Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avengers: Endgame [** SPOILERS FROM POST 613 **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For people that haven't seen it yet, some people have found the film to be a little emotional / draining, given its length and content. It may also be hard on children. Go with someone and look after yourself.

It may also be useful to re-watch the previous films, especially anything from about 2012 on.

Were some lines of conversation inaudible / just not clear?
    Where does Loki end up?
    Was Korg in the battle?
    ILikeBoats wrote: »
    - Only just realised Cap gave mjolinor back to past Thor
    Do we know this for a fact? Where and when?

Drumpot wrote: »
    I have to say that moment where all the
    women heroes come to together to fight in the end battle
    was truly terrible. In a massive
    battle all the woman will gravitate to each other at the same moment
    ?
    While it's a bit gimmicky, it serves a useful point in showing that there are quite a few women there.
    how did captain America age?
    When he returned all the stones, instead of coming back to the present, he then went to the 1940s to grow old with Peggy.
    Anybody who died ... and Gamora we knew are dead. Gomora 2 is replacing her
    I thought it was Gomora 2 that died.

This spoiler may spoil this and a future film. Be sure you want to take the chance.
    Is Black Widow pregnant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

I have to say that moment where all the
    women heroes come to together to fight in the end battle
    was truly terrible. In a massive
    battle all the woman will gravitate to each other at the same moment
    ?

Yeah i loved the movie to bits overall, but that particular scene nearly had my eyeballs burrow out of the back of my head they rolled back so much :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

nix wrote: »
    Yeah i loved the movie to bits overall, but that particular scene nearly had my eyeballs burrow out of the back of my head they rolled back so much :pac:

That moment was OK in principle but was executed very poorly.
    All of them just standing in a line. It should have been like the shot from The Avengers were the camera moved around to their different locations and followed their actions in a natural manner instead of just standing in a line like their are queuing for a bus.
    One of the few missteps in an otherwise amazing achievement of filmmaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Victor wrote: »
    This spoiler may spoiler this and a future film. Be sure you want to take the chance.
    Is Black Widow pregnant?

No mention of it in the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

RickBlaine wrote: »
    All of them just standing in a line. It should have been like the shot from The Avengers were the camera moved around to their different locations and followed their actions in a natural manner instead of just standing in a line like their are queuing for a bus.

They should
    just include everybody if they have to do it though, its the Avengers, not the Vagengers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

RickBlaine wrote: »

My 12 year old daughter thought that scene was pretty cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just about to go watch it.. Any mid or end scenes?

I have avoided this thread.

Just about to go watch it.. Any mid or end scenes?

I have avoided this thread.

No end scenes just the sound of s hammer on metal at the end..don't think that's a spolier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My 12 year old daughter thought that scene was pretty cool

I can see why it would appeal to a certain target audience and marvel do generally make movies that appeal to most people on some level. There are plenty of bits in movies I watch with my kids that I don’t like that they do, I would be surprised if I liked everything they did, not least a 12 year old girl. I suppose, maybe the fact some enjoyed that element justifys its inclusion.

I hate days like this .. most friends have yet to see the movie so can't talk to them about it :( would hate to have not seen it yet either :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Do we know this for a fact? Where and when?

I think that he gave the hammer back when he returned the infinity stone, so just like the stone never really went missing his hammer also never left Asgard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WARNING!

Spoilers from this post onward. If you haven't seen the film yet, stop reading! No spoiler tags will be used.

WARNING!

Spoilers from this post onward. If you haven't seen the film yet, stop reading!

Does this mean we don't use spoiler tags?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does this mean we don't use spoiler tags?

Correct. I've clarified this above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

So how about that scene where batman turned up.

Correct. I've clarified this above.

Anyone else a bit emotional at the end? Feel like I've lived with these characters for last 11 years and bit of a hole there now..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

What's the story with your man, one of the directors - does he always cameo in his own work or is it just the Marvel films he's directed?

He was doc that treated Fury in secret in The Winter Soldier.

Guy Zemo killed and replaced in Civil War.

In this he was the guy in Cap's support group.

Think he did one in IW but can't recall specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Anyone else a bit emotional at the end? Feel like I've lived with these characters for last 11 years and bit of a hole there now..

Yeah it's the same with anything that comes to a close after so long. A lot of fans don't seem enthused about what comes after but I'm sure that will subside once we know where Marvel are going from here.

