Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker switch earth wires

Options
  • 06-12-2018 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, had to try putting the cooker switch back on wall after replacing the back splash, there are 3 ground wires, 2 were secured into a hole in back of switch tightened with a screw, a third had come loose and was just hanging, I just added it into the same hole as the other 2 and tightened the screw, it was shorter, but managed to get some of it in. Is that OK, or can it cause problems? I generally stay away from electrics or gas, Tried 3 electricians but nobody called, guess the job was too small.. so had to do myself. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Castlerea1121

laddy123 wrote: »
    Hi, had to try putting the cooker switch back on wall after replacing the back splash, there are 3 ground wires, 2 were secured into a hole in back of switch tightened with a screw, a third had come loose and was just hanging, I just added it into the same hole as the other 2 and tightened the screw, it was shorter, but managed to get some of it in. Is that OK, or can it cause problems? I generally stay away from electrics or gas, Tried 3 electricians but nobody called, guess the job was too small.. so had to do myself. Thanks

Could cause problems if the bare copper is showing a picture would help but from what your saying I don't get why there would be 3 going into the metal back box unless the 2 from the supply and load are in there then one into the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 6 laddy123

Could cause problems if the bare copper is showing a picture would help but from what your saying I don't get why there would be 3 going into the metal back box unless the 2 from the supply and load are in there then one into the switch
    Thanks for your reply. The other problem I got is the cables are very short, the quartz backsplash added over 30mil, so I had to cut 75mm screws, the 50mm were too short, and use extenders, and on top of that one of the metal parts you screw into in the wall had no threads, so after several hours I eventually got the face on.. There is definitely 3 yellow and green wires, 2 were wrapped around each other and put into the hole on back of the socket face, I added the 3rd in as well, there is a small bit of the copper showing, but to even get what I got into the hole was a struggle. Thanks

Thanks for your reply. The other problem I got is the cables are very short, the quartz backsplash added over 30mil, so I had to cut 75mm screws, the 50mm were too short, and use extenders, and on top of that one of the metal parts you screw into in the wall had no threads, so after several hours I eventually got the face on.. There is definitely 3 yellow and green wires, 2 were wrapped around each other and put into the hole on back of the socket face, I added the 3rd in as well, there is a small bit of the copper showing, but to even get what I got into the hole was a struggle. Thanks
    If its only a small bit you will probably be OK as long as you have one of the earths going from the metal back box to the switch you will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6 laddy123

If its only a small bit you will probably be OK as long as you have one of the earths going from the metal back box to the switch you will be ok

Thank you, it's only a small bit exposed, all 3 are terminated in the back of the switch. 2 completely inserted, and the 3rd about half in, half exposed.. My concern was fire, but from what I have read this should not be a concern, as the main switch should trip if there was a problem anyways.. Thanks again, sorry for the ignorance on his topic,electrics and gas I generally avoid.

Thank you, it's only a small bit exposed, all 3 are terminated in the back of the switch. 2 completely inserted, and the 3rd about half in, half exposed.. My concern was fire, but from what I have read this should not be a concern, as the main switch should trip if there was a problem anyways.. Thanks again, sorry for the ignorance on his topic,electrics and gas I generally avoid.

No problem only concern about fire would be if your live or neutral were lose in the switch lose earth would just cause it to trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

No problem only concern about fire would be if your live or neutral were lose in the switch lose earth would just cause it to trip

A loose cpc wouldn't trip anything unless it came into contact with a live part. However a loose cpc is potentially dangerous.

Advertisement