Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oscars 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Green Book as best film, that's absolutely hilarious. It's a passable but extremely predictable 2 hour buddy flick, as soon as
    Viggo Mortensen's character mentioned getting home in time for Christmas you just absolutely knew the film was going to end with Mahershala Ali being invited in for dinner because they were best buds now.
    As pointed out above, it does absolutely nothing new or interesting with the racism theme either.

I thought Moonlight was pandering but at least that was your standard Oscar fare where everybody got to act really hard, this is something you else. A jump the shark moment for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Hollywood sending a message to Netflix. Roma was a flawless film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Green Book as best film, that's absolutely hilarious. It's a passable but extremely predictable 2 hour buddy flick, as soon as
    Viggo Mortensen's character mentioned getting home in time for Christmas you just absolutely knew the film was going to end with Mahershala Ali being invited in for dinner because they were best buds now.
    As pointed out above, it does absolutely nothing new or interesting with the racism theme either.

I thought Moonlight was pandering but at least that was your standard Oscar fare where everybody got to act really hard, but this is something you else. A jump the shark moment for me.

Not really a great crop overall and but it did tick the right boxes. Favourite was too left field and most of the others just average. Don't get the fuss over Black Panther, I actually preferred the occasionally misfiring Blackklansman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pixelburp wrote: »
    On reflection, should Green Book be a surprise? Hollywood - specifically the Oscars - really love a reductionist, manipulative "a white and black person solve racism"; Driving Miss Daisy is nearly 30 years old so at least parallels with people's obsession with nostalgia that a broad remake of a 30 year old film wins the Oscar.
    Not a huge surprise.
    Driving miss daisy was so middle of the road.
    I was wondering what it was up against that year.
    Driving miss daisy was appaling.
    I had a look what it was up against, I would have taken any of them over that rubbish.

Born on the Fourth of July
    Dead Poets Society
    Field of Dreams
    My Left Foot

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Hollywood sending a message to Netflix. Roma was a flawless film.
    Struggled to finish it. Too long, too slow and not a wholly interesting story. That said some beautiful photography.

I thought Moonlight was pandering but at least that was your standard Oscar fare where everybody got to act really hard, this is something you else. A jump the shark moment for me.
    I think your thinking of The Meg....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A jump the shark moment for me.

It’s the opposite if anything - the Academy has long had an institutional bias towards broad, feelgood but also much derided films about race relations. Green Book sits snugly alongside the likes of Crash in that respect. I’d go as far as say it’s the most wearily predictable, Oscar-baity winner in a good few years - which is disappointing as a few recent years had shown some tentative steps towards more deserving winners (I would in fact suggest Moonlight was one of the most unusual and off-brand Best Picture winners given how different it was stylistically and tonally to what usually triumphs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ill never understand how Rami Malek won in such a hallmark movie with a bigger budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

sky88 wrote: »
    ill never understand how Rami Malek won in such a hallmark movie with a bigger budget

Because Freddie died of AIDS, Oscar loves AIDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

gmisk wrote: »
    Not a huge surprise.
    I had a look what it was up against, I would have taken any of them over that rubbish.

Dead Poets Society
    Field of Dreams
    My Left Foot

Born on the Fourth of July should have won, maybe My Left Foot and Driving Miss Daisy after that, but Dead Poets Society and Field of Dreams are both as hokey as Miss Daisy. Interestingly all of those movies rely on a heavy dose of nostalgia.

Elmo wrote: »
    Born on the Fourth of July should have won, maybe My Left Foot and Driving Miss Daisy after that, but Dead Poets Society and Field of Dreams are both as hokey as Miss Daisy. Interestingly all of those movies rely on a heavy dose of nostalgia.
    That is probably about right, I havent seen any of them in a long time tbh.
    I remember fourth of july was superb though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Because Freddie died of AIDS, Oscar loves AIDS.

But it didn't show any of his struggles with the disease. That part where tells them all that he has AIDS before Live Aid? Pure bullshít - he didn't get diagnosed with the disease until 1987. Also, any movie about Freddie Mercury that doesn't have a party scene with a dwarf walking around with a tray of cocaine on his head is an abject failure in my eyes.

But it didn't show any of his struggles with the disease. That part where tells them all that he has AIDS before Live Aid? Pure bullshít - he didn't get diagnosed with the disease until 1987. Also, any movie about Freddie Mercury that doesn't have a party scene with a dwarf walking around with a tray of cocaine on his head is an abject failure in my eyes.
    The timeline was all over the place in that film, the live aid concert was the thing that really saved it for me.

It was produced by Brian May and Roger Taylor so I was kind of expecting a sanitized version, which is what it was.

