Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Little Suspicious

• 05-12-2018 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I have a joint mortgage since 2002 for a 20 year term jointly with my brother . My self and my wife want to sell property to fund a House purchase . I have written repeatedly to our bank to get Statements of the mortgage and statements of the account (joint) that service the mortgage.

Before we purchased the house which is Section 23 my brother asked did I mind him claiming section 23 as if he owned all based on the full Build Certificate (circa 100k) , I said ok. I presume that he had the Build Cert got with his sole name on it and it would be straightforard He said he was doing this and went on to say he had finished this after 4 years in 2006. Three years after this in 2009 he said he didnt claim this whole amount . I always thought it was a lie as , if a favour wasn't earned , I couldn't ask for a favour .

At different stages I have asked for information on the Mortgage for house and I have always got "its with Accountants" , "What do u need it for " .

I then tackled the Bank and I have always got partial records or just enough to keep you happy and never anything about the account we paid into . My brother owns multiple businesses fully paid off and is a liquid millionaire with small borrowings. I don't think anyone is bigger than a bank but a large cash business where a bank wants cashflow and the person doesn't borrow will have a big say.

Whenever I have made requests to the bank I have been asked by my brother , why I requested such and such and I have often stipulated secrecy yet I would get asked this. I felt that there is a trigger or something on the account about enquiries .

I feel that something nearly must have gone on. I feel maybe my monies have never reached the mortgage and that there will be an argument down the line about equity based on contribution. I feel this underpins why the Personal accounts are never forthcoming but Mortgage Statements are.

Would love some advice as I intend to force this issue over the coming weeks

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The fact they are even talking to you is a good sign, if you weren't on the mortgage they wouldnt even discuss it with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I think the problem is that the Bank may be sending out all communication either to the property address or the address that was on the application when submitted which is your brother's address and your brother is receiving the communication. You only can change contact address if both of you sign a form.

You need to check with the Solicitor that represented you when you applied for the mortgage that your name is actually on the deeds as well as the mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

I have written repeatedly to our bank to get Statements of the mortgage and statements of the account (joint) that service the mortgage.

So have you received these statements? If so, are payments being made monthly as per schedule? Does the amount currently outstanding correlate to the payments made (ie no additional funds were drawn against the property)?

Give the solicitor a call and ask them to confirm that you are indeed properly registered on title deeds.

Once you have both of these answers you will have what you need to go further. As long as the mortgage is being paid properly and on time, and you are named on the deeds then you are reasonably ok.

If you are on the deeds & mortgage, the bank would not allow additional charges against the property without your signature.

Advertisement