Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New houses in Rathcormac, lengthier commuting times?

• 06-12-2018 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I noticed that there is a planning application for 96 houses to be built in Rathcormac (on the west side of the village, near enough to Bride Rovers GAA ground).

While I know we badly need housing in this country, I do wonder about the capacity of the R639 into Cork with more people living in the area. The village facilities are not entirely up to scratch at this point. While there does seem to be a revival of the village centre, without Spar and Dooley's it'd have very little. The place is crying out for a proper walking loop as well.

Anyone from around the area have any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,

I noticed that there is a planning application for 96 houses to be built in Rathcormac (on the west side of the village, near enough to Bride Rovers GAA ground).

While I know we badly need housing in this country, I do wonder about the capacity of the R639 into Cork with more people living in the area. The village facilities are not entirely up to scratch at this point. While there does seem to be a revival of the village centre, without Spar and Dooley's it'd have very little. The place is crying out for a proper walking loop as well.

It's the same for most places outside Dublin. From rathcormac, it's only less that 30 to 45 mins on bad day. Then they do the dunkettle upgrade then times will improve.rathcormac like most town were hurt with 2008 crash. Fermoy only 7 mins away .Fermoy could do with a dunnes stores but that another story. Rathcormac has the basics for now. If more houses built there then some of the closed un-used properties should get bought and used. A restaurant and few more shops be nice start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I dont think a restaurant will do anything in the village tbh, angels cafe opened up and it’s very quiet in there, the Rathcormac inn are doing good again and the landlord said it’s very quiet during the week for food
    I think thats the story in all the rural pubs now. Places like Mallow will have pubs survive because of its population. There will be a demand for pub grub but villages especially if bypassed by a motorway will find it tough

For a anyone know what's happening to petrol station in rathcormac.looks like it was sold but nothing since

Hope it's petrol station as one needed

Just got update from cork council on planning for new shop and fuel pumps and ev charging and car parking.new shop 2 storeys building.about time

• Advertisement

Any idea who is doing it ?
    Rumours about the fella that was running amber in fermoy bought it

Doesn't say as I got in email about planning .Just says 2 storey building with pertol/diesel pumps. And food area abd shop and ev parking and 12 car parking spaces. Says knocking all old buildings and building new. It's needed badly. Sounds like amber or simular setup

Any idea who is doing it ?
    Rumours about the fella that was running amber in fermoy bought it

Theres room for the 2 of them :-). Give a buzz to the place .abit anyways

service station (former use), including the demolition of all structures on site, and the construction of a 2- storey service station of 280sq.m gross floor area incorporating a net convenience retail area of 80sq.m an ancillary hot food deli and food preparation area, and toilet on the ground floor, and ancillary office, storage, and staff area on the upper floor. The forecourt area will comprise a canopy with illuminated corporate signage and 2 no. fuel pump dispensing locations, 1 no. 43,000 litres underground diesel fuel storage tank with associated pipework and overground fill points. Parking will comprise 12 no car parking spaces (including 1 no. disabled parking spaces and 1 no electric car charge point), and bicycle stands. The development will also consist of refuse compound; modifications to the existing 2 no vehicular accesses from R639, illuminated signage, lighting and ancillary treatments, associated drainage works on a site of 0.112ha

I heard Atkins is going on that side of the village just passed the garage on the left

Going to be a busy spot during the summer if they all coming there. Could be interesting. A bit of competition in the area.
    About time we got good fuel station with good services. Save going to fermoy.

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,

Would be fine if the motorway was not tolled at the very next junction. All that traffic will force it's way up towards Watergrasshill

• Advertisement

Would be fine if the motorway was not tolled at the very next junction. All that traffic will force it's way up towards Watergrasshill

Almost never take the tolls. Not saving much . Save 2 mins on motorway for 1.90. Not worth it. Should be discount for locals and that never happening.

Almost never take the tolls. Not saving much . Save 2 mins on motorway for 1.90. Not worth it. Should be discount for locals and that never happening.

But it does lead to getting stuck behind tractors or HGV, especially if one is trying to overtake the other on the hill up past Kilshannig, and can cause a line of traffic that flows all the way to Blackpool over Upper-Glanmire because of it.

But it does lead to getting stuck behind tractors or HGV, especially if one is trying to overtake the other on the hill up past Kilshannig, and can cause a line of traffic that flows all the way to Blackpool over Upper-Glanmire because of it.

Normally go to watergrasshill from rathcormac and get on motorway there. Most of time in 2 to 4 mins max. Been luck with tractors so far as can pass un few wide open spots. Before anymore house in rathcormac.it needs better services. The clinic not taking any more people. Need a petrol station as a joke at moment. There was to be a new petrol station but nothing so far.
    It's great to have more new home but need improvement in rathcormac first to take more people. The planners dont seem to have a clue !!!!

Advertisement