Also, any movie about Freddie Mercury that doesn't have a party scene with a dwarf walking around with a tray of cocaine on his head is an abject failure in my eyes.

You couldn't do that nowadays!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'm thrilled for Green Book! Very rare that my favourite movie wins the best picture gong. The salty reaction from the Twitter brigade makes it even better :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That the Academy loved Green Book is not a surprise at all. That it won despite a lot of negative campaigning against it for not conforming to modern woke/pc notions of race is a big surprise. My Twitter timeline is currently full of people wailing about it being a racist white saviour movie. I think it won in part because Roma/The Favourite split the arthouse vote.

I'm glad tbh. If Roma had won it would be getting attacked for erasing the voice of indigenous women etc etc. I'd much rather people were crapping on Green Book.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Twitter is a cesspit. It's sad what its become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wow Rami Malek best actor, that's laughable! Almost as bad as Sandra Bullock for the Blind Side.

That the Academy loved Green Book is not a surprise at all. That it won despite a lot of negative campaigning against it for not conforming to modern woke/pc notions of race is a big surprise. My Twitter timeline is currently full of people wailing about it being a racist white saviour movie. I think it won in part because Roma/The Favourite split the arthouse vote.

I'm glad tbh. If Roma had won it would be getting attacked for erasing the voice of indigenous women etc etc. I'd much rather people were crapping on Green Book.

It's likely to have been other companies pushing their films at work too. Every year this happens. A film generates good reviews, looks set up to compete or take the top prize and people go looking for a thread to unravel. Outside of the identity stuff it is a more watchable film than most of the rest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Delighted for Green Book. It shouldn't be a mark against a movie that it is enjoyable, and not just stamping a message into your skull for two hours.

Nothing against Remi Malek, but he won out against a better portrayal of a musician in a better movie about one, with Bradley Cooper. I can't understand the Oscar love for Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Delighted for Green Book. It shouldn't be a mark against a movie that it is enjoyable, and not just stamping a message into your skull for two hours.

Nothing against Remi Malek, but he won out against a better portrayal of a musician in a better movie about one, with Bradley Cooper. I can't understand the Oscar love for Bohemian Rhapsody.
    I thought Bradley Cooper was much better personally.
    What happened to a star is born it seemed to have a huge amount of buzz but it just disappeared (bar best song).
    I also loved Sam Elliott in that film as well.

I'm always surprised by the positive reactions to Black Panther when it always seemed to me to pander to racial stereotypes. This article says it in a much more eloquent way than I ever could.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2018/02/26/black-panther-offers-a-regressive-neocolonial-vision-of-africa/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.33082442f354

Based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name from the fictional African state of Wakanda, the most technologically advanced nation in the world but which apparently prefers to hide its light under the bushel of Third World country status, it has been praised for its depiction of an Africa not defined by colonization or by its relationship with Europe. Wakanda does not pose as a backdrop for white struggles and passions. “It breaks with the spirit of derision that has always saturated Hollywood films about Africa,” gushes Brent Staples in the New York Times.

However, the truth is, the movie is little more than a marvel of marketing. Far from offering a “redemptive counter-mythology,” as Jelani Cobb writes in the New Yorker, the movie trots out many of the same destructive myths about Africans that circulate the globe. At heart, it is a movie about a divided, tribalized continent, discovered by a white man who wants nothing more than to take its mineral resources, a continent run by a wealthy, power-hungry, feuding and feudalist elite, where a nation with the most advanced tech and weapons in the world nonetheless has no thinkers to develop systems of transitioning rulership that do not involve lethal combat or coup d’etat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Not a huge surprise.

Dead Poets Society
    Field of Dreams
    My Left Foot

All of those pretty well known and watched today.

True, I dare say they still stand up a lot better than Driving Miss Daisy.

The timeline was all over the place in that film, the live aid concert was the thing that really saved it for me.

It was produced by Brian May and Roger Taylor so I was kind of expecting a sanitized version, which is what it was.

The Live Aid section was just a well choreographed impersonation and nothing else. I watched the real thing on Youtube straight after and its night and day in terms of the charsima that oozes off of Mercury during the performance. Malek's performance had none of that charisma at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I thought it absolutely tried to hammer home a message for two hours and that message was fairly trite.

cian68 wrote: »
    I thought it absolutely tried to hammer home a message for two hours and that message was fairly trite.

It was a story based on a trip that took place in the 1960s. Hard to avoid the social commentary.

Dead Poets and Field of Dreams?

I hated Dead Poets Society with a passion, what an insufferable film.

Not that I've seen Miss Daisy in a while.

