Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

Thanks a mill for the Littlewoods voucher code I will take a look! I think I have enough myself though! And my mother in law arrived with presents including loads of baby grows and vests last week! I haven't bought any proper clothes other than vests and baby grows - I have been told that is all we will use in the first few weeks. And considering the time of year they should be warm enough without needing too many layers!

I got a rocking chair from mothercare - it is not automatic though. The one from mothercare seems really comfortable but I will get back to you when I am breastfeeding a new born for a few hours without a break haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Baby19

Oh sorry Sarah1916, I meant a rocker for baby...like this one https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/joie-serina-swivel-swing-natures-alphabet/1600333218.prd
    Although, maybe rocker wasn't the best word...baby brain!!:D

Oh sorry, now I get you! Actually my mother in law got us a automatic bouncer as well, I think it was only about €60 in mother care. From other reviews I have read though a lot of people are saying simple cheaper bouncers are just as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Im 35 weeks. Csection booked for 4 weeks today. Heat is also a nightmare. we have mostly everything done and organised now, just wanna pick up some video monitors and presents for the other 2 from their new sister. Back to school is a few days after baby arrives so needed to sort that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eurozonelady

Good luck with the csection javagal.

At my next week's scan we're expecting to get the date for our CS..I think it'll be between Aug 15th - 21st. Our little fella is kicking up a storm too, they said his legs are measuring long. I´ve been going for swims or rather floating about in the sea and it helps a lot with the heat and night time leg discomfort. Eating main meal at 6ish reduces the acid reflux a bit and later I just have fruit and water if I´m hungry.

We found a premium travel system via the price comparison website IDEALO which was reduced by a little over 50%. It was from the 2017 catalogue but i don´t mind that at all - saved loads. I´ll definitely be doing price checks on more costly items via idealo again as it shows significant differences between popular shops, amazon and other sellers. I´m on mainland Europe and got delivery in 48h not sure if delivers to Ireland but don´t see why not. Getting most of my baby clothes from M&S online, love the quality and super fast delivery also.

In the last couple of weeks have noticed that if I sit at desk for more than 3-4h that mild swelling starts and 6+ hours gives me total hobbit feet and causes lots of insomnia. Have been horsing the water into myself - up all night peeing but water reduces my feet/ leg cramps and constant spasm feelings during the night.

Good luck to all you August 2019 members and here´s praying for loads of healthy little babbies! xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Even I'm suffering from the heats some nights. My wife struggles some nights but she has been quite lucky with this pregnancy. No morning sickness or any signs of problems normally affecting those throughout pregnancy. She would get heart burn and the baby kicking her ribs and other such lovely places. She feels discomfort when sometimes trying to sleep but she adjusts.

She is now like "ok, you've been in there long enough! Time to come out now". Today is the start of week 39!

Most things bought for baby, car seat is already fitted with ISOFIX base and bag packed and in car boot...just a waiting game now. =)

37 weeks now and flat out!! Had NCT today...completely forgot it was due so thankfully I got a last minute appointment albeit an hour away, and, most importantly, it passed! Having awful trouble with 1 wisdom tooth so made an appt to see the dentist this afternoon. Not sure if he can do anything but don't want to risk getting an infection etc.
    In good news, our baby elegance order is arriving tomorrow and my hospital bags are finally packed :D

Hope everyone's doing well!!

This month!!!

javagal wrote: »
    This month!!!

It is so exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

If anyone here is due in the Rotunda they're looking for people to sign up for the new series of the tv show! The contact details are on the Rotunda facebook page!

• Advertisement

Plankton1 wrote: »
    If anyone here is due in the Rotunda they're looking for people to sign up for the new series of the tv show! The contact details are on the Rotunda facebook page!

I'm due that week and am attending the Rotunda but there's not a hope in hell I'd appear on it!!:P

Ha! Luckily my wife is in Hooked St. She started getting her cramps throughout yesterday, and contractions became regular early today around 4am. Drove into the hospital and here since 5am. She is currently resting and had taken epidural at 12 today. All going well the final push will be at 8pm this evening!

Oh how exciting!! All the best red_bairn! Hope all goes really well :)

Omg do we have the first august baby!

Baby19 wrote: »
    Oh how exciting!! All the best red_bairn! Hope all goes really well :)

Everything went well!
    javagal wrote: »
    Omg do we have the first august baby!

Yep, Adelina and baby Maya are doing well. Mommy Adelina had episiotomy performed on her but apart from that they were both super through the whole thing. Baby is 3.61kg and much quieter than her neighbours.

Oh such exciting news! Huge congratulations to you both. Enjoy every minute with little Maya :)

Aww massive congratulations on baby Maya, I hope the rest of the August babies start arriving now :)
    I am actually looking forward to a nice relaxing week of maternity leave and have in my head that next weekend would be perfect for baby to arrive. If only it was that easy to decide ;)

Congratulations you lucky things!

