De Niro (1980), Jeremy Irons (1990), Geoffrey Rush (1996), Jamie Foxx (2004), Matthew McConaughey (2013), Eddie Redmayne (2014).

portrays a murder?

List 2.

portrays a murder?

Again, no. Not what I had in mind. :)

• Advertisement

List 2.

Disabilities or Illness as a plot point in the movie?

Jeremy Irons (1990) - diabetes
    Geoffrey Rush (1996) - mental illness
    Jamie Foxx (2004) - blindness
    Matthew McConaughey (2013) - Aids
    Eddie Redmayne (2014) - ALS

So De Niro is the odd one out?

List 2.

The real life person was still alive when the actor collected the award except for Matthew McConaughey's character?

List 2.

The real life person was still alive when the actor collected the award except for Matthew McConaughey's character?

Bingo!

When setting the question, I would have thought only De Niro (La Motta) would have fitted the criteria - it was a surprise when there were others alive also.

Odd one out.

Helen Hunt - As Good as it Gets (1997)
    Katherine Hepburn - On Golden Pond (1981)
    Jane Fonda - Coming Home (1978)
    Elizabeth Taylor - Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf (1966)
    Louise Fletcher - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Odd one out.

Helen Hunt - As Good as it Gets (1997)
    Katherine Hepburn - On Golden Pond (1981)
    Jane Fonda - Coming Home (1978)
    Elizabeth Taylor - Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf (1966)
    Louise Fletcher - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Elizabeth Taylor-co star didn’t win best actor that year as well.

• Advertisement

Elizabeth Taylor-co star didn’t win best actor that year as well.

Spot on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Oscars were unable to find a replacement host for Kevin Hart and are officially going hostless this year, for the first time in 30 years.

The Oscars were unable to find a replacement host for Kevin Hart and are officially going hostless this year, for the first time in 30 years.

If only they had the stones to get Ricky. The spike in numbers would be off the charts. Instead it’s going to reach a new viewing low...

Roma the big winner at the Baftas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

http://thr.cm/TUXZd9

Confirmation they’re relegating four awards (editing?!!! cinematography?!!!) to commercial breaks. **** the Academy at this stage quite frankly - hope their broadcast numbers fall even lower this year with cheap, misguided and cynical moves like this.

The Oscars are the only time of the year the year technical achievements like hair & make-up are celebrated in front of such a huge audience. Terrible shame to see such essential categories being ‘downgraded’. Shameful move.

http://thr.cm/TUXZd9

Confirmation they’re relegating four awards (editing?!!! cinematography?!!!) to commercial breaks. **** the Academy at this stage quite frankly - hope their broadcast numbers fall even lower this year with cheap, misguided and cynical moves like this.

The Oscars are the only time of the year the year technical achievements like hair & make-up are celebrated in front of such a huge audience. Terrible shame to see such essential categories being ‘downgraded’. Shameful move.

Theres probably no minorities in the nominations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Go home Oscars, you're drunk. Effectively relegating cinematography is a ludicruous decision, it's the very heart of cinema. Hey ho, it slips from one calamity to another at this stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

To be fair, they are saying they will still be televised albeit in edited form later in the show and streamed live on their website. And which 4 technical categories get this treatment will apparently change every year.

I still oppose it, especially for editing and cinematography, and hope some of the presenters/winners give ABC/Disney sh*t on air for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

American TV :pac:

Soon, it'll be 80% adverts and 20% content.

I remember watching 'The Exorcist 2' in New York years ago. A two hour film stretched to three, because there was an ad break every ten minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Bit of a disgrace that. Editing and cinematography are amongst the most meaningful awards handed out on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

excellent editing can make all the difference to a film imo.
    relegating these talents to the ad break really says a lot about those who make these decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

But no one paysbattention to those categories on movie posters or DVD cover blurbs.

They should just meld the acting awards instead of cutting out air time for the technical categories.

Have one acting prize for a stand alone outstanding performance (Best Performance by an "Actor"). It could be the leading role or even a supporting role.

An additional award for Cast performance based on the subjective performances of a minimum of four selected Actors in a film. The four selected Actors would each get an award.

The whole equality angle would go down a treat. There would be no "segregation" of the sexes either which would also be 'a triumph' for liberal Hollywood.

Also the acting awards are usually a straight copy and paste of the Screen Actors Guild awards as is, there are typically no surprises come Oscar night. To have a wider pool competing for that sole acting prize would give the Oscars the viewing/interest edge it needs. For example taking last year, between Gary Oldman, Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Allison Janney who would have won the Best Acting award? That's the kind of interest and debate the Acadamy needs to be fostering. And each of the four also won a SAG award last year practically signposting who would win the Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The whole equality angle would go down a treat. There would be no "segregation" of the sexes either which would also be 'a triumph' for liberal Hollywood.

Would go down a treat until the single award is won by a man (SEXIST PATRIARCHY!!11) or, heaven forbid, a woman (PC BRIGADE GONE MAD!!!1one)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/all-oscar-categories-to-air-live-after-hollywood-protest-1203141496/

And the Academy backs down after a well justified backlash, and will now air all awards as usual. They didn’t expect the A-list complaints, Variety reports.

filters wrote: »
    Don't take a genius to see the pros have been paid money for favourable reviews

No matter how many times people say this, it remains complete conspiratorial hogwash (it does take a genius, it seems, to come up with any evidence this is taking place).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

No matter how many times people say this, it remains complete conspiratorial hogwash (it does take a genius, it seems, to come up with any evidence this is taking place).

What I find odd is the rating of some films on the internet listing sites seem to start crazy high and nobody has even seen the film yet.

Then there will be a hundred or so reviews that seem to be written by a secondary school film review student all day how great it was.
    Then when the real reviews written by real people start showing up it’s like , “this film blows don’t waste your time” or “good film really enjoyed it”

There’s something going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

On tonight. Looking set to be pretty underwhelming. All major awards bar best picture seem sewn up, no host, poor standard of films this year overall in my opinion.

Malek being such a big favourite for best actor is a strange one. Really didn't care for his performance and thought Bohemian Rhapsody as a film was woefully poor.

Morrison J wrote: »
    On tonight. Looking set to be pretty underwhelming. All major awards bar best picture seem sewn up, no host, poor standard of films this year overall in my opinion.

Malek being such a big favourite for best actor is a strange one. Really didn't care for his performance and thought Bohemian Rhapsody as a film was woefully poor.

Colman could cause an upset for Close or Gaga for best actress

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Some significant live market movements for Best Dir award to: Yorgos Lanthimos.

Would like to see Bohemian Rhapsody take best movie also an outsider.

Advertisement