I'd watch all of them before I'd ever consider watching Driving Miss Daisy again.

I'd watch all of them before I'd ever consider watching Driving Miss Daisy again.

Poor Miss Daisy, what did she ever do but be a small minded racist in southern united states of america,

• Advertisement

Is Bradley disliked. Or Gaga?

Both performances were great. Just watched it this weekend in fact.

Dead Poets and Field of Dreams?

I hated Dead Poets Society with a passion, what an insufferable film.

Not that I've seen Miss Daisy in a while.

Yeh. DPS is a bit twee. Field of dreams has its charms though.

Yeh. DPS is a bit twee. Field of dreams has its charms though.

It still occasionally shows up on a Sunday afternoon. Perfect for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I will only start repecting the Oscars again when an animated film wins best picture. I’m still unhappy Wall-e didn’t win 11 years ago. You could also make claims for any of the Toy Story films, Studio Ghibli output, The Iron Giant and especially Beauty & the Beast.

I will only start repecting the Oscars again when an animated film wins best picture. I’m still unhappy Wall-e didn’t win 11 years ago. You could also make claims for any of the Toy Story films, Studio Ghibli output, The Iron Giant and especially Beauty & the Beast.
    Spiderman into the spiderverse was definitely one of the best films of 2018 for me. Hard to believe Wall-E didnt even get a nomination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They'd have to shutter 'Best Animated Feature' for that to happen, and that's unlikely, especially as AFAIK, that category was started in response to Disney's repeated failures to capture a 'Best Picture' during its so-called 'Renaissance' period and the open attempts to garner awards kudos through Pocahontas / Hunchback of Notre Dame.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Tbh a number of the categories seem so arbitrary as to be meaningless to me - like segregating animated or foreign films into their own categories, or separating "best performance" awards by gender.

The big frustration for me is the way that the animated film award may as well just have Disney stamped onto it. Big Hero 6 was good, but the Academy can away and shyte if they think it was anywhere near as good as either Song Of The Sea or Tale Of The Princess Kaguya, for example. Or Zootopia over The Red Turtle or Kubo & The Two Strings. Or, IMO, Coco over The Breadwinner. I haven't seen Into The Spiderverse yet but suspect I'll feel the same way about it in relation to Isle Of Dogs, too.

But then, they don't seem to know what they mean for some awards - in the same way that "Best Picture" sometimes means broad appeal and sometimes means excellent filmmaking (and sometimes both, and sometimes neither), "Best animated feature" at least half the time has a silent "for kids, because what selfrespecting adult watches cartoons?" hanging off the end...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fysh wrote: »
    I haven't seen Into The Spiderverse yet but suspect I'll feel the same way about it in relation to Isle Of Dogs, too.

Honestly they had an exceptional animated line-up this year so I don't think it's as jarring as other years have been. I preferred Isle of Dogs personally, but Spiderverse is a genuinely exceptional film and a winner I'd find hard to take any issue with - in fact, delighted a film so stylistically audacious was deservedly rewarded. I'd have been very pleased to see Mirai win either (even though it's one of the weaker Hosoda films) and Incredibles 2 would have been a good contender in a year that didn't have a clearly superior animated superhero film.

But you're right: the whole sub-category business is arbitrary. Like when foreign films only manage to break into the Best Picture category once a decade or so - proof that they can make the cut, but bizarrely don't more often. There's never any year when a host of foreign films aren't among the year's best - hell, it's hardly like Roma or the four other films in the foreign language category were the only great foreign language films from last year. The cynic in me would suggest there's still an institutional aversion in the Academy to both foreign and animated films - a lot of the membership probably just don't watch the ****ing things.

I haven't seen Into The Spiderverse yet but suspect I'll feel the same way about it in relation to Isle Of Dogs, too.

I thought Isle of Dogs was a load of poo myself - granted I was wrecked when I was watching it so I might have to force myself to watch it again to properly make my mind up about it.

Into the Spiderverse was a fantastic spectacle and the way animation echo the printing techniques used in comic books through it's use of dot patterns and stripes was a beautiful touch. The story was a fair bit cliche ridden but I honestly didn't really care because I found it such a blast.

• Advertisement

Tbh a number of the categories seem so arbitrary as to be meaningless to me - like segregating animated or foreign films into their own categories, or separating "best performance" awards by gender.

Best foreign film goes back to the very start of the Academy although it became annual from 1956 on. Not sure what your point is on gender. The aim of the Academy is to reward people, nowadays as many as they can and there is no way any awards body which does separate into gender would consider that.

