Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colostrum paste

• 07-12-2018 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

anyone use colostrum paste ...life gard any good had few slow start lambs last year ...thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

NO NO NO !!!

Colostrum is called liquid gold for a reason and no powder or paste is a replacement for it!

I see fellas giving survivor instead of milking the ewe or cow and its simply not the same stuff.

The pastes and powders are just a source of heat and energy much the same as giving them a warm bottle of lucozade !

They only have a very short time line to get the benefit out of colostrum before the gut stops absorbing the proteins and antibodies so if they are not fit to suck just tube them 120 mls and walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

roosky wrote: »
    NO NO NO !!!

Colostrum is called liquid gold for a reason and no powder or paste is a replacement for it!

I see fellas giving survivor instead of milking the ewe or cow and its simply not the same stuff.

The pastes and powders are just a source of heat and energy much the same as giving them a warm bottle of lucozade !

They only have a very short time line to get the benefit out of colostrum before the gut stops absorbing the proteins and antibodies so if they are not fit to suck just tube them 120 mls and walk away.

+1, I've a neighbour that gives artificial colostrum to every newborn and nothing will convince him otherwise,
    Of course he has to give scourhalt or some other ecoli preventative to every newborn too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wrangler wrote: »
    +1, I've a neighbour that gives artificial colostrum to every newborn and nothing will convince him otherwise,
    Of course he has to give scourhalt or some other ecoli preventative to every newborn too.

Risk outweighs the benefits of not using scourhalt in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wrangler wrote: »

know a guy done the same and lambs dropped like flies in the summer time because they hadnt received enough 8in1 vaccine through their colostrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

razor8 wrote: »
    know a guy done the same and lambs dropped like flies in the summer time because they hadnt received enough 8in1 vaccine through their colostrum

That's my point, it's diluting the mothers colostrum and lambs also not drinking it in time.
    Huge pressure now to ban overuse of spectromycin, the antibiotic in scourhalt,
    Is it freely available or does it have to be got through a vet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

have a few tins on hand in case of emergency but always milk the ewe as soon as lambs are born, put it inn a bottle and they suck. always get between 100-150 mls into each lamb then walk away , last 5 years i have done this and never has a problem, i give them artifical stuff if its a ewe with one spin or no milk or something, though sometimes if another ewe has lambed earlier that day i might pull a bit from her. if your having dopey lambs at birth its prob a lack of iodine or selenium in ewes before lambing, lifeline buckets are brilliant for this, put them out 1:35 ewes about 8 weeks before lambing should sort your problem, if you see the wes devouring the bucket dont worry thats just a sign they are lacking in some mineral, when they have there diet balaced up they will eat a lot less of them. this is particularly visible if you ever put a bucket out with ewes after they lamb, they wont touch it because they dont need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I used to have a serious issue with wattery mouth (ecoli) and then i just went over the top on colostrum......if i dont see lambs up actively sucking they are tubed and i have no ecoli issue the last 3 years (touch wood)

I always have the survivor on hand but only used in conjunction with colostrum so lets say i have triplets and can only get 200 ml out of ewe ill mix that with survivor to bring it up to 360 ml and give the lambs 120ml each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dickie10 wrote: »
    have a few tins on hand in case of emergency but always milk the ewe as soon as lambs are born, put it inn a bottle and they suck. always get between 100-150 mls into each lamb then walk away , last 5 years i have done this and never has a problem, i give them artifical stuff if its a ewe with one spin or no milk or something, though sometimes if another ewe has lambed earlier that day i might pull a bit from her. if your having dopey lambs at birth its prob a lack of iodine or selenium in ewes before lambing, lifeline buckets are brilliant for this, put them out 1:35 ewes about 8 weeks before lambing should sort your problem, if you see the wes devouring the bucket dont worry thats just a sign they are lacking in some mineral, when they have there diet balaced up they will eat a lot less of them. this is particularly visible if you ever put a bucket out with ewes after they lamb, they wont touch it because they dont need it.
    +1
    for all the above.

With regard to the 'emergency', last year one of my ewes lambed a few days before the rest. The 1st lamb wouldn't stand up and I had to go work. I gave him 'Survivor' and when I returned he was standing and sucking. Like the above it wouldn't be my first choice but its a useful thing to have in the lambing shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Heard that can increase mastitis later in sheep too. Heard of someone buying one of those automatic suction pumps and had up on 20% mastitis In first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paulll77

cheers thanks was only going using as a back up ....put out life line buckets as well every year .....your know yourselfs every year diffrent

• Advertisement

jesus tell me more about mastitis in ewes? i had a bad case of this two ears ago? i used more straw and cleaned out pens more frequently last year and got ewes out a bit quicker annd didnt have any problems though.

my routine for clening out pens is fork out pens spray with strong farm disenfectant let dry if i can then lime and rebed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

my routine for clening out pens is fork out pens spray with strong farm disenfectant let dry if i can then lime and rebed

Fork,scrape,lime,straw. Wouldnt have time to let the disinfectant to dry

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

In my opinion it all comes back to feeding the ewe properly pre lambing with a good high protein ration and making sure she lambs down with plenty if milk, get that right and generally have very few problems

Advertisement