Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad experience with new Nissan Leaf...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ZiabR wrote: »
    Sorry, what? 50000 - 60000km a year??? In an EV? I am an engineer on the road all of the time and I wouldnt do 50000 - 60000km a year.

If you are really doing that mileage, surely an EV is not the practical choice of transport for you?

Friend of mine just lost their first bar at 209,000kms and it's a 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

unkel wrote: »
    Something isn't right here. The distance is 107km one way, so 214km for the return trip. And none of it is motorway, so the speed limit was mostly 80km/h and 100km/h? This is where electric cars have a long range.

I would have expected the new model 2018 40kWh Leaf should have done that without charging if he started of with 100% unless the weather was particularly bad. Even with the heating on all the way. I'm pretty sure my 28kWh Ioniq could do that trip.

Using 70% for one way means it used 26kWh/100km, which is atrociously inefficient at low speeds

Had my L40 since July and have seen very variable results on range. Personally I treat it as having about 200km range with a high variance depending on speed especially - I know you can get more, you can get less

Am getting about 16kWh/100km according to the dash which suggests range is better than I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

ZiabR wrote: »
    Sorry, what? 50000 - 60000km a year??? In an EV? I am an engineer on the road all of the time and I wouldnt do 50000 - 60000km a year.

If you are really doing that mileage, surely an EV is not the practical choice of transport for you?

I’m doing between 4,500 and 5,000 km per month - mostly short journeys in a 30 kWh Leaf. No point in denying it, long journeys need planning (and praying). Have a look at infrastructure on m8. Cahir is almost permanently not available so you are reliant on (after Portlaoise) ballacolla, Urlingford, Cashel, Fermoy. You absolutely cannot put yourself in a position where you arrive at a charger with not enough to get to the next one only to find it is not available for some reason. For example I arrived at Cahir to find works going on and couldn’t access charger leaving me with a careful (and stressful) drive to Fermoy
    That said I absolutely won’t abandon the EV!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Maybe he should have stuck with a good reliable TDI then he would easily get 1100km to a full tank...as ive posted in the past ..yes electric vehicles has their limited uses. But a long way to go before they go anywhere near a current fossil fuelled vehicle..I will certainly wait until our emergency services etc start utilizing this technology in a large scale..and I got slated a few months back for commenting on their limitations when electric vehicles would be required to replace light and heavy commercial vehicles..well now as I had actually known a long time back for the heavy commercial vehicles they will switch to gas.. definitely not electric. Things might improve in 10 years down the road..but for now it clearly shows that electric vehicles here in Ireland are at their infancy..just check the low percentage sold in the last 6 years or so compared to our reliable fossil vehicles.
    Everyone's choice to purchase whatever vehicle they wish for but as for our environment even if every single vehicle here in Ireland was electric it wouldn't make absolutely any impact on climate change as the huge polluters are China etc..and they ain't too concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Everyone's choice to purchase whatever vehicle they wish for but as for our environment even if every single vehicle here in Ireland was electric it wouldn't make absolutely any impact on climate change as the huge polluters are China etc..and they ain't too concerned

China is doing a lot more to electrify transportation due to air pollution than most countries.

I'd love to be able to go for a walk around town and not having to breathe filthy diesel exhaust. Wouldn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to go for a walk around town and not having to breathe filthy diesel exhaust. Wouldn't you?

Even in the middle of New York City (population 10 million) the air is relatively clean compared to little old dirty man Dublin (population 1 million) with stinking diesels everywhere

Sorry sabre man . But diesel fumes aren't too bad around our towns or cities. They rank way down the scale of negative things out there..crime being top of the list..compared to much larger cities in Europe which are far safer and less chance of getting any hassle..
    Anyhow for now like many others I'll be holding on to my reliable tdi..but for short journeys and only 1 or 2 occupants the electric vehicle makes perfect sense..wouldn't fit my schedule of varying journeys and I tow a heavy trailer fairly regularly..and sometimes even to my inlaws which is close to 400km round trip... I'd need the fastcharger connected up permanently if I were to use an ev...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Soarer wrote: »
    Yeah!

