Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

matching brushed steel sockets & cooker switch & RJ45 in Dublin?

Options
  • 07-12-2018 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to replace the stock white plastic sockets in the house with brushed steel ones. However I have a number of things I can't seem to find that match.

E.G. Double sockets are no problem, I can even get some with USB, however I also need to get matching isolation switches, a cooker switch, a fan isolation switch, and some 1 gang double faced RJ45s.

I found some on Amazon but none of them seem to match - the cooker switch seems particularly troublesome as the UK appears to more reasonably follow a 2gang form factor & some even split a socket. Is there anywhere in Dublin that's likely to have them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yes look at the MK range

You'll find something. Most electrical wholesalers have them. Check the suppliers sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PaddyGannon

Not sure where in Dublin is best for you but I know Phibsboro Electrical Wholesale do this range https://www.clicklitehouse.ie/products/deco/ or can get any of the other ranges from Lighthouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Go to a proper electrical wholesalers. They'll usually carry nice fittings. MK, Legrand, Crabtree etc etc

Legrand do some really nice looking fittings with removable plates that can be blended to decor very well.

My only word of warning is don't use 100% flat plates unless you're sure the wall is totally even. They can look bad on imperfect plasterwork.

Legrand and MK do very nice looking more traditional plates that are raised slightly (same form factor you her with a standard socket)

NB: if you're retrofitting light switches, the metal types absolutely must be earthed. Older wiring here often assumed plastic plates are used and didn't run earths to switch plates. Also remember lights usually aren't on RCDs so you can get quite a shock off a faulty metal switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Also remember lights usually aren't on RCDs so you can get quite a shock off a faulty metal switch.

You get quite a shock to reach an RCD trip level anyway. And it is unlikely to trip one without a direct, or good contact to an earthed point as well as the live point either.

That`s not to say they don`t make circuits safer, but they don`t just trip as soon as contact is made to an RCD protected circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

RCD trip level is 0.03 Amps and they're pretty sensitive and fast. I know from experience having tripped them you will barely feel it in a lot of cases.

MCB trip level on a lighting circuit could be up to 10amps and they're profiled to allow a surge. So it'll be more than that. Trip that while standing in bare feet on the kitchen tiles and it might be the last time you flick a light switch.

If you're installing metal switches, earth them!

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »
    RCD trip level is 0.03 Amps and they're pretty sensitive and fast. I know from experience having tripped them you will barely feel it in a lot of cases.
    How sensitive or fast they are is a relative term. We already know the times and currents.

RCDs dont restrict the magnitude, more the time it lasts. A short L-E does not just reach 0.03A and trip the RCD, a 1 amp RCD will also trip in series with it etc. Now a person can receive a more intense shock if stuck to the live point, but that s unlikely on a switch.

If you barely feel 30ma, you are some man. Ive tripped them myself. And had a few good shocks where they did`t trip.

Ive also never tripped one by phase contact alone.

I did at one time test the current through a person with a meter on 110v pole to pole. 15ma was the most we could achieve. And while not exactly nasty, it was a fair bit more than barely noticeable.

MCB trip level on a lighting circuit could be up to 10amps. Trip that while standing in bare feet on the kitchen tiles and it might be the last time you flick a light switch
    There is no chance of tripping a 10 amp MCB receiving a shock at 230v.

Porcelain or ceramics are probably not all that great a conductor either. There will be a few more ms`s than when wearing shoes though.
    If you're installing metal switches, earth them!
    No one is suggesting otherwise.

I might have to experiment again now

In the interests of curiosity...

Meter set to the 2ma scale, 4 photos taken this day...
    Pic 1 is meter connected to socket L terminal
    Pic 2 is view of the meter with second lead in air
    Pic 3 is second lead in hand, showing 0.015 reading
    Pic 4 is bare foot on tile, second lead in hand, reading 0.359

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4

Meter is set at 2ma scale so the readings are 15 microamps and 359 microamps. So a fair bit higher when barefoot on tiles. But still 1/3 of 1ma

At 359 microamps or 0.359 ma, it was perceivable. Since that is about an 80th of the amount required to trip an RCD, it will be a lot more than barely noticable when you do receive the shock that does trip one, and, unlikely to trip one without proper earth point contact. And that was bare foot on tiles.

There are a lot of misconceptions about RCDs, one being that they trip with any sort of contact from a person. They dont. They do however help protect when the criteria for receiving 30ma+ shocks are met.

Advertisement