Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing on TG4 tonight 20:30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

It was entertaining anyway.

Pity Moylette didn't have a bit more power. Against a pressure fighter he needed a bit more pop in his punches to discourage your man from coming forward. I think the Mexican realised from early on he could just walk through Moylette's shots.

It is a pity. Was listening to him on the radio a few weeks back. Seems like a real humble, nice decent lad too.

Would have been nice.

Then again he's still relatively young and can improve. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

They're going to get a top 15 ranking with the WBC. No reason why the Mexican lad wouldn't be there. On what I just saw.

Ara stop. Anyone in the top 15 would likely stop the two lads on the same night.

pac_man wrote: »
    That fight was for the WBC Silver title. It's one of these bullsh1t titles that gives you an automatic top 15 ranking.

Silver titles are usually given to fairly OK top 10 guys. Dillian Whyte, Josh Taylor being examples. That's kind of a big deal.

This was for the WBC International title. It's pretty meaningless but it's really just for TV. People like to give out about those types of titles but IMO they're harmless enough. And if they help the promotion great.

It does however get you a top 15 ranking. But only with the WBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

They're going to get a top 15 ranking with the WBC. No reason why the Mexican lad wouldn't be there. On what I just saw.
    That fight was for the WBC Silver title. It's one of these bullsh1t titles that gives you an automatic top 15 ranking.

I know that but neither are close to top 15 in the world in reality.
    Cummins won the ‘WBO European middleweight’ title tonight against a light middleweight journeyman and has probably a top 15 WBO ranking as a result, but he is t even a top 50 middleweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Morrison J wrote: »
    Some pressure on Moylette tonight. Have watched a couple of his fights he's had in Boston and he's a bit amateurish. Not much power on his shots. Saw him dropped in one of them. His opponent tonight has boxed at a decent level and I might be tempted to have a bit on him at 7/1. Really hope Moylette can do it though regardless.

Never bothered backing it ffs.

Think there's a trend here with the bookies. Irish boxers are always way over priced. Lemieux to KO Spike at evens and Mayweather's odds to beat McGregor being other examples. Not a chance in hell Moylette's opponent should've been 7/1 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

By the way, the Mexican won’t even defend that ‘title’ because of sanctioning fees.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Ara stop. Anyone in the top 15 would likely stop the two lads on the same night.

Mohamed Mimoune couldn't knock a man on a pogo stick off balance. It's pretty good division though. It does have a solid enough top 15. How do you propose these guys climb rankings? Moylette got this opportunity because he won his last fight. Mexican fought some other guy. Like a 4 man play off. It's for a top 15 ranking with One of 4 sanctioning bodies.

Seems reasonable enough to me. He's still miles away from anything resembling a title shot. I don't know what the bee in your bonnet is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Thoroughly enjoyment night's entertainment from Castlebar. Of course it was a bit amateurish but all in all I thought it was pretty decent. Some enjoyable scraps.

Please please please have that announcer and Seán Bán Ballbag do more events like this around the country. Think his most incisive one of the night was "he'll want to win this, won't he?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Commentators were cat malogen. At one point, someone just said 'We'll see.' in response to a question.

Mohamed Mimoune couldn't knock a man on a pogo stick off balance. It's pretty good division though. It does have a solid enough top 15. How do you propose these guys climb rankings? Moylette got this opportunity because he won his last fight. Mexican fought some other guy. Like a 4 man play off. It's for a top 15 ranking with One of 4 sanctioning bodies.

Seems reasonable enough to me. He's still miles away from anything resembling a title shot. I don't know what the bee in your bonnet is about.

Tonight's opportunity arose because a promoter fronted the sanctioning fee in exchange for the best silverware on offer. WBC love the readies. Therefore they've got this arrangement available to boxers like Ray who have the financial backing.

• Advertisement

Tonight's opportunity arose because a promoter fronted the sanctioning fee in exchange for the best silverware on offer. WBC love the readies. Therefore they've got this arrangement available to boxers like Ray who have the financial backing.

Look. It's helping promote the sport in this country. It would have been nice had Moylette won but what do you do. Now he needs to go back to the drawing board. There's plenty there to work on, and he'll improve. I hope.

As for our man with his top 15 ranking, Dave Ryan had a top 15 WBC rank too. When he tried to climb a bit higher, he failed. We all moved on. No one got killed.

If this Mexican guy is as bad as you say, he'll get nowhere near the world title belt.

Tg4 gets their promotion, the people who tune in see a shiny belt, hopefully some young lads watching go to a boxing gym next week.