Wasn't Beauty and The Beast the reason for the Animation category, some years feel like they are just grasping at straws, it lost to Science of the Lambs.
    Best Picture
    The Silence of the Lambs – Edward Saxon, Kenneth Utt and Ron Bozman, producersdouble-dagger
    Beauty and the Beast – Don Hahn, producer
    Bugsy – Mark Johnson, Barry Levinson and Warren Beatty, producers
    JFK – A. Kitman Ho and Oliver Stone, producers
    The Prince of Tides – Barbra Streisand and Andrew S. Karsch, producers

Double-Dagger's been around for a while :pac:

Spider verse was great.

I can see a wave of sanitised pop pap being made in the wake of Bohemian Rhapsody that will erase all the problematic parts of the rock stars they portray.

'Hmm, should we show that time the band ripped the clothes off that female journalist and were only stopped when the manager restrained them or that time the guitarist stuck that fourteen year old in his mansion to avoid statutory rape charges... hmm, tricky. I know! We'll just show a playful montage of them making Stairway to Heaven!!! Mud Shark? Never heard of him...'

I'm interested to see what happens with the Dirt and how much they've kept in that movie because Motley Crue come across as absolute scumbags in that book.

I can see a wave of sanitised pop pap being made in the wake of Bohemian Rhapsody that will erase all the problematic parts of the rock stars they portray.

Upcoming Elton John biopic, looks cringy.

'Hmm, should we show that time the band ripped the clothes off that female journalist and were only stopped when the manager restrained them or that time the guitarist stuck that fourteen year old in his mansion to avoid statutory rape charges... hmm, tricky. I know! We'll just show a playful montage of them making Stairway to Heaven!!! Mud Shark? Never heard of him...'

I'm interested to see what happens with the Dirt and how much they've kept in that movie because Motley Crue come across as absolute scumbags in that book.
    The trailer for this film looks utterly.....abysmal, it has been in the works for a long time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOp5ROn1HE

The fact it is coming to netflix isnt always a good sign either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Spike Lee making an arse of himself, again, which is some feat in itself.

• Advertisement

The trailer for this film looks utterly.....abysmal, it has been in the works for a long time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOp5ROn1HE

The fact it is coming to netflix isnt always a good sign either....

'Hey guys, let's make a film about Motley Crue based on their book, The Dirt!!! It'll be wild! All that messed up drinking and the drugs and all those groupies!!! I know, it's going to be great, I just gave them a fortune for the rights! Roooock on! We're going for maximum sex, drugs and... wait a minute, what's that hashtag that's trending... metoo? What's that abo.. oh, shít, abort! ABORT!!!'

Upcoming Elton John biopic, looks cringy.
    It looks bad.
    Plus Dexter Fletcher is directing who took over the reigns of Bohemian Rhapsody after Singer was kicked off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do people still care about the Oscars?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Twitter is a toxic waste dump and should be ignored.

Everybody understands the formula for an Oscar winning picture these days. If you're not hitting the checklist you've only yourself to blame for a failure to bank some gold.
    1) Somebody with an unrecognised talent has to overcome something to become lauded for being exceptional.
    2) Have a movie star deliver a 'transformative performance'. (stick a big prosthetic nose on them).
    3) At the end of the movie the main character must deliver a rousing and inspiring speech to really hammer home whatever simplistic message lies at the emotional core of the movie.
    4) Bonus points if it's period piece.
    5) Bonus Bonus points if the movie offers the opportunity for everybody loudly applauding to wear some sort of ribbon to support a cause while doing so.
    6) Bonus Bonus Bonus points- Make the movie about 'the business', Hollywood loves a circle-jerk.
    7) MAKE F'ING MONEY! Nothing succeeds in Hollywood quite like success.

7 has become a real problem for the Oscars, over the last decade as mid-budget movies get squeezed out of theatres in favour of blockbusters.
    The primary reason that viewing numbers have been sliding is because the audience has no horse in the race to back because the general public probably hasn’t seen more than one of those nominated films, and if they have that film was probably Bohemian Rhapsody. So it’s no surprise that turned out to be a big winner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wasn't Beauty and The Beast the reason for the Animation category, some years feel like they are just grasping at straws, it lost to Science of the Lambs.

Double-Dagger's been around for a while :pac:

Spider verse was great.

Best Animation didn't come in officially until 2001 (fun fact, Shrek 1 was the first winner), but yeah I believe it was an intentional strategy by Disney to create a 'Best Picture' film; IIRC, Hunchback of Notre Dame was a more brazen attempt by the studio to make a 'serious' piece, as that particular film was quite dark and complex (talking gargoyles notwithstanding).

• Advertisement
Advertisement