Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you dont see much in football anymore

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Live games on television without the score graphic on screen for the full game, that started with the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Skid X wrote: »
    Live games on television without the score graphic on screen for the full game, that started with the Premier League.

no, it didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Genuinely terrible pitches in the top division. Matches abandoned due to weather in England so much rarer now.
    Sliding tackles of course! Refs being crowded a la Man Utd under Ferguson.

no, it didn't!

It did
    ESPN and ABC, although pioneers in the United States, were not the first to come up with the idea. The score box was devised about two years earlier, in England, by David Hill, who was running Sky Sports and was soon after named president of Fox Sports. His inspiration came as he watched, with growing frustration, a soccer match on the BBC.

“I had been walking the dogs near the Wormwood Scrubs prison,” he said by telephone from Los Angeles. “I got home and sat down around 20 after 3 and wondered what the score was, and for 20 minutes I was never told, and I got angry.

“If I were on the football ground, I would have seen the score. So I said if we ever got soccer, I’d do it. And when we got the Premier League in August 1992, I did it, and my boss called and said: ‘That is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. Take it down.’ Two other guys talked me out of it.”

So, Hill said, when his boss called the next week to again order that the box be deleted, he ignored him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/13/sports/the-tv-score-box-that-grew-and-grew.html

Go to youtube? type in a match from the 80s and a lot of them have the score graphic in the corner

Maybe just the big games though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Collie D wrote: »
    This. It used to be possible to avoid scores before WhatsApp groups, Soccer Saturday, etc.

Yeah the excitement of MOTD has gone somewhat and some weeks I dont tune in. At this stage you often see the main goals of the day on the 6 o clock news and that ruins it a bit.

re- the scoreboard on the screen - I do remember watching The Match at 3pm Sunday on ITV and if you joined late you didnt know the score until half time or before that if there was a goal. Im not sure when it properly changed over but I cant remember Sky not having a score on the screen.

Lately Ive noticed when a goal is scored some TV companies are only putting up that scorer rather than the scorers and minutes of all the previous goals. Its a head wreck if you join a game late with a few goals scored and you dont know who scored them and what minute.

Go to youtube? type in a match from the 80s and a lot of them have the score graphic in the corner

They were not there when the game was originally broadcast, they have been overlaid on the original footage at some point.

As the New York Times article states, this was a Sky innovation when they launched their Premier League coverage.

I remember Richard Keys saying at the time that they had received lots of complaints from people who found it distracting, but viewers soon accepted it.

They were not there when the game was originally broadcast, they have been overlaid on the original footage at some point.

As the New York Times article states, this was a Sky innovation when they launched their Premier League coverage.

I remember Richard Keys saying at the time that they had received lots of complaints from people who found it distracting, but viewers soon accepted it.

Fair enough, I wasn't around, but looking at the graphics of the scorebox on some full games put on youtube it seems odd that if they are edited in, they would be so basic. They seem to fit the time and graphic style of the broadcast very much so. That is why I assumed they were actual genuine?

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I wasn't around, but looking at the graphics of the scorebox on some full games put on youtube it seems odd that if they are edited in, they would be so basic. They seem to fit the time and graphic style of the broadcast very much so. That is why I assumed they were actual genuine?

Yeah, maybe that was done deliberately when the game was re-broadcast to give a retro feel to the graphics.

In fairness, it's possible that some stations might have experimented with the scorebox before Sky, but they certainly claim credit for it.

Yeah, maybe that was done deliberately when the game was re-broadcast to give a retro feel to the graphics.

In fairness, it's possible that some stations might have experimented with the scorebox before Sky, but they certainly claim credit for it.

That's not like Murdoch n co at all!

Sure everyone knows that Sky invented football in 1992

FA Cup Final Songs, I'd bring them back and make them compulsory for the teams that reach the final

https://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/sport/fa-cup-final-songs-music-anfield-rap-suggs-chelsea/76068

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

retalivity wrote: »
    Goalkeepers wearing tracksuit bottoms - Kharine & Kiraly the last 2 I remember

4811025.jpg

Was it really necessary to use that picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Bobby Charlton hairstyle. Loads of football players looked like auld lads back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Bobby Charlton hairstyle. Loads of football players looked like auld lads back in the day.