It'll be hard to replace Cap and Tony for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Watched it in 3D IMAX over in England after a long day traveling and watching United lose at home. Totes emosh but I'm blaming being so tired!
    I enjoyed it but a lot of things felt flat for me.
    Captain Marvel is way over powered but Thanos seemed to be a little also. He didn't have any of the power stones and was well able to take on all comers. Thor alone was able to defeat him previously.
    I would have liked to see more of the time travel seem to have been in play throughout the previous movies. Difficult to retcon but I'm sure there were possibilities.
    Cap I'm not sure how he aged so much but ok I'll go along with it but surely him marrying Peggy changes a LOT. Like her niece Sharon who he had a thing with and helped him as a result. Bit incestuos haha
    Lift scene was a brilliant turnaround! Completely expecting a fight scene but that was excellently handled!

Yeah it's the same with anything that comes to a close after so long. A lot of fans don't seem enthused about what comes after but I'm sure that will subside once we know where Marvel are going from here.

It'll be hard to replace Cap and Tony for me.

Same for me.. I guess the team looked weak at the end if Ultron as well but they eeked out a few more appearances from Tony and Capt.. how can falcon replace Capt? He hasnt super strength? And why is buckie so approving... If anything give him the shield.. there is some lineup of characters still there all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loved every minute of it..

Part heist, part action, part comedy!

Something for everyone.. one scene.. you know the one.. had the cinema in absolute silence. Could have a pin-drop.

The Russo Brothers have such an incredible love for these movies, and it shows.

Am I alone thinking there was too much comedy after the brooding atmosphere of IW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, emotional rollercoaster. I wasn't too big on the whole time travel but it was fun watching them visit previous films. Like above, that elevator scene was class as was beer belly Thor. They nerfed him after he owned infinity war but still owned most scenes he was in.

Also Korg!!!!!

Need to process the whole thing.

Epic ending to an epic journey.

Well done Marvel, you done good

tenor.gif?itemid=4575950

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Pter wrote: »

The best part was that it was Jason Bourne on Asgard in that scene with the play.
    stesaurus wrote: »
    Cap I'm not sure how he aged so much but ok I'll go along with it but surely him marrying Peggy changes a LOT. Like her niece Sharon who he had a thing with and helped him as a result. Bit incestuos haha
    But they aren't related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Am I alone thinking there was too much comedy after the brooding atmosphere of IW?

Thor was a big negative of the movie imo. Way too much comedy from who, throughout.

I'd have seen the dude stuff as him hiding his pain, but it never really moves beyond that or changes. Right up to the last scene... Just not a fan of it. Thought he was better in infinity war, and in ragnarok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A messy film that's the MCU at its best and worst. Step up from Infinity War, but quite a bit short of the few standalone entries I'm fondest of.

It's a big problem that this is top-heavy when it comes to the worst. Fitful moments of wit or excitement aside, I found the first two hours of this pretty tedious. It has the typical Russo Brothers problem of restless editing and underwhelming visuals. Didn't land the mix of humour and pathos. The New Asgard sequence is a good example - whereas Ragnarok had a sustained silliness to it, that same tone doesn't work anywhere near as well when we get a couple of minutes of it in the middle of what's quite a different film.

Equally, they don't really take the time to properly probe the devastating consequences of the snap - outside of our heroes and a few vaguely apocalyptic establishing shots, it's not entirely clear what we're dealing with here. Ant-Man's intro goes some way towards addressing this, but again it feels like the plot is always there, tapping its watch and demanding more and more stuff. As is often the way in these films, all this ultimately gives the impression of things being half-baked - something discernibly lacking, but it's never entirely clear what this is.

Credit where credit’s due though: ‘killing’ Thanos early and so easily is a bold move, and that purposeful anti-climax sells the weird melancholy many of the characters are feeling after.

The whole time travel business is awkwardly handled too. The overt references to better time travel films is a gamble, but draws attention to how this struggles. Sure, there's moments of nice fan service when they're revisiting past sequences, but it's very much devoid of the sort of cleverness you see in, say, Back to the Future 2. A couple of Marvel films have a tendency to be genre homages, but completely outclassed by the films they take inspiration from - Winter Soldier being 'like a 70s conspiracy thriller but dumb as ****' being the prime example. As a heist film, this is just underwhelming, but ultimately it's functional enough to get the chess pieces where they need to be.

