Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oscars 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

conorhal wrote: »
    Everybody understands the formula for an Oscar winning picture these days. If you're not hitting the checklist you've only yourself to blame for a failure to bank some gold.
    1) Somebody with an unrecognised talent has to overcome something to become lauded for being exceptional.
    2) Have a movie star deliver a 'transformative performance'. (stick a big prosthetic nose on them).
    3) At the end of the movie the main character must deliver a rousing and inspiring speech to really hammer home whatever simplistic message lies at the emotional core of the movie.
    4) Bonus points if it's period piece.
    5) Bonus Bonus points if the movie offers the opportunity for everybody loudly applauding to wear some sort of ribbon to support a cause while doing so.
    6) Bonus Bonus Bonus points- Make the movie about 'the business', Hollywood loves a circle-jerk.
    7) MAKE F'ING MONEY! Nothing succeeds in Hollywood quite like success.

8) Never go full retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I don’t watch the oscars because it is so political..everyone going on about ‘the wall’ or whatever is cool to be against that year.

I watch the dresses and see who won etc to escape all that crap for a little while, so try to screen how I view it.

Anyone else oddly uncomfortable watching Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga ?

Loved the movie ..and that acting on the movie was great ...but on stage at the oscars in front of his partner ...just found it OTT and weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Is Olivia Coleman the first Peep Show actor to win an Oscar? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do people still care about the Oscars?

As entertainment for the masses? No, not really anymore as the falling ratings show. But they still matter in the film industry where being recognised by your peers can mean a great deal to filmmakers and their careers and can have a big impact on the kind of films that get made in the future. The Academy's choices don't always reflect popular or critical tastes but then never really did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Best Animation didn't come in officially until 2001 (fun fact, Shrek 1 was the first winner), but yeah I believe it was an intentional strategy by Disney to create a 'Best Picture' film; IIRC, Hunchback of Notre Dame was a more brazen attempt by the studio to make a 'serious' piece, as that particular film was quite dark and complex (talking gargoyles notwithstanding).

Ironically Dreamworks won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

gmisk wrote: »
    The trailer for this film looks utterly.....abysmal, it has been in the works for a long time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOp5ROn1HE

The fact it is coming to netflix isnt always a good sign either....

I thought this was a piss take at first, á la "Steel Panther". Oh dear, oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Do people still care about the Oscars?

It all completely awful and irrelevant... Until someone you like wins. Then you go mad on social media and say how amazing it is to see them win... despite the fact that your previous 50 tweets are all about how awful the Oscars are.

In short. People are incredibly fickle these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Olivia Coleman the first Peep Show actor to win an Oscar? :D

She is so likeable, funny and quirky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Best Editing for Bohemian Rhapsody!!! Wtf? 52 cuts in one 82 second clip.

https://twitter.com/pramitheus/status/1089188260071514112?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Extremely short shot lengths are pretty normal these days. I'm a bit perplexed why Twitter has decided to make a big hoo-ha out of this with Bohemian. I mean, yes, they are constantly cutting to reaction shots of the other band members, which I assume was the price of them getting the rights to the songs. The alternative was a film about Freddie's drug use and gay sex parties with no Queen songs.

Bohemian is a perfectly competent and passable piece of entertainment that nobody will remember 10 years from now. People on Twitter just wants to sh*t on it because of Singer even though he wasn't involved in the editing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

With a very British sense of self deprecation and humour.

I still think the guy who played super Hans deserved the Oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Roma could have done with an editor like that.

Dante7 wrote: »
    Best Editing for Bohemian Rhapsody!!! Wtf? 52 cuts in one 82 second clip.

https://twitter.com/pramitheus/status/1089188260071514112?s=19

Whats up with Remi Malak's teeth. Weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

These celebs are nauseating....

I got a listen to Colman's speech for a minute or two. Puke.....fake ass emotional nonsense; the problem with these actors is that they don't know when not to fooking act!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Whats up with Remi Malak's teeth. Weird

Presume they're prosthetic? Mercury had a prominent set of delph and was known to be self conscious about them

Lackey wrote: »
    I don’t watch the oscars because it is so political..everyone going on about ‘the wall’ or whatever is cool to be against that year.

I watch the dresses and see who won etc to escape all that crap for a little while, so try to screen how I view it.

Anyone else oddly uncomfortable watching Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga ?