Shoulda bought a Fabia diesel. :rolleyes:

Never said that

Quit trolling

My Model 3 configuration is still saying early 2019, I am hopeful end of 2019

Sorry sabre man . But diesel fumes aren't too bad around our towns or cities.

LOL, diesel fumes in Dublin are terrible! No other city in the western world of a similar size to Dublin has worse air. No other country in the world had a higher percentage of car sales being diesels. We should be ashamed of ourselves. The generations after us will look upon us with disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The particle polluting and the consequent health effects will in time be looked on askance. We are doing this to our young and old.
    I still drive one BTW but hope to wean soon.
    Stop bringing nonsense like crime onto the tread, not relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

Something isn't right here. The distance is 107km one way, so 214km for the return trip. And none of it is motorway, so the speed limit was mostly 80km/h and 100km/h? This is where electric cars have a long range.

I would have expected the new model 2018 40kWh Leaf should have done that without charging if he started of with 100% unless the weather was particularly bad. Even with the heating on all the way. I'm pretty sure my 28kWh Ioniq could do that trip.

Using 70% for one way means it used 26kWh/100km, which is atrociously inefficient at low speeds

Consider that it's a journey mostly on low quality R-roads through drumlins.
    It's a twisty, turny route up and down steep hills - there's going to be constant sharp braking and sharp acceleration. Actual travel times also will be well above what google maps says.

No mystery to it using extra juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I only read the first post. Why didn't he charge at the FCP at Lunney's in Carrick?

Sounds like an own goal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

jhenno78 wrote: »
    Consider that it's a journey mostly on low quality R-roads through drumlins.
    It's a twisty, turny route up and down steep hills - there's going to be constant sharp braking and sharp acceleration. Actual travel times also will be well above what google maps says.

No mystery to it using extra juice.

Doing it wrong then, no need for either.

As has been previously pointed out, Leaf will be more efficient on regional and local roads (unless you're doing 120 km/h on them!)

KCross wrote: »
    Was the 30% leaving Carrick a typo since you said he had it on charge and left with the same as he arrived with??

One side of the SCP by the Co Council offices is out of order since forever. But the display tells you that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What is the true range on say the leaf 40 for someone who likes to drive, so for example full power being demanded with heavy braking on a twisty back road that might only get up to 80 km per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

mickdw wrote: »
    What is the true range on say the leaf 40 for someone who likes to drive, so for example full power being demanded with heavy braking on a twisty back road that might only get up to 80 km per hour.

Thats almost impossible to answer. How long is a piece of string type question.

Its like asking what mpg would you get from your diesel in the same scenario. Would you be able to answer it for your car?

Generally the worst case scenario for an EV (or any car actually) is high speed on the motorway in the wind and rain. Thats the only figure you really need. Every other scenario should be better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Sorry sabre man . But diesel fumes aren't too bad around our towns or cities. They rank way down the scale of negative things out there..crime being top of the list..compared to much larger cities in Europe which are far safer and less chance of getting any hassle..
    Anyhow for now like many others I'll be holding on to my reliable tdi..but for short journeys and only 1 or 2 occupants the electric vehicle makes perfect sense..wouldn't fit my schedule of varying journeys and I tow a heavy trailer fairly regularly..and sometimes even to my inlaws which is close to 400km round trip... I'd need the fastcharger connected up permanently if I were to use an ev...

So diesel fumes aren't too bad because there is crime?