Everyone's a winner.

You're taking this way too seriously man.

Look. It's helping promote the sport in this country. It would have been nice had Moylette won but what do you do. Now he needs to go back to the drawing board. There's plenty there to work on, and he'll improve. I hope.

As for our man with his top 15 ranking, Dave Ryan had a top 15 WBC rank too. When he tried to climb a bit higher, he failed. We all moved on. No one got killed.

If this Mexican guy is as bad as you say, he'll get nowhere near the world title belt.

Tg4 gets their promotion, the people who tune in see a shiny belt, hopefully some young lads watching go to a boxing gym next week.

Everyone's a winner.

You're taking this way too seriously man.

Actually I'm not. You will see in my earlier posts what I thought of tonight's event.
    I have no problem with lads fighting for belts & such, often they are very much aware of where they are at in the grand scheme of rankings. I'm happy to watch the boxing regardless of level.

There has been some talk on this thread about top 15. Top 15 refers to Lomachenko, Garcia et al. Enough said. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Reading a lot of online posts about this being a super show...

I missed Ray’s fight but saw the rest....

Am I missing something? Bunch of absolute mismatches is what I saw...

With bizarre commentary..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

People backing due to blind patriotism. The Irish love that. Wasn't Mcgregor something stupid like 4/1 to beat Mayweather?

Was something like that yeah. Absolute madness.

walshb wrote: »

Twas a fine country show walshb. Low budget, but great to have it on the telly.

Twas a fine country show walshb. Low budget, but great to have it on the telly.

Well, I only saw four fights...was the televised card 5 fights in total?

Maybe the rest of card was very enjoyable..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

To be honest, I thought the 'Journeymen' they brought in were a lot better than others we've seen over the years. At least they didn't just lie down and they gave their opponents plenty to think about and rounds under their belts. (Talking about Spike and Dylan Morans opponents here....)

Commentary was a bit ropey but I'd agree that it's a bit awkward having friends of the boxer in the ring doing analysis. They're never going to slate or criticise 'one of their own' and they're always going to try to talk him up. Worse was the judge that gave it 95-94 to Ray !! 96-92 was probably about right so fair play to that judge. Good enough fight though, the Mexican was one tough cookie and never took a backward step. Ray did well also to come back from that knockdown.

Overall I enjoyed the card and I'd love to see more of these events around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭dougm1970

well. what a great atmosphere there last night, really was. dunno if any of you are familiar with a.j. lieblings books, but on the balcony last night looking down on the ring during the moylette fight, which was an old school bit of slugging a lot of the time, the crowd atmosphere, being in a theatre, it almost felt like how liebling described the smaller hall shows he attended and would sit back in the crowd away from the rest of the press to get what he thought was a better view.......anyway....thats neither here or there...

the moylette fight i couldnt help but think as the rounds went on that he had the ability, if he had a different game plan, to just beat his opponent....not talking about changing things he hasnt got, but what he has....he has a good gas tank that seen him through ten hard rounds...and he has good footwork....my son commented to me that he was surprised that packy collins was urging him forward so much during the fight, when we were thinking slow the rounds down...keep a distance and dart in and out with jabs and use angles...and he appears to have the tools for that.......this man who beat him was good, but i think on another night with a less exciting and safer gameplan, he might, might, have had the beating of him on points.

i was talking with moylettes old amatuer trainer afterwards and one of the tv panel....and the feeling was, that all things considered, that moylette had reached his potential and he couldnt expect to go further.

where does that leave him ?.....try again for 2-3 years and maybe change the style to less attacking seeing as its obvious he hasnt got massive punching power ?......or maybe go on the sparring partner circuit ?....he has a good reputation in joe gallaghers gym now as that.

as for the top 15 rating to the winner of this fight....well, that was very confusing over the past few days.......this fight was billed as a wbc international title with winner getting into their top 15....then....2 days out reports said it was changed to a wbc SILVER international strap, which has no such top 15 rating, dont think it gives any automatic rating....and the weigh-in announced the fight as such........THEN last night at the fight they were announcing it as a WBC international title...and from the clips from tv i seen after i came home, the commentary seemed to be referring to it as an international title and they were making reference to the top 15 rating.

spike o sullivan....first time to meet him...what a gent....great crack too....walked into the venue with him from the car park so got some chatting time........his fight looked like he wanted to get them rounds in....from my vantage point he had his opponent open at times and just stood off him, spike also got tagged a few times, but he didnt look worried....it wasnt a great fight...an exhibition type fight....but to me it definitely looked like spike was using it to get rounds in and carried his opponent at times......but, spike did not look great at all doing it.....hard to know whats his road now at his age too.

