Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lahvlann: Now seeking the spirit of the yellow duck - 5th Dec forward

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I expect to be assassinated for this comment, but I think it makes sense for any employer to grant a leave of absence (unpaid of course) to any employee who wants to embark on a project which will improve that employee's own experience or skillset. I got one from my old employer before I started my postgrad - this was in the private sector. They knew I'd be doing something productive and would return with a better set of skills. Sooo, I kinda see why RTdoes this too.

of course- who cares if they don't get paid for their absence. Other than the annoying constant flip-flopping of producers. its not like there is any skill to it that I can see anyhow, you ring Joe about 12, ask has he any pet projects he would like to talk about, any "celebs" die, if none you have a quick flick through the newspapers and if nothing maybe you listen to off- air calls....or is it the researchers that do that, if so what do the producers do?

But did your employer allow you to use their social media/ own website to advertise your private gig while you were on sabbatical so to speak?

But did your employer allow you to use their social media/ own website to advertise your private gig while you were on sabbatical so to speak?
    Nope, and that aspect of it is really what's wrong here. Especially so, since this is a national broadcaster, heavily reliant upon public money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I expect to be assassinated for this comment, but I think it makes sense for any employer to grant a leave of absence (unpaid of course) to any employee who wants to embark on a project which will improve that employee's own experience or skillset. I got one from my old employer before I started my postgrad - this was in the private sector. They knew I'd be doing something productive and would return with a better set of skills. Sooo, I kinda see why RTÉ does this too.

You're not exactly comparing like with like there now to be fair.

Whilst private sector employers may allow for breaks that improve your skillset, it almost always has to be related to your work. If you were applying for time off to do something completely unrelated to your work AND DOING IT EVERY YEAR you would I suspect get a very different response.

You can't say that Aonghus McAnally doing a series of Christy Hennessy gigs every few years is improving his work as a producer on a phone in show.

You can't argue that Joe doing vanity project death bukes and opening wings of Arnotts for a fee is improving his understanding of say, art (ooh - topical).

As the previous poster pointed out, you wouldn't I fully suspect be allowed to use your company time or social media accounts to publicise a personal side project either.

I could give countless other examples. And don't forget, you're paying for the largesse in RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

As a side note to yesterdays art discussions I mentioned that Joe fancied himself as a bit of a Robert Ballagh, now the only reason i know who Robert Ballagh is is coz he was on Celebrity Homes of The Year 2018 which the wife watches.

Robet Ballagh had a mural painted on a huge wall in his house of the street they lived on, people that lived there etc, pretty cool. he said the grandkids loved it....but included in the painting was an image of the artist, on his balcony, sans trousers and jocks, with his lad hanging out....isn't art great?

As a side note to yesterdays art discussions I mentioned that Joe fancied himself as a bit of a Robert Ballagh, now the only reason i know who Robert Ballagh is is coz he was on Celebrity Homes of The Year 2018 which the wife watches.

Robet Ballagh had a mural painted on a huge wall in his house of the street they lived on, people that lived there etc, pretty cool. he said the grandkids loved it....but included in the painting was an image of the artist, on his balcony, sans trousers and jocks, with his lad hanging out....isn't art great?

It’s “Bobby Ballagh” to Joe caller. ;)

Given yesterday’s performance, and the previous Lahv Lahn art debate with noted thespians BlindBoyBoatClub and Willie O’Dea, I’d posit Joe knows more about De Matty Matticks than he does about art, so to speak.

Plenty of old, nudey pics in the National Gallery; lots of seweycide in the works of Shakespeare and the annals of poetry. Why do the likes of Duffy only get upset when someone creates art from such topics in the current era?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Plenty of old, nudey pics in the National Gallery; lots of seweycide in the works of Shakespeare and the annals of poetry. Why do the likes of Duffy only get upset when someone creates art from such topics in the current era?

Because Sheila in Tulla-morey and Peggy in Ballyer and all their fellow blue rinse craw thumpers don't give a fiddlers fcuk about Shakespeare or 'art' in general.

They just like to be kept 'up to date' (oxymoron I know) by Fateen about the new fangled goings on in the wurdild.