Just open yer ears and listen to some of the good songs...every generation blames the one before.. there's a hell of a lot more that the young people growing up today can blame our generation for... maybe even the lack of broadband..housing crisis. Lack of finance due to banks tightening up on their mad lending back 10 years ago.. but we can all argue here about the rotten dirty diesels..but where are the alternatives.. ev is absolutely very limited.. apart from leafs etc how come all major manufacturers haven't a full range of evs bu now..from a small micros sized ev right up to 7 seaters and decent 4x4s and all with at least 500km range..pointless blaming our government for once as it's clear that the manufacturer has a long way to go also..currently I could hitch up my heavy 2 axle trailer and drive rural cork to Belfast and return again without any stops and on a full tank of diesel I'd only be slightly under half when I'd return home...how much planning and arsing around would the same journey take with an ev.and ie there even any mid size ev van available here that could tow a heavy trailer..also my van is now 12 years old and once there's fuel in the tank ive still got full bhp. What power would I hope to get from an electric van after 12 years.. it would probably be gone to recycling center after 6 or 7..
    Maybe some of the well educated owners of current evs could compare their vehicles to mine and take up the towing and every day regular duties that our tdi vehicles have to endure and reply back ..
    Evs are at their infancy yet and not all smoke ..pollution and nox gasses are being produced by diesels..look at factories and manufacturing plants..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just open yer ears and listen to some of the good songs...every generation blames the one before.. there's a hell of a lot more that the young people growing up today can blame our generation for... maybe even the lack of broadband..housing crisis. Lack of finance due to banks tightening up on their mad lending back 10 years ago.. but we can all argue here about the rotten dirty diesels..but where are the alternatives.. ev is absolutely very limited.. apart from leafs etc how come all major manufacturers haven't a full range of evs bu now..from a small micros sized ev right up to 7 seaters and decent 4x4s and all with at least 500km range..pointless blaming our government for once as it's clear that the manufacturer has a long way to go also..currently I could hitch up my heavy 2 axle trailer and drive rural cork to Belfast and return again without any stops and on a full tank of diesel I'd only be slightly under half when I'd return home...how much planning and arsing around would the same journey take with an ev.and ie there even any mid size ev van available here that could tow a heavy trailer..also my van is now 12 years old and once there's fuel in the tank ive still got full bhp. What power would I hope to get from an electric van after 12 years.. it would probably be gone to recycling center after 6 or 7..
    Maybe some of the well educated owners of current evs could compare their vehicles to mine and take up the towing and every day regular duties that our tdi vehicles have to endure and reply back ..
    Evs are at their infancy yet and not all smoke ..pollution and nox gasses are being produced by diesels..look at factories and manufacturing plants..
    Wow. So much misinformed crap. Where to start??

1 -Cork - Belfast - Cork is ~850km round trip.
    Pulling a heavy twin axle trailer what van do you have that can do 1700km on one tank? I've owned 2 heavy duty pickup trucks that even with twin tank setup (150 litres+ in both cases) could not do that trip unladen, let alone towing.

2 - You will not still have "full bhp" after 12 years with your van. It will be significantly down on power. An early leaf from 2011 still puts out the same power as it did on day 1.

3 - Broadband, housing, music, anti government whinging is not related to EVs at all.

4 - There are not many major EVs for many reasons, from shortages of battery supplies, to more expensive to build due to less supply, to fossil fuel manufacturers don't want to retool, to losing income on repair work, etc ad nauseum.

I do 50-60k per year and am on my second EV at this stage, a hyundai Ioniq. 200km real world range, and 170-180 of that range achievable at speeds in excess of 130 on the motorway. I have owned 7 litre pickups in the past and the current crop of EVs will not match that towing capacity, but the need for a 7 litre beast is not a common one. I had to import my trucks from America as they were not even sold here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Your name rings a bell on the forum. I think we established before that EV's are a long way off for you. The only EV that can tow like yours is a Model X which is for crazy money.

You have to stay on diesel for a long time yet. I dont think anybody here would try to convince you otherwise.

However, you are not the norm.

Current EV's are very suitable to alot of people.
    The trick is to ensure that the people that it does suit are encouraged to buy them.

Its not a case of shoving EV's down everyones throat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

There is a fairly simple answer to this, have you ever been in Kingscourt in your life?