Also, I just couldn't buy into the CG for either Thanos or Banner-Hulk here. They're too clunky and cartoonish, with an otherwise bland, functional aesthetic that doesn't allow for it. I mean, the bloody talking raccoon fits in better :p

But as we transition into that final hour, things do pick up. The battle that follows is pretty standard explosion fest set in a terminally bland battlefield, but the 'Avengers Assemble' moment is one of the few genuine goosebumpy moments in this entire corporate juggernaut. The extravagant scale of it is hard not to admire, and while Alan Silvestri's score is largely excessive and melodramatic, that Avengers theme does the heavy lifting admirably.

One of the problems I've long had with the MCU films is that they're so rarely complete - like they're always teasing the next chapter, even when the immediate conflict is wrapped up. There's no doubt some of that here with some overt setup for a couple of imminent films. But, perhaps for the first time ever, at least some of the characters get some closure. It is, in its sense, a touch startling to see such a thing in an apparent 'forever franchise', with the next entry mere weeks away. But there are endings here. They're cheesy as hell, mind you, and their permanence certainly has to be questioned given this franchise's proven penchant for reincarnation.

If only for a little while longer, though, this finally feels like it wraps some stuff up - a film that isn't teeing up phase whatever, but offering up if not a full stop at least a moderately classy ellipsis. In a forever franchise that has traditionally blatantly advertised to fans in the end credits, you have to take what you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I can see why it would appeal to a certain target audience and marvel do generally make movies that appeal to most people on some level. There are plenty of bits in movies I watch with my kids that I don’t like that they do, I would be surprised if I liked everything they did, not least a 12 year old girl. I suppose, maybe the fact some enjoyed that element justifys its inclusion.

Very magnanimous of you.

Actually, did forget about the cringey bit where Captain Marvel got the glove from Spidey and then suddenly every female superhero showed up to help her. Ugh!

• Advertisement

Basq wrote:
    Actually, did forget about the cringey bit where Captain Marvel got the glove from Spidey and then suddenly every female superhero showed up to help her. Ugh!

I found it a bit cringe too but if it inspires the young people I can live with it and am all for it. I can see my daughter's loving it when they are old enough to sit through a 3 hour movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

are they going to address the global catastrophe of 3.5bn people just turning up after 5 years in future movies or will it just be a magic reset button?
    I mean how do you cope with food production etc after that amount of time at such a lower capacity?

But they aren't related.
    you wouldn't consider your wife's niece being incest? Em ok.
    If he married Peggy he'd have watched her grow up from a baby knowing his younger self would eventually hit that. She was pretty close with aunt Peggy, spoke at her funeral etc.
    And he wouldn't have been able to change events as it was explained that's not how time travel works.

you wouldn't consider your wife's niece being incest? Em ok.
    If he married Peggy he'd have watched her grow up from a baby knowing his younger self would eventually hit that. She was pretty close with aunt Peggy, spoke at her funeral etc.
    And he wouldn't have been able to change events as it was explained that's not how time travel works.
    But they said in the movie you can't effect the time line in such a way (them taking the stones not negating the snap). Dunno how the time stuff really works though. It's tough to work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Slydice wrote: »

Seems the record for a opening is $640m for Infinity War. This will surely break that record and could be close to a billion if not over it after its release this weekend.

I found it a bit cringe too but if it inspires the young people I can live with it and am all for it. I can see my daughter's loving it when they are old enough to sit through a 3 hour movie.

Yeah, I won't derail this thread but the problem is that a scene like this is needed. I didn't mind it and felt it was fine and like you say if it inspires people, surely that outweighs any negatives there may be with it.

As for Captain Marvel being overpowered, she didn't seem to end her fight well against Thanos. Don't know how that can be too powerful. Maybe if she killed him easily that could be true.

• Advertisement

But they said in the movie you can't effect the time line in such a way (them taking the stones not negating the snap). Dunno how the time stuff really works though. It's tough to work out.
    Exactly so whatever he went back and did, had to have already happened. So whoever Peggy did marry we know know was really Cap but with a hidden identity. Then that leads to Cap knowing his younger self will eventually get with Sharon and he couldn't do a thing to change it. It's a mind bender really

But now I'm confusing myself with the timeline gobbledegook because how does Thanos get to where he snaps his fingers if he got pulled into the future from a time before that. Huh they really didn't explain things well...