great support, a big crowd travelled just to see him, for young arron gethins from sligo...looked like he wanted to finish he man quick for the show, but after 2 rounds he settled and looked like he knew it was better to concentrate on the points...he'll be one to watch, very tall for the weight, cut to the bone and all lean muscle, and trained by block reynolds who is good trainer.

anyway....the above is just my reactions / thinking aloud....from being there last night.....i have often been to fights that looked completely different when viewed back on tv....so i wont be surprised if people dont agree with my view on what i seen.

got some great time chatting with sean mannion into the wee hours....treat for me, as i followed that mans career and have read a lot on him...a real folk hero in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Who was that cracking looking girl with the black hair at the end of ray's fight? It panned into her in the audience,. I must find this women she's wifey 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Thoroughly enjoyment night's entertainment from Castlebar. Of course it was a bit amateurish but all in all I thought it was pretty decent. Some enjoyable scraps.

Please please please have that announcer and Seán Bán Ballbag do more events like this around the country. Think his most incisive one of the night was "he'll want to win this, won't he?"

I laughed out loud when he suggested to Ryan Burnett that 34 year old Roy Sheahan was a big prospect for the future. Think RB felt too bad to contradict him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It is a pity. Was listening to him on the radio a few weeks back. Seems like a real humble, nice decent lad too.

Would have been nice.

Then again he's still relatively young and can improve. Fingers crossed.

To be honest no amount of improvement is going to be enough for him to be even fringe world level.

Lets just hope he got a decent pay check last night, and on the back of this maybe bring more televised boxing to the west of Ireland at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

To be honest no amount of improvement is going to be enough for him to be even fringe world level.

Lets just hope he got a decent pay check last night, and on the back of this maybe bring more televised boxing to the west of Ireland at the same time.

Yeah, it's a shame really as he seems like a good lad who could easily build a cult following if he put a run of high profile wins together. Feather fists, casual defence and a questionable jaw are never really going to be a good combo at this level though.

Still, it shows the potential for boxing. A sub-standard card with some popular moderately talented boxers gets very big buzz with little promotion. Imagine if the fights were more competitive and had something on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i was thinking the last few weeks if his preperation was right. not making excuses.
    but...he was on radio and online media doing interviews daily...he was running about organising sponsorship...he was always on facebook replying to wellwishers.
    not criticising but made me wonder where the time was left for concentrating on training.

Agreed. These lads, albeit green pros, are career boxers...they are what they are...

Ray was a very good amateur. Just a different game in pros. I have seen several of his pro fights. He’s just not near quality level at pro..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Agreed. These lads, albeit green pros, are career boxers...they are what they are...

Ray was a very good amateur. Just a different game in pros. I have seen several of his pro fights. He’s just not near quality level at pro..

He was never consistent though. You would never know how he'd get on. He could go out and beat the best, or just not switch on on the day

Went out and won a European gold medal and then got beaten the next year in the seniors by the fella who had just won the intermediates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

He was never consistent though. You would never know how he'd get on. He could go out and beat the best, or just not switch on on the day

Went out and won a European gold medal and then got beaten the next year in the seniors by the fella who had just won the intermediates.

Agreed he was an ok amateur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Try_harder wrote: »
    Agreed he was an ok amateur

Oh Jesus, here we go again!!

"Ok amateur" = World Youth champion and European Senior champion!

I wish I was an "ok amateur".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

megadodge wrote: »
    Oh Jesus, here we go again!!

"Ok amateur" = World Youth champion and European Senior champion!

I wish I was an "ok amateur".

The world is full of world youth champions that went nowhere

World Elite Senior Or Olympic winner is a Top amateur to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Try_harder wrote: »
    The world is full of world youth champions that went nowhere

No it's not!

What a stupid post.

And winning a Senior European championship makes a boxer "ok".

That's even more stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

megadodge wrote: »
    No it's not!

What a stupid post.

And winning a Senior European championship makes a boxer "ok".

That's even more stupid.

Nobody can take those achievements away from him. European golds are rare.

But if I recall correctly, he didn't win that many senior titles. And I think he was kept around the High Performance based on his experience. Didn't he get a few box-offs during his day that were more to do with giving him a second shot to get on the team?

It might be more of a case of people being disappointed for him after expectations being set too high from his underage exploits. It's not saying he wasn't very good.

Advertisement