Well if you had and you got out you would never want to go back. The poor old Leaf had enough of it and just shut itself down.....like think of it, Kingscourt is that bad you decided Cavan town was better.....the poor poor car

Thanks..kcross delighted that you can respect my situation and why an ev certainly wouldn't suit my demands..BUT for many commuters out there that simply need to get from home to work and not any very long journeys then absolutely the ev ticks all boxes..
    HOWEVER as for elm 327.. he seems to make assertions that a round trip cork to Belfast is 1700km..wow. the island isn't that big. My door to Belfast is 450km.one way and. Yes. Another 450 to return home.. 900km and my van can easily undertake this on 3/4 of a fuel tank. Regardless of weather conditions.. I'll still have fuel to spare..not sure what type diesel guzzlers you drive but my basic point is ..this journey would be currently impossible without either getting a mortgage to purchase some type of massively expensive ev 4x4 ..
    Chill out a little and remember evs have many limitations.. and trucks will simply turn to natural gas. As its currently impossible to get decent power and range.. and there are many people currently relying on diesels for work duties that would happily change over to evs. But the evs simply wouldn't handle the tasks required..
    Regards to all the ev. And TDI drivers well all see what 2019 brings along

ELM327 wrote: »

2 - You will not still have "full bhp" after 12 years with your van. It will be significantly down on power. An early leaf from 2011 still puts out the same power as it did on day 1.

Not entirely true

A diesel van serviced correctly should put out the same power after 12 years.

If the Leaf is in good health, near 100% SOH it will not lose bhp

If the battery is degraded down to 70% or so and at nearly 8 years old you can be sure it is close, it will have lost some bhp

Max Bhp vs State Of Charge/State Of Health is real

70% will be slower than 100% in terms of outright acceleration

Below 50% it will be noticeable, just look at performance EV's like Teslas, without a 100% charge they are way down on power

That's another argument for performance ICE on the track

With 10 litres of petrol in the tank a Porsche will be even quicker than a full tank

A performance EV with 10-20% charge will be way down on power

Turbo and Mike are having a love-in.

Water John wrote: »

For all you know...Turbo could be another alias of Mike/Thierry/Y2K etc.....:P

My head hurts trying to read that jumble of words. It's called a paragraph. They got invented for a reason.

As pointed out already, unless you have a tank in the trailer topping up your van you haven't a hope in hell. I have pulled single/dual/cattle trailer etc on a regular basis. Not much anymore but I can tell you that you haven't a hope in hell doing that journey without refilling, even a couple of times.

Diesel engine lose BHP from the moment they first start running, so no idea what your talking about.

I think everyone will say here their is engines/fuels for all jobs. Has anyone on this forum said electric was for every car/van user in Ireland? not a hope.

Maybe one question to answer, what percentage of the population in Ireland need to pull a trailer? not even a double axle. Just any sort of trailer.

I know I have a hitch on one of my cars, have it over 15 months and it still is sitting in the boot never even put on to use :-)

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    M

Diesel engine lose BHP from the moment they first start running, so no idea what your talking about.

That's EVs!

https://c1cleantechnicacom-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/files/2018/08/Tesla-Model-3-SOC-Dyno-Results.jpg

10,652 posts

Not even one memorable one

As much as Shefwedfan, Elm, Mad_Lad ,Unkel etc annoy me

They at least have personalities and post some good stuff from time to time

Mike9832 wrote: »

Wrong topic...

A diesel engine will lose Bhp with age....so your car which had 50 to start with probably has 25Bhp now :P:P:P

Mike9832 wrote: »

That's a very interesting graph!