Rooney was rocking one not so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Don’t often see PL teams sponsored by local companies/businesses anymore. I remember back in the 90’s you had the likes of West Ham sponsored by Dagenham Motors, Leeds by Thistle Hotels, Newcastle by Newcastle Brown Ale, Leicester by Walkers, Blackburn (and Rangers) by McEwans Lager etc.
    nowadays nearly every team everywhere is sponsored by either an airline, a major car company, a consumer electronics/telecommunications corporation or (the one I’m sick to death of seeing) a bloody betting firm (9/20 PL teams and a crazy 17/24 Championship teams sponsored by a betting company)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,469 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Cake Man wrote: »
    Don’t often see PL teams sponsored by local companies/businesses anymore. I remember back in the 90’s you had the likes of West Ham sponsored by Dagenham Motors, Leeds by Thistle Hotels, Newcastle by Newcastle Brown Ale, Leicester by Walkers, Blackburn (and Rangers) by McEwans Lager etc.
    nowadays nearly every team everywhere is sponsored by either an airline, a major car company, a consumer electronics/telecommunications corporation or (the one I’m sick to death of seeing) a bloody betting firm (9/20 PL teams and a crazy 17/24 Championship teams sponsored by a betting company)

Most of them not even in the UK market either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Liverpool captains lifting trophies

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A decent episode of Soccer AM.

Must be 15 years since its heyday.
    Gammy presenters, gammy content, gammy guests.

Bring back Topless Weather and "Football ... Elite".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Any who watches any of that banter-y Soccer AM sh*te needs their head examined. I say that as someone who watches Pro Wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Rte 3pm on a Saturday live English football which was then followed by rte 3:30pm delayed English football a few years later.

Shoot magazine with team posters

Pink evening herald at 6pm on a Saturday.

Watching Teletext to get the latest scores.

Knowing what English team all the Irish players played for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

"if you don't want to know the score in the xyz game, look away now"

The irregular Sat 3 o'clock games on terrestrial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Don't see players wearing goggles anymore like Edgar Davids, never see keepers wearing caps anymore either not sure whether that's a rule or not?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Any who watches any of that banter-y Soccer AM sh*te needs their head examined. I say that as someone who watches Pro Wrestling.

Don't get me wrong I fully agree!

There's a market for a show somewhere.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Don't see players wearing goggles anymore like Edgar Davids, never see keepers wearing caps anymore either not sure whether that's a rule or not?

David's had glaucoma! It was a necessity! It washardly a common feature in football! !
    And anyway it was 15 to 20 years ago. I'm sure medical advancements have allowed for such goggles not to be required for mild cases of the disease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

British managers over clubs constantly competing for the top 4 and beyond, Jeff.

Why does it always have to be a foreign manager Jeff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

"major wrote:

Players awkwardly celebrating goals, jumping up like a clown not knowing what to do.

The celebratory handshake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Two players kicking off at start of game or after goal is scored.

Players swapping shirts on the pitch at full time. If it happens nowadays it seems to be only in the tunnel. Even then it seems like a tradtion that has almost died out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

razorblunt wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I fully agree!

There's a market for a show somewhere.

I suppose amongst those who are the same age we were when we first enjoyed it? That would seem to be their target market, so i'd guess they've changed their style continuously to hit that bracket.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Players swapping shirts on the pitch at full time. If it happens nowadays it seems to be only in the tunnel. Even then it seems like a tradtion that has almost died out.

Think its still done as much as it used to be, but certain fans being upset at seeing their team's players doing anything other than weeping inconsolably after a loss has led to it being in the tunnel after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Players who were 25 but looked around 40.

Philipe Albert, Cantona, Peter Beardsley - He looked about 60.

Footballers swallowing their tongues. Seemed to be a real 1990s/2000s thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Leverkusen keeper, Hans-Jorg Butt, was a regular penalty taker during their golden age in the 2000s. Rarely missed from what I remember.