I have a dilemma - although my hospital had told me I would be likely to have a cesarean section, they are now, at week 38, insisting I have a breech vaginal birth.

I really oppose this as I feel there is much more at risk for the baby. During this (first time) pregnancy we have had a rough time, pelvic rest for 10 weeks, rick of MC, aggressive bleeding and clotting for 3 months, placenta and cord anomalies and baby with heart defect, so we really don´t want to put any more stress on the baby.

I firmly believe a CS would be the best option for the baby but the hospital refuse to consider this unless it´s under emergency circumstances.. to say I´m disappointed and appalled is an understatement. They have 13% CS rate in the hospital and are prepared to make us suffer in order to maintain their numbers.

This is such a crap situation to be in. We´re going to a private clinic tomorrow to talk about a finance plan for a CS there. The other option my OB said is to drive to a hospital, maybe 4 hours away, that doesn´t do vag breech deliveries and go to ER saying I have contractions... it is ridiculous!

Should I go back to Ireland? Would a public Irish hospital do a CS or do they insist on vag breech births? I always thought they considered the parents wishes under these circumstances. I´ve emailed the HSE to ask them if my European healthcard would cover a CS there.

Any advice?? Should I go to a solicitor here or the newspaper... I feel so disempowered and upset, this is draining. I really don´t want to spend energy fighting anybody.. just want a healthy baby.

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

What country are you in?
    I am surprised at this to be honest.Although I know it can be done.Anyone I know of with a breech baby has been a CS here in Ireland, but that is just to my knowledge.I don't know if they would try a breech vaginal birth, I don't think there is usually a choice here.
    Would you have to fly here?it may be hard to get medical sign off for a flight at 38 weeks.
    Reading back on your history there, I am very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Congratulations you lucky things!

I have a dilemma - although my hospital had told me I would be likely to have a cesarean section, they are now, at week 38, insisting I have a breech vaginal birth.

I really oppose this as I feel there is much more at risk for the baby. During this (first time) pregnancy we have had a rough time, pelvic rest for 10 weeks, rick of MC, aggressive bleeding and clotting for 3 months, placenta and cord anomalies and baby with heart defect, so we really don´t want to put any more stress on the baby.

I firmly believe a CS would be the best option for the baby but the hospital refuse to consider this unless it´s under emergency circumstances.. to say I´m disappointed and appalled is an understatement. They have 13% CS rate in the hospital and are prepared to make us suffer in order to maintain their numbers.

This is such a crap situation to be in. We´re going to a private clinic tomorrow to talk about a finance plan for a CS there. The other option my OB said is to drive to a hospital, maybe 4 hours away, that doesn´t do vag breech deliveries and go to ER saying I have contractions... it is ridiculous!

Should I go back to Ireland? Would a public Irish hospital do a CS or do they insist on vag breech births? I always thought they considered the parents wishes under these circumstances. I´ve emailed the HSE to ask them if my European healthcard would cover a CS there.

Any advice?? Should I go to a solicitor here or the newspaper... I feel so disempowered and upset, this is draining. I really don´t want to spend energy fighting anybody.. just want a healthy baby.

Thanks

You poor thing having this stress and upset . You would not be allowed fly at 38 weeks to be honest .

Have you discussed an ECV with the team ? It is possible to still turn the baby

What is an external cephalic version (ECV)?
    An ECV can be done from 36 weeks all the way up until early labour, as long as your waters have not yet broken. It is successful for around 50% of women. If successful, you will be less likely to need a caesarean section or other medical assistance during labour.
    If you agree to an ECV, you will need to go into hospital to have it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think there is quite a high risk with that though, the hospital may be reluctant to do it, but you could ask.
    It is not a nice situation to be in.

shesty wrote: »
    I think there is quite a high risk with that though, the hospital may be reluctant to do it, but you could ask.
    It is not a nice situation to be in.

From the royal college of obstetrics and gynaecology

https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/1471-0528.14466

The risks are very rare and success in the region of 47% . So maybe an option worth asking about .

Last Friday we went to the hospital, I was expecting they would be scheduling the date of CS and monitoring baby´s heart and growth progress (25th percentile). They asked us to sign a consent form as they wanted to perform an ECV there and then without explaining it in detail. I had seen videos and knew something about it, but it was the first time it had been suggested to us. I asked them should turning be successful, what was the rate of later successful vaginal delivery for first time moms and they didn´t know. So we made an appointment for the next Monday to confirm if we would or wouldn´t get it done.

Over the weekend we researched med journals blogs etc. On average an ECV has 65% success rate of turning the baby head down - 65% for women who´ve birthed before and 40% for first-timers like me. The procedure has a super low risk so sounds ok. However, for women who haven´t birthed before there was a 20% vaginal birth success rate and other studies suggested about a one in three chance.