An observation: power and torque are 100% no matter what stage of charge up to about 60km/h (or 4500rpm on the single speed setup). This means you always get maximum acceleration away from the traffic lights, even with a near empty battery

A thought: because of the above, I assume there is no inherent loss of power and torque at a lower state of charge, but rather an ECU map of power / torque depending on state of charge. In other words, the computer lets the car use less and less power and torque when the battery empties. Like a modern turbo diesel, there should be a way to remap the ECU, and again like a modern turbo diesel, this will invalidate the warranty, unless done by the OEM itself (at a superinflated cost) :p

Bonus points for anyone who can find similar dyno results for other EVs

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Thats almost impossible to answer. How long is a piece of string type question.

Its like asking what mpg would you get from your diesel in the same scenario. Would you be able to answer it for your car?

Generally the worst case scenario for an EV (or any car actually) is high speed on the motorway in the wind and rain. Thats the only figure you really need. Every other scenario should be better than that.

I don't have a diesel. My petrol car does 20 to 25 mpg is such a scenario.
    I know it's hard to answer but if electric cars are to be for the masses, it is something that would need to be tried as everyone driving an electric will not be a hyper miler trying to eek out the last mile from their fill of electricity.
    So I could imagine that I would get less than half the possible range is such as scenario.
    Anyone like to do an experiment at a mondello trackday?

I don't have a diesel. My petrol car does 20 to 25 mpg is such a scenario.
    I know it's hard to answer but if electric cars are to be for the masses, it is something that would need to be tried as everyone driving an electric will not be a hyper miler trying to eek out the last mile from their fill of electricity.
    So I could imagine that I would get less than half the possible range is such as scenario.
    Anyone like to do an experiment at a mondello trackday?

Not sure what the question is? Most people are doing less than 50km per day and another load less than 100km per day. A 40kWh car will give them loads of range. Motorway or not....so why would loads of people go around hyper milling? especially when they fill up every night at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Electric cars are the modern horse and carriage. Any decent length journey and you have to find an inn while the horses are fed and rested, before continuing your journey.

Since the horse, electric cars are the first and only form of transport that spends more time refueling than moving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

cnocbui wrote: »
    Electric cars are the modern horse and carriage. Any decent length journey and you have to find an inn while the horses are fed and rested, before continuing your journey.

Since the horse, electric cars are the first and only form of transport that spends more time refueling than moving.

Yep, my EV spends the night refueling while I sleep

What a pile of horse s**t

LOL what a load of bollox. My car has probably the smallest battery in the market today. Yet I only need to charge for 30 minutes after driving on the motorway for the guts of two hours. It is generally accepted that you need to take at least a 15 minute break per two hours of driving anyway

I would prefer if that 30 minutes was quicker, I'll admit that. With the impending Ionity chargers, it will be down to about 20 minutes. In many EVs for sale today, you could drive for 4 hours without charging, if you were so irresponsible to chose to do that...

EV is still a maturing tech but getting there. Luddites dissing something new, is not new. We are now in the end runs of diesel engine production for cars. No more R & D or tooling.
    If an EV doesn't suit you, petrol and hybrid is an option available.

Jesus..johnwaters. did I read correctly that you now actually condone the use of petrol..ie fossil fuel..??? Wow if the ev vehicles were as good as all that and there was at least a full passenger range of ev vehicles then why one day are you singing the praises of evs..and cutting the bollox out of diesel powered vehicles ..and the condoning the use of petrol..
    Sorry but for all our sakes. Diesel powered vehicles will continue to be manufactured for a long number of years yet.. I've already covered this in an earlier reply to this article..for once can the ev owners of the very small number of a specific form of transport give a little respect to the much wider range of transportation users and operators here on boards.. maybe you don't like the actual truth..but you have a good look around in the next few days and you will actually realize that if we currently relied
    Alone on electric vehicles here in Ireland..please include emergency services. Transportation of goods.public transport.private transport of even more than 5 people there would be virtually feck all moving in Ireland..
    Maybe things will slowly improve over the next 10 to 15 years for evs but while the charging infrastructure isn't good here in Ireland..you must clearly agree that the small number of manufacturers and types of electric vehicles currently being produced is absolutely ****e
    Compared to the list of manufacturers of petrol and diesel vehicles and each with a very very long range of vehicle types..from small cars up to buses. And heavy goods..
    Think a little respect at least some of your ev friends have common courtesy