He took one once and was immediately chipped from the resulting kick-off as he was too busy celebrating - so there's two oddities within a minute of eachother!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sAhzBAWCNE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Drumpot wrote: »
    Two players kicking off at start of game or after goal is scored.

zJIGiE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Those shallow goals like in the local park:
    soccergoals.jpg

All seem to be box like nets now.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQH_k_OZOGxtltyFzpyFgi02OOnLFKwSeY-M05kgZuJsA_5O-ik

Maybe the odd non league team has them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭pavb2

Fortunately you don't see 'The Straddle' employed in football anymore. This was a technique adopted by football fans standing on the terraces in the 70's and 80's. 'The Straddle' involved standing with your legs apart at a precise distance to avoid the streams of urine that flowed from the back of the stand and cascaded down the terrace steps. The technique was of limited benefit and really only effective at the start of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Foul throws, or rather the ref blowing for it. Loads of em, but they always seem to get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The normal handshake has been almost completely replaced by the sporting handshake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Arghus wrote: »
    Players who were 25 but looked around 40.

Philipe Albert, Cantona, Peter Beardsley - He looked about 60.

Diego Costa. Arjen Robben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭garra

Footballers swallowing their tongues. Seemed to be a real 1990s/2000s thing.

Fantastic memory, how did you dredge that up?

The number of times the coach or doctor was seen tilting back the unconscious head of a player after another fair boot to the head, and the commentator would gleefully announce he is just checking for a tongue in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭pavb2

garra wrote: »

The number of times the coach or doctor was seen tilting back the unconscious head of a player after another fair boot to the head, and the commentator would gleefully announce he is just checking for a tongue in the mouth.

Off topic but reminds me of this story attributed to the late great Brian Clough

It's 80 minutes into an early round FA Cup clash – and a lower League side are a goal to nil up on Forest

Stuart Pearce goes into a typically full blooded challenge and comes out much the worse for wear. Having been seen by the physio for several minutes Pearce appears to be in no fit state to play on and Forest have used all their Subs.

Clough: "Well how is he?"

Physio: "He's in a bad way! He has a knock to the head and has no idea who he is"

Clough: "Well, tell him he's Pele and he's playing up front for the last ten minutes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

garra wrote: »

He might possibly be a quickly Kevin listener. :)

Happened to Staunton didn't it?

osarusan wrote: »
    The normal handshake has been almost completely replaced by the sporting handshake.

I hate when referees do that to players.
    You're not "mates" you're an authority figure, act that way.

If I did that to an auditor in work, I wouldn't last long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Muahahaha wrote: »

(Guess work here) Are there some kind of sponsorship issues here, do brands insist that the teams wear their shirts until leave the pitch on match day?? Perhaps marketting dont want to have the tv pictures showing the players tattoos or an inside out kit draped over a shoulder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

David O Leary swallowed his tongue playing for Ireland too too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The obvious one for me, which is a consequence of the stricter approach taken towards tackling these days, is the demise of the 'hard man' footballers. The tough, uncompromising, nasty bastards that would do anything required to win. The blood and thunder, ferocious challenges, the confrontations, it's all a shadow of the glory days.

Guys like Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, Duncan Ferguson, Jaap Stam, Vinnie Jones, players that had an edge and were prepared to play right on it. That's not really possible these days to the same extent because of the shift in thinking about what constitutes a fair challenge, not to mention the increasing role of VAR that means every action can be scrutinized.

I think the 2000s were the last hurrah for this type of player. It was fun while it lasted.

I'd argue Luis Suarez is this type of player, particularly if we're taking the bolded part of the definition.

Maybe the cynical way of playing these days is less with intimidating challenges / hard tackles that will earn reds and more on subtly needling players and exaggerating contact - motivated by how the game is reffed as you say. That said this is probably a good thing if it saves some broken legs. I'd rather deal with Suarez's shíthousing than have Keane coming at me deliberately trying to end my career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'd rather deal with Suarez's shíthousing than have Keane coming at me deliberately trying to end my career.

I've always said that. Much prefer some nut job to bite or spit at me (not saying Suarez has done that) than go out and try and break my leg

He might possibly be a quickly Kevin listener. :)

Bingo!

In fact, drifted off last night listening to them talking to John Moncur.

• Advertisement
Advertisement