Joe's wuuuurd is gospel to this cohort of perma-shocked curtain twitchers.

Because:
    They don’t understand it
    They’re prudes
    They don’t like anything to do with sex
    They (ironically) need a good ride
    The “If one woman is offended, we’re all offended” mentality
    Catalick guilt
    An “If I don’t like it I’m going to stop anyone else liking it” mentality
    Joe told them it was bad
    Joe attempted to make it into something it wasn’t
    Joe got the hump because he wasn’t invited to the opening
    A “no nudes” art policy
    Images or representations of willies and dildos should not be on public display - not should boobs, bottoms or “front bottoms”
    Pictures should have two suns

Pick any 3 of the above and it will cover 90% of the objectors at any one time so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What color was his helmet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

on today perhaps

- breathalyser in a restaurant to prove 1 drink is ok
    - elaborate scams , robbing hand bags from cars
    - more sex ashes/necrophilia
    - dodgy builder, called to his address on the invoice to confront him, surprise surprise , not there/ none existent address

sounds promising in fairness , but i've thought that many many times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

more dildos
    car bag teft

the mods must be slipping in their old age, well over the 10000 posts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Robert Ballaghs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

2smiggy wrote: »
    the mods must be slipping in their old age, well over the 10000 posts :eek:

There is no Deadline on Liveline threads.

There is no Deadline on Liveline threads.

No deadline; but thousands of deaths so to speak.

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »
    Robert Ballaghs.

Bobby caller, Bobby. Call me Bobby.

on today perhaps

- breathalyser in a restaurant to prove 1 drink is ok
    - elaborate scams , robbing hand bags from cars
    - more sex ashes/necrophilia
    - dodgy builder, called to his address on the invoice to confront him, surprise surprise , not there/ none existent address

sounds promising in fairness , but i've thought that many many times

Just elaborate scams this time, not sophisticated scams?

I'd like to hear Joe's pronunciation of the wurd in bold so to speak. Keeping on the "intimacy" theme of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Kicking off with childers' cancer.
    Great stuff, Jowel.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Bam should get down off the cross.

The offer is completely disingenuous. They know that the Government will not cancel the contract.

• Advertisement

will BAM be reimbursing the money they have taken already ?

How long until:
    Joe: Wham! Bam! Thanks You Mam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

BAM? Are they half-related to Barney Rubble's young lad?

they are Dutch .... and a shower of **** to work for

will BAM be reimbursing the money they have taken already ?

Are you new here? As in to Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Whats happening?, Duffy trying to close down BAM?

Bam didn't say that they were going to "pull out" Duffy, will you read the thing properly.
    They said that if the Government wanted they would allow them to pull out of the contract. When has any public servant ever been brave enough to make a decision like that?

caller you are making no sense what so ever

The offer is completely disingenuous. They know that the Government will not cancel the contract.

Fact. BAM trying to look like the good guy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kildare based?

They are Dutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

BAM , one of the few words joe can’t mispronounce .....

caller you are making no sense what so ever

No, he's the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

vicwatson wrote: »

Or exploring a means of ditching a poisoned chalice.

vicwatson wrote: »

Chalk it down.

Conspiratorial, Duffy could have a yawn between saying that word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Does this eejit work for bam

some old quantity surveyor, with no knowledge of what is going on, giving advise to the gubberment

liveline never change

Bo mount

• Advertisement

They are not talking about pulling out ffs, what an idiot. If they pull out that would be breach of contract. And the state could then sue them for 1.7 billion euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

How much more money from the budget for children did BAM spend on lawyers and pr people for this little stunt ?

Duffy thinks "it might not be too late" to stop the hospital, he's on a mission now

This fella talking claptrap with utter utter certainty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Who is the aulfella talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Sure some other crew will bamjax the new site

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

"Somebody should explain something"

This caller is talking plain old common sense.

This fella talking claptrap with utter utter certainty

He's been doing it for years. You should have heard him talking about art yesterday.

"safe-itty", not "safety"

Dead in the water

Tentacles

So to speak

Was it the cost of the land, and mission creep that added to the costs?
    Things being wrongly specified by the HSE and having to be changed, for example.
    Doozies like the wrong sized doors to allow beds to pass through.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement