Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you dont see much in football anymore

• 06-12-2018 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A thread to discuss changes in the game over the years and features that have more or less gone missing due to changes in tactics, innovation etc

- A player on each post when defending a corner. Still happens but it seems to be becoming less prevalent. Zonal marking seems the preference over defending posts.

-A keeper being chipped from outside the box as a way of scoring. Its rare that strikers even attempt goals like this in the modern game whereas years back it was common. Perhpas it is because in the modern game keepers are 6 foot 6 and above, most of them can easily tip their bar without leaving the ground.

-Indirect free kick in the box given due to a backpass being handled. Dont think Ive seen one of these in at least three or four years. Keepers dont seem to get caught out on this anymore.

-Controversial transfers between rivals. The type of transfer that has fans riled up against the departing player. Im thinking Cantona from Leeds to Manu, Figo from Barca to Madrid, Sol Campbell from Spurs to Arsenal. Controversial transfers seem to be a thing of the past.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

A good well timed physical tackle that wins the ball not resulting in opponent doing two or three rolls on the ground....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Muahahaha wrote: »

- A player on each post when defending a corner. Still happens but it seems to be becoming less prevalent. Zonal marking seems the preference over defending posts.
    Not sure if zonal comes into it, but they figured out the number of times a player would clear the ball from standing on a post was so low that they'd be better off the line, actively defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Joziah Spicy Wristband

The transfer to rivals thing happens a lot in Italy, rarely it happens in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A thread to discuss changes in the game over the years and features that have more or less gone missing due to changes in tactics, innovation etc

-A keeper being chipped from outside the box as a way of scoring. Its rare that strikers even attempt goals like this in the modern game whereas years back it was common. Perhpas it is because in the modern game keepers are 6 foot 6 and above, most of them can easily tip their bar without leaving the ground.

-Indirect free kick in the box given due to a backpass being handled. Dont think Ive seen one of these in at least three or four years. Keepers dont seem to get caught out on this anymore.

-Controversial transfers between rivals. The type of transfer that has fans riled up against the departing player. Im thinking Cantona from Leeds to Manu, Figo from Barca to Madrid, Sol Campbell from Spurs to Arsenal. Controversial transfers seem to be a thing of the past.

Back pass rule has been in for about 26 or 27 years

Most players were not even born when it came in so they know nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Keepers wearing caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Black boots

I thought the issue was that it kept everyone onside if the ball was cleared and played back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

On your last point, last one i can really thibk of was Tevez from UTD to City

And indirect free kicks i havent seen in years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

United winning matches

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

With all the player haircuts these days, I don't see any good old fashioned combovers like the Charlton brothers...

The game's gone, I tell ya...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Alexis Sanchez..............

Tevez to City, Rooney (almost to City), RVP to United, Adebayour to City, Mata and Matic to United, Raheem Sterling to City, Nasri to City, Ashley Cole to Chelsea, Torres to Chelsea, Alan Smith got death threats when he moved to United, kissing the Leeds crest and promising fans he will never leave to go to United and stay with them after they got relegated.......then less than 2 months later he is wearing a Utd jersey, Lampard to Chelsea, Arry flip flopping between Portsmouth and Southampton!

Harry Kane to...........................may break the recent decrease in such transfers if Spurs don't qualify for CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The obvious one for me, which is a consequence of the stricter approach taken towards tackling these days, is the demise of the 'hard man' footballers. The tough, uncompromising, nasty bastards that would do anything required to win. The blood and thunder, ferocious challenges, the confrontations, it's all a shadow of the glory days.

Guys like Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, Duncan Ferguson, Jaap Stam, Vinnie Jones, players that had an edge and were prepared to play right on it. That's not really possible these days to the same extent because of the shift in thinking about what constitutes a fair challenge, not to mention the increasing role of VAR that means every action can be scrutinized.

I think the 2000s were the last hurrah for this type of player. It was fun while it lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A Mourinho Masterclass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Outfield players going in goals.

Sub Goalies have ruined that, you rarely see players swapping jerseys and having a go in goals after the Keeper got injured or sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Reminds me of the time in 1990 Niall Quiin scored for Man City and then the City keeper got sent off. Quinn went in nets and saved the resulting penalty, he was defintely MOTM that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Skid X wrote: »

Sub Goalies have ruined that, you rarely see players swapping jerseys and having a go in goals after the Keeper got injured or sent off.

Sub goalies have been around for years as far as I remember ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Skid X wrote: »

Most of the time this happened subs had all been used up keeper gets injured or sent off it very rarely happened in premier league era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Joziah Spicy Wristband

Most of the time this happened subs had all been used up keeper gets injured or sent off it very rarely happened in premier league era.

John Terry and John O Shea were the last ones I remember doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

'Keepers actually catching the ball instead of punching, slapping or waving at the ball when it comes into their domain.

Definitely helped if you had a pair of shovels at the end of your wrists though, ala Big Pat.........

Pat-Jennings-320x.jpg?itok=VTbR5NkD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Keepers taking penalties.

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »

I can't recall this ever being a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Was just watching the BT documentary, Too Good To Go Down and Alex Stepney took them the year United got relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

People supporting their local side

Managers smoking fags in the dugout.

greendom wrote: »
    Was just watching the BT documentary, Too Good To Go Down and Alex Stepney took them the year United got relegated.

A few anomalies over decades, South Americans particularly but hardly something that would establish it as anywhere near a normal practice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Now that was certainly a thing

Be careful with your use of words, Eoghan McDermott is on a social justice warrior crusade this week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Not sure if zonal comes into it, but they figured out the number of times a player would clear the ball from standing on a post was so low that they'd be better off the line, actively defending.

It's not that either.

The analysis into where team's opponents usually deliver the ball from a corner is what has lead to more zonal marking.

ie Liverpool's corners from the left-hand-side in their last 5 games:

If their opponents look into it properly, they'd know to flood the near post/left-hand side of penalty box

2Wr1CS.jpg

Likewise, if Shaqiri is taking it from the left-hand-side..... well then....Flood your near post!!

wYuGTl.jpg

It's also easier to defend a cross than a shot. That's probably the simplest way to describe it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sub goalies have been around for years as far as I remember ?

They're mandatory now though aren't they? Managers could, and would, take the risk sometimes to have an extra outfield player on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Happened to Jose didn't it? That's the most recent one I can remember. Made his 3 subs all at once in the first half when things were going wrong iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Believe it or not, there was some football played before the Premier League was concocted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Dogs running onto the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭garra

Scots and Irish making up half the team. Now you're lucky to see 1 or 2 involved.

Commentators being unable or unwilling to pronounce the name of "the spaniard" or "the south american"

1st team Squads of 16 players

Not being abused by locals when travelling over for a match, taking our seats blah blah

Saint and Greavsie on a Saturday morning

The match at 3pm on Saturdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Being excited for MOTD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

allybhoy wrote: »
    Dogs running onto the pitch

I was going to say that too but this week has seen the below go viral!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46453844

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭rodders999

Inflatable bananas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

rodders999 wrote: »
    Inflatable bananas.

Careful now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Inflatable beach balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Moustaches!!! severe lack of Moustaches in football but maybe that's just the times

Players awkwardly celebrating goals, jumping up like a clown not knowing what to do.

Mucky pitches!!

Orange balls on a blanket of snow, modern stadia and pitch improvements have robbed us of this magnificent spectacle.

proper tackling seems to be gone out of the game now, no more hatchet men.

Lack of top world class players particularly defenders, when you saw some of the names in the 90s you'd almost want a time machine just to go back and watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RichT wrote: »
    'Keepers actually catching the ball instead of punching, slapping or waving at the ball when it comes into their domain.

Actually thats a good one, back in the 80s and 90s keepers regulary catched shots. For some like Neville Southall it was almost a matter of pride to catch it rather than tip it out for a corner. I wonder what changed? Maybe it is a combination of balls being much lighter plus players having much stronger shots due to strength & conditioning. Id imagine the ball is moving a fair bit faster in the modern game and hence keepers are coached to just do the safest thing and tip it out for a corner.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Big time Charlie's being the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

shanec1928 wrote: »

Leverkusen keeper, Hans-Jorg Butt, was a regular penalty taker during their golden age in the 2000s. Rarely missed from what I remember.

Also, yer man Chilavert for Paraguay used to take penalties AND free-kicks, played in a couple of WCs and definitely came close with a few long-range shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

A substitute who has his jersey and shin pads on in case he has to go on at a moments notice.

When did it become a ‘thing’ for subs not to wear jerseys on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Being excited for MOTD.

This. It used to be possible to avoid scores before WhatsApp groups, Soccer Saturday, etc.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago the newsreader before MOTD still made the "look away now" comment and then proceeded to read out the results :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Collie D wrote: »
    This. It used to be possible to avoid scores before WhatsApp groups, Soccer Saturday, etc.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago the newsreader before MOTD still made the "look away now" comment and then proceeded to read out the results :)

It's one of my favourite things about living in a different time zone - can usually avoid the scores until MOTD at 2:30pm my time. No-one else I might see before then around here gives a toss, so as long as I stay off social media stuff from folks at home till then I'm golden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Orange footballs in the winter.
    Genuine nobody's becoming overnight stars - pre-internet and everyone having a wikipedia page e.g. Roy Essandoah
    Goalkeepers wearing tracksuit bottoms - Kharine & Kiraly the last 2 I remember

6a34433b-14b9-419a-9eba-8444b4702a53.jpg
    4811025.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Racism

retalivity wrote: »

Goalkeepers wearing tracksuit bottoms - Kharine & Kiraly the last 2 I remember

Taibi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

• Advertisement
Advertisement