Loved the movie ..and that acting on the movie was great ...but on stage at the oscars in front of his partner ...just found it OTT and weird.

I think I am in the camp that wants them to have an affair #TeamCoopGaga :p sorry Irina, they have amazing chemistry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

Roma could have done with an editor like that.

Some multi angle HD views of the dog turds may have just nudged it to be watchable instead of painstakingly dull :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I think I am in the camp that wants them to have an affair #TeamCoopGaga :p sorry Irina, they have amazing chemistry

I can't stand Gaga after watching that documentary about her on Netflix. Such a self absorbed twit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I can't stand Gaga after watching that documentary about her on Netflix. Such a self absorbed twit.

Fantastic voice, whatever else you might say about her.

• Advertisement

But a very talented twit :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

She really is an incredibly likeable person, and fantastic actor; glad she's getting some international exposure. She might end up starring in some films I'm more likely to watch :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I loved Colman’s speech. I have never seen anything to suggest that she’s anything other than genuinely gobsmacked and humble to be where she is. It’s extremely hard to fake being so natural and down-to-earth, so my natural conclusion is that she is so natural and down-to-earth. That she’s an astonishingly accomplished actor is the icing on the cake :)

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1099968068602740736

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I loved Colman’s speech. I have never seen anything to suggest that she’s anything other than genuinely gobsmacked and humble to be where she is. It’s extremely hard to fake being so natural and down-to-earth, so my natural conclusion is that she is so natural and down-to-earth. That she’s an astonishingly accomplished actor is the icing on the cake :)

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1099968068602740736

She always came across as a normal person caught up in the showbiz game. I have no doubt she's not acting.

To think she started in Peep Show. Excellent in that.

She always came across as a normal person caught up in the showbiz game. I have no doubt she's not acting.

To think she started in Peep Show. Excellent in that.

See the Oscars do matter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

is_that_so wrote: »
    Fantastic voice, whatever else you might say about her.

And quite the pianist

• Advertisement

I thought the rumours that she had a pianist were quashed?

Oh...

When a super hero movie is winning multiple oscars, it’s time to switch off permanently from Hollywood. They are eating their own children. 10 years from now I wouldn’t be surprised if the Oscars is cancelled.

For the first year ever I didn’t care to check the results and had no desire to watch. I used to love the oscars and the globes. All they do now is take the piss out of Liev Schreiber and Glenn Close by nominating them every year and never letting them win.

We are slipping into a dark age for film, it’s getting run by thought police now. Product placement is coming in the form of social justice agendas, I hope it finds it way out. Praise Jesus for Netflix and high quality tv drama!

Why was the song from Black Panther not performed by anyone?

Finally got round to Bohemian Rhapsody. Beyond the songs and his performance I really can't see any merit in it. Pedestrian and just plain dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Finally got round to Bohemian Rhapsody. Beyond the songs and his performance I really can't see any merit in it. Pedestrian and just plain dull.

It was like the majority of films these days, hyped up too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

When a super hero movie is winning multiple oscars, it’s time to switch off permanently from Hollywood. They are eating their own children. 10 years from now I wouldn’t be surprised if the Oscars is cancelled.

For the first year ever I didn’t care to check the results and had no desire to watch. I used to love the oscars and the globes. All they do now is take the piss out of Liev Schreiber and Glenn Close by nominating them every year and never letting them win.

We are slipping into a dark age for film, it’s getting run by thought police now. Product placement is coming in the form of social justice agendas, I hope it finds it way out. Praise Jesus for Netflix and high quality tv drama!

Would Netflix not be worse by your own criteria?

Why was the song from Black Panther not performed by anyone?

I will now preform a 1970s cartoon retro style black panther theme

Go Black Panther Go
    Panther Panther Panther
    All the world's waiting for you
    and the power you possess

Da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da

Black Panther, Black Panther,
    Does whatever a panther can
    Friendly neighborhood Black Panther

Thank you, one of those days.

Liev Schreiber has never been nominated for an Oscar

They got so much real stuff wrong and jumping around the timeline fro cinematic effect didn't help. Was disappointed with the trailer and put off watching all of it. Now I see why.

megaten wrote: »
    Would Netflix not be worse by your own criteria?

Netflix is in my good books as Im watching Suburra Season 2 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Some outfits you could almost see the star's nipples.