Enzokk wrote:
    Yeah, I won't derail this thread but the problem is that a scene like this is needed. I didn't mind it and felt it was fine and like you say if it inspires people, surely that outweighs any negatives there may be with it.

I probably found it cringe because it wasn't for me. That's ok because every thing else in this movie was.

Hail hydra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Enzokk wrote: »

As for Captain Marvel being overpowered, she didn't seem to end her fight well against Thanos. Don't know how that can be too powerful. Maybe if she killed him easily that could be true.

my 16yo daughter literally shouted YEAH at that scene. Gave out to me for not enjoying it(as much as her) and saying it was a bit forced and it could have been handled with a drone shot/type pan over all the females fighting and then standing behind him.

Exactly so whatever he went back and did, had to have already happened. So whoever Peggy did marry we know know was really Cap but with a hidden identity. Then that leads to Cap knowing his younger self will eventually get with Sharon and he couldn't do a thing to change it. It's a mind bender really

But now I'm confusing myself with the timeline gobbledegook because how does Thanos get to where he snaps his fingers if he got pulled into the future from a time before that. Huh they really didn't explain things well...

I don't think that is right either.

The hail hydra, fight vs Cap and loki disappearing with the stone wouldn't have happened originally.

Probably best not to try work it out cause I can't place the realities being different with Cap being old at the end. Feels like it should be one or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I am with you. They did not get the blend right and needed to do more to give you a sense of the devastation that has happened and how it has impacted. The trailers seemed to do a better job of this, bizarrely.

That being said, it was a largely enjoyable movie that did it's best to try to get everybody into the right spot with run time being the enemy as it tried to set everything up for that battle.

• Advertisement

I don't think that is right either.

The hail hydra, fight vs Cap and loki disappearing with the stone wouldn't have happened originally.

Probably best not to try work it out cause I can't place the realities being different with Cap being old at the end. Feels like it should be one or the other.

Agreed they're taking liberties with their own rules but anyway I don't really care it's a movie about superheroes afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The fact they showed Peter Quill dancing again to 'Come and Get Your Love' means I rated this film 10/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unearthly wrote: »
    The fact they showed Peter Quill dancing again to 'Come and get your love' means I rated this film 10/10

That bit made me wish James Gunn was behind the camera. I’m not the biggest fan of the GotG films, but they boast a clearly defined sense of style and tone. The Russo films come across as merely perfunctory in comparison - do the job, but not much of a signature of their own. Part of that comes with the territory with a crossover, but the reason GotG, Ragnarok and Black Panther are IMO the strongest of the Marvel films is because they’re a lot more confident stylistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I thought Hugh Jackman was a better batman than he was as wolverine though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

Cared little for Infinity War and felt its runtime. Got on board with Endgame when it started
    doing BttF 2
    and enjoyed the ride for the most part.
    Iron Man committing genocide to solve the problem and Spidey adtually using instant kill mode is ehhhh though.

Didn't realise until someone pointed it out but for Cap to
    return the Soul Stone (and how is this done?), he has to encounter Red Skull.

Unearthly wrote: »
    The fact they showed Peter Quill dancing again to 'Come and Get Your Love' means I rated this film 10/10

That was actually brilliant when the camera cut back and dropped the soundtrack to show how stupid he actually looked dancing like a loon

What scenes from trailers didn't make it, other than
    the one with Black Widow on the firing range

Ridley wrote: »
    Iron Man committing genocide
    It's hardly genocide against an army.

This spoiler may spoil this and a future film. Be sure you want to take the chance.
    Ridley wrote: »
    Didn't realise until someone pointed it out but for Cap to return the Soul Stone (and how is this done?), he has to encounter Red Skull.
    A soul for a soul. Black Widow lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What scenes from trailers didn't make it, other than
    the one with Black Widow on the firing range

End scene from Captain Marvel and that same bit from the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

It's hardly genocide against an army.

Fair enough,
    "Iron Man's total annihilation of Thanos' forces"
    then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

dreamers75 wrote: »
    End scene from Captain Marvel and that same bit from the trailer.

End scenes normally don't make it to the next movie do they

• Advertisement
Advertisement