So we went back to the hospital and explained the stats we had read made us feel frightened that we´d have to go through the whole labour process only to end up with an emergency csec anyway so we wanted to decline and accept the programmed csec, which was what the Friday OB had said was the plan b option. That´s when we were presented with ...oh so you´ll be happy to do a vaginal breech birth then... and it kinda went downhill from there. I asked the doctor if the one in three number I´d found online was correct and he said that the successful vag birthing rate was 84%. I´ve since found a few med journals that say the chance is higher than one in three- but I honestly don´t know which one to believe.

I fear that with either a successful ECV plus normal vag delivery OR breech delivery both have a high chance of leading to instrumental AND/ OR emergency delivery.. so elective sounds less traumatic for baby and us.

Hospital doesn´t permit birth plans - we didn´t want one anyway. We genuinely trusted them and the health service here up until now. Our wishlist was just no forceps and do our best to avoid emergency csec.

Today I met with the gynie in my local clinic and they pretty much said we couldn´t do anything and recommended making a complaint with the hospital´s customer service and said it could take 1-2 weeks to get a response....so I really don´t know if there´s a point. It feels like we´re being booted out of the public system and we´re just in disbelief. Their way or the highway and we pay a lot of bloody social security here so that´s really annoying also.

Anyway hopefully private will give us a better option tomorrow. It should cost about 6K -we hadn´t budgeted for that but hey welcome to parenting! Otherwise we might have to go AIRBNB and hang out near a public hospital with high CS rates and no breech delivery option for the next few weeks.... it´s crazy but would save us a few thousand.

Thanks for your suggestions and empathy! Jaysus I can´t wait to meet this little fellow, it´s already been a bit of a journey!

Good lord.

OP I don't know where you are but that sounds...archaic.And I thought Ireland wasn't great.

I don't really know what to advise you to do, but hopefully the private clinic will help.You just want informed options really.I was thinking about your case last night, and I have to say my own feeling would be that there is no way I would want to attempt to birth my first as a breech vaginal delivery.Now that is just personal opinion and my own feeling (probably from having had three normal deliveries) but if I was being pushed into that, yeah, I would just go elsewhere.

All my fingers crossed for you that you get an outcome that you are happy with, and that you are not pushed into a situation that you don't want.It's tough enough facing delivery of your first without that going on too.I would revisit that hospital after the birth, and consider the complaints process then.I don't think there is any point wasting your energy on it now.

And as an edit....how can they not permit birth plans??They are basically saying they don't want to hear about how you might like to give birth (and I am not talking candles and incense here, I mean how you would like to manage pain and who your partner would be).Seeing as it's your body, I would think that they don't get to choose....

The private clinic option is €6,000 and will schedule me for the 21st Aug. This has really helped calm us down as a last resort is available.

On Monday we are going for one more appointment with the public hospital and I´m bringing my husband and a lawyer friend to help reason and beg them to just let us programme it there and if not to point us in the right direction to transfer hospital to the 90% of hospitals here that do programme it. We really don´t want to have to pay when public healthcare is so good. This is just a weird case!

For future reference had I known before what was going to happen I could have asked for the S2 form from the public healthcare which allows you to transfer and organise free cross border treatment in most European countries once you have the European medical card/ health insurance card. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/eu_healthcare/treatment_abroad_scheme.html

Anyhow I´m doing zero exercise or anything that might induce labour until I get this madness sorted!!!!

Programmed 19th August-transferred to another hospital with high level of service neonatal ward and transfusion capabilities just in case. Only about an hour away.

Very supportive and respectful of our decision. Thank sweet Jesus!

Good luck to everybody! Xx

Programmed 19th August-transferred to another hospital with high level of service neonatal ward and transfusion capabilities just in case. Only about an hour away.

Very supportive and respectful of our decision. Thank sweet Jesus!

Good luck to everybody! Xx

So glad you feel less stressed , best wishes .x

Apologies in advance for TMI.

I was up all night with pains like constipation pains but there was a small bit of poo coming out each time. I must have been up 10 times during the night. I also had to wee about 4 times in an hour last night before bed. I still sort of have the pains that I need to go the toilet now. It started about 10/11 last night. I have had no bowel movement problems at all during this pregnancy and even went to the toilet properly yesterday. I was wondering if this is something I should be worried about and if they could give me anything in the chemist or if I need to just see it out. Has anyone experienced this in their late pregnancy before? I am a day overdue. TIA

Sarah1916, could you give your hospital a ring and ask one of the midwives?
    I've a week till my due date and while constant trips to bathroom have been a feature of the last few months, I have noticed an increase in the number of 'bowel movements' I've had in the last few days. It may just be common in late pregnancy but I'd ring the midwives to ask. If you're with VHI they have a nurse/midwife line you can ring.

• Advertisement

Sarah, are you having pains?I would certainly say ring your hospital.Or maybe go into them.

Advertisement