Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kW usage fluctuating

Options
  • 05-12-2018 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭

I'm a little confused as to why I'm seeing what I'm seeing on an electricity usage meter we are using for the next few weeks.
    For the past couple of weeks the base reading I've been getting on this gadget, when everything (tvs xbox radio etc) is in standby mode and I have maybe kitchen lights and radio on is 0.2kW give or take.
    Since yesterday though this has jumped quite a bit. Its now jumping from approx 0.7 down to 0.18 but then back up after a minute or two. Its been going on since yesterday.
    Nothing has changed other than a Christmas tree yesterday which isn't even plugged in.
    I've walked around the house twice at this stage and there's nothing on that shouldn't be. What is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Castlerea1121

Call me Al wrote: »
    I'm a little confused as to why I'm seeing what I'm seeing on an electricity usage meter we are using for the next few weeks.
    For the past couple of weeks the base reading I've been getting on this gadget, when everything (tvs xbox radio etc) is in standby mode and I have maybe kitchen lights and radio on is 0.2kW give or take.
    Since yesterday though this has jumped quite a bit. Its now jumping from approx 0.7 down to 0.18 but then back up after a minute or two. Its been going on since yesterday.
    Nothing has changed other than a Christmas tree yesterday which isn't even plugged in.
    I've walked around the house twice at this stage and there's nothing on that shouldn't be. What is going on?

The weather has the biggest impact on your usage because heating and cooling uses the most electricity. Even if your thermostat is set at the same temperature, your heating or cooling system will have to work longer to reach that temperature when the weather gets colder or hotter. Also, if you are home only in the evening one day but then spend an entire day at home the next, your usage will go up, especially if you are running appliances like your washing machine and dryer while home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Probably a fridge and/or freezer switching itself on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Alun wrote: »
    Probably a fridge and/or freezer switching itself on and off.

Would that use 500 watts? That seems huge. Our fridge is relatively new and modern with a good energy rating.
    It hasn't been using this much power any other day for the past fortnight. I have been monitoring this as we are waiting on a electrician to do some work in the house, as we have had a problem with the power cable coming into the house (damaged by another tradesman).
    May be I should switch off the fuses individually to see if i can narrow it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, you're right 500W would be a lot for a modern fridge freezer, plus as you say it's odd that it would only just start happening.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It could simply be due to the quality of the kW meter. The fluctuations may be due to noise on the neutral caused by something external to the house. There are a few thing you can do to narrow this down. For example see if you can identify the circuit or circuits causing this by switching them off one at a time. I would also be interested if the fluctuations correspond with current fluctuations as measured by a good quality grip on ammeter (such as a Fluke or Robin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Would that use 500 watts? That seems huge. Our fridge is relatively new and modern with a good energy rating.
    It hasn't been using this much power any other day for the past fortnight. I have been monitoring this as we are waiting on a electrician to do some work in the house, as we have had a problem with the power cable coming into the house (damaged by another tradesman).
    May be I should switch off the fuses individually to see if i can narrow it down.

Possibly the Fridge-freezer auto defrost functon which will easily take 300/500 watts but I would have thought that this would happen every 12/24 hours.

John.G wrote: »
    Possibly the Fridge-freezer auto defrost functon which will easily take 300/500 watts but I would have thought that this would happen every 12/24 hours.
    Thank you.
    I solved the puzzle by eliminating the fuses individually. It's the puraflo tank pump. We must have some ground water getting in the septic tank after the rain this last couple of days. The 500w increase is much reduced today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

You know the “gadget” is working now!
    Out of interest, what manufacturer/model is It?

Cerco wrote: »
    You know the “gadget” is working now!
    Out of interest, what manufacturer/model is It?

Yes indeed the gadget is definitely working! :-)
    It's an efergy model. The electrician has leant it us until he can get around to fitting us in on his schedule.

Advertisement