Jesus..johnwaters. did I read correctly that you now actually condone the use of petrol..ie fossil fuel..??? Wow if the ev vehicles were as good as all that and there was at least a full passenger range of ev vehicles then why one day are you singing the praises of evs..and cutting the bollox out of diesel powered vehicles ..and the condoning the use of petrol..
    Sorry but for all our sakes. Diesel powered vehicles will continue to be manufactured for a long number of years yet.. I've already covered this in an earlier reply to this article..for once can the ev owners of the very small number of a specific form of transport give a little respect to the much wider range of transportation users and operators here on boards.. maybe you don't like the actual truth..but you have a good look around in the next few days and you will actually realize that if we currently relied
    Alone on electric vehicles here in Ireland..please include emergency services. Transportation of goods.public transport.private transport of even more than 5 people there would be virtually feck all moving in Ireland..
    Maybe things will slowly improve over the next 10 to 15 years for evs but while the charging infrastructure isn't good here in Ireland..you must clearly agree that the small number of manufacturers and types of electric vehicles currently being produced is absolutely ****e
    Compared to the list of manufacturers of petrol and diesel vehicles and each with a very very long range of vehicle types..from small cars up to buses. And heavy goods..
    Think a little respect at least some of your ev friends have common courtesy

Why are you posting on electric car forum?
    P.S

Public transports: buses and trains are already electric...trams as well
    More than 5 people, well look above. Hundred of millions of people don’t have cars and get around using public transport in every other country....every single day

Police in every country, including Ireland, use electric vehicles....electric is better and faster in cities....

My advice, quit now

• Advertisement

Never had a falling out with my EV colleagues. Very realistic person, as I said I drive a diesel ATM, OH has a Leaf 30. I will move in time. Will keep a small ICE van for farm use.
    I think we should move as quickly as possible to EV generally. Been looked at over many threads and EVs would be a very good buy for the majority of motorists.
    Majority of charging is done at home. We have a shortage of FCPs and indeed a shortage of a full selection of EVs, but both of those are improving.
    The overall push should be to become a carbon neutral country. EVs are just one key part of that mosaic.

Never had a falling out with my EV colleagues. Very realistic person, as I said I drive a diesel ATM, OH has a Leaf 30. I will move in time. Will keep a small ICE van for farm use.
    I think we should move as quickly as possible to EV generally. Been looked at over many threads and EVs would be a very good buy for the majority of motorists.
    Majority of charging is done at home. We have a shortage of FCPs and indeed a shortage of a full selection of EVs, but both of those are improving.
    The overall push should be to become a carbon neutral country. EVs are just one key part of that mosaic.

I don't take any of this carbon neutral or co2 targets serious as long as we don't have feed in tariff. Surely it would be a major leap to have many new builds producing their a own power from renewable sources and feeding the grid too.
    Government would be far better targeting this than throwing money as random seai retrofit schemes that from what I've seen are riddled with cowboys and are producing questionable results.

Government would be far better targeting this than throwing money as random seai retrofit schemes that from what I've seen are riddled with cowboys and are producing questionable results.

The SEAI grant for PV installs only started in October and will only be available for installs done by SEAI approved PV installers (there's very few of them)

But I agree with your point. A reasonable feed in tariff would have been much better to get people to install solar PV themselves, it would take a huge pressure / responsibility off the government because people are responsible for their own installs and it would be a very cheap source of electricity (the FIT needs to be cheaper than the cost to produce electricity on a large scale). It would also take the pressure off the emissions fines we are about to pay and it would be hugely scalable. A standard Irish house can easily produce more electricity than it consumes.

