Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash register display - not required by law?

Options
  • 05-12-2018 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Local spar shop had a redesign of layout. Cash registers are hidden behind sweets display.
    I tried looking up legislation on this as I thought it was a legal requirement to provide a clearly visible display. No luck so far.
    I asked Consumer Protection Agency and they said not in their remit.
    Is it a legal requirement? What law is it under?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is no requirement for retailers to even have a cash register, let alone that it should have a screen to show the price. How do you think farmers' markets could operate if they all had to have cash registers with customer-facing displays? Before you mention receipts, they can be hand-written if one is demanded.

You're trying to imagine a consumer right that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

prosaic wrote: »
    Local spar shop had a redesign of layout. Cash registers are hidden behind sweets display.
    I tried looking up legislation on this as I thought it was a legal requirement to provide a clearly visible display. No luck so far.

I wouldn't like that setup. There's nothing wrong with my hearing, but I can read the display much easier & quicker than I can hear the cashier telling me how much it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭prosaic

Ok, I see the point about the more informal end of the market. I had thought that it was a requirement but I guess it is just good practice.
    I do think its very questionable for a standard retailer to hide the display like that. No doubt, they just wanted more display space to push rubbish. I think an element of good relations is lost by removing it from view.

Ok, I see the point about the more informal end of the market. I had thought that it was a requirement but I guess it is just good practice.

+1 agree that it is good practice. If there is a display that can be rotated, I make a point of leaning in so I can see it where it is not facing me and is clearly designed to do so. If I get a dirty look, I ask straight out what that swinging display is for, if not so the customer can see the amount.

But if there is no cash register, that issue is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I do think its very questionable for a standard retailer to hide the display like that. No doubt, they just wanted more display space to push rubbish. I think an element of good relations is lost by removing it from view.

If they give you a receipt (usually itemized) there’s no real issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Maybe let them know. If they are in an area that has a high level of elderly people who may not have great hearing, it would be a selling point.

The designers of these fitouts sometimes don't think about the customer experience.

Unless it's some strange setup, a simple add on display arm would be sufficient and easily installed.

But no legislation or requirement. No requirement for receipt either and believe it or not, no legal requirement to give you change even if you give a €50 note for a €10 purchase.

But being a legal requirement should not impede customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

It's not required, but seems a bit on the dim side tbh.

Make a complaint to management and don't use them until it's resolved (it will be, you'll not be alone) if it's an issue for you.

Bear in mind that in some cases, the cash register is an easy target for an opportunist thief who simply reaches in and grabs a bunch of notes from the till. I suspect the OP's retailer has had this experience and that's why the cash register has been moved away from directly in front of the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I do think its very questionable for a standard retailer to hide the display like that.
    They might have no idea at all. I have been in shops like this and I never was concerned or thought it would be an issue. I now realise it is to some people, maybe the shop need to be told too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some level of politeness in posting would be nice - post deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The display on the till doesn't even mean anything. The contract is when the shopkeeper asks for x and you offer x, or y if you want to haggle.

Advertisement