Jason Momoa, you should be ashamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I found the opposite. I had loads of people in work, social media etc saying with a great film it was whilst I had just read awful reviews about it.

It's a film that appealed to the non-thinking film type masses. Ticked all their boxes whilst the likes of Roma would be viewed as boring, slow, and terrible by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

El Duda wrote: »
    Liev Schreiber has never been nominated for an Oscar
    Poster said Golden Globes as well, he has been nominated 5 times I think and not won.
    Close has won 3 golden globes, but never an oscar (7 noms).

In fairness hasnt Meryl Streep been nominated for an insane amount of oscars and only won a few?

Genuinely a bit lost with below line.
    Hollywood will always follow the money that isnt something new.

There have been some brilliant films released this year, I think you just have to search them out sometimes.

Product placement is coming in the form of social justice agendas, I hope it finds it way out

murpho999 wrote: »
    I found the opposite. I had loads of people in work, social media etc saying with a great film it was whilst I had just read awful reviews about it.

It's a film that appealed to the non-thinking film type masses. Ticked all their boxes whilst the likes of Roma would be viewed as boring, slow, and terrible by them.
    Roma is two of those things but it is not terrible.

Apparently Rami fell off the stage with his Oscar, is the curse starting already :p

• Advertisement

It was none of those and was the best film of 2019 for me.

I enjoyed it fine to be honest (not my film of the year by any means), I think it would however have a lot more impact on a cinema screen than on a normal home tv though.

I personally would have loved to see Leave no trace get some nominations but it was probably too low key.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So to head off the inevitable rancour over next year's Oscars, can we just give Olivia Colman all the awards? Feels like the only way to guarantee universal agreement :D

murpho999 wrote: »
    It was none of those and was the best film of 2019 for me.
    Not for me. Relief when it was over. I actually expected something a whole lot better. Of what was nominated The Favourite, Green book and Blackklansman to an extent.

gmisk wrote: »
    I enjoyed it fine to be honest (not my film of the year by any means), I think it would however have a lot more impact on a cinema screen than on a normal home tv though.

I personally would have loved to see Leave no trace get some nominations but it was probably too low key.
    Roma is a Netflix production and only in cinemas briefly to get a nomination. It's a TV thing and I have the TV for it! Still didn't help! Yeah heard that mentioned. Also saw Cold War mentioned as being better than Roma.

pixelburp wrote: »
    So to head off the inevitable rancour over next year's Oscars, can we just give Olivia Colman all the awards? Feels like the only way to guarantee universal agreement :D
    I second this motion! :)

She has always been an excellent actress, even in small parts, I love her in Hot Fuzz tbh :D

Roma is a Netflix production and only in cinemas briefly to get a nomination. It's a TV thing and I have the TV for it! Still didn't help! Yeah heard that mentioned. Also saw Cold War mentioned as being better than Roma.
    I think it was in the lighthouse in dublin briefly and Curzon only in UK?
    You might be right, I have a fairly standard tv at home (40 inches).
    Take Free Solo for example, I saw that in the cinema, I just cant imagine it having the same impact on a home TV.

Leave no trace, really loved it, a quiet thoughtful film with great performances.

I might have been raving about Cold War, it knocked my socks off tbh.

I disagree with this, it is a very cinematic drama. It played itself down. I watched it on the big screen and though it was amazing, really enjoyed it the whole way through.

Roma played absolutely everything down but its gripped in the history of the era.

Elmo wrote: »
    I disagree with this, it is a very cinematic drama. It played itself down. I watched it on the big screen and though it was amazing, really enjoyed it the whole way through.

Roma played absolutely everything down but its gripped in the history of the era.
    Cinematic is not always interesting. The actual history didn't appear until 3/4 of the way into it. The rest is kitchen sink drama and a pregnant girl, done way better in many other films. I'd like him to have pared off at least a half an hour at the beginning.

• Advertisement

Cinematic is not always interesting. The actual history didn't appear until 3/4 of the way into it. The rest is kitchen sink drama and a pregnant girl, done way better in many other films. I'd like him to have pared off at least a half an hour at the beginning.

It's a lot more than kitchen sink drama. There was a lot more going on than that and also the cinematography was amazing, from the panning across the house to the forest fire and the view of civil unrest from the shop window.

Maybe you should accept that it just wasn't for you.

Advertisement