The SEAI grant for PV installs only started in October and will only be available for installs done by SEAI approved PV installers (there's very few of them)

But I agree with your point. A reasonable feed in tariff would have been much better to get people to install solar PV themselves, it would take a huge pressure / responsibility off the government because people are responsible for their own installs and it would be a very cheap source of electricity (the FIT needs to be cheaper than the cost to produce electricity on a large scale). It would also take the pressure off the emissions fines we are about to pay and it would be hugely scalable. A standard Irish house can easily produce more electricity than it consumes.

To be honest I wasn't referring to the PV grants as that could be a reasonable scheme but they are throwing money at insulation and general
    Retro fit schemes with little thought put into needs of individual properties. A lot of wasted money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

I feel for your Dad's misfortune, OP.

I think my next car will be a plug-in hybrid (Currently drive an oldish hybrid).

A lot of the EV crowd seem to think PHEVs are the spawn of the devil, but when you mostly do short journeys but want to be able to take a long one from time to time they seem to be the best solution.

blackbox wrote: »
    I feel for your Dad's misfortune, OP.

I think my next car will be a plug-in hybrid (Currently drive an oldish hybrid).

A lot of the EV crowd seem to think PHEVs are the spawn of the devil, but when you mostly do short journeys but want to be able to take a long one from time to time they seem to be the best solution.

Not really 100% true. I am a big advocate for hybrid. Most people are and see it as a great option to move away from diesel

Some people dont like PHEV using the charging network because they have a petrol engine to get home and the BEV user doesn't

Personally, it is a free country and a free system. So everyone is entitled to use.

But the biggest issue with hybrid is that bull**** campaign from Toyota about self charging. That just annoys people.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Can't imagine any of this would help with the range anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 18 niall_eidw

niall_eidw wrote: »
    This is obviously an infrastructure issue, rather than specifically a Nissan issue.

I'll be in Carrick-on-Shannon over the New Year and will check the status of the chargers. I'll need to know before taking delivery of my new LEAF in January, as I will be heading to Leitrim fairly regular basis.

Guys,

I took a tour around Carrick-on-Shannon today. There are three charging locations in the town:

First location was at the Carrick-Craft boat yard a Type-2 AC Socket 22kW point with two ports. Only one port was working, ESB ecar connect App reflected accurate status. This location is secluded and very quiet.

Second location was Esso Service Station, Sligo Road, Carrick-on-Shannon, CHAdeMO DC 50kW and dual port Type-2 AC Socket 22kW, all working and ESB ecar connect App reflected accurate status.

Third location was Bush hotel in the town, while the hotel address is Main Street, the charger may be around the back of the hotel. As a Type-2 AC Socket 3.7kW, I didn't bother to check. ESB ecar connect App suggested you had to contact the hotel owners for access, but it appeared to be available.

Hope this helps somebody.

Happy New Year all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

I use the chargers in Carrick all the time as it is part of my commute. The ones at the Bush Hotel have never worked. At the County Council offices only one of them has worked for the last year. The one that does work is often occupied in the morning by the county council Nissan van.

Which leaves Lunneys Esso garage. This location seems to have become way busier recently. The fast charger in particular is frequently occupied at busy times. It’s rarely broken though.

ironmonkey wrote: »
    I use the chargers in Carrick all the time as it is part of my commute. The ones at the Bush Hotel have never worked. At the County Council offices only one of them has worked for the last year. The one that does work is often occupied in the morning by the county council Nissan van.

Which leaves Lunneys Esso garage. This location seems to have become way busier recently. The fast charger in particular is frequently occupied at busy times. It’s rarely broken though.

That's an accurate assessment. I stayed in the Bush Hotel about 2 years ago and told them the CP didn't work. I knew from the reaction from staff that they were likely to stay that way (basically they didn't know anything about it).

The FCP at Lunney's has 2 x SCP sockets beside it, which is very handy. I plugged in there and went to the cinema... car at 94% when I got back. Nice.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I plugged in there and went to the cinema... car at 94% when I got back. Nice.

Was the film "The Longest Story Ever Told"? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement