Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retailer demanded Visa Debit card !!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

uptothetop wrote: »
    Looks like guy wanted to scam you. It is called dumping. Basically the terminal apart from processing transaction, actually records all the data like card number, exp date, cvv, your name, etc. Set of this data, together with the pin code can be found on dark net and be sold for anything between 10 - 100 euros. These details can be recorded on the blank card and be linked to your bank account.
    Dial Hard wrote: »
    That's quite the leap.

But not impossible, probably best be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Surely it would be best practice to avoid any one else handling your card in order to avoid card skimming and cloning?

The only rule set out by the bank is not to let them take the card away out of your site. It's a very recent development that card machines are linked to the cash register, at least on a large scale. Before that you handed the card to the shopkeeper. He /she entered the amount directly into the card machine & turned it around for you to enter your pin. He/she then handed back the card to you.

My generation are well used to handing over our cards because up until around 2000 there was no chip & pin. They slid the magnetic strip along the side of the machine. You then signed the slip. Before that they took a carbon imprint of card. Again you signed this. There are still some countries without chip and pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

D3V!L wrote: »
    I went into a local convenience store on a well known large round-about in Dublin recently. Its not a shop I would be in regularly but happened to be in the bank next door.

I needed a drink so bought a soft drink and asked could I pay with my card. The shop keeper plonks the card machine on the counter as you normally would and then demanded my card to tap it !!

I don't use the tap facility because it takes forever for transactions to go through. I told him I don't use it and then told me he wants my card to put it into the machine. I'm a grown man and fairly dexterous so can manage the basics like using a credit card machine and tying my laces. :rolleyes:

He got quite aggravated by me not just handing over my debit card so I told him to keep his drink and i'll take my business elsewhere. When I got back into the car shocked I told my wife and she said months ago she had the same problem with him.

Are there any consumer or banking regulations regarding the use of card machines and who would I report this to ??

Why not just get cash there !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

sham58107 wrote: »
    Why not just get cash there !!!

They had none left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Just bought 28quid worth of stuff 10minutes ago and it's already taken from my account. What bank you with? Aib takes it quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm with AIB and contactless goes out instantly. I also have another account with Boi which I don't use as often and as far as I know payments go out instantly too.

Any transactions (contactless or pin) with aib business debit card take about 3 days to show up on the account.

I believe in picking my battles and arguing with shop keeper about who will handle the card seems to me total waste of time as does using pin for miniscule payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

In my experience some card machines need a few prompts (pressing enter a few times, enter & cancel etc.) once you've entered the card before they take you to the PIN menu. I'm willing to forgive the shopkeeper if he didn't want to watch you fumble around waiting for 20 seconds because your card "wouldn't work". He probably could have been more polite about it, I used to say "May I?" before reaching out for the card and I don't think anyone has ever rejected me in favour of doing it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I have a gprs terminal and had some problems with the network. Was playing with my own card and chip and pin transactions were declined. Tried contactless and it worked even though there were no gprs signal. Changed the network and once i got the signal, money appeared in my account. So it does take longer sometimes with contactless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

troyzer wrote:
    You seem a bit fragile. I don't think I've ever heard someone say that tapping the card is slower than chip and PIN. It just isn't.

I think he is referring to the fact that it can take longer to show on the online banking statement. I find that with BoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depending on floor limits and how the individual terminals work it can happen that contactless payments are stored and batched when there is poor connectivity; whereas chip and pin is rarely allowed in these cases.

However it (and swipe, and not present) *can* all be stored and batched so it's not a clear cut chip = immediate and tap = not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I love the way the whole thread has been completely detailed into the tap verus insert debait.

The issue was the retailer demanding the card.

Advertisement