Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shift Allowance

Options
  • 06-12-2018 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

Is it compulsory for an employer to show shift allowance on a payslip??
    My partner has been in a job for the past 2 years, his employer recently stated that he was getting 15% shift allowance but this has never appeared on his payslip.
    I know when I used to work shift work I would get 20% shift allowance for unsocialable hours and it would appear on my payslip as such.
    I'm just wondering if this should have been the case with my partners employer or if they are trying to pull a fast one.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doesn't necessarily have to appear, it can simply be built into his wage.

It will typically appear on a payslip when the allowance isn't always payable. For example if night shifts are 20% and day shifts 15%, then the allowance breakdown will often be shown on the payslip.

But if the allowance is just a blanket 15% regardless and he only ever works shift, then it can be argued that it's just part of his wage and it doesn't have to appear on the payslip.

He should query it with his colleagues, ask them if the allowance appears on their payslip. If it does, then the employer is clearly telling porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Definitely doesnt need to be seperate, heck, if he was hired to do shift work they don't even have to pay an allowance as such. It can just be a case of take it or leave it, do the shifts and get paid X or don't take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

The thing is he and about half the staff are agency. The permanent staff get 20% shift allowance for the same hours, when questioned about why the agency staff weren't getting the same shift allowance my partners employer said they'd been getting 15% all along & they'd increase it to 20% from now on.
    My partner is not sure if they are justing giving the 'increase' of 5% so that no one looks too deeply into whether they have indeed been getting shift allowance all along like the permanet staff as they were entitled to according to the Agency Workers Regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ms2011 wrote: »
    The thing is he and about half the staff are agency. The permanent staff get 20% shift allowance for the same hours, when questioned about why the agency staff weren't getting the same shift allowance my partners employer said they'd been getting 15% all along & they'd increase it to 20% from now on.
    My partner is not sure if they are justing giving the 'increase' of 5% so that no one looks too deeply into whether they have indeed been getting shift allowance all along like the permanet staff as they were entitled to according to the Agency Workers Regulations.

Surely he agreed a wage before he’s started. Is he getting the agreed wage

ted1 wrote: »

Surely he agreed a wage before he’s started. Is he getting the agreed wage
    Yes but shift allowance was never mentioned. It was only when the agency staff found out that the permanet staff were being paid 20% shift allowance while doing the same job, that they enquired and were told they'd been getting 15% shift allowance all along but as it is not printed on his payslip my partner has no way of knowing whether this is the case or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

Yes but shift allowance was never mentioned. It was only when the agency staff found out that the permanet staff were being paid 20% shift allowance while doing the same job, that they enquired and were told they'd been getting 15% shift allowance all along but as it is not printed on his payslip my partner has no way of knowing whether this is the case or not.

What does it say in his contract? Is there a basic rate and shift percentage?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s fairly basic maths to divide the number of hours worked by what he got paid.

Odelay wrote: »

What does it say in his contract? Is there a basic rate and shift percentage?
    No one in the agency has ever seen their contract, not even those there 10+ years.

ted1 wrote: »

It’s fairly basic maths to divide the number of hours worked by what he got paid.
    Yes I realise this, I guess what his employer is claiming is his hourly rate is inclusive of the shift allowance though a shift allowance had never been mentioned until the employer was challenged over the pay differences between permanent & agency staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes I realise this, I guess what his employer is claiming is his hourly rate is inclusive of the shift allowance though a shift allowance had never been mentioned until the employer was challenged over the pay differences between permanent & agency staff.

But it could still be included, that wouldn’t be uncommon.

Agency and permanent getting different rates would be common too.

Push the agency for a copy of their contract, without seeing that there is no knowing what basis he was hired on.

If the contract mentions a rate and there is no mention of allowance then it’s going to be c case that it was accepted as an all in figure.

It’s bad form not to issue a contract, but after a time (six months I think) the employee has accepted the terms and accepted o contract if admiring that time no complaints are made and no request for a contract is made to the employer.

• Advertisement

[/QUOTE]

Agency and permanent getting different rates would be common too.
    [/quote]

But wasn't that the point of the Agency Workers Regulations, that agency workers (after the first 12 weeks) were entitled to equal pay & conditions for doing the same job??

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭shane b

It can depend on the employer really. My last job the shift allowance was seen as an add on to the flat rate and only applied when I worked the particular shift. It appeared as my payslip as such too.
    My brother works 3 cycle shift but the shift allowance is built into the weekly wage as he gets the same amount every week whether he on days or nights. Seemingly a lot of the staff found it easier to mange bills if the wages was the same every week rather than a different amount